Total Votes : 38

Wendy Day

Distrustful Detective

6,175 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:08 am
I regularly go to the library and check out a ton of books (I go thrugh them so fast) and the last time I went I just got so mad, I always save my favorite book to read last and I started to read, but it seemed odd like the book was skiping around so I went back to see if I had missed any thing, and some one had carfully torn out a few importent pages so that if you where just fliping thrugh the book you wouldn't notice! I am SO MAD!!! crying
Has this (or any thing simular) ever happend to you?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:27 am
Alright, first of all, I'm moving this to the main forum. It's pretty general so it can go there. And I wouldn't call them evil people, that's a little harsh. First of all, I don't like it when people do this on purpose. It's rude and they should have to replace the book, although of course there is no way you can tell if they ripped out any pages on first glance. There are some instances where pages just fall out if a book is worn. I've had this happen to me, although it was with my own books, not those from a library. My Harry Potter books are completely falling apart... But yes, that bugs me too...  

penandpaper67
Captain

UberTumbleweed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:48 am
Vandalizing library property is disguisting, vile, and pathetic behaviour of cruel idiots.

Information is for everyone, and that includes fiction. Libraries are expensive public institutions, and vandalisim undermines their service.

The vandalism described is definitely intentional. I don't necessarily disagree with the term "evil" to describe it. Unintentional vandalism isn't evil, but it's disguisting to not inform the librarians of it. It's simply unacceptable behaviour.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:41 pm
It's happened to me before... but it's not a really big deal for me since it's not really my book to begin with, ahahaha.

But if it's from my own personal collection, then yeah, I'd get pissed.  

irock708

5 to midnight
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:25 pm
Woah! I didn't know there were people so idiotic! What kinda loser runs around and rips out pages in books?! I mean it's not like those pages'll make any sense if they read them later without the rest of the book so if they're going to steal they may as well take the whole book! Man that's just really stupid! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:49 pm
Since I volunteer at the library near my house, I know exactly what all of you are talking about. It makes me so mad when someone messes up a book. It drives me crazy when there are stains all over the pages too. mad

You know what's sadder though? Once books aren't popular enough or are scribbled in (yes, some idiots actually write in books they don't own) the librarians have to destroy them. This process involves taking off all library stickers (so people can't go to the dumpsters, take the books out and turn them back into the library. Other people aren't fond of this process either...) and then crying tearing pages out and crying tearing off the cover if it's a paperback. Isn't that awful!!! Here I am, nearly crying just thinking about it.

Okay, so that turned into a bit of a rant, but I think it acuratly states how I feel...  

Audini

XGamerRichy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:40 am
Well, I never borrow from the library, so it doesn't affect me, but I do think that people who do stuff like that to books are just down right moronic. I wouldn't call them evil, but I would call them cruel idiotic morons.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:19 pm
Audini
Once books aren't popular enough or are scribbled in (yes, some idiots actually write in books they don't own) the librarians have to destroy them. .

You should speak to the library's management about this. Books can be removed from ciculation effectively without destroying them. My city's libraries black out the tags, then sell them in a big bunch for 50 cents each.

This doesn't work for books that people have torn pages out of: they can't be saved unless the pages can be found again! But for other damages, they can still be sold.  

UberTumbleweed

XGamerRichy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 pm
I've seen someone destroy a book, although it wasn't a library book. At school, whilst coming out from lunch, some people I know decided to destroy a mini bible (We got them in an assembly a couple of years back). Now, I'm not Christian, but I thought it was terribly cruel, one because they just left the debris on the floor, and secondly because they were literally destroying something that is of religious importance to some people.

It's quite annoying when people do that...  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:32 pm
Quote:
You should speak to the library's management about this. Books can be removed from ciculation effectively without destroying them. My city's libraries black out the tags, then sell them in a big bunch for 50 cents each.

We actually do have a program where books are sold for 50 cents if they're paperback and a dollar if they're hardback. I don't know why all the books can't go there, though. The ones I had to destroy seemed perfectly fine to me. I didn't see any missing pages or anything... All I know is that I won't ever destroy books again if I don't have to.  

Audini

Islua

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:17 pm
That is absolutley horrible, I don't know why people would do this.. it doesn't give other people a chance to read the story like it's supposed to be read.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:34 am
User Image Through the glass, I watched you breathe,
Bound and drowned, and paler than you've ever been...
---

Yeah, I hate it when people do that.

You say they were carefully torn out... Do you believe that they'd been removed on purpose? It's one thing if pages fall out because of normal wear and tear, but if people deliberately remove the pages, then they're just sad losers who clearly have no lives and decide to go and annoy other people because of that. The sadder part is that those people can't see your reaction, so what's the point?

Even worse is the sacrilege I witnessed while out shopping the other week. I went into Waterstone's, because it has a pretty nice manga section, and then my friend and I looked and they'd torn pages out of mangas and stuck them to the wall! I nearly died from the horror of it... And it wasn't only one book, there were clearly about six or seven volumes there...

Sorry about the rant, I'm just a little vengeful right now... ><;;;

---
With your life the only thing on my mind,
We pull you from the water... User Image

mizzshy

WickedSong

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:37 pm
I can't think of any specific occasions, but I know that bothers me. It would be really bad if you were reading a book for the first time and key parts of the plot were torn out...

I think people do that on purpose to have the pleasure of destroying something and future people's happiness. Stupid people. Maybe if they learned to read, they wouldn't be bored enough to tear out pages (and yes, that is an insult, not an observation).  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:52 pm
Wow, the worst thing I've ever saw happen to a book was a ripped cover... Not entire pages being ripped out @_@  

shininglory

Ashley_whitlock

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:29 am
shininglory
Wow, the worst thing I've ever saw happen to a book was a ripped cover... Not entire pages being ripped out @_@

SAME.........but ive seen like some times ppl write in the book........ stressed  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff