Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Sichuan Earthquake - 四川大地震! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Weiwei Haoma

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:48 pm
A 7.8 magnitude earthquake has struck Chengdu and its surrounding provinces and can be felt as far as Shanghai, and Bangkok.

Almost 10000 people have died and much more are injured....

So tragic!

Has anyone else heard of the earthquake?

EDIT:

國 務 院 宣 布 , 今 日 起 一 連 3 日 , 定 為 全 國 哀 悼 日 。 全 國 及 各 駐 外 機 構 , 下 半 旗 誌 哀 , 暫 停 公 共 娛 樂 活 動 。 奧 運 聖 火 暫 停 傳 送 三 天 。

EDIT: DONATE!
"VERIFIED options to donate for the earthquake relief:

1. China Red Cross 中国红十字总会 (Chinese Site)

http://www.redcross.org.cn

Visa card acceptable.

2. International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) 国际红十字会

http://www.ifrc.org/

Credit card acceptable. Click on "how to help"-->"online donations". Hopefully, "China Earthquake" option will be added soon.

3. HongKong Red Cross 香港红十字会 (English and Chinese)

www.redcross.org.hk

Visa and Master card acceptable. Donation amount in HK dollars.

4. Canadian Red Cross 加拿大红十字会 (English, Francais)

https://www.paypaq.com/redcross/new/

Credit Card or Interac Online Payment Service

Live cellphone video
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=ASs1ixoFo9I

News
http://news.xinhuanet.com/ziliao/2008-05/12/content_8152724.htm
http://news.qq.com/a/20080513/000392.htm

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:10 pm
Yeah I heard about the earthquake yesterday...but geez, 10,000 dead already?! Man, that's awful! At first, I thought there was only a few hundred at most, but 10,000 really pushes it into a national disaster.'
Still, at least the Chinese government is responding very quickly, already sending in lots of military teams in recovery vehicles. It's a stark contrast to the awful mess in Burma, where 100,000 people are dead and two million people are homeless, yet the ruling junta doesn't even lift a finger to help, whilst refusing all outside aid.  

Minielf

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:17 am
I don't remember something this big happening since the flood quite a few years back. Apparently there are more people in the city of Cheng Du than the whole of Australia...not sure if that's true. confused But if it is, the concentrated population would definitely back the high death toll. sad  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 pm
Is this the on in Sichuan? My mom was telling me about it and i couldn't figure out why since i didn't care, but then I over heard her talking to my dad on the phone (he's in china right now) that my grandmother had gone to sichuan for a vacation. eek  

mymiridon

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 pm
I think the death toll will rise. The number they're giving out is only the "confirmed" dead, but reports keep coming in of huge numbers of people buried under buildings (10,000 in one town alone, or something). It's.. heartbreaking, really; especially since some of the least stable buildings were primary and middle schools, and it was the middle of the day so they were full of children..

Chengdu itself is actually okay, just a little shaken up; it's those people in the mountainous towns which can't be reached by aid workers that will suffer the most.. especially since it's raining heavily, which is causing landslides (the earth having been loosened by the quake). Roads and stuff are completely blocked..

..also: there is a huge panda reserve in that area, hope nothing happens to that.

A couple of good things: the media broadcasts have been open, honest, and truthful, on both sides of the East/West divide. Also, the government response has been very fast, and good. The Premier (Wen Jiabao) has even gone there himself, and he slipped and fell whilst trying to help rescue people, and then refused medical treatment telling the nurses and stuff to look after the casualties. So, not all politicians are awful, after all (:

We have some friends who have family there. Everything is a bit tense.. one of my mum's colleagues can't find her father..

--Niph on Kitty's acc.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:18 pm
cold_blooded_chick
I don't remember something this big happening since the flood quite a few years back. Apparently there are more people in the city of Cheng Du than the whole of Australia...not sure if that's true. confused But if it is, the concentrated population would definitely back the high death toll. sad

Nah, both of those rumours are false. Chengdu has around 10 million people most, which is less than half of Australia's 22 million. And thankfully the earthquake mainly struck a village some 300km south of Chengdu, so the city itself was spared from the full force of the quake. If Chengdu had been the epicentre, then we would be seeing a death toll to rival the 1976 Tangshan Earthquake (300,000 dead). Still, 10,000 is an awfully high number for any earthquake, and I'm glad that the PRC is responding with an openess and quickness that is refreshing. Certainly unlike the bah-humbugness of the Burmese government, or even the laughable incompetence of the US government after Hurriance Katrina.  

Minielf

Weiwei Haoma

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:09 pm
Cat-Whiskers
I think the death toll will rise. The number they're giving out is only the "confirmed" dead, but reports keep coming in of huge numbers of people buried under buildings (10,000 in one town alone, or something). It's.. heartbreaking, really; especially since some of the least stable buildings were primary and middle schools, and it was the middle of the day so they were full of children..

Chengdu itself is actually okay, just a little shaken up; it's those people in the mountainous towns which can't be reached by aid workers that will suffer the most.. especially since it's raining heavily, which is causing landslides (the earth having been loosened by the quake). Roads and stuff are completely blocked..

..also: there is a huge panda reserve in that area, hope nothing happens to that.

A couple of good things: the media broadcasts have been open, honest, and truthful, on both sides of the East/West divide. Also, the government response has been very fast, and good. The Premier (Wen Jiabao) has even gone there himself, and he slipped and fell whilst trying to help rescue people, and then refused medical treatment telling the nurses and stuff to look after the casualties. So, not all politicians are awful, after all (:

We have some friends who have family there. Everything is a bit tense.. one of my mum's colleagues can't find her father..

--Niph on Kitty's acc.

I heard about the Panda reserve...but it is safe, they're just scared there won't be enough food.

It is very tense about 60 000 people are missing, that is a lot of people :c

And I heard of Wen Jiabao, he's not bad, he's mobolized thousands and thousands of soldiers to that region (: and also mobolized citizens and other people to help, I am so proud of him and all the Chinese people!!!  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:03 pm
Wow, huge number of deaths. D: I heard it on the news yesterday. I guess the people living in rural areas would suffer the most.

My grandpa lives in Shanghai but he said he didn't feel anything. Probably due to where he's at, or maybe he just ignored it without knowing.

a- K0KO-

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:23 am
This is getting really bad.

Some doosh is probably going to start saying s**t about how this is karma for the whole Tibet thing. stare  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:17 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ahh. I feel so bad for the people who are trapped.
It must so scary, buried under piles of cement, waiting to be saved.
> A< ;;

Pfft. If they kick China while it's down, that's truly low. talk2hand

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

IxianMace

Interstellar Seeker

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:21 pm
cold_blooded_chick
Some doosh is probably going to start saying s**t about how this is karma for the whole Tibet thing. stare

I was thinking that might happen too. Terrible. Kicking China while it's down? I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. But whatever. I'm going to hold off on getting into another political rant. xp  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:26 pm
I heard rumours of people thinking it was a curse from the Dalai Lama.. xD but all news sources seem fairly okay so far. There is a bit of politicising going on, but mainly it's all about China "opening up" and being more "honest" about stuff.. read an anger-provoking article today about how China always covers up everything xP and I think mainly we're being used as the lesser of two evils in comparison to Burma.. which is still, y'know, mean, but at least it's not directed directly at us. xP

Niphz
Crew

Weiwei Haoma

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:33 pm
A lot of Tibet hippies are saying it's karma, and are pretty happy about it. Makes me sick.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 pm
Niphz
I heard rumours of people thinking it was a curse from the Dalai Lama.. xD but all news sources seem fairly okay so far. There is a bit of politicising going on, but mainly it's all about China "opening up" and being more "honest" about stuff.. read an anger-provoking article today about how China always covers up everything xP and I think mainly we're being used as the lesser of two evils in comparison to Burma.. which is still, y'know, mean, but at least it's not directed directly at us. xP

They're fairly okay so far because no self respecting news source would dare print that the Dalai Lama cursed China. No one would take it seriously again... except for crazy liberals. 3nodding China covering up everything... omg... it's not like the U.S. doesn't do it. The only difference there is that China's just better at it than everyone else. razz  

mymiridon

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:57 pm
-cough-guantanamobay-cough-

@Weiwei - That makes me, as kitty would say, want to kick puppies >__>;;

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers