Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Prayer fails, daughter of idiot parents dies Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rick Dawkins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 pm
This is sincerely a tragedy: Wisconsin, there was an 11 year old girl who became sick and her parents, instead of taking her to a doctor during the 30 days of sickness before the girl finally died, just tried to pray for her. The girl had contracted diabetes, which is easily treatable.

To the parents I would most humbly like to offer the following:

YOU COMPLETE ******** IDIOTS! Congratulations, you killed your daughter. This is a child we're talking about, you were completely aware that medicine works but you willingly CHOSE IGNORANCE and murdered her! She was dependent on your care and you ******** killed her.

I want to make something clear: I'm not pointing to all Christians and saying "look what Christianity leads to for everyone." However, this is exactly what "Christian Scientists" are preaching. Dogma leads to the death of reasoning, leads to death, literally! Can you make a path from atheism to such evil actions? No. Can you make a path from atheism to good actions? No. Can you draw a path from dogmatic Christianity to evil actions? Absolutely!

Does religion always lead to murder? No, but you're seeing the potential of the applications of religion. scream  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:43 am
Wow, it's times like these that makes me feel remorse for something I said in another thread:

Quote:

P.S. I also think another option should be added to the poll where you die while praying for something worthwhile from your God.

Makes me feel bad in the sense that it holds true.

Also, is anyone taking action against these parents? I mean, it'd be ******** ridiculous if they got away with it. Whether it's their religious beliefs about the power of prayer or what it's still neglect and they still have the blood of their own on their hands.

Reichkovich

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:29 am
Reichkovich
Wow, it's times like these that makes me feel remorse for something I said in another thread:

Quote:

P.S. I also think another option should be added to the poll where you die while praying for something worthwhile from your God.

Also, is anyone taking action against these parents? I mean, it'd be ******** ridiculous if they got away with it. Whether it's their religious beliefs about the power of prayer or what it's still neglect and they still have the blood of their own on their hands.
User Image

Someone damn well better be taking action. This is ******** ridiculous.

It's times like these where I feel like saying, "******** it! Let's frag the entire planet!"

But that would be mean.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 am
Meirelle
Reichkovich

Quote:

User Image

It's times like these where I feel like saying, "******** it! Let's frag the entire planet!"

But that would be mean.

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:41 am
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Meirelle
Reichkovich

Quote:

User Image

But that would be mean.

I reserve the responsibility of pressing the button.

On topic: There's not much I can say. I can only hope that something like this is seen as an issue of neglect, and not of religious freedom. ******** the assholes who are on the side of parents like that, it's just sick.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:52 am
Does anyone have a source for this? I'd love to find out what (if anything) happened to those terribly neglectful parents.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:10 pm
Welcome to the ******** up practice of "Lets pray our children to death!", which in many states is still perfectly legal because it is part of "religious practice"...

I hope one day in the future it is possible to prosecute people who do this without them whining and bitching about being persecuted for thier religious beliefs, and about being limited.

It's okay to follow religion, but when your child or family member is deathly sick...take them to a doctor because praying isn't going to stop strep from killing, pneumonia from choking the brain of oxygen, and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:17 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Does anyone have a source for this? I'd love to find out what (if anything) happened to those terribly neglectful parents.

Well here is an article from Fox news:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341574,00.html

This is some one's reaction to the whole thing:
http://alexandertheatheist.blogspot.com/2008/03/parents-pray-kill-daughter.html
That is interesting to read.

Also, the practice is called "Faith Healing"....so if you Google that you may come up with some relevant information.

Sanguvixen

Rick Dawkins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:19 pm
This whole religious freedom thing I hear some people saying is ridiculous. It's so unfortunate that here in the US kids are basically property until you've got clear evidence of abuse or neglect. The rest of their kids should be put in foster care because they ARE in danger.

Along with the whole religious freedom thing: circumcision shouldn't be allowed for purely religious reasons because that's abuse. If you want to cite the health benefits then fine. If you want to mutilate your child's genitalia, then screw you. That's child abuse whether it's religious or not.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:48 pm
Very sad, very sad indeed. This is exactly what happens when religious dogma interferes with logic and reasoning. Way to show good parenting skills there.

You know this kinda reminds me of another news story, but since it might be a bit on the lengthy side, I'll post it in another thread.  

Arios V

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 pm
Those parents should be charged with child abuse. I wont be surprised if the parents don't get in any trouble because it was faith based. This just goes to show that praying doesn't do s**t.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:49 pm
Wow, this makes me sick. O.o I sincerely hope that these people are being dealt with in a harsh manner. That child depended on them to take care of her and get her medical treatment, something that she couldn't do for herself! That is neglect at the very least!  

OmG NoMoR3

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:57 pm
Circumcision is a good thing, at least for guys, I'm circumcised myself (no foreskin *cough*) I kind of find the foreskin gross. Yes I'm a guy IRL >.>  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:05 pm
I disagree with circumcision. It's a choice that men should be allowed to make, as there's no way to reverse it.

Plus, it supposedly has permanent effects on the nerve sensitivity in the male genitals.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Rick Dawkins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:06 am
Tenth Speed Writer
I disagree with circumcision. It's a choice that men should be allowed to make, as there's no way to reverse it.

Plus, it supposedly has permanent effects on the nerve sensitivity in the male genitals.

Yeah, that's true I forgot about the nerve damage thing. I typed that out before thinking. Anyway, Courts will usually look at cases that are similar and take their decisions into consideration. Oregon has thrown out the religious belief defense ever since the church tried to protect two parents that let their toddler die of pneumonia by simply praying. I hope the State of Wisconsin makes the right move on this. I'm hearing rumors of manslaughter charges, but the reason they haven't removed the other children immediately is because the parents aren't a direct threat to them. I guarantee child protective services will be a part of the proceedings.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff