Reverse-jointed legs?
  Yes.
  No.
  Tentacles.
View Results

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:23 pm
Here's where we'll develop all relevant information in regards to the werewolves.

Definites:

3 transformational states-
-Human: Normal with the exception of yellow rims around their pupils.
-Hybrid: Anthropomorphic, reverse jointed legs, tail, 6-7 feet tall.
-Wolf: Normal with the exception of being considerably larger.

Culture-
-Essentially tribal/clan-based social infrastructure.
-Natural leather and decorative cloth garments. Plate mail sometimes used.
-Herbalism and alchemy are commonly practiced.
-Jobs include: den mother, elder, herbalist, warrior

Magick-
-Ritual Magick: magick which requires some kind of ceremony, involving some kind of verbal chant / gestures / etc. Fewer limitations than other kind.
-Spiritual Magick: magick which requires no verbal or somatic components, simply evoked straight from the creature's very soul. Spirit magick can often turn dangerous to the user, and has more limitations to what it can do than ritual magick.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:50 pm
(Will post copious amounts of wolfy Ideas here once I have to time to sit and type it out)

Teddo, I ended up discussing most of what I was going to message you about in the Alvirad forum, so go ahead and read through my posts there if you have not already done so. I guess anything else will be showing up here. I need to get started on my Lycan mythology now! biggrin  

Alaundria

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:51 pm
So here's what I have compiled from the Alvirad OOC:

The Lycans are shamanic tribespeople that reside in the woodlands. They have a cultural preference to do things "naturally." This has led to a very slow development of technology; currently, they are at the Iron Age level. To make up for this, though, they have kept a strong tether to Nature, and its many Magicks; something no other race can lay claim to. Combined with their keen understanding of the flora and fauna, the Lycans would make good herbalists and apothecaries if they have "careers" in their society. Agriculture has taken hold only in the recent centuries. They are territorial, and have been known to react in a hostile manner to intruders, regardless of their race.

In the matter of transformation, they are capable of manipulating their form entirely. Naturally, they appear in an anthropomorphic state between man and wolf. There is a large group among them, the Naturalists, that believe firmly in retaining their natural state at all times. This group is mostly made up of the elder generations, but it is not uncommon to find those in younger demographics following this way of life. The majority of Lycans have no qualms with morphing to fit the occasion, whether it be relaxing with family or attempting to slip among the humans for reconnaissance.

The next few paragraphs are my own speculation.
I collected no information as to how they set up their communities, their family set up, or physical aspects ratios (height, weight, eye color, hair color, etc.). I propose for the communities small clans divided by heritage; there is no "racism" amongst them, but there is a much greater sense of union between members of a clan than between two Lycans of separate clans. Social interactions would also differ between Lycans of a clan as opposed to two Lycans of differing clans. Relationships between two Lycans of separate clans is discouraged for the most part, but not unheard of, and rarely shunned. Each clan would in turn be led by their six eldest members. Finally, decisions that will affect the entire race's future would be decided by the two eldest leaders of each clan coming together. This would include declarations of peace, war, and trade. All Lycans that disobey a law are brought before their clan's elders; the only exception would be in the case of traitors to the race or some other "ultimate crime." Lycans are expected to supply their own food and needs, thus making trade and gift-giving the only form of economic action. The only "jobs" in existence are: warrior, mother, herbalist, and elder. No male has ever been a sole provider for care of a younger family member. All males are expected to contribute to any military action that may take place. Herbalists are typically females, and they simply supply any urgent care for those suffering with an undetermined infirmity; otherwise, Lycans care for themselves and their family. Elders are of an age where they are on the physical decline; some are still formidable warriors, but not as great as they had been in their prime. All structures are built by members of the clan. Families raise the younger ones to learn to hunt and otherwise care for themselves using nature as their ever-present storehouse. Essentially, they would be an individualist society. It's like communism, except that instead of the government supplying all needs, each family tends to itself and contributes to society when they are needed.

As for physical ratios, I care only to speculate about hair and eye color. I suggest the hair color range be as wide as the human spectrum, and no further (ie, no blue or green fur). As for style of the hair, it can't be too great. I've never seen a curly Lycan, or wolf for that matter. Eye color I suggest also following the human spectrum, with perhaps a little more leeway. I also recommend that there always exist a noticeable yellow tint radiating from the pupil: this way Lycans are not entirely invisible among humans; Lycans can be told by their eyes, and Vampires can be given away by their teeth.

Lastly, I'd like to address magick. There are two forms (or systems, if you like) that I would prefer. The first is Ritual Magick. This is where the caster must perform a series of actions, and/or an utterance of words to summon the desired action. This would apply best to performing "elemental" actions as well as clan or Lycan rituals that might include calling forth rain, moving large masses of rain, or "naturally" uprooting trees to be used for wood. The second is Spiritual Magick. That is to say that the magick originates within the caster's spirit, and the only requirement of casting is to understand how to manipulate one's spirit energy into the desired action.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 pm
I like your ideas very much Mr. Lore, you took great care in making them civilized as werewolves can be. I could throw in about physical appearance that while in hybrid from, i.e. anthropomorphic state; they stand at least six feet tall if not close to seven. I would also like to chime in on the feet of the hybrid forms. I’m not a fan of the reverse joint legs and think a civilized version of the werewolf would retain human style legs with large clawed feet.

I think their dress should range from full regalia of leathers and ritual outfits to simply pants. I don’t see a Lycon in this idea running around naked or in a loin cloth. Also with the idea of cloths in mind, I think the transformation should not destroy the cloths. If the werewolves are highly magical I see no reason why the transformation cannot be a part of that; just allow the cloths to adjust through means of the transformation. Which shouldn’t be as violent as most versions were the transformer goes through huge amounts of physical pain. A simple glowing transformation would work and still make the transformation long enough were a Lycon must decide when to transform not just on the fly.

I also see the Lycons having weapon imbued with some magic, maybe not like a fire sword but something. Or, we could make a class like a paladin Lycon, who uses the spirit energy, like Mr. Lore elaborated on, through the sword or weapon; making them a spirit warrior or the sort.  

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200

Alaundria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:17 pm
I don't have time to post all the ideas that I have, ( and boy oh boy do I have ideas) but I want to both agree and disagree with Ronyo.

I personally have always been a fan of reverse joints on a hybrid, I suppose because it seems more exotic. Creature headed humans are so Ancient Egypt razz Maybe we could take a vote to see what other peoples preference is. I am willing to cede this point if I have to, but I wont go down without a fight!

I do agree with you on the point of clothes. It would be extremely inconvenient to suddenly have to change back into your human form for some reason or another, and find yourself in the buff in the middle of battle. I propose that they at least wear a harness or some other leather piece ( though you say no loin cloth, that might actually be the easiest option, at least for males. It can be of tooled leather or beaded cloth, and very ornate, it does not just have to be a scrap of cloth.) In battle, put them in something that will fit both their human and wolven forms. Also, if any of them have beads, braids, or other ornaments in there hair, that is also going to be in their fur when they shapeshift 3nodding

I like the "gradual change" idea also. almost like a cocoon state, were he or she would have to find a safe, quiet, spot to hunker down for ten minuets while their body changes.
I would also imagine that the females stand a bit shorter than the males. You could also tell a Lycan from a regular wolf by the size (minus the fact that it is a wolf with clothes on.) Wolf/Lycan are a bit larger than normal wolves.

I think there special weapon magic could be called "Moonfire" (picture pretty, mystical iridescent flames dancing off the surface of a blade.) I imagine the "paladin" Lycans would be the Shaman. I will look online and make us a Glossary of "tribal" terms we can use for classes and concepts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:32 am
I have to roll with Alaundria: reverse-joint. I also agree we should poll it.

Clothes. Great idea, good point.

"Morphing." We need to work out an "average" on how long a morph takes. I'm quite partial to changing on the run-- I mean, you don't see Vampires cowering in the corner so they can grow fangs do you? Why should I have to do the same? Anyways, it's debatable, I think.

Back to magick. Obviously in a hostile situation they are going to add magick to the mix. It is simply a matter of how. My point with Ritual Magick is that it requires an incantation or series of movements or both; so long as that is upheld, I have no issues with calling it whatever you so please. Spiritual Magick I don't like quite as much because it's so ambiguous with how it may be applied; obviously that appeals to many because it basically says "do whatever you please within a certain range," and that's a lot of creative, artistic license right there. Alas, I think it's easier to role Ritual magick because it follows set rules, and if a caster "messes up" the only negative effect is that the spell is not cast. If you start talking negative effects with Spiritual magick, good ganji! First off, no one would EVER (I am almost 100% sure of this!) have their character in mid-battle "mess up" a spiritual magick move and have it negatively affect their character. You know it. I know it. But it definitely COULD happen in a battle situation because Spiritual magick requires FOCUS. If you're duking it out with a Vampire full-on, you might not be able to fully focus and the power of the magick is diminished or used in the exact opposite fashion. Anyways, I'm done ranting about my magick ideas. I worry I've become slightly incoherent at 4 32 AM.

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Dapper Codger

Ellenoir
Crew

Blessed Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 am
I don't have much to contribute to all this. However on the issue of the transformation time: logically it would take less time to change from the Hybrid form to either the human or the wolf form, where as to go straight from human to wolf would take longer I think.

And perhaps there could be a class where the Lycan has learned to focus (whatever kind of magic would be more appropriate) so that they can transform more quickly. This at the cost of being able to perform other magical rites as effectively if at all.

[Edit] Oh yeah, I prefer the reverse joints as well. I dunno why, I just think they look gorgeous. (Any way it's not really a reversed joint, it just that the limb is shortened and the heel is brought up way higher than ours are. The "reversed" part is not the knee, and the knee still bends similar to ours. Also from an evolutionary point of view, this leg structure is much more conducive to running, and running fast.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:47 pm
I fourth the reverse joint motion.
A) It's more exotic in appearance, Alaundria was right when she said animal-headed people was totally Ancient Egyptian.
B) It gives them a stronger inherent natural speed, thus making it a more effective cross between the other two forms.

On the subject of transformation: I believe it should take at least a minute or two of concentration. Transforming in the rough of things generally isn't a very good idea... werewolves should decide which form to take before a confrontation. Vampires ALWAYS have their fangs, they can't hide them, so they don't really cower in the corner. They don't get the ability to transform like Lycans, however.

Magick: lol Alaundria, moonfire? You know that's a warcraft spell, right? Very appropriate, though. Perhaps even faerie fire or star fire? In agreement with y'all about the rules to be implemented on magick, we should make it so that spirit magick is more restricted in its scope than ritual magick. I'm considering even having a dice rolling system to determine results rather than just leaving it in a player's hands.

Clothing: Rawhide pants, decorative loincloths, and leather harnesses sound like the best clothing for a werewolf that finds themselves either: A) In combat often or B) Needing to transform often. Like Native Americans, they'd probably have more ritualistic clothing for when they're socializing, but looser clothing for work.  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm
I see I am in the minority on the leg issue. No matter it is a small detail, and one I can live with or without. I’ll leave the magic and transformations to you all, since you have some really good ideas and I don’t want to stop your flow. Plus any werewolf I roll will stay in his hybrid form.

I would like to go into the cloths a bit. I think depending on the style of werewolf the dress would be different. For those Lycans who like to change in and out of their forms loose cloths and certain leather garments would be bets I agree. I think in terms of the permanent Lycans, like the one I would roll, it wouldn’t be impossible for them to have an armor style fitting to a werewolf.

My three ideas are for light, medium, and heavy armored Lycans who stay in hybrid form:

Light:

Light leather tunic that covers the thigh, leather gauntlets and legs guards with leather bands for the arms and legs, with whatever the Lycan wishes to wear underneath as well.

Medium:

Layered leather tunic that stops at the waist, small leather paladrons (sp?) and leather gauntlets cover the arms while leather greaves and leg guards covering below the waist line. A leather helmet can also be worn with this idea as well.

Heavy:

A leather tunic and pants are worn on the first layer. An iron breast plate covers the top of the chest while a heavy leather overhang covers the bottom. Iron gauntlets and legs guards protect the appendages and a iron or heavy leather helmet is worn with this.

The weapons I would figure can range from simple sort swords to heavy war axes and spears. The Lycan that being formed in my head actually uses the spear and swords idea.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:24 pm
Well, sounds like you have that aspect just about figured out wink

...gosh... I had something to say but I totally forgot..................

Oh yeah! Should the hybrid form have a tail?  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:34 pm
Unquestionably yes  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:07 pm
Right, remaining features to iron out:

-Magick restrictions and details
-Transformation time
-Additional Lycan character classes & jobs
-Alaundria's Tribal Lycan Glossary

More to come, perhaps. Be sure to look at the other threads in this section, as well. They need considerable work still.  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Alaundria

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm
I think Hydromancer, Geomancer, Aeromancer ect... could be added to that list of jobs (or you could sum it all up under "Elementalist")
After my myth is done it will probably help flesh out there ideals and culture a lot. That is if it is positively received. sweatdrop

:edit:
We also need to consider what kind of "tribal" they are. Tribal is a very broad term, and every nation on earth has its own version of "tribal".

I had a picture in my mind made up of a hodgepodge of the ancient Norse/Native Americans/Picts, and The "mystical" tribal, like the Mystics from The Dark Crystal or the culture the Atlantians in Disney's Atlantis had.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:02 pm
Woah... so we're actually rolling with my magicks? Damn, I thought I was just ranting. Go me, I guess.

Well the magick isn't difficult to "iron out," as you put it. Quite simple, actually because the systems aren't supposed to exist together; at least, I had not intended them to. I had been simply proposing two different systems for how the magick would work, but if we want to play with both of them, then I can most certainly integrate them. The terms "Ritual" and "Spiritual" were really just to help define the magick. Ritual defined the magick as requiring a series of actions and/or words to initiate the desired magick. Spiritual defines the magick as inherent to the caster, and thus only requires an understanding of how to manipulate one's "spirit" to affect the world around the caster.

SO, if those two are going to exist simultaneously, we have some obvious conclusions that must be understood:
FIRST, the Lycans have an inherent knowledge of their world, a connection to nature if you will, that allows them to call upon their environment at any given time. This gives way to Elementalism, which may only be performed via Ritual Magick. Elementalism goes from requesting the trees to uproot themselves to be used as lumber all the way to calling forth a change in the weather, and everything in between. Lycans respect, revere, and understand Nature. For this, there are limitless rewards so long as they do not abuse the gift.
SECOND, due to this inherent knowledge, the Lycans are aware of their own "spirits," or whatever noun you wish. This leads to training in the art of manipulating one's own spirit: Spiritual Magick.
THIRD, Ritual Magick is safe. The only negative effects from performing the wrong actions/performing incompletely, or saying the wrong words/saying incompletely are: no reaction at all, or the wrong spell (which is highly rare).
FOURTH, Spiritual Magick is DANGEROUS. The improper use of the spiritual energy can have dire consequences on one's own body and/or mind. This is energy in its purest form and as such is a lethal entity. It can be made "non-lethal," but again this requires FOCUS and TRAINING. This all means that even the best Spiritual Magicians/Shamans/etc. are at risk when performing such magick; skill level does not change the fact that it this is pure and lethal energy.
FIFTH, Spiritual Magick is DANGEROUS. It has a draining effect upon the caster that is roughly equivalent to one-fourth of the energy drained were the caster to perform this action physically. Don't expect to be blasting mansions to pieces without DIRE consequences.
SIXTH, Spiritual Magick has limits on what/how it can affect the world around us. Obviously, it has plenty of potential as a simple blast of energy cast upon an enemy or obstacle. It also has application as a remedy of revival and/or minor healing. You aren't going to put a man back together, but you could surely close minor wounds. Be advised that Spiritual healing has a much greater drain on a caster because of the vast amounts of cellular activity that the caster creates when closing wounds; caution is greatly advised. Also note that attempting to close more significant wounds (ie, a gash four inches in length and one-tenth deep) also puts a strain on the target being healed and is known to cause loss of consciousness or severe health disorders in more significant cases. Spiritual Magick can also be used to "enchant" objects or beings. Lycans have been known to enhance their own physical strength with a boost from their Spirit, or douse their blades with Spiritual energy to make their weapons more effective and deadly. Take note that this sort of Spiritual Magick drains the caster for as long as the caster keeps the "enchantment" in place. The strength of the drain depends upon the distance of the enchanted object from the caster; even holding a weapon as opposed to hovering an inch from it makes a significant difference. This is due to the "bonds" Spirits make between physical entities when connected or touching. The longest known enchantment lasted for just over an hour, and ended with the caster's death. Be wary.
-----------------
If anyone thinks there should be more applications for any of the magick, speak up. I'm not entirely here *taps skull* today.

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Dapper Codger

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm
I think Birdman just about sums it up to a T.

Alaundria... wow, The Dark Crystal. Now that is old school. I have a copy of it on VHS that my parents taped off TV like 15 years ago. Anyway, yes, the Lycans are in a sense similar to the Mystics from that. I was kind of envisioning them as Native American-based culture. Particularly, the Pacific-Northwest tribes, with perhaps a few of the Norse cultural beliefs regarding honor and strength, as well as combat style.  
Story Development Panel

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff