Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Have you ever noticed that.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ozraptor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:01 pm
There are lots of Atheist kids nowadays? There is about 10-15 in my class.

Example 1#

Today i was in class, and this guy handed me a paper, so i read it, and i told him that he spelt "Catholic" wrong (I am unfortunately doing a history project on the Catholic church). So he replied "Really?! Haha, im Catholic, and i dont even know how to spell it!" Now this guy is not very religeous so i dont blame him too much. So this other guy came up to me, and i told him about what i noticed, he said "Im Atheist and i know how to spell Catholic!"

Example 2#

This was during library, i overheard someone talking about Atheism. I came up and entered the conversation. "Hey Mariah(Me), im Atheist!, are you??" she asked me, i told her that i was. About five other people added in that they were Atheist.

Example 3#

I was next to these two cousins talking about religeon. the girl believed in god, and the boy was unsure. Just today the girl said something that involved god, and he replied "Im a f***ing Atheist, i dont care about god, so dont talk about it!"

So, ya. Alot of kids are turning to Atheism (Yay!). But i think that some are just saying they are to be popular, either way,i wont have much arguments.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:20 pm
The dinosaurs are returning...

Yeah.

I'm noticing it too.

It really kinda is the opposite of how I thought it would be.
I thought I'd be one of a few people.
I never realized that I'm almost the majority at my school.

Like seriously,
At my school kids who are religious are almost afraid to tell anyone but their closest friends about it.

It's really nice to see the tables turned for once.

heart Liberal Portland, Oregon.

...and they want their oil back.

[The Looney Bin]

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:04 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Well, partly (mostly, by today's standards), it's probably part of some rebellious trend. But ironic to you guys, it's not that way where I live. I know about 3 or 4 Agnostics locally, and one Atheist, though he graduates from High school next year, while I'm going to be a freshman. My future step brother says he's basically apathetic about it (If there is a god, Great! If there isn't a god, Great!) which isn't far away from Atheism.
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:03 pm
*humf* lucky, im the ONLY atheist at my school, a few(very small amount of) agnostics, and lots of Catholics, Mormons, every other kind of christian...and 1 self hating Jew 3nodding  

Asterisk07

neverwisefool

Gifted Lionheart

46,575 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:53 am
I guess I'm lucky being from Canada. People aren't very religious here, and being overtly religious is considered crass.  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:59 pm
I know a bunch of kids in my grade are atheists, and one or two who are religious or agnostic. As far as I can tell, atheists are a majority here.  

deactivatedfedcba

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:08 pm
Now that you mention it, I do seem to notice quite that there are quite a few Atheists wandering around my college campus.

I don't know why it's happening, but it does feel kinda good to see this sort of thing happening. Then again, I live in Northern Virginia, where a vast majority of people are atheist, agnostic, deists or any other branch of non-theist.  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:28 pm
[The Looney Bin]

It's "nice" to see someone else afraid or ashamed to admit their beliefs?  

Tenth Speed Writer

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
[The Looney Bin]

It's "nice" to see someone else afraid or ashamed to admit their beliefs?
The dinosaurs are returning...

Nooo.
Well not really.

What I really meant to imply was that it's nice to see that other people on the planet know what it feels like to be a minority (religious-wise).

...and they want their oil back.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:12 am
Well.. I'll admit, it's nice to see those known to act high and mighty on their heels for once.

But still. There are a lot more innocents suffering than there are aggressors getting their own. It's never right for someone with sane beliefs to have to suffer for them.  

Tenth Speed Writer

DivineBlindSoul

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:30 pm
Ugh...Up in Brainerd and in Blaine evvvvery one is Christian. That's not to say that there aren't any atheists, but we are in the majority especially in Brainerd. UGH!! To them I'm that devil worshiping hippy b***h who dresses funny and listens to funny music. I'm all like, "Sorry I don't believe that putting a boot up their a** should be the American way." gonk  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:45 pm
LUCKY.
I'm one of two atheists in my school.
Everyone else is a complete a** about it, with the exception of some truly cool people. (My best friends! <3)  

Azarni Usagi

Faeletti

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:29 am
Yesh, I'm not that old, but I was raised a catholic. Church once a week, religious ed classes, the whole kit n' kaboodle. But I've never believed in God my entire life. Strange, right?  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:36 am
I don't even know what the religious percentage in my school is. But what I do know is that you're either nothings or extreme (and when I say extreme I mean a logical extreme). But people in my school honestly couldn't care less what religion you are. And pretty much the only way you'll find out someone's religion is if you outright ask them or you are in a debate in sociology class.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Matataur

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 am
It may be partly a rebellious trend, but I believe it's also a reaction to the recent events that have been stewing primarily in the U.S. Let me post a few examples-

George W. Bush is a highly unpopular president, and has gone on record saying his faith is a key part of his decision-making.

The Catholic Church has recently paid millions of dollars because of the many sexual abuse charges brought against them.

The infamous "God Hates Fags" protests.

Many more young people are at least tolerant of homosexuals then ever, so the idea of that lifestyle being "sinful" is repugnant to rising number of people.

It's growth as a political movement, with attempts to change law (regarding abortion), school (creationism in science class), medicine (opposition to stem-cell research), and social practices (opposition to gay marriage).

Now, while this may or may not represent the entirety of the religious population, it most definitely represents the loudest and most vociferous amongst them. And with all of these messages hitting kids rapidly via the Internet, it will cause a knee-jerk reaction of "I don't like that".

While that reaction will not convert them to atheism, it will get many of them to think about it, which is the first step to a freethinking lifestyle.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff