Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
This caught my eye earlier today Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:32 pm
As the title says, this is an article that caught my eye today.

The Associated Press

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - A school board in central Ohio voted Friday to move ahead on firing a science teacher accused of preaching his Christian beliefs in class and using a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms.

The Mount Vernon school board voted 5-0 to pass a resolution of intent to terminate the contract of middle school teacher John Freshwater.

Board attorney David Millstone said Freshwater is entitled to a hearing to challenge the dismissal. A lawyer for Freshwater said he will request such a hearing

A report by independent investigators found that Freshwater also taught creationism in his science class and was insubordinate in failing to remove a Bible and other religious materials from his classroom.

School board members gathered a day after consulting firm H.R. On Call Inc. released its report. The community is about 40 miles northeast of Columbus.

The report comes one week after a family filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Columbus against Freshwater and the school district, saying Freshwater burned a cross on their child's arm that remained for three or four weeks.

They're family values, friend says
Freshwater's friend Dave Daubenmire defended him.

"With the exception of the cross-burning episode ... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district," he told The Columbus Dispatch for a story published Friday.

Several students interviewed by investigators described Freshwater, who has been employed by the district for 21 years, as a great guy.

But Lynda Weston, the district's director of teaching and learning, told investigators that she has dealt with complaints about Freshwater for much of her 11-year term at the district, the report said.

Science tool used to make crosses
A former superintendent, Jeff Maley, said he tried to find another position for Freshwater but couldn't because he was certified only in science, the report said.

Freshwater used a science tool known as a high-frequency generator to burn images of a cross on students' arms in December, the report said. Freshwater told investigators he simply was trying to demonstrate the device on several students and described the images as an "X," not a cross. But pictures show a cross, the report said.

Other findings show that Freshwater taught that carbon dating was unreliable to argue against evolution.

Here's a picture:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Please Discuss  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:09 am
1. That is a cross burned into a students arm. NO APPEAL FOR HIM! 2. So it's an X is it? YOU STILL BURNED IT INTO A ******** KIDS ARM! PSYCHO! 3. I would like to get a branding iron that brands the word PSYCHO into anything it brands and then go to his house with it red hot shoot him with a paralyzing tranqulizer so he can't move but he can still feel everything and then BURN that PERMANTLY into his FOREHEAD! 4. John Freshwater is everything wrong with humanity today. Thank you and good-bye. I need to go PUKE MY COLON.  

Dirty Dirty Shisno

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:08 am
It just seems... random to me. You don't believe in evolution... so you're burning crosses... or X's on to the arms of students? What?

Obviously, teachers shouldn't be doing things that will cause physical damage to anyone... for whatever reason. This is just bizarre.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:53 pm
This is pretty bizarre and very, very wrong, even if this occurred at a private Christian school. I don't know which was worse, this guy burning crosses into student's arms or the fact that he was harming students? Actually, I think the latter is what irks me the most.  

Arios V

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:30 am
******** up retards scarring kids to promote jesus. Why am I not surprised?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:15 pm
I don't think it was the cross-branding that irritated me the most, I think it was the fact that he injured the students. Teachers harming students is never acceptable.  

Arios V

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Physical and intellectual injury: two things that should never occur within a school. This man should be punished harshly for both. Was it actually supposed to be "okay" for him to burn images into his students' arms even if the images were just innocuous-looking X-marks?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:12 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Physical and intellectual injury: two things that should never occur within a school. This man should be punished harshly for both. Was it actually supposed to be "okay" for him to burn images into his students' arms even if the images were just innocuous-looking X-marks?

The day something like that becomes "Okay" in America, is the day I go jump off a cliff and kill myself. stare

Sanguvixen

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:28 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer

I am surprised that he wasn't immediately arrested by police for assaulting a minor or assault and battery.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:44 pm
Arios V
Daffodil the Destroyer

I am surprised that he wasn't immediately arrested by police for assaulting a minor or assault and battery.

It only makes sense for them to tread lightly when religious entanglements are involved.

Sanguvixen

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:34 pm
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Daffodil the Destroyer

It only makes sense for them to tread lightly when religious entanglements are involved.

Still, they should at least fine him for doing what he did. Harming students is not right.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:18 pm
I was gonna ask about what the high-frequency thing does, then I went searching and found a little more info if anyone is interested-
http://mouemagazine.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/intelligent-design-teacher-branded-student/  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:43 pm
caustic 0_0
I was gonna ask about what the high-frequency thing does, then I went searching and found a little more info if anyone is interested-
http://mouemagazine.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/intelligent-design-teacher-branded-student/

Thank you for posting this. I forgot to post this up at the time.

Still, my biggest problem with what he did is that he didn't get arrested for harming students.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:35 pm
Wow...Thats a little insane, don't you think?

Rishima Lowell

o Key o

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:42 pm
My question is, how was this man a teacher at said school for twenty-one years? Especially since during eleven of those years, he was getting complaints filed against him.

Did he not get evaluated by his superiors? Did they not notice that he was preaching creationism and not science? Did students not find it odd that their teacher wasn't teaching them the subject they had signed up for?

Also, I think that firing someone who physically injured students is not a harsh enough punishment.

I hate when things like this happen.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces