35-45
  45-55
  55-65
  65+
View Results

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 pm
So we should all be aware by now that Gaia is a 'teen hangout'... however based on the posts in the Intro thread we have a wide range of ages in our guild. So how old are you?

Also interesting - how old were you when you started getting into sculpting or crafting? I'm sure most of us messed around with some playdoh or something back in our younger days, but how old were you when you really started getting into it?

One more thing! Besides the gender stereotype we're discussing in another thread, some aspects of crafting (knitting for example) have a bit of an 'old granny' stigma which turns off a lot of younger people. If you're not an 'old granny' how do you deal with this? Do you just ignore the haters, or mix in modern or retro pop-culture influences to make it 'cooler', or simply not tell anyone for fear of judgement?  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:14 pm
I'll be 16 in June, and I'm probably one of the younger people here lol.
For the most part I crochet and knit things. I started when I was around 7, quit for a couple years, then really got into crafting and DIY projects about 5 months ago. As for the old granny thing, I do get that when I bring my projects to school but when I finish the project I was making they tell me how cool it is that I made it lol. I used to feel awkward bringing my projects places but now it really doesn't bother me cause I enjoy it.

Legomym3go

Aulora

Interesting Prophet

16,140 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:15 am
hmm yeh, i feel old...oh well been creatively crafty for the longest i can remember.  
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:22 am
Spose I should answer this myself - I'll be 23 in a few months, and have been into crafts since around the end of last year, so not too long sweatdrop  

Chisa
Captain

Aulora

Interesting Prophet

16,140 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:24 am
hmmm well I'm 26 turning 27 in Sept. and I've been into crafts since I was 13. So I've been doing stuff for a long time.  
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 am
I'm 18 for a little while longer. Birthday in June. I've been doing beadwork (none of it's on here yet) since I was 12, maille since I was 14, and helping my mom sew since... I can't remember that one.  

Felt Teeth

Ghola

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:41 pm
Well, I'll be turning 31 soon (in June) I have been creating art since childhood, but I'd say serious interest in 3 dimensional crafts and sculpture didn't start until I was in college, around age 17. I always looked to it as "creative relaxation" since it was so different from creating illustrations or painting. I could do it just for fun, and not really care if it was "good".  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:29 am
Ghola
Well, I'll be turning 31 soon (in June) I have been creating art since childhood, but I'd say serious interest in 3 dimensional crafts and sculpture didn't start until I was in college, around age 17. I always looked to it as "creative relaxation" since it was so different from creating illustrations or painting. I could do it just for fun, and not really care if it was "good".
YAY! ANOTHER "OLD" LADY LIKE MYSELF! biggrin

I've been crafting pretty much my whole life...I'm a major dabbler though and try different stuff all the time  

Angeliqe

CalicoKiki

350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:52 am
21 here biggrin

Been crafting since I can remember-- My grandma ( whom I lived with) was ALWAYS making something, and I was always right next to her biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:05 pm
Im 17 at the moment. I mess around in a bunch of things, right now im doing an origami / paper mache project. I also do knitting, some wood shop, and jewlery crafting. Im trying to get into sewing some now, to expand my capabilities.
The first thing i ever started was knitting, i started knitting when i was about 13. I guess I just ignore the steriotypes, though i get a lot of rude comments for everything i do. Its usually 'wow you have a lot of free time on your hands' ;P. Knitting isnt so bad now, its actually coming back in fashion in my area. I've even seen a few people knitting on their free time in school. smile Though, my school is an art school. (But we are drawing/painting mainly so...).
I like to combine different types into my projects. It just makes everything feel much more accomplishing, so I dable in everything.  

OTomodachi Petto

E-C-O B-E-N-D-E-R-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:01 am

~~~

I'm 16 years of age... And I've been in my particular craft for... (Whoa) Almost exactly one year to the day. o-o

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:50 am
I'm 21 years old. I've been really into crafting when I was around the age of 11. I remember in 5th grade we were assigned to create anything out of papier-mâché. I made a small gray kitten. In middle school, I went to camp in the summer, and whenever we got the chance, I always chose to do anything crafty (sewing, pasting, wood burning, etcetera etcetera). Even in my middle school days, my best friend and I would make (ugly) looking purses, pillows, and clothes for our dollies (American Girl dolls to be exact rofl ). Another friend of mine loves crafting like I do and we both were planning to start a small business together. Hasn't happened, but hopefully once we're finished with school whee .

About the stereotypes, I'm not really too sure about that because I don't get a lot of negative comments from people. Once they see your work, they are impressed with the results (especially because they themselves don't know how to knit, cross-stitch, or whatever). Its just a common misconception if it does occur, just like the stereotype that video games are only for the "younger" folks. xd  

MissMeowMeowKitty

void flower

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:15 am
I'm 201 years old.

In base 3! So that means I'm 19 in base 10. (I'm a math nerd).

I feel old around most of my friends since I'm a January kid, but since everything is relative, I'm quite young still.

I started crafting like most kids do in kindergarten where we are taught how to make things out of noodles and other random stuff. It was fun - I remember 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 am
I'm 20 :3 My mom taught me how to knit when I was ten, but sadly I haven't really done any knitting in years sad Then she got me some air-drying clay, which I loved. I created all kinds of animals (which could pass fairly adequately for abstract art sweatdrop ) Then I forgot about it for years, and maybe four-five months ago I picked up my first package of Fimo razz
Meanwhile I've learned the basics of sewing and beading and gotten fairly good at drawing.

So I still have a long way to go, hehe. I'm looking forward to it 3nodding  

Pax-Dracona

Herbal-Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:35 am
I'll be 22 next month and I've been into crafting for as long as I can remember. I remember when I was little my mom would give me old sheets that I could cut up and try and sew and make things out of, hehehe XD and I used to love to cross stitch when I was younger as well. I kinda got out of the 3D stuff in high school and focused more on drawing, but then when I switched schools my senior year my new school's art program, crappy as it was, had more 3D stuff than my former school so I got back into it and now I'm going to school to make a career out of it!! ^_^  
Sculpted - art + craft guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff