Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
You Can't Ground Me! You Believe In God! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:20 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So I have this friend with this crazy religious mom.
And my friend isn't that religious herself.
And she's quite the troublemaker.

So I've told her many times
When you get in trouble
Why don't you just tell your mom
"it was gods will that I do that! I shouldn't get in trouble for preforming god's will!".

So discuss
Why won't my friend do this?
And what are the errors in this argument.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:17 pm
She's probably smart not to do that, as it's just likely to provoke her mother and get her in even more trouble. It's fun to joke about such things, but people who actually end up doing them end up making themselves look bad, in most cases.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
She's probably smart not to do that, as it's just likely to provoke her mother and get her in even more trouble. It's fun to joke about such things, but people who actually end up doing them end up making themselves look bad, in most cases.
The dinosaurs are returning...

I guess I understand your point =/.

But why would that be the case?

Are you trying to say that even the super religious people only believe in god when it's convenient.

And if you are you agree with you all the way =DDD.

Edit: Oh, and by the way.
I've seen your posts around the guild.
And you seem super funny and amazing =DD.
So I'm glad you're in the guild biggrin .

...and they want their oil back.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:11 am
Aww, thanks. 3nodding

I think it's because whether or not it's the case, it comes off as just trying to provoke or ridicule people for their beliefs in god. Maybe not most, but at least many, religious people have absolutely no sense of humour about what they believe. whee  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Teoka

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:29 pm
rofl I'd do it if I were her. While that would be a smartass thing to do, in religious terms, she's not wrong.

It is important not to make fun of people for their religion, but if you're in the heat of a fight with your mom, what happens happens.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Well...the thing is according to some religions the "god" in question gave his creations a free will.

There is a big error in that argument because how can you know what is gods will? How can you know what isn't? If the mother who is really religious hears her daughter say that what she is doing is god's will, she could pull out the Bible in defense and if what her daughter says is god's will isn't in the Bible it sort of defeats what her daughter says.

That is if the women goes by the Bible as a basis for what is god's will and what isn't. Not all overzealous people believe that a god controls your every single action and tells you what to do every single second of the day. It comes down to that free will thing.

Sanguvixen

Liquid Robot

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:05 am
It depends on how religious her mum is... she might get into serious trouble saying that. And if she doesn't, her mum probably won't take it seriously (I know some who would think a statement like that was utter blasphemy, so if I were your friend and my mum was like that, I'd keep pretty damn quiet too)  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:52 pm
Something about this makes me think of the question I'm sure some of you have heard before:

"Is it good because it's God's will or is it God's will because it's good?"

Obviously saying it's God's will is not a get out of jail free card. Think of how much unethical activity has gone on in the name of God's will.

Playing at this God's will crap to get your way is going to be pretty transparent. But it might at best... and this is a stretch, It might make mom think for half a second. But I wouldn't be optimistic.

At worst she might believe you and get a bunch of other credulous people to believe her too... Next thing you know it's out her control and she's spawned another b*****d child branch of christianity.

I kid I kid.

Might make a good Simpson's episode though!  

Edi Gammon

Niveous

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:08 pm
The error is you found and error...loophole in their religion.

they would never use God as a means for misbehaving, because they then appear atheist.

On a related note:

Duh  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:47 pm
That's the same retarded suppsosed athiest thinking that makes me hate a lot of the younger athiest crowd.

How about she pulls her head out of her a** and does what her mom says. And unless her mom's just being outragiously religious then how about we just listen to what she has to say.

If the case is that her mom's just being outrageous then ignore her. Go with the flow if you have to. Why Must we create conflict where there could be none.

Yeah that's real good advice you gave your friend... If the whole point was to get no where in there relationship and only make the daughter look like an a** and a b***h to her mom.

It's this type of thing that pisses me off about all the young kids who say they're all "atheist" it just seems to me that at this point it's just kids acting up and being Rebelious and cool

Alucard2021

Lux7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:23 am
If it was really bad the devil could have tempted her with sin. It could be God's will in a sense that hes testing how strong her will is and it would also god's will that the mother grounded her or whatever so she learned her mistake making her never do it again. Depending on what she did of course  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:06 pm
Alucard2021
That's the same retarded suppsosed athiest thinking that makes me hate a lot of the younger athiest crowd.

How about she pulls her head out of her a** and does what her mom says. And unless her mom's just being outragiously religious then how about we just listen to what she has to say.

If the case is that her mom's just being outrageous then ignore her. Go with the flow if you have to. Why Must we create conflict where there could be none.

Yeah that's real good advice you gave your friend... If the whole point was to get no where in there relationship and only make the daughter look like an a** and a b***h to her mom.

It's this type of thing that pisses me off about all the young kids who say they're all "atheist" it just seems to me that at this point it's just kids acting up and being Rebelious and cool

=[[[.

But I'm conformist!
I don't use my Atheism to rebel!
Everyone I know is okay with my religious status (except my friend's mom, but I became an atheist before meeting her... and I doubt she even knows)
I get really good grades and do as I'm told (within reason) =[.

Not I have to admit I never really thought that making fun of her mom's religion would help anything I've heard all the coo-coo stuff about her mom and seen most of it too, and from that insulting her religious ideas can't make things any worse either =/.

Anyanyanyway.
This thread has also shown me the light.
That we're all doomed to end up like South Park.
Where even Atheists are throwing stones at each other...
Or at least me redface .

[The Looney Bin]

T3xtual Harassm3nt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:05 pm
on an unrelated note: i seem to see you same people posting a lot Oo maybe im just lucky that way

i guess your friend may not do that because it could just be a phycological (yes i spelled that wrong) thing, were your friend hates getting in trouble, and doesn't want to get in any worse trouble by doing so. Its like report cards in that case, you might freek out before thinking your going to do badly and get grounded, but its not that bad, Just try asking her WHY she doesn't use it, and if its for this reason, ask her whats teh worst thing that could possibly happen  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:07 pm
[The Looney Bin]
Alucard2021

=[[[.

But I'm conformist!
I don't use my Atheism to rebel!
Everyone I know is okay with my religious status (except my friend's mom, but I became an atheist before meeting her... and I doubt she even knows)
I get really good grades and do as I'm told (within reason) =[.

Not I have to admit I never really thought that making fun of her mom's religion would help anything I've heard all the coo-coo stuff about her mom and seen most of it too, and from that insulting her religious ideas can't make things any worse either =/.

Anyanyanyway.
This thread has also shown me the light.
That we're all doomed to end up like South Park.
Where even Atheists are throwing stones at each other...
Or at least me redface .

nope, i would be too.... im sure lots others would be, and i do sadly see that happening Oo  

T3xtual Harassm3nt

Nardone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:05 pm
haha she might see that as her daughter mocking her and do the old traditional thing that parents do to there children when they get in trouble and beat the s**t outta them..  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff