Reply Readers' and Writers' Guild
Meeting Authors/Seeing Where They Wrote Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Merenwen99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:52 am
Is it a thrill for you to meet authors? And not even necessarily authors of your favorite books, but authors in general, or authors of books that you find decent? And then there are those authors who are dead. You can't meet them. Do you want to visit their home towns or their houses?

Personally, I love meeting authors, especially authors of books that I like. I have so much respect for them that I consider meeting them an honor. Yesterday, I had the amazing opportunity to visit the house of Edgar Allen Poe in Baltimore. He's no longer living, of course, but being in his house where he wrote several of his works was simply thrilling.

So, readers and writers, have you met any authors or visited their places of dwelling? Who?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:36 am
I've ALWAYS wanted to meet an author. Any author, really. Just so I can say "Oh, yeah. I met the person who wrote that." There was an author in my middle school, actually, that came and spoke to us about her book... but that doesn't count. Lol.

I'd love to meet and have a chat with: Chuck Palahniuk, Daniel Handler, David Pelzer, Harper Lee, J.D. Salinger, and Edgar Allan Poe, just to name a few. I know that for a couple of those it's more than impossible (Poe is dead and Salinger is a recluse), but it'd still be pretty grand if I got to meet them.  

irock708

iMythy

5,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:07 am
I've met several Authors actually. Bill Wallace, Wendelin Van Draanon.
I've met more, but I can't exactly remember all of them.
If you've ever read "The Falcon of Abydose", I've met the author of that book to.
I've never actually visited the home of an author/past author, but I think it would be kind of neat.

(( Pardon any spelling errors in names or books. @.@ ))

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:42 am
I haven't met any authors, but I can think of a few I'd love to talk to in my lifetime. It'd be amazing.  

xxcelestialstarxx

Renette

7,875 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:46 pm
I'd love to meet Elie Weisel, author of Night. I haven't ever really had a chance to meet authors or visit their places of birth/living spaces. The closest I've gotten to talking with one was a correspondence with Irene Radford, and a form letter from Dean Koontz. >.>;  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 pm
I always thought it would be cool to sit and talk with Stephen King or even Stephen Hawking. Not just saying stuff like "zomgs I loves your books!!!" More like just a casual conversation about whatever comes to mind, like you'd have with your friends. It'd be interesting to just TALK with them and see their take on things.  

Mishi Love

Benevolent Loiterer

10,275 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Object of Affection 150

Calla Ayden

Moonlight Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:16 pm
I met Stephenie Meyer.
I'd really love to met Eoin Colfer though. He's amazing.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:43 pm
Umm . . . he's not really well known, and he's not the greatest, but I met an author named Dow Kump, who wrote Project-00. I really want to meet Stephanie Meyer. She only lives about 20 miles away from my house.  

xAngelxKissedx

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:41 am
My high school had some author come in and talk about writing, but I can't even remember who he was or what he wrote. Some adolescent novel about sharks or something.

Other than that, I haven't met/corresponded with any authors. I can think of a few I wouldn't mind chatting with, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:17 pm
I've met more illustrators than authors, but I LOVE to meet either. Not that I *need* it's just FUN!

A few I have met...
Stephenie Meyers
Brett Helquist
Orson Scott Card
James C. Christensen
Rick Walton
Chris Heimerdinger  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

irock708

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 pm
Aw! Kipluck met Helquist! I like his art style and I love his brief biography at the back of the ASOUE books. Darn, I bet it was neat meeting him...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:31 pm
He is SO nice and geeky. He grew up here and we went to rival high schools. I so wish we would have been, like, FRIENDS. Because I would SO have had a crush on him.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Amethyst Heaven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:10 pm
Wow, lucky you.
I wish to meet so many authors...I wish I could. I never have before, not even an author that isn't well known. Authors don't come to Iowa much.
I have, however, met Slipknot and they sing great music. lol They grew up in Iowa, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:51 pm
Kipluck, Orson Scott Card? Seriously. So lucky!

Don't know if he counts as much (you're all talking novelists), but I live in the same town as Theodore Rothke did. I went over to his house and walked through the woods he used for inspiration. It was really cool!  

serephemeral
Crew

seleneswan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:30 pm
I've met...

arrow Neal Shusterman (Author of Full Tilt, Everlost...many more)

arrow Rick Riordan (Author of the Lightning Thief series)

And I was soo close to meeting Stephenie Meyer, but I wasn't able to. sad

I really want to meet...

arrow Christopher Paolini (author of Eragon and Eldest)

arrow Eoin Colfer (Author of Artemis Fowl series, the Wish List, The Supernaturalist and many more...)

arrow Dan Brown. Ohmygoodness I want to meet Dan Brown. O.O Amazing writer. He wrote The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons and more...

arrow J.K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter). I want to meet her, too.

arrow James Patterson. (Author of Maximum Ride series, Sunday at Tiffany's, Cross series, and many many more...)

arrow Stephen King would be cool to meet, too.

And if I could go back in time, I would love to meet Daphne Du Maurier, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte, Jane Austen, and I think that's it...

razz My list is loong xD  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces