Reply Wi-Fi Connection
Getting rid of Brawl Lag! A guide Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NekoLaharl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:33 pm
Hey there culties! Long time cult-reader, big time coward! I noticed many of you have alot of problems playing brawl due to lag. Well i'm here with a solution! Many people blame the Nintendo Servers, but MANY times thats most definitely not the case. It's actually your router!

"But Laharl," you say. "My wii is literally merged with my router!" Well, it's actually not the distance either! It's actually your router settings! Before we get to that, I will point out how to do this using a Linksys router. Note that I do not know if this is the same for any router other than Linksys.

And now, A How-To to fixing your brawl lag!

(Note: If you've ever accessed your router before, you can skip to step 3)

1) Find your router model number. If you have a Linksys, it's on the bottom of your router. In my case, it's WCG200, so using nintendos router look-up guide, I can get into my router settings by clicking on the ISP number! The nintendo Rouuter help thingy can be found here.

2) Once you've found your router number, and you enter your ISP number into your web address: "Please enter your Username and Password." Oookay, how do we get past this? Well assuming someone hasn't set up a password protection, here's what you do:

Username: Leave it alone (As in, don't type anything ;_ wink
Password: admin

And if it'll work, you'll go to your router settings page! You're in! If not, the window will pop back up and ask, which means A) Your router is password/username protected or B) You misspelled Admin or typed in the username box.

3) Finally, the last step! You should be under the WEP key settings and numbers. If not, click the blue Wireless tab. And then you should find a link which reads Basic Wireless Settings or something. Once you click that, you'll see your Routers name, Channels, and other fun things. What we want is the router channel. Set it to 1 or 11. Save your settings, and you are DONE!

And thats all you need to do! Fish tested this with me, so he can back me up on this. A word of note: DO NOT mess with anything on your router settings except for the Router Channel. Unless you know what you're doing, you could screw something up. If you know what you're doing, have at it. If not, dont mess with anything. You've been warned.

Happy Brawling! Any questions, ask them here or PM me!

Small Update:
This will simply fix YOUR computer. If you play in a Wifi match with a Friend and it lags, despite it working just fine and your router channel is set to 1 or 11 etc. etc Then the lag is because A) They don't have their channel set to 1 or 11 or B) They live very far away from you. And of course it COULD be Nintendo's servers, but I haven't had any problems since I changed my channel to 1 or 11.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:26 pm
Dude.
Awesome.
I shall do that.

We thank you. *bow*  

TooHyphy

NekoLaharl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:09 am
l-Kriel-l
Dude.
Awesome.
I shall do that.

We thank you. *bow*
Anytime! Glad I could be of help! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:20 am
And you were of help!
It actually found someone in Basic Brawl in less than 30 minutes!
Connection was decent, too.

biggrin  

TooHyphy

Spooky Tanuki

Familiar Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:25 am

Well, I set my channel to 1.
If this really does help, then I'm indebted to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am
for uh, router specific help, you can always check the company website or get help from nintendo.

also you can follow a link in my error code thread and put in that code on nintendos support site for the specific reason why its not working.

and yes during the first couple weeks, disconnection errors were nintendo's fault thier codes said so on thier site.

now a days its mostly on our side of the issue.  

Xilo The Odd

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:37 am
I'm pretty sure it does help, guys. After I tested it with him, I played Brawl online, and played it for like five hours straight. Usually I quit because the lag gets to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:32 pm
~Xiloscent~
for uh, router specific help, you can always check the company website or get help from nintendo.

also you can follow a link in my error code thread and put in that code on nintendos support site for the specific reason why its not working.

and yes during the first couple weeks, disconnection errors were nintendo's fault thier codes said so on thier site.

now a days its mostly on our side of the issue.
I posted a link. I figured that using Nintendo was easier. It was for me anyways.

Hmm, had no idea. After I changed my router channel, the problems went away. And it was on the first week I got the game. Then again, I have a high speed connection, so maybe that's why?

NekoLaharl

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:59 pm
O: I've already done that, it says so on the official Wi-Fi troubleshooting site thingy.

I wanna try playing the Fish again without lag... : P
Sure, I'll probably get raped again, but it's worth a shot...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:01 pm
This thread deserves to be stickied on the main page.  

Waynebrizzle

NekoLaharl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm
Well I figured that most people wouldn't find that Channel thing, or consider it to be a major kind of thing, so I decided to post an easy to follow how to.

Sticky? Thanks! That's for Fish to decide wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:23 am
OBJECTION!
You cannot fix MY lag!

I live too far away for anyone's router to fix the lag.

but awesome guide anyway.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

NekoLaharl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:45 pm
CockroachHunter-S
OBJECTION!
You cannot fix MY lag!

Thats the thing I hate about Wifi: Can't play with anyone not in your own country (You CAN, it's just laggy beyond imagination) :/ So I cant fix your lag, but you could always find some people who live in your country and play with them.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:02 pm
CockroachHunter-S
OBJECTION!
You cannot fix MY lag!

It actually didn't lag too badly when I played with you, and that was before I fixed up my router.

I have another suggestion to reduce lag: Update your router's firmware. It seems to help a lot.  

Waynebrizzle

BleuP

Sugary Wife

17,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Okay I hacked my router's password (Dad shouldn't have made his password his collage) and is there any difference from 1 and 11?  
Wi-Fi Connection

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff