Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Professor Inky
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:54 pm
Book Information

Tarvalon.net
A Memory of Light will be the twelfth and final book of the Wheel of Time serie, and will therefore deal with Tarmon Gai'don.

Robert Jordan was working on it until his death in September 2007. He left a partial manuscript, many audiotapes and copious notes. The book will be completed by author Brandon Sanderson, and edited by Robert Jordan's wife, Harriet Rigney, who worked on the previous books. The manuscript is due to be finished December 2008 with publication some time in the fall of 2009.

**Latest News**
Dragonmount.com
PRE-ORDER this book from Amazon.com and help support Dragonmount

About this Book
As we all know, Robert Jordan passed away in September, 2007. The book he was working on, A Memory of Light, which was intended to be the twelth and final novel in The Wheel of Time series, was incomplete at the time of his passing. He left behind a staggering amount of notes on the world, as well as some written chapters for the final book. In addition, for the parts of the story he did not have documented in written form, he passed on in the good, old fashioned way: he told people the story.

In his last days he told the story to his friends and family, who recorded it onto tape. In the months that followed his death, Harriet McDougal, Robert Jordan's beloved wife and editor, put together a comprehensive outline of this final book.

Brandon Sanderson, an up-and-coming fantasy writer (and long-time fan of Robert Jordans's) was chosen by Harriet to bring the outline to life in the form of a published novel. Harriet will edit these book, just as she did the rest of the series.

In March 2009, it was announced that A Memory of Light was going to be far too long to contain into a single novel and would be published as three seperate novels instead. This was primarily a creative decision, and not a business one. (For a full explanation of why this decision was made, please read Brandon's blog post on the topic).

The final three books will be:

1. The Gathering Storm
2. Shifting Winds (Working title... Brandon says it WILL change!)
3. Tarmon'Gaidon (Working title - alt title: A Memory of Light)

It was originally discussed that these books would be written as one book that was simply divided. This is NOT the case. Each book will be its own independent novel, with its own story and chracter arcs.

When will it be published?
The Gathering Storm will be published on Tuesday, October 27, 2009. This is directly in line with the intial speculation that the book would be published in the Fall of 2009. (See the count-down widget on this page)

The timeframe for the remaining novels is currently unknown. Brandon Sanderson is currently working on completing them. For frequent updates directly from Brandon, be sure to visit his website (www.brandonsanderson.com) and read his blog.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:28 pm
Ah, I just wanted to see what everyone's expectations for this book are.
Obviously, we're all waiting for the outcome of the Last Battle, but what else?
I was thinking back to all the loose ends that need tying up.
For example: Elayne's babies, will Rand or Lews Therin die on the rocks of Shayol Ghul (sorry if I spelled that wrong), will Moraine come back, will Egwene escape the clutches of the White Tower and become the true Amyrlin, etc.

Professor Inky
Captain

Your Irish Twin Brother

Dangerous Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:40 pm
Perrin and Faile will have kids. Rand will not die, but he will kill the leaders of the black tower(conversations hint that they might be insane), Rand will bind the daughter of the nine moons to himself, and he will survive because Moirane will be saved. Also, Avienda will have quadrupletes, who all will be able to channel. Egwene will survive.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:03 pm
Everyone may know this by now, but here's an article that everyone may like. It's from an Wheel of Time fan site that worked with Jordan himself before his death and Dragonmount.com several times. It's called wotmania.com

wotmania.com
TOR ANNOUNCES THE GATHERING STORM, BOOK TWELVE OF ROBERT JORDAN’S LEGENDARY WHEEL OF TIME® FANTASY SERIES

Tor Books is proud to announce the November 3rd, 2009 on-sale date for The Gathering Storm, Book Twelve of The Wheel of Time and the first of three volumes that will make up A Memory of Light, the stunning conclusion to Robert Jordan’s beloved and bestselling fantasy series. A Memory of Light, partially written by Jordan and completed by Brandon Sanderson, will be released over a two-year period.

Robert Jordan, one of the greatest storytellers of the 20th and early 21st centuries, passed away in 2007 after a courageous battle with the rare blood disease amyloidosis. Brandon Sanderson, the New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn books, was chosen by Jordan’s editor—his wife, Harriet McDougal—to complete the final book.

The Wheel of Time series has sold over 14 million copies in North America and over 30 million copies worldwide with translations into 28 languages. The last four books in the series were all #1 New York Times bestsellers, and for over a decade readers have been eagerly awaiting the conclusion to the epic story.

Harriet McDougal said on the process behind A Memory of Light: “The scope and size of the novel was such that it could not be contained in a single volume, It was a piece of marvellous good fortune that Brandon Sanderson undertook the work. He is a great pleasure to work with, as well as a wonderful writer.”

President and Publisher of Tor Books, Tom Doherty, also expressed his happiness with A Memory of Light, saying: “It is a magnificent closure to a great American epic fantasy whose journey began almost twenty years ago. There is no way Robert Jordan would have squeezed it to a single volume, and somehow it seems fitting that what began as a trilogy will also end as one.”

The first ever JordanCon will take place this April 17th – 19th, 2009 in Alpharetta, GA. Harriet McDougal, Tom Doherty, Brandon Sanderson, and other members of “Team Jordan” will attend as featured guests and speak personally on The Wheel of Time and The Gathering Storm and the stories behind the rich literary legacy of Robert Jordan. JordanCon will also include a special preview of The Gathering Storm.

This year will also see major publications of Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time comic books and graphic novels with the launch of The Eye of the World comics in May and the New Spring graphic novel with bonus material in November. The Dabel Brothers will be releasing the comic book series, which will then be collected and published as graphic novels by Tor Books.

Universal Pictures acquired the movie rights to The Wheel of Time in August 2008, and currently plan to adapt The Eye of the World as the first movie.

They also said that the first book will center around Rand and Egwene. I think the MoL trilogy should be great. I've read all of Brandon Sanderson's books out right now and he's a true student of Robert Jordan, if a little chopy with his writing in his first two books.  

Zombie Mark

Heavy-Metal-Hippie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:01 pm
It's really been so long since I've read the other books, I've forgotten a lot of the details. sweatdrop I expect Rand to go absolutely batshit-crazy, however.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 pm
I'm sure he will, but not sure it will be this book, maybe book three (15?) of the MoL trilogy.

I read a weird out there theory about how the "His blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul" (forgive me if that's spelled wrong, it's been awhile since I read the series now. At least a year). They claimed that they thought that Rand and Moridin (who I think is Ishamael reborn) would switch body's and then Rand in new form kills Moridin. Anyone think this guy was out there or could he be right? Personally, I think that's to simple for RJ (and too out there).  

Zombie Mark

Heavy-Metal-Hippie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:38 am
I dunno, it's been too long for me to even remember that part. :/ I've gotta read 'em again... It doesn't really sound like something RJ would write, though. Although I wasn't expecting Rand to get his hand blown off, and while we're on that subject, he isn't really "marked as the Dragon" anymore, is he? He's missing a heron.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 pm
You know, I haven't thought about that. That's true though.  

Zombie Mark

Professor Inky
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:39 am
Dragonmount.com
Will the prologue be published early?
Yes! You can order it from Amazon.com right now for $2.99 as an eBook. If you're wondering why you have to pay, it's because it's 20,000+ words (about 100 pages) and you're getting it over a month early before the release date.

In addition, you can read chapter one, Tears from Steel, for free on Tor.com until the end of October.

There was a special reading from the prologue at the JordanCon convention in April 2009. Harriet shared an audio recording of Robert Jordan, just 21 days before his death, dictating the opening to the prologue in The Gathering Storm. He was not reading, he was telling the story in vivid detail. The experience was incredible, and by the end of it, the entire room of 200+ people was completely silent save for a few people weeping. To read the opening of the prologue was one thing. To hear Robert Jordan tell it to you was something even more amazing. At this time the audio file is not online, and it will be up to Harriet if she ever wishes to release it to the public.

What will happen in this book?
We have, of course, no idea! (Well, some of our staff do. Read our review of the book here) Dragonmount will soon publish a list of unresolved questions and plot threads that we know of. Most of those are likely to be resolved, but both Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson are known for their suprise twists.

Brandon Sanderson said the following about the contents of the final books:

[These books] WILL finish the series. I've read the outline, and I am confident that I can do it in a single book. This won't go five more novels. It will end here.

Note that I'm not saying there won't be more Wheel of Time material released. That's not up to me. There were notes for prequels (Mr. Jordan wrote one of a planned three) and some notes on what happened to certain characters after the end of book 12. However, those are all intended as extra information and separate books outside the Wheel of Time main series.

Link to article.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:50 pm
i just finished reading the gathering storm. sanderson did a good job. i hope he does as good or better on the next two.  

Collarchain

Zombie Mark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:35 pm
I have my copy, but haven't started to read it yet. I'm almost finished with George R. R. Martians book 3 of "A Song of Ice and Fire", "A Storm of Swords", and want to finish that first. I'm a bit of a slow reader as I like to take my time and enjoy it. Right now, I'm on pg 868 of 1128. After that, I'll be reading The Gathering Storm.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:00 pm
Ah, I just started reading The Gathering Storm today and am only halfway through chapter 2 but so far I like it. I'm just mildly upset with myself for trying to find the differences in style between Sanderson and Jordan. As I read, I'm like, "Hm, I think Robert Jordan would of said it - ********! Stop judging the man and just read, damnit!"  

Professor Inky
Captain

Zombie Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:48 pm
I did that when they first annouced Sanderson as Jordan's successor and I started reading his books. But if you go back and read his first published book (Elantris) and his last two, (Warbeaker and The Gathering Storm), his style has drastically changed and improved to become more Jordan like. Too me, Elantris was very choppy and jumped around at random points, but through out the Mistborn Trilogy and Warbreaker, you see that choppiness smooth out and the randomness become more calculated (if you know what I mean). I just gave up comparing styles though knowing that Sanderson would never become just like Jordan, but may one day be just as good through his own style.

As for reading of The Gathering Storm, I started reading today at work but didn't get much time to read it. It seemed that every time I picked the book up, a customer would come and I had to put the book back down, silently cursing them in my head. stressed  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:09 pm
I have this book signed by Brandon -hugs it tightly- I can't wait untill I'm finished with Knife of Dreams so I can read it. Does anyone else feel like they don't know what they'll do once this seriese is over?  

Faoladh Morgan

Dapper Werewolf

9,725 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Faoladh Morgan

Dapper Werewolf

9,725 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:08 pm
I'm about half way through this book. [Spoiler book 12]I almost died laughing when Cadsuane spanked Semirhage. Brandon said that that scene was one of the ones Jordan had done before his death but had I not known that I would have thought it was something he put it. It was very funny.  
Wheel of Time Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff