Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Painted Washer Pendants! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hmm, think anyone would buy these things..?
  Why sure!
  No way!
View Results

Strawbryrain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:08 pm
These are my newest creations when I have the dangerous combination of Creativity + Boredom. smile These are fender washers painted with acrylic paint, and then coated with either acrylic polish or mod podge (in the case of the flower pendant). See what you think.

My personal favorite to wear... "Modern Day Hippie", it's kind of hard to read in this shot...
User Image

Windblown bamboo!
User Image

And finally... A sunset. It's kind of scratched up because it's not coated yet.. :/ it will eventually say "Not All Who Wander Are Lost".
User Image

Edit: Hey, I made a new one! This one has a clay bird on it, then painted with copper and very light green patina. Not a very good pic, but it makes the bird look like metal too, so I'm decently pleased.
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:41 pm
I think they are cute!  

KiwiDragon

Strawbryrain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:44 am
Thanks. Any other opinions?

Go ahead and critique them. Don't be afraid to give your opinions and tips! That's how I get better. After all, I'm not the best painter in the world. smile

Also, if anyone has any suggestions of what else I can paint on other washers, let me know, please. I'm having a bit of a mind blank. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:17 am
How big are they? It's hard to tell from the photographs.

Perhaps if you made some similar ones and strung them together on a string to make a necklace, you'd have more people interested.

Also, try varying the sizes: some big, some small.

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:25 am
I like the bamboo one, though I might have gone with a different background color to make it stand out, and not fade into each other. I'm definitely going to look into making some of these. I love the Modern Day Hippie (being one myself)... and the "Not all who Wander are Lost" is like, one of my personal mottos. ^_^

I definitely like the glittery look on the MDH one, rather than the flat look from the bamboo... is that a difference in paint or the coating?

I wa just thinking, these might also be cool as keychain fobs.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:26 pm
Thanks for the info!

All three are roughly 1 and a half to 2 inches in diameter (The sizes of them are: M.D.Hippie=3/8" fender washer, Bamboo=5/16" fender washer, and Sunset=3/8" fender washer. These are, of course, the inner diameter, if you'd like to find some like them. They can be found at any hardware store.)

To answer your question about the shiny vs. matte paint, there actually is no difference in the brand of paint, and it doesn't seem to be determined by the coating. For some reason, one of my green acrylic paints has a metallic sheen, even though it mentions no word of this on the bottle. A delightful little surprise when I used it!

I'm not sure how it'd look with more than one strung on a cord, since they're so big.. but you're right. Adding small ones on the sides might give it a nice flair. And yes, I might try keychains as well. Thanks for the awesome ideas, guys. 3nodding  

Strawbryrain

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:32 am
Ah, they are a lot bigger than I thought they were.

Yeah, maybe add two smaller (I mean really small) ones on either side of the main one, and you might have an improvement.

I really like the modern day hippie one.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:52 pm
My only issue with those is that the cord covers up some of the design, so I'd either purposely leave an area blank that the cord would cover up, or use wire to make a loop/ drill a hole (<--probably too time-consuming) for the cord to hang from. Otherwise, I think they're great! biggrin  

bookaholic

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:09 pm
Your washer idea gave me an idea for homemade I-Ching coins. smile
Thought I'd let you know ^_~  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:48 am
Added a new one, check it out.  

Strawbryrain

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:16 pm
I like the one with the bird. Thats very neat looking. DX I feel like making something now. I don't have any stuff I could make something out of besides fabric. Hmmm.. I'll just have to see what I can find in the crafting section at Walmart next time I go there.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:28 am
I love them. The third one in particular is gorgeous!  

Volatile Rainbow

Twill Hat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 am
The bird one is absolutely ********. And great art on the sunset one.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:41 pm
Great idea! I especially love that last one =^.^=  

Silvermoonfall

Moonlight Shapeshifter

7,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 am
Twill Hat
The bird one is absolutely ********. And great art on the sunset one.

What she said.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces