Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
~CT's Brawl Guide~ on hold. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 23 24 25 26 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 pm
page 26 for information.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Yes, it's a random moonwalk mario.

ANNOUNCEMENT:
First page has undergone massive structure change. Due to the character limit per post, the guides have been distributed among all posts. I wish I had one more reserved post, this might be close...

EDIT: Check page 17 for info on the expansion.

May be coming soon: Link, Luigi

Hey everyone. This is CT, and from today on the guild of awesome is blessed with quite a formidable chunk of my brawl nerdness. Before anything, I’d like to say I’m not trying to flaunt any of my skills here. This is a GUIDE. Here, I will introduce characters from brawl to you, along with their moves, but also strategies, combos and so on. It’s a little poor right now, but hey, I’m European, and even though coffee and comfortable furniture allowed me to spend quite a bunch of hours a day on my wii, I myself haven’t experienced every character yet, and guides ain’t so easy to write either. It will be long before I’ve got a guide for every char, but I’d rather not just rush through. You’ll see what I mean after the first one you read. All information is gathered by my very own gameplay and / or youtube videos. I will also try to be as newbie-friendly as possible, including pictures, gameplay videos and so on.
Feel free to ask individual questions about a certain move, and I'll look into it and explain it in-depth (you can ask questions about chars I didn't make guides about yet, too). Oh, and go on and complain, suggest and comment, it's greatly appreciated.

The guides are spread over the next few posts. Looking for a certain character? Press Ctrl + F and search for the name.

STUFF

WHITE LIST(If you're on here, you're great):
Itakio for steadily pointing out flaws and suggesting good stuff. Yay him!
Yin Yung Yang for keeping this thread alive while I'm slacking off. Thanks!

BLACK LIST(nubs and douches):
Kath and Yin for using jigglypuff

BANNERS
Go on and make me one. D<

Made by ME:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/5m2q34][img]http://tinyurl.com/5t2xqw[/img][/url]

SECRET CHARACTER SPOILERS, DUH.

BRAWL CHARACTER GUIDES A-E

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Bowser (made by Otawara, all credit goes to him)
Bowser has changed for the better in many ways from his transition to Brawl. His attack's looks have remained very similar looking to his Melee ones, but power and range have been switched around a bit. Personally, I liked Melee Bowser just a bit better, but oh well.

Bowser is by FAR the heaviest character in the game.(No, Ganondorf is the heaviest HUMANOID) He also posses the game's strongest attack, compared only by Tabuu's Off Waves and Charizard's Rock Smash.Bowser is one of the few characters in the game who can crawl. The only bad thing I can say about Koopa is that runs funny.(Can that even be considered running?)

Neutral A: A claw strike. Deals minimal knockback and is pretty strong for a single hit. The second attack deals the knockback. Use this attack when you're in close combat to rack up some damage early on. If you get swatted away, use the Side Tilt, it has much more damage to it and more range.

Side Tilt: A single straight, no question asked punch forward. It has high knockback and deals 10 damage. However, there is a pretty long afterlag to this attack. Use this when you're sure of yourself, be careful with it. A well timed side tilt from Bowser can easily KO almost any enemy at 80 damage without throwing Bowser directly into the fray.

Up Tilt: A single claw rake upwards that goes in a 180 degree angle around Bowser. It's not as strong compared to his other attacks, but its still good compared to other characters. It won't kill anybody unless they're at very high damages, so I like using the Up Smash better.

Down Tilt: Two claw rakes before Bowser in a rather quick succession. However, the second one rarely connects. Use this attack when you're crawling around. The knockback should be enough to land a Side tilt attack. Bam. Easy 20 damage.

Side Smash: This is questionably the strongest attack in the game, and as mentioned before, rivaled only by Charizards Rock Smash and Tabuu's Off Waves. If fully charged, this attack can deal a whopping 48 damage. There is two hits to this attack, the first dealing 12 damage and the other doing 36 damage. The best way to connect this attack is by having an enemy run directly into you. This is the attack you will use the most against Ground-borne enemies in Bosses Mode. This attack can easily kill Ganondorf at 40 damage.

Up Smash: Bowser makes good use of his shell and spikes it up, damaging enemies directly above him. Sadly. This attack has MASSIVE power. Use it to kill a gliding pest above you or a high damaged enemy. Sadly, it only hits anyone above Bowser or almost on top of him.

Down Smash: Not bowser's strongest smash. But nonetheless, very damaging. It cancels out most attacks heading towards it AND the attack keeps going. It has little knockback and is very fastly done, but has long afterlag. The final hit can KO enemies upwards.

Neutral Air: A spin. A SPIKY TURTLE SPIN. It's suprisingly strong for just a spin, but well, this IS Bowser.... Use it as an aerial GTFO, for most of Bowser's aerials are slow.

Forward Air: A claw rake forward that has high knockback. It is very strong and can easily KO an enemy at 70 percent. However, this attack has long afterlag and it can be seen coming from a mile away. BUT do not underestimate this attack. Since Bowser's jumps are so low, you can use this to wipe out enemies on the floor.

Back Air: Bowser arches his back behind him to strike enemies. It's kinda awkward to use since Bowser doesnt jump high, and it has long afterlag, specially if Bowser lands before the attack is over. He lands on his back if the attack misses. Use the neutral air instead, it hurts almost as much and has almost as much range.

Up Air: This is Bowser's slowest aerial. He looks up, takes aim and hen strikes above him. This attack almost always misses, but it is very strong. It can KO enemies in there late 80s.

Down Air: A spin downwards. This attack is the only aerial that hits multiple times in Bowser's arsenal. It's very fast and finishes quickly, so its not very strong or practical. Use it to lay some damage on pesky gliders bellow you. You can also trap enemies bellow you and not flying away, so you can keep chaining this for a while.

Neutral Special: Firebreath. This attack is self explanatory. However, after prolonged use, the fire starts shrinking away until only a weak ember is left. This attack is marvelous to use against multiple enemies, since it goes through them and barely causes knockback. Heck, it can't win you a sudden death match. You can easily chain a noob into it for up to a massive 48 damage from just one prolonged session.

Side Special: I shall call it... Koopa Klaw 2.0.... I dont like it as much as the one from Melee, but its better in some ways. It's range from Melee shrunk. But instead of biting enemies, Bowser grabs a single enemy and takes to the air with them and body slamming them for about 18 damage. This attack is great. It rarely ever fails to steal a Smash ball, it can be used to Bowsercide, and can be used to recover if landed properly. Sadly, it will not lay damage on Smash balls and only a measily claw strike will be done in bosses mode. If this attack misses, it loks a little wierd, as if Bowser is swatting away a fly. However, the more damaged Bowser is, the enemies chances of escaping this attack are very likely. If the enemy is very damaged, Bowser will easily use this attack. If an enemy manages to struggle out, Bowser will still continue with the attack and do no damage to anyone. Good and great attack. It's faster on the ground and leaves Bowser open a lot longer in the air.

Up Special: Bowser Fortress. Bowser spins around a couple of times and moves slightly upwards. This attack excells more as a horizontal recovery and this attack isnt as strong as others.... Use it to get across the stage when there is a pile of enemies before you. It moves more on the floor than on the air. This attack can keep going even though a projectile is flung at him and

Down Special: Bowser Bomb is probably Bowser's second highest knocback related move. First, Bowser claws before him, launching an enemy into the air with a measily four damage. He then drops on them with crushing force and sends enemies flying! He moves a little on land, but in the air, he jsut drops straight down and can't be cancelled out of. If this attack misses, Bowser is left open for quite a while, so use it sparingly. Also, use it when you're knocked high up int he sky as a little present.

Dash Attack: A full body tackle that does high damage and pretty good knockback. I dont use it too much, but its a pretty good attack. Be careful using this, it leaves Bowser open for an eternity and has a small hitbox.

Grabs: Bowser's grabs are pretty strong, save for the up throw. His grab range is pretty standard and the throws are executed quickly. The down throw is one of my favorite to look at. However, since Bowser lacks range, this is not very practical.

Final Smash: Giga Bowser from Melee. Except this time, he isn't very easy to KO. Or easy to sweep off his feet. In fact, you can't sweep him or make him flinch at all. BUT, he still takes damage. Be sure to be careful with this fact. The actual attack range is cut, but the elemental portion mostly makes up for it. It is possible to 'dodge' this Final Smash by hanging to a ledge since Bowser can't hurt you down there... unless he uses the Down A attack, which deals massive dark damage. Bowser's Final Smash is a damaging KO one, but you're open for attack as well, so be very careful. You can still Bowserside as Bowser and die via ground pound. Remember, this time, you can't cancel out of it at all since Giga Bowser does not flinch. At all. The only bad thing about this Final Smash is that if you are fighting a smart enemy, they would have laid as much damage on you as possible while in Giga Form, leaving Bowser open for an easy K.O.

Anyways, Giga Bowser is Bowser... with his attack power multiplied three fold.. his uglyness multiplied twenty fold... and elemental damage tossed into the attacks as well. Giga Bowser is HUGE. He takes up almost the entire Final Destination. His attack range is shortened, so take advantage of this. He also jumps a lot lower. Pick off any enemies left behind in Bowser's wake. You might also want to consider hitting Bowser with everything you've got, considering he only has about 15 seconds to shine. Giga Bowser cannot use items.

Attributes: POWAR. And a Deffensive/Offensive/Recovering Up B attack.

Hints and Stuff: Bowser is a hard character to pull off. Mastering his Firebreath and Koopa Klaw 2.0 will prove quite usefull. Giga Bowser is also a lot harder to keep in check, specially considering you have about 15 minutes to kick a**. Train dilligently before you use Bowser seriously. When Giga bowser, Use your down smash follwoed by up smash repeatedly for easy KOs.

All in all, Bowser remains a great character to use against smaller characters. What a bully. Anywho, Giga Bowser is probably the strongest Final Smash in the transofrmation category. It may not seem so because Bowser's range is cut and its easier to get away from him in big stages.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Captain Falcon
FALCON PUNCH!!!

End of article.

LOLNO. Serious now. Falcon had two major changes since melee. First: The falcon punch. It’s power varies depending on where it connects. The closer you are, the stronger the impact. Also, you can now tilt the control stick in the opposite direction you’re facing during a falcon punch to turn around and execute it to the other side, a bit slower but also a tad stronger. This has a lot of strategical potential, especially because it makes the attack less predictable. The best way to execute a falcon punch is to jump and then press B. That way, you’re a bit less vulnerable to enemy fire, and with the correct momentum you can fly quite far towards your opponent while charging. Now, this is my favourite part. Run, do a backwards jump out of it, then a reverse falcon punch. The result is a reverse reverse falcon punch. It’s helped me a lot; you’re barely left open, it goes a far distance and if it hits, your opponent will be KOed / sent flying far enough for you to easily go after him and finish it.
But now the second change. IT IS.. The knee. It’s A LOT weaker than it was in melee. Actually, it does 1 more % than it did in melee the first time you use it, but it’s hitbox now is just ridiculous. You have to be INSIDE the enemy the moment you execute it, and it’s close to impossible to actually connect with an enemy properly (apart from large ones). Your best bet is to use it while your target is on the ground, or trying to get back on the stage. Now, that’s it for the changes. By the way, captain falcon is probably the only char I will describe the changes like this for. I just found his to be most crucial. Let’s get to the moves.

Neutral A combo: Falcon jabs, jabs again, knees and then does a fast barrage of punches. This has also weakened from melee. The knockback of the knee is worst possible; It’s not enough to do any serious knockback, but just about enough to knock your enemies away from the punch barrage following. Which is bad. The barrage itself pushes enemies away instead of holding them, which also sucks. However, this move can block off most weak projectiles such as fireballs.

Side Tilt: Falcon does a roundhouse kick. Not as great as it sounds. Does 10% damage, comes out quickly but has a bit afterlag. Overall not a bad move, good to rack up damage quickly while the enemy is still on 0%.

Up Tilt: Falcon does a sort of high axe kick. A very nice move in my opinion. It may not come out as fast as the side tilt, but it does 13%, has a great hitbox (hits above you, too) and knockback good enough to make most enemies close to the stage edge with damage of around 100-120% unable of recovering. Try using it after a dash attack.

Down Tilt: Pretty much the side tilt, but with more afterlag. Good if you quickly want to chuck your enemy in the air, I prefer grabs over this move though.

Side Smash: Falcon rams his elbow of justice (name stolen from somewhere) in his opponents face. Very nice attack. It does high of knockback and decent damage, and it isn’t sooo slow either. And you can make it even better. Turn around before using this, then execute the attack into the direction you want to attack to. Falcon will do a little slide during the startup lag, thus increasing the range of the attack. This is very useful, use it whenever you can! Works great with the C-Stick.

Up Smash: Average damage, average knockback, average speed. Average move? That’s where you’re wrong! This is an awesome move if used right. Dash to the direction you want to attack and then press up on the C-Stick. Falcon will slide during the move, similar to the side smash, but with far greater distance, thus increasing his range massively. This can be done out of running aswell. Try using this after pushing your enemy off with a side tilt or forward throw.

Down smash: Falcon kicks the front, then the back. Sadly, there’s no fancy way to make this move better I know of, but it’s still pretty good. The first kick is a little stronger than the second, and the delay from the first makes it just about perfect to hit enemies who rolled behind you to evade the first one. It’s slightly faster than the forward smash, which may make it an opinion for finishing on high percent.

Neutral Air: Falcon rapidly kicks the air in front of him twice. Nice damage if both kicks connect, otherwisely kinda boring.

Forward Air: The knee of judgement (name stolen). As mentioned above, it’s been nerfed, but it’s still awesome if it hits. Don’t just randomly use it, set up your own combos and figure out how your enemy will move so he’ll run right into it. It’s still a great move, just more complicated to use. There’s still a lot of ways to use it. After a down tilt, down throw, dash attack, or even up smash on low percent.

Back Air: Falcon launches his arm backwards in the most manly way possible. Good knockback and damage. The range isn’t so great and it comes out a litte slower than the knee, and the Up Air almost completely replaces this. If you’re unexperienced with the knee, you may want to use this for air finishing.

Up Air: Falcon sweeps his legs in the air doing a somersault-like move. This one’s awesome. It’s fast, hits in front, above and a little behind you, and the knockback isn’t too bad either. Great for combos or to ward off enemies attacking from above / trying to recover. It fits just about anywhere. You can throw your enemy up in the air, do an up-air and finish with the knee. It’s also very nice to keep enemies getting back on the stage. Jump backwards off the stage and hit enemies.

Down Air: Falcon kicks below him with both legs. Good damage, good knockback. Spikes if it connects on the feet; if not, the enemy will be launched sideways. Awesome spike if you learn how to use it, but also great to rack up damage on the ground. Run towards your enemy, jump and use the c-stick to do this and hit your enemy as you fly over him.

Neutral Special: Falcon’s signature move, the all-powerful falcon punch. Explained in the changes above.

Side Special: Raptor boost. Falcon “boosts” forward. If he encounterns an enemy, he will launch him into air. If he doesn’t, he drops and is left open for a moment. Same as in melee. The aerial version has changed a little though. If you hit an enemy, falcon will do a short hop over him. So basically, if you were recovering and the enemy jumped out to get you and you managed to land it, the enemy would be spiked and you could use the little hop to get back on the stage. It’s risky though, since it doesn’t go too far, and if you miss you’ll fall.

Up Special: Falcon dive. Falcon freezes for a second, then “dives” up to recover. Decent recover, more vertical than horizontal. If you encounter an enemy on the way, falcon will hug him into his crotch, making him explode. Falcon will then do a little flip backwards. If you successfully do this to an enemy, you won’t enter the “unmovable falling”, but instead be able to do another falcon dive or whatever move may be suitable (unless it’s a ground move, cause those can’t be used in the air. K?). This move is also the reason edgehoggers hate falcon. Why? Cause if you use it to grab somebody hanging from an edge on final destination, he will be blown against the wall and then straight downwards. Ownage!

Down Special: Falcon kick. The less famous and second-manliest move in existence. Falcon rushes forward with his foot ahead. Did I mention he’s on fire? It goes pretty far, so far it’s useful to use it on the edge on the stage to get out as far as possible and UpAir the dude trying to recover (I take no responsibility for eventual suicides after this move, these are caused by your incompetence). It has afterlag though, and it goes less far the more enemies you hit during it. In the air, it will cause falcon to charge down in an angle just narrow enough so it’s not suited to recover. This move holds great priority by the way, it can cancel weak smashes and break through most tilts.

Dash attack: Falcon charges forward, ramming the enemy with his shoulders of manliness. Launches the enemy upwards, awesome for combos. Here’s one of my favorites. Dash attack, up tilt, up smash (with slide), knee. SHAZAM!!

Grabs: Up and forward punches the enemy in the respective direction, backwards makes falcon kick the enemy backwards. My favourite is the down throw though. Falcon throws the enemy to the ground, making him rebound and placing him just where you want him to be to go right after him with a few UpAirs, and if you feel lucky you may aswell try a knee.

Final Smash: Among the best final smashes in the name. It does only about 30% dmg, but it has enough knockback to KO a heavy character on 0%. As soon as you press B, falcon will yell “COME!!”, and right after “BLUE FALCON!!!” as his ship sweeps in from the right. Anyone struck by it will be taken to a racing track from F-Zero, and then be raped by a multi-ton-mach speed-monster. That’s right. You’re ********. The range isn’t so great, so wait for an opening and make sure you don’t lose the smashball.

Attributes:Falcon is the fastest character in the game, except for sonic of course. He has average jumps and average falling speed, he can wall-jump and he’s also the heaviest mid-weight character.

Hints and stuff: Captain Falcon has great combo potential thanks to his fast aerials and good throws. Finishing in the air may be a little tricky, but if you master the knee, you will soon kick a** like no other. Also, as a captain falcon player, there is one rule you must always follow. If you hit your enemy with a falcon punch, you absolutely MUST taunt. And you know which taunt works best. ;D

Charizard
[insert future content here]

Diddy Kong

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Donkey Kong (made by Otawara, all credit goes to him)
DK! Donkey Kong! He’s finally back! To kick some TAIL! DK makes his third hit in the series without much applause to his reappearance. Donkey Kong is a very underestimated character, but a close inspection shows that in raw power, He’s the leader of the bunch! Considering his size, DK is also pretty fast and nimble, especially considering the fact he’s gained some weight since Melee. So here is a summary of DK’s appearance in Brawl.
“He’s bigger, stronger, and faster too!”

Neutral A: A single punch that is pretty strong, followed up by another. It has pretty long after-lag but the knock back you’ll receive from the second hit will make up for it. It’s not a KO move; so don’t use it as such.

Side Tilt: DK swipes right in front of him. It has long range and has pretty good knock back followed by some after-lag. The knock back will prove rewarding though. Use this attack as a KO move at high damages.

Up Tilt: DK slaps upwards in a 180 angle. It doesn’t have as much range as the other arm attacks, but it can still hit pretty far. It comes out quickly an can be used to juggle enemies for a while without killing them.

Down Tilt: A single slap before DK. This attack has pretty good range and comes out rather slowly. It’s still strong and can shake off enemies at a small distance. There is no way to make this attack sound fancy, but it’s good.

Side Smash: Put your hands together, if you want to clap! As we take you through… This Monkey Rap! HUH! DK! Donkey Kong! This is just what DK’s side smash is all about! It has great power and has great range as well. Fully charged claps can KO Jigglypuff at just above 30 damage.

Up Smash: Umm…. Am I allowed to repeat the verse twice? Anyways, this is another clap, just directly above DK. This attack is not very practical to use against ground-bourn enemies. However… this attack is amazing against aerial enemies and pesky hoverers. It has good range as well. However, it has a little after lag to it, so be careful. This attack is best used against the Hand bosses, for it does a lot of damage.

Down Smash: DK slams his fists into the ground on both sides. This attack is pretty good for taking out two highly damaged targets at once. It has good range and sadly, it has after lag. Use this to attack two enemies that are paralyzed or asleep and are conveniently placed at both your sides.

Neutral Air: A simple spin in mid-air. It pushes enemies away and is DK’s fastest aerial. It’s an aerial GTFO that works great at high damages.

Forward Air: DK clasps his hands together and swings down in front of him. This is his strongest aerial damage-wise. It can be used as a Meteor Smash if landed correctly. It has long lag at both ends sadly. Don’t abuse it too much.

Back Air: A mule kick backwards. It carries surprising strength considering that the King of Swing’s forte is his arms. It looks a little awkward when you miss and doesn’t have as much range as his arm attacks. It can KO a highly damaged enemy.

Up Air: DK’s mama always told him to use his head. So lil’ DK listened to his mama. This attack consists of DK slamming his head upwards to knock enemies skyward. It is very strong and can easily KO a hovering pest. It has a bit of after lag, so time it correctly.

Down Air: DK stomps down on the air directly before him. This is his second meteor smash. It can KO pretty much anyone at the right time as long as they are at the right damage. It starts killing enemies on the floor as well in their late 100 and early 200’s. Use this attack to stomp down MK and let him know he’s not welcome until he gets a non-spammy move set.

Neutral Special: DONKEY PUNCH! Oh…wait…. Isn’t that something else? Uh oh… I meant to say; GIANT PUNCH! This attack is one of the stronger ones in the game is used correctly. If it is charged, the attack will be at the same strength, but the execution will be a lot swifter. The arm can hit an enemy, but the true power of this attack lies within the fist. The fist deals the most damage and knock back, and the knock back of the arm will not send you into the fist. As DK launches the attack, he will gain Super Armor, making him immune to flinching for a second. You can use this to avoid many a Final Smash, like Ike’s initial sword swing, Marth’s critical hit, even a Homerun Bat. BUT you will still take damage, so be careful. Don’t use this attack too much in Boss Battles, it’s not as strong as you think it would be against them. You can store the charge of this attack with R. If it’s fully charged, small puffs of steam blow from DK’s head. If he gets hit hard enough, he’ll loose the charge.

Side Special: DK’s mama always told him to use his head. I guess Mama DK didn’t intend it this way, but it works just as well. DK pulls his head back for a second and slams it down. The attack itself is weak, but it’s effect is devastating. If nailed on the floor, it slams enemies down into the ground, similar to the effect of a pitfall. If nailed in the air, the target will plummet rapidly and slam into the floor. It counts as a meteor smash. The attack lacks a lot of range and speed, so be careful using this. If you miss, you are open for a split second, so be warned. See the very end of DK’s ‘do? If that wee little tip of his head connects, massive electrical damage will be dealt to enemies AND they will be pounded into the floor. It’s very difficult to connect so be precise and strike truly!

Up Special: Spinning Kong is very similar to Bowser Fortress; they are both offensive and defensive recoveries. It can block off and keep going even after having a projectile thrown. When used on the ground, DK throws a punch as he starts. It scores multiple hits for up 36 damage if the whole attack connects. This attack also covers more distance on the ground and is much better as a horizontal recovery. When the attack starts, DK will throw a punch with about second interval before the actual spinning. The punch throws enemies away and it only occurs on the floor, however.

Down Special: DK’s mama didn’t believe in spoiling her child. But Lil’ DK wanted to get what he wanted. So he pounded and pounded away on the floor, hence creating Ground Pound. This attack is just what the story states; a distraction. Use this attack as a GET OFFA ME, since it covers the rear and the front with some good range on both. This attack will not KO anyone, so don’t think it does. This attack does not work in the air. USE IT DURING BOSS BATTLES. The attack has more range in front of DK and has only one hit box behind him.

Dash Attack: DK stops running and apparently kicks. It’s not that strong, has a small hit box and after lag. Avoid using this one so much, it’s not worth it in the long run.

Grabs: DK’s grabs consist of throws…. They’re not very fun to look at, but they deal the damage. His side throw is the only throw in the game that lets you walk around with the enemy in hand. Literally. You can use this technique to DK-side. This is often looked down upon however.

Final Smash: Konga Beat! This is probably the only interactive Final Smash that leaves you helpless at the same time. There are three beats you can hit before the announcer says “Ready? Go!” The goal is to pound on the A button as DK brings his hands down to the bongos to use the next attack. The smaller waves suck enemies closer into DK while the giant waves do damage. If everything is going well, DK will clap his hands during the middle of the song, which will do more damage than a normal gong. If you just pound away with no rhythm, the attack’s range will be cut to only a small circle around DK. Moving stages’ movement gets cut short when the smash begins, but you can still get a SD by hanging too low, too tall, or far behind. This is very hard to time during Online play.

Attributes: DK is nimble for someone his size, he’s strong, and can carry heavy items around pretty quickly AND jump with them as well. DK can also carry enemies around and fall off edges with them in hand. His Final Smash is very unique and interesting to use.

Hints and Stuff: Use DK’s range to his advantage. All three of his smashes have very good range and carry much KO potential. The Giant Punch can also be used to Wave dash, but only if charged completely and is hard to pull off. DK is often looked down upon in competitive play because of his awkwardness, but if you can put that aside, a very powerful Close-combat fighter will be revealed. You can use DK’s throws as distraction to start charging a smash that can amount to an easy 40 damage in seconds.

I would have Cranky play me out, but that’s not an option right now… So anyways, DK is a great choice for close combat matches. He excels on the ground and is one of the absolute strongest characters in the game, so use him well!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:15 pm
BRAWL CHARACTER GUIDES F-J

Falco

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Ganondorf
I’ve been looking forward to do this. Ganondorf is among the most underestimated characters in brawl, and one of my favourite things to do in any smash bros game was to kick a** with characters like him. He’s a very simple character, indeed. Let’s take a look at his attributes.
Power.

Yes, that’s it. EVERY SINGLE of Ganondorf’s moves has the potential to OWN you.
Well, I’m done fanboyizing. Ganondorf is a character not anyone can work with, mostly because of his speed. Ganondorf doesn’t just have slow moves, and the correct use of fast moves in combination with accurate placement of the strong ones is how Ganondorf works. Let’s see some facts!

Neutral A: Ganondorf quickly pushes his arm forward. He probably hid a hand shocker as everything you touch will be electrified and pushed back. This is Ganondorf’s fastest move, and thus one of the most important. Use it when you’re cornered to get some air, after a roll or just to KO someone on high %.

Side Tilt: The famous youtube Sparta kick. It’s pretty fast for ganondorf standards, does 13% damage, and, of course, high knockback. The range is better than neutral A, so use it on enemies charging you.

Up Tilt: Ganondorf lifts his leg, charges for a few seconds, then shoots it down causing an explosion and death to your enemies. Has been improved from melee. It is now faster and it has a gust effect. Enemies in front of ganondorf will automatically be sucked towards him. Still, it’s a pretty occasional move and kinda awkward to have it as an up tilt.

Down Tilt: Ganondorf kneels and kicks in front of him. Another must. It’s not much slower than the neutraö A, but it has upwards knockback and can be used to get the enemy in place for a follow-up attack, preferably an Up air or an Up smash on low percent. Use it!

Side Smash: One of the strongest smashes in the game. It works like captain falcon’s (no, he’s not a clone you queers), but it’s a little slower. The slide trick works aswell, and 24% damage UNCHARGED and instant KO around 85% is sure to whack your enemy out of his boots.

Up Smash: Ganondorf kicks the air above him and brings death to annoying gliding pest. Hits in front and above of you. It’s faster than the forward smash, and the knockback is great. Enemies around 100% are kicked into nirvana for sure. C-Stick out of dashing also works. Oh, and if you use this right after successfully performing a side special on your enemy, it hits pretty all of the time and your enemy can’t even do anything about it.

Down Smash: Ganondorf kicks the back, then the front. The second kick is stronger; the first kick will but the enemy in place for the second hit to connect and send him flying. Good damage if both kicks connect, the knockback isn’t so great though. Can also be used after the side special, though it doesn’t work as well as with the up smash.

Neutral Air: Comes out pretty fast, but it still sucks because the first hit doesn’t make the second connect. I haven’t found a good use for this move.

Forward Air: Ganondorf deals a strong punch. HIGH knockback and HIGH damage. While it comes out rather fast, it has a huge afterlag, so don’t use this move randomly.This will be your main finisher for airborne attacks.

Back Air: Ganondorf launches his arm backwards. Surprisingly fast and strong. Good as a finisher to replace the forward air if it’s too slow for you.

Up Air: Fast and powerful. Hits above, in front and behind you. This move is absolute top notch! Use it to rack up damage, finish off enemies trying to get back on stage, and much more. It works just about everywhere.

Down Air: Ganondorf switches the hand shocker to his feet and kicks downward. This move is death’s scythe. If you’re hit while you’re off the stage, you’re done for. This move doesn’t care about your percentage. You just die. Spike. From 0% and up. But that’s not it yet. It will also kill you on about 80% ON THE GROUND. This is the strongest and best spike in the game. No contest. Use it and stomp some a**! If you want to use it on the ground to rack up damage or finish, keep this in mind. If you jump and use it, you will have to wait out the afterlag of the attack once you touch the ground. Instead, jump and do the move using the c-stick. If used correctly, Ganondorf will jump just about high enough for the move to finish in the air, thus you can start moving instantly once you touch the ground.

Neutral Special: Warlock punch. This is the strongest move in the game. It kills from 30% on. It’s slow, but slow and steady wins the race, and this move is more than just steady. Now, if this isn’t enough pwnage to you, try reversing it. Break shields, steal KOs, piss off your friends and cause some havoc.There isn’t much more to say about his move. It’s basically a free kill if your enemy gets stunned, falls asleep or is stuck in a pitfall.

Side Special: This move inherits ganondorf’s might. He rushes forward. If you’re in his way, he’ll grab your head, lift you up and blast you into the ground with an explosion of dark power. But it gets even better. If he grabs you in the air, he’ll get a hold of your neck and just ram your goddamn head into the soil. This does more damage than the ground version, but there’s more. If you’re getting back to the stage and the enemy is waiting for you at the edge.. use it. You’ll grab the enemy and take him to death. You’ll go along with him, but eh. Note: Both you and your enemy die at the exact same time, means there will be a sudden death match if both had only one stock left. You can also follow up with a lot of attacks after successfully hitting your enemy with the ground version. The best would be to use an up smash right after the attack.

Up Special: Dark dive. Ganondorf flies upwards doing a little spin. If you get near him, he’ll grab you, flow your body with electricity and then push you off. Also, on the end of the move ganondorf will do a swift jab doing little damage and knockback, but it might just keep you from being hit after the main attack failed, or if you’re really awesome, you’ll get the smash ball with this.

Down Special: Ganondorf envelopes his leg with dark power and rushes forward. Good range, good knockback. Useful for sudden death. This move has INSANE priority. It breaks most projectiles and any weak melee attack. The knockback can KO enemies on high percent.

Dash Attack: This is your surprise move. It has great knockback, do use it if your enemy won’t come close enough for other moves or is too nimble for your air moves to hit. Can KO enemies on high percent.

Grabs: All of ganondorf’s grabs have the expected high damage and knockback. Use throws in combination with the up and forward air.

Final Smash: Behold the power of the great king of evil. This move will freeze the bricks you shat in your pants after lasting so long against ganondorf. He transforms into his huge, ugly and insanely powerful beast pig ganon form. Anything near him at the time of transformation is knocked into the ground, left unable to move. Ganon will then whack the ground, stunning the remaining people, then do an insane rush across the entire stage, obliterating everything in his way. If you think it’s too easy to avoid, perform a side special on your enemy and press B as soon as you can. Your enemy will get stunned, buried, and hit by the main attack. If you can pull this off, it’s an instant KO on any percentage, on any character. All that makes this one of the strongest Final smashes in the game, if not the very best.

Attributes: Ganondorf has a lot of slow moves, slow running speed and bad jump. Hhe’s a very heavy character, and his power is beyond any other character in the game.

Hints and Stuff: Run.
Oh wait, I’m supposed to give hints to ganondorf PLAYERS, right?
Here’s a little hint to cheat past Ganondorf’s weak jumps. Grab the ledge and press up, Ganondorf will jump back on the stage with moderate height. And you can still use the midair jump after that. Ganondorf is not an easy character to play as. Unexperienced players will easily be beaten by faster characters. A good ganondorf player uses his fast and mid-speed moves a lot and places his strong moves accurately. Ganondorf will smite everyone who dares bring light to his lair!!

Ice Climbers
[Insert future content here]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Ike
Some might say that there’s no need for a char guide for Ike. That’s kind of true, Ike is probably the easiest character to have success with. You may get by online with just forward smash and neutral A, but there’s more to Ike than just that. His moves are all very powerful and have good range, and here I’ll tell you how to make better use of them than most people do.

Neutral A: This is important. Ike quickly punches in front of him, then kicks and lets his sword crash down. The sword has some knockback to it, just about enough to push enemies away. Use this whenever enemies get too close to you. You can also just pull off the jab and the kick, and replace the third hit with an up tilt or even a smash.

Side Tilt: Ike does a horizontal strike with his big-a** sword. Great range, a full 15% damage, good knockback. It comes out a bit slow, and it’s got a big afterlag. Still, this is great as a finisher if the forward smash is too slow for you.

Up Tilt: Ike quickly jumps upwards and draws the sword after him. Comes out fast, has less afterlag than side tilt. Good to get your enemy in place for a follow-up attack, spike, or up special.

Down Tilt: Ike hits the ground in front of him. If Ike hits somebody in the air, he spikes ( thanks hundoomed ). If your enemy is very close to the ledge, do the first two A attacks, then replace the sword swing with this for spike ownage.

Side Smash: Ike lifts his sword, pulls it down and shatters reality. Yeah, yeah. You probably know it. This move has great range and insane knockback, it hits above, in front and even a weeny bit behind you. This is your finisher. Use it as soon as your enemy gets in the 60-80%s, depending on his weight. DO NOT spam it. If you use it too much, every slightly experienced player will get behind your pattern and kick your a**.

Up Smash: Ike swings his sword above him. Hits in front, above, and the back. About the same speed and lag as the forward smash. You can dash and C-Stick for a massive increase in range, which makes this move awesome.

Down Smash: Ike kneels down, swords the ground in front of him, then the back. Comes out faster than the forward smash and may be useful for finishing on high percent, though I prefer the forward tilt for that duty.

Neutral Air: Ike swings his sword and hits what’s near him. Kinda weak knockback and damage, just use the forward air.

Forward Air: Ike lifts his sword up and hits everything in front and a bit above and under him. Good knockback and good damage, a tad slower than neutral air. The range is awesome, making this move great to hit enemies trying to get back to the stage or just to jump and hit enemies on the ground.

Back Air: Ike quickly slashes behind him. This move is fast and has great knockback. The weak range makes it seem hard to hit enemies with, but try using it on the ground. Run towards your enemy, turn around, to a backwards jump and to this move. This may sound incredibly complicated, but you’ll get used to it after a while and it’s really useful.

Up Air: Ike slashes the air above him. Pretty slow, but strong vertical knockback. Can be used as a finisher.

Down Air: Ike swings his sword downwards. Strong spike, however the enemy will be launched upwards if it connects too near to the sword’s handle. You won’t be focussing on spiking much thanks to Ike’s strong ground attacks, but it’s still good to know.

Neutral Special: Eruption. Ike charges up and jams his sword into the ground, causing fire to spread to all sites and launch enemies up in the air. You can charge it up by holding B to make it stronger. The maximum damage is 38% and the knockback is plain madness, however Ike will take 10% recoil damage. It has a VERY short super armor period, that is when you release B and Ike is about to thrust the sword down. Can be useful. If you charge this move up, the enemy will either stay away or get close and try to hit you. If latter is the case, release it as soon as you see the attack coming, and the super armor will block it.

Side Special: Quick Draw. Ike does a stance and charges up. He will rush forward as soon as you release B, the longer you held it the further the distance. If he collides with someone during that dash, he will do a side-tilt-ish slash. 16% damage full-charged, knockback is average. Still, this move is great to close up on an enemy quickly. It’s also a better horizontal recovery than the up special.

Up Special: Aether!! It’s Ike’s signature move. He throws his sword upwards, jumps after it and plunges down. This move has 2 significant uses. First, great vertical recovery. Second.. The super armor. Ike will not flinch during the phase where he throws his sword. It’s hard to get the timing right, but I’ve managed to block off marth’s final smash with this (though he owned me after because I took the 60% damage anyways). Oh, and there’s one more thing. You can use it after launching an enemy in the air for some extra damage. The spinning sword does some damage but no knockback, as soon as Ike grabs it enemies will be pushed down.

Down Special: Counter. Ike goes in his stance, and after a short period he will be invincible to all attacks except grabs and final smashes and repel them at a 1.4 rate (not confirmed, somebody knows?). It’s been weakened from melee since it doesn’t instantly work after you activate it. Which is good, since it basically got rid of all the annoying counter spammers. Learn the timing and use it against charged attacks instead of evading or blocking them.

Dash Attack: Ike slides, then thrusts his sword forward. Very, very good range, decent knockback. Use it to close in on an enemy fast.

Grabs: Ike’s grabs are much stronger than marth’s. They’ve got some knockback, too. Use the up-throw and link an aerial attack or up special into it.

Final Smash: Great Aether. Among the most badass moves in the game. Ike swings his sword, and whoever is hit will be taken to the top of the stage. Ike will then slash and kick his enemies a few times causing high damage, then finishes by knocking them all down and exploding his sword on the ground. The explosion has high knockback and range, so it might aswell hit players that weren’t caught in the final smash.

Attributes: Ike’s running speed is below average, his jumps are also a bit in the lower region. He’s a moderately heavy character.

Hints and Stuff: Again, don’t make a fool out of yourself by just spamming the forward smash. Use his aerials and try finishing with tilts if your enemy is on high percent.
Oh, and most importantly. Always fight for your friends!

Ivysaur

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Jigglypuff (made by Otawara, all credit goes to him)
He’s pink, He’s round, He’s cute, and he’s not Kirby! Its….Jigglypuff! The cutest fighter of the Smash universe is back in the third installment of the franchise, and better than ever! At first glance, this puff ball doesn’t look like much, but he is a very strong fighter with hidden talent that only the most experienced players will be able to use properly. Jigglypuff has had only a few changes since Melee, those being that his Rest attacked has been toned down, he has a little more range, and is slightly faster.

Neutral A: Jigglypuff jabs once with his left, and once with his right. Its not very strong, but it lays some damage. It can be performed in a fast succession to do good damage on the likes of slow enemies like Bowser.

Side Tilt: Jigglypuff spins around like a ballerina and strikes enemies within a circle around it. Its pretty strong considering it’s a spin.

Up Tilt: Jigglypuff mule kicks upwards, striking anybody behind him. It is hard to land this attack on someone in front of you, but if you’re close enough, you’ll connect.

Down Tilt: Jigglypuff flattens himself against the ground and delivers a power packed kick. It does decent damage and has good knock back for a standard down tilt attack

Side Smash: Jigglypuff and Kirby have been known to share many features. And apparently, they share the same side smash. One strong kick can send away enemies with over 50% damage!

Up Smash: Jigglypuff closes its eyes and head butts, sending enemies skyward! Its very fast to pull off but doesn’t have quite the strength of his Side Smash

Down Smash: Jigglypuff puffs up his feet to deal damage to anyone nearby him. Its not very strong or fast, but its good to use if you’re in a jam.

Neutral Air: A very weak and slow kick. It also has a small hitbox. This attack is only good if desperationh as gotten the best of you.

Forward Air: Jigglypuff delivers a much stronger kick, accompanied with more range as well. Its not a meteor smash, but it can KO enemies who are either very light or extremely damaged.

Back Air: Jigglypuff spins 360 degrees and kicks. It has a small hit box and isn’t particularly strong, so its not recommended for serious Brawling.

Up Air: Jigglypuff waves his arm upwards and smiles at the camera, sending enemies upwards. This is possibly his best aerial attack considering it’s the strongest.

Down Air: Jigglypuff spins his little feet around like a screw driver and hits multiple times. This attack is pretty good for grabbing a Smash Ball and laying some damage on grounded enemies.

Neutral Special: Rollout~ In the Pokemon games, Rollout is a 5 turn rock type attack that deals increasing damage each turn. In Super Smash Bros however, Rollout is an attack with tremendous power that can be used to recover and deal massive damage! If B is only tapped, Jigglypuff will merely spin around, not damaging anyone. B must be help for about 5 seconds to unleash the true potential of Rollout. Rollout can be fatal in the wrong hands however. If it misses, Jigglypuff can fall offstage helplessly. If it hits the side of the stage while trying to recover, Jigglypuff will merely bounce right off and keep spinning.

In other words, Rollout must be used very carefully.

Side Special: Pound~ In Pokemon, Pound is a standard attack with standard damage. But in the Smash universe…Pound is one of the most powerful attacks there is! Pound deals very good damage and can pierce through enemies, making it a great way to stop packing. Pound can be used to recover indefinitely, as long as it is to the side.

Up Special: Sing~ Sing is a non damaging attack in both Pokemon and Super Smash bros. However, by lulling enemies to sleep, Jigglypuff can attack them once without fear of being countered! The more damaged the enemy is, the longer they will remain asleep, giving Jigglypuff time to chase after objects, Smash Balls, heal, and maybe take care of another enemy.

Sadly, Sing cannot be used to recover. However it elevates Jigglypuff slightly at the beginning.

Down Special: Rest~ This is one attack that has surely been changed around a lot. In the Pokemon games, Rest was used to heal damage and sleep for a while. While the latter portion of the attack still remains true, the beginning has changed a lot. We all remember the original SSB, where landing a Rest attack was a definite KO. It has been tuned down throughout the years, leading us to the present.

Rest is still hard as ever to land, but it now deals great damage with good knockback, and if that wasn’t enough, the enemy sprouts a flower on their head for even more damage! The trick for landing this move correctly is jumping over the desired enemy and pressing Down B at the right time. If Jigglypuff is touching someone from above as little bubbles appear from it, Rest has landed!

However, if Rest is used incorrectly and out of synch, it will leave Jigglypuff helplessly asleep for a while, leaving him exposed for a long time.

Dash Attack: Jigglypuff performs a full body tackle. It doesn’t deliver a lot of damage, but it has good knock back.

Grabs:
Neutral~ Jigglypuff slaps the enemy with one hand while grabbing on with the other.

Side Throw~ Jigglypuff inflates himself like a balloon ((Hence the name Balloon Pokemon)) and throws the enemy to the side. Its strong, but very.

Opposite Side Throw~ Jigglypuff throws the enemy over his back for some small damage. It can be slipped out of if perfect timing is used.

Up Throw~ This is definitely Jigglypuff’s strongest throw. Not only does it do pretty good damage, but it also has tremendous toss distance.

Down Throw~ Jigglypuff throws the enemy down and starts flattening them with a Rollout like attack for multiple hits and decent damage.

Final Smash: Puff Up~ Honestly, I as expecting Jigglypuff’s FS to be something more like Peach’s, but we have what we have. Puff up is a very interesting attack that excels in small stages. The attack consists of Jigglypuff inflating to a tremendous size, pushing enemies off the stage and then yelling his name, which somehow deals 10 damage and huge knockback to anyone touching him.

Sadly, This Final Smash is easily dodged in big stages; Jiggglypuff only inflates himself to around the size of Final Destination.

Attributes:
1~ Small Size
2~Powerfull
3~Has multiple jumps
4~Can disable enemies
5~Can deal constant damage
6~Can recover from great distances

Hints and Stuff:
With Jigglypuff, the air is your best friend. Poor Puff is slow on land he is slightly slower than Zelda, so jumping and using Pound or Rollout are the best ways to gain ground. Jgglypuff excels in small and flat stages, his best is Final Destination, because this allows him to be able to strike with Rollout and not worry about terrain obstacles. Use the fact that everyone underestimates Jigglypuff to your advantage as well!

I hope all Jigglypuff ignorants have learned to respect this cute puffball a little after learning about his hidden powers. Have fun using Jigglypuff and happy Smashing!  

Al Torrenz

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm
BRAWL CHARACTER GUIDES K-L

King DeDeDe

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Kirby
My heart jumped in joy when I realized how much he has improved from melee. Behold, for Kirby, world’s favourite pink creampuff has arrived! He is much faster and stronger than before, he has awesome combo potential, and he can make your percentage skyrocket in no time. Behold!

Neutral A: Kirby jabs, jabs again and then starts a very fast barrage of punches. Increased range. It pushes enemies off, but I found this to be useful as edgeguard since the punches are not connected to kirby’s hitbox, thus you might be able to cancel an enemy’s recovery.

Side Tilt: Kirby does a spin-kick forward. Very quick with a little afterlag, ideal to rack up damage.

Up Tilt: Kirby kicks behind him. Hits behind and above. Pretty much no lag at all. Weak damage and weak knockback, but you can use it 2-3 times if your enemy is still on low %. Also useful to place the enemy for follow-ups.

Down Tilt: Kirby kicks the ground. Pretty much the up-tilt expect it hits forward.

Side Smash: Kirby does a side-spin-jump-kick. Good range, faster than in melee. This will be one of your main finishers.

Up Smash: Kirby does a backwards-flip and launches enemies in the air with his feet. Very fast, great to set up aerial combos on low percentage, but also has enough knockback to kill on high percent. Dashing + up on c-stick works.

Down Smash: Kirby spins on the ground, hitting both sides at the same time with his feet. Great if you need some air, but other than that the forward smash seems to make more sense unless you’re looking for a fast finisher on high percent.

Neutral Air: Kirby spins around. Very long and pretty weak attack, I don’t like it.

Forward Air: Kirby kicks forward quickly three times in a row. The last kick deals more damage and has decent knockback. Doesn’t work so well if the enemy is on high percentage. If only Kirby kicked a bit faster it would be much easier to make this connect.

Back Air: Kirby quickly drops his feet backwards. Comes out super-fast with only a little afterlag. Good knockback and damage, can finish on high percent and great to go after your enemy after a tilt or throw.

Up Air: Good damage, good speed, low knockback. Kirby’s ideal combo move. Practice using it, you can rack up damage very quickly by smacking the enemy into air and use a few of these on him.

Down Air: Kirby does a long spin, drilling downwards with his feet. Enemies get stuck in it. It’s not a spike, but enemies are still knocked down a little. It has a knockback-effect if Kirby hits the ground during the attack. Great to use off-stage or to rack up damage.

Neutral Special: Kirby’s unique and awesome technique. He inhales air, allowing him to:
1. Eat items.
2. Gobble up enemies and spit them out, causing damage.
3. Gobble up enemies and swallow them, copying their neutral special.
3. Gobble up enemies, jump off the stage and drag them to death. This is called kirbycide.

The most important one is the copy ability. It’s AWESOME. Anybody annoying you with projectile spamming? Copy it and get them right back in their face. This move also makes Kirby the only falcon punch user other than captain falcon. It’s definitely worth looking into all the moves Kirby can copy, they’ll come in handy against your foes. To give up on your copied ability, do any taunt and Kirby will remove it. Kirby can eat any items thrown at him. Explosives will cause a few percent damage if eaten. By the way, if you eat an explosive and an enemy is near you, he will take the full damage from the explosive while Kirby only takes the few percent!

Side Special: This is the move Kirby is all about. It’s his hammer! On the ground, he does a strong horizontal swing. It does more damage and knock back than Kirby’s FULL CHARGED forward smash! This will kill ANY enemy around 80%. It’s a bit slow and predictable, but you’re not supposed to spam it anyways (yeah, I’m talking to you, queers).
There’s more. If used in the air, Kirby will quickly do two horizontal swings. It comes out faster than the ground version, but it’s also weaker. Still, the first hit does 17% and the second 15%, which is absolutely enough to KO an enemy after an air combo! Here’s an example: Knock your enemy into the air, do a few up or back airs and finish with the hammer. Depending on where it’s used on the stage, it can mean instant KO for your enemy. And if the ground version is too slow for you, jump and do the air version! As mentionned, it’s weaker, but the increase in speed is definitely worh it. Kirby’s hammer has unlimited possibilities. Try it yourself, you’re sure to find a good use for it!

Up Special: Final cutter. Kirby draws his cutter, thrusts upwards slicing the air, then swoops down with the blade extended, releasing a sword wave as he hits the ground. Decent recovery, but seriously, kirby’s midair jumps and floatiness will mostly handle the job. This move can be used for some extra damage if the enemy gets out of your range during an air combo, or just on the ground for a quick 15% damage.

Down Special: Kirby uses his rock ability and turns into something heavy. It can be random things. A spiky ball, a stone, a brick, a 100t weight, even the thwomp from super Mario 64. The damage is rumoured to differ depending on the transformation. After he transforms, Kirby will fall downwards very fast. Anything in his way gets hit hard. As long as in his heavy object form, Kirby cannot be damaged, with the expection of grabs and the similar. There’s a limit to how long he can stay in that form, he will transform back after a short while. He is left open to attack during transformation. If you want to transform back earlier, press B.

Dash Attack: Way better than in melee. Kirby does a breakdance-like dash with his feet spinning in the air. Enemies will get stuck in the attack; the last blow has knockback to it. This also has combo potential. Jump right after your enemies!

Grabs: Improved. Remember the forward and backward throws from melee? Yeah, enemies would easily break free DURING the throw unless they’re on high percentage. Well, no more! His throws are fully functional, he still has the badass up throw and the iStompUrFaec down throw, which does most damage out of the four. Oh, and at this point I will also be sharing a little combo I’ve developed myself (hope nobody did before). It is to demonstrate how flexible you can be with your combos. It ONLY works if your enemy is on VERY LOW (5% or less) percent, and even then it doesn’t work on some very light characters. What you do is grab your enemy, perform the forward throw, and as soon as you regain control, do an up air with the C-stick. If everything went right so far, your enemy should still be right in front of you, stunned but not knocked away by the up air. Now you do a down tilt and follow right up with a side smash (c-stick!). Shazam! 41% of damage. This is the most simple version. If you want to go for more, try replacing the forward smash with a jump + side B, which is slower and harder to do but adds damage and knockback, or you can replace the down tilt with a side tilt which also adds some more damage. And if you’re real hardcore, you will grab, forward throw, up tilt, down tilt, side tilt and finish with the side smash for a full 46% of damage. Bolly! This is just one of the great combos Kirby can pull off. Start Training Mode and figure out your own!

Final Smash: Kirby transforms into cook Kirby. He claps with his pans, pulling all enemies and items in vicinity into his big pot of doom. Kirby will then boil the enemies a little, and to top it off he blasts them out of it with good knockback, along with creating food and lots of stuff. Since everybody else got launched away, you’ll hopefully be the first to pick it up. Little side note.. the moment where you get dragged into the pot can be evaded by rolling/sidestepping, but the timing is hard. Just make sure your enemy isn’t anywhere near a ledge he could grab when you activate it.

Attributes: Kirby is faster than he was in melee. He’s still lightweight, he has five mid-air jumps with take the biggest job on recovering. He falls pretty slowly and predictable, so crash down with a final cutter or a down-B if you want.

Hints and Stuff: Jump after your enemies! Kirby's multiple mid-air jumps and quick air moves make it easy to land great combos. As you transform back from your stone form, you’ll be a weeny bit in mid-air. Use the hammer! The first swing will be pulled off, and any enemy in vicinity will regret closing up to you thinking you’re left open after transforming. And here’s a little trick of you want to use the hammer but you think it’s too hard to hit enemies with it. Use the down tilt. Even on high percent, the knockback will be very very low, and there is a chance that it will make your enemy trip. Train your reflexes. If the enemy doesn’t trip, try again. If he does, rush right in and hammer him to the stars! Kirby improved massively from melee! Go show it to everyone!!

Link

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Lucario
Lucario seems to have replaced mewtwo from melee. I’m not so fond of it since Lucario looks kinda stupid and he’s got goku’s voice.
Anyways, Lucario is a very special character. Lucario uses his aura, his life force, to attack. His moves may seem weak at first, but their power increases as lucario’s percentage increases as well. I will refer to it as aura in the move explanations. Don’t think you’ve won just because Lucario is at 180%, that’s when he’s most dangerous! Let’s take a look at his moves.

Neutral A: Lucario jabs, then steps forward while punching, then kicks. The kick has some knockback to it, enough to KO enemies on high percentage, depending on how high lucario’s aura is.

Side Tilt: Lucario swings his arm forward. Hits two times, average knockback.

Up Tilt: Lucario does a rainbow kick. Hits in front, above and behind. Good range, good speed, decent damage, low knockback. Since the knockback is low, you can use it multiple times in a row since your enemy won’t be launched out of it’s range.

Down Tilt: Lucario does a low kick. Pretty average move, use it out of ducking.

Side Smash: This is lucario’s strongest move, yet you won’t use it a whole lot to KO enemies. I’ll explain why later. It’s slow, but it has good range and good knockback.

Up Smash: This move kinda sucks. It’s kinda slow, kinda weak, and it only hits above you.

Down Smash: Lucario releases aura to both sides. Very nice move. It comes out pretty fast, it has good knockback and it hits both sides.

Neutral Air: Lucario releases aura from his hands and does a slow spin. This is a long move. It does average damage and knockback and comes out very fast, though it has some afterlag. Hits in front and behind.

Forward Air: You’ll be using this one A LOT. Lucario does a swift kick. Low damage, low knockback, awesome speed. It has pretty much no lag at all, making it the perfect combo move. This is the most important move to start any aerial combos. Try it out of throwing, or just jump and use it instead of a ground attack.

Back Air: Lucario releases aura behind him with his arm. It’s slower than the neutral air, but does more knockback.

Up Air: Basically the forward air, but upwards. Does a little more damage.

Down Air: Lucario steps below him two times. Hits in front, behind and below. This will be your finisher for aerial combos. The first hit is weak and does practically no knockback, the second does good damage and high knockback. This move is also very fast, and it has one more gimmick: Lucario will float during this move, so it’s easier to get back on the stage after using it.

Neutral Special: The aura sphere. Lucario charges up a ball of aura in his hands. The longer you charge it, the larger and stronger it gets, along with increasing it’s range. You can stop charging by pressing to either side, lucario will then do a roll in that direction. You can resume charging after. If you get hit while charging however, the charge will be cancelled and you have to start over. By the way, the energy ball can do some damage to enemies that come too close while charging. Use this to KO an enemy trying to get back to the stage. Just watch out it doesn’t get reflected, it’s a pain in the a** to get hit by your own strong projectiles.

Side Special: Force Palm. Lucario spins his arm, then releases aura. It has some range and some knockback, but if you’re close to your enemy while doing this, Lucario will grab him and connect with the aura directly, resulting in more damage and better knockback. It’s stronger on the ground than in the air.

Up Special: Extreme Speed. Lucario flies in the direction you point to. Nice recovery, It can be used in any direction and it can be steered while flying, too. Bad side, it does no damage or knockback in any way.

Down Special: Double team. This move will help you a lot. Lucario does a weird stance followed by some flashy visuals and swooshy sounds. It works sort of like counter, except that it works instantly after you use it and has afterlag instead. If lucario is hit by anything while he’s flashing, he will vanish, then reappear behind the enemyand rush in with his legs, causing knockback fairly enough to kill an enemy on high percentage. But that’s not all. You can make lucario reappear from the front, causing less damage but increasing the combo potential. Here’s a nice video tutorial on how to do it.

Dash Attack: Lucario jump-kicks. Good to get enemies in place for follow-up attacks.

Grabs: Use them to stat aerial combos. The down throw seems to work best. Jump after your enemy, use the forward air a few times and finish with a down air!

Final Smash: Aura Storm. Lucario jumps upwards, then reappears in the back of the stage. After a short interval he will fire an enormous aura LAZER. It goes on for a while, can be steered right and left, gets enemies caught if you hit them and then concludes with a last strong blast sending enemies flying. A few characters can dodge this easily, though. Pit with his insanely broken recovery will simply go float above the beam, and moves like fox’s side B will take you from one ledge to the other very quickly. Or you can just run if you’re sonic. However, if a character like snake or pit gets directly above lucario, the final blast will still hit them.

Attributes: Lucario is medium weight, has average speed, high jumps, probably the best wall jumps in the game, he can crawl and wall cling, too.

Hints and Stuff: Lucario can be a pain in the a** if you can’t ridden of him fast enough as soon as he’s on high percentage. Lucario’s wall jump and wall cling abilities are perfect for mind games. You can go under final destination and much more. Try it out sometime.

Lucas

Luigi
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:17 pm
BRAWL CHARACTER GUIDES M-O

Mario

Marth

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Meta Knight
Yahoo, time to do Meta Knight! I’ve loved this badass little guy ever since watching the original Kirby anime, hence my massive enthusiasm when he was confirmed for brawl but also my massive disappointment as soon as I noticed they removed HIS FRIKKIN ORIGINAL ANIME VOICE AND REPLACED IT WITH THE ONE FROM SOME BOUNCER STANDING IN FRONT OF SOME CLUB WAVING OFF UGLY PEOPLE.
*phew* GOSH.
Seriously, he was badass just the way he was. I mean, how many blue blobs get to wear dimensional capes, custom-made body-covering masks, iron boots, arm-replacing gloves and a spiky golden sword moving at mach speed? Yup, none but him.
Yeah, sorry. I’m done. I’ll start the guide then, I guess.
Let’s get some straight facts to begin with. Meta Knight is everything but balanced. His attacks are 90% lag-free, thus extremely fast but also a bit weak, thus he’s a bit short on finishers. His recovery is the second to best in the game (pit, duh) thanks to his five air jumps, gliding and special moves which can ALL be used as a great recovery. They’ll be exlained in detail below. I’ll be referring to Meta Knight as MK from now on because I’m a lazy b*****d.

Neutral A: MK furiously slashes around him. Low damage unless you can get enemies stuck in it for a short period, hits both sides (more on the front though).

Side Tilt: I’m a huge fan of this move. You can use it three times in a row rapidly to do a combo. MK will deal two horizontal slashes, then launch the enemy upwards with the last one. Very fast and easy to connect all hits with, also great combo potential thanks to Meta Knight’s great aerials (though there’s a small lag after the last hit).

Up Tilt: MK does a spin-stab upwards. A bit stronger than the down tilt, good to get the enemy in place for combos, but it also has KO potential greater than the Up Smash if you connect at the tip of the sword.

Down Tilt: MK quickly stabs in front of him. Will launch enemies upwards slightly, perfect to follow-up with a side tilt or a smash attack.

Side Smash: MK pulls his sword back, then does a strong horizontal smash. This is MK’s strongest and slowest move. I prefer other finishers though since this move is just too slow for MK standards. Still, who knows, you may sneak in a lucky hit.

Up Smash: MK swiftly slashes the air three times. The knockback isn’t really fit to KO enemies unless on very high percent. The good thing about this move is the way it works out of dashing. MK will slide a fairly good distance, thus making it great to use right after knocking the enemy away from you. Here’s a straight example of what I mean: Use the down grab and follow with a sliding up-smash right away. Great to rack up damage!

Down Smash: MK slashes in front, then behind. This is my second-to-favorite finisher. It’s very fast and the knockback is almost equivalent to the forward smash. It hits the front and the back, the back slash is a little stronger.

Neutral Air: MK does a quick vertical spin. Can connect two times, the first hit deals more knockback. Another finisher. It’s weaker than the down smash, but the fact that you can use it in the air evens that out. Best to use as an aerial combo finisher when you’re already close or even beyond the stage’s ledge.

Forward Air: MK slashes the air three times with insane speed. Last hit deals knockback. The knockback is low, so it’s easy to hit enemies with multiple times before finishing with a neutral air. You can use this move pretty much anytime you want.

Back Air: The forward air, backwards. I couldn’t find a difference really, but tell me if you do.

Up Air: MK slashes upwards. Possibly the fastest move in the game. It’s so fast you can hit enemies on low percent like four times in a row with it. Plus it’s very hard to avoid getting hit by it. Works great as a damager to finish with a up special.

Down Air: The up air, but slower and a tad stronger. Doesn’t spike, however the knockback is sort of horizontal and a little downwards, making it hard for enemies to recover.

Neutral Special: Mach tornado. MK spins around, dragging in all enemies in his range. Hitting B will extend the attack period and also lift MK up in the air. This move will do minor knockback just as MK stops spinning. Awesome horizontal recovery, though I prefer gliding since you can still move after it. My favourite way to use this move is to block off attacks. It’s priority is just so incredibly high, it can cancel most projectiles and even some smash attacks. It’s almost impossible for enemies to avoid, and there’s almost nothing more annoying than an enemy spamming this move online. Not only because there’s almost nothing you can do about it, but it won’t KO you either, thus annoying you until your enemy (in this case, a f**) decides to stop.

Side Special: MK spins and dashes forward. Similar to the mach tornado it gets enemies stuck in the attack while dealing minor knockback just as it ends. You can steer it up or down, if you decide to steer it up it’s actually a better vertical recovery than the up special. Other than that however I don’t find this move very useful.

Up Special: MK does a loop, then engages in a glide (even if you already used up your mid-air glide). Good vertical and awesome horizontal recovery. But the best thing about this move is the fact that it’s got good range, is super fast and super strong. It’s my main finisher, just try it yourself. Don’t use it off-stage though since you might not make it back in helpless-falling-mode. There’s one more fancy thing about this move, and that is the glide attack. Press A while gliding to interrupt and do a slash forwards. This slash is similiarly strong as the neutral air, so even if you missed with the loop, this attack may hit and kill your enemy. Surprise surprise!!

Down Special: The dimensional cape. MK disappears and reappears in the direction you tilt the stick to. If you hit A or B while he’s still gone, he will do a strong slash as he reappears. It’s a bit tricky to hit enemies with and is thus an unreliable finisher, but it certainly is one surprise attack. It’s recovery possibilities are very limited, but it can be used to cape right past the enemy waiting on the ledge. Also, if you’re on the stage if you use it in the correct place and you reappear right on the ledge, MK will automatically grab it, making it the only way to grab a ledge from a distance in all of brawl. It’s kinda risky though since you might go to far, plus MK won’t hang on the ledge if you make him attack as he reappears.
I was unsure whether to inform you about this or not. It’s about the infinite dimensional cape. It’s a complicated glitch that, if pulled off correctly, will make MK stay in the invincible invisible animation as long as your finger holds out, thus enabling you to fool your enemies or travel large distances. Now, before you watch the video tutorial, I want you to know this. This move is BANNED from any official tournament, and spamming it online is faggotry as well. Some of you may have noticed me using it online, but if I did I did it for the lulz and not to avoid hammers/final smashes/similar things. Please do NOT abuse it. Here's what it looks like. There’s also a link in the video description to the smashboards (ugh) topic explaining how to pull it off.

Dash Attack: MK slides and knocks enemies in the air. Pretty good reach, great to approach enemies and stuff, but you usually forget about this move.

Grabs: The up-and down throws are the same as kirby’s. I find the down throw most interesting since you can directly link dash attacks or up smashes right after your enemy gets pushed off.

Final Smash: Galaxia darkness. As soon as MK gains the smash ball and you bress B, he will swing his cape. Anyone he touches with it will be slashed and take 40% damage, but also everyone that didn’t get caught in the swing will take 18% (only if the primary swing hit somebody). This move is..just meh. One of the worst final smashes in the game. 40% damage isn’t much for a final smash, and the knockback is just awful. It won’t kill unless your enemy is around 60%. And the knockback done to players not hit by the cape is just utterly useless. Well, you can’t have only good sides, can you..?

Attributes: MK is very light weight and very fast. His jumps aren’t so great, but he can do five of ‘em in mid-air so that makes up for it. He can also glide and duck under a lot of projectiles.

Hints and Stuff: A good Meta Knight player is rarely left open, will try to keep the enemy as busy as possible with a lot of attacks and uses his few finishers with perfect timing. Practice, and come back when you’re ready!

Mr. Game & Watch

Ness
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Ness (made by Otawara, all credit goes to him)
Ah, Ness. I’ve been looking forward to this. Ness has been present in all Smash Bros games and has always been the sole representative of the Mother/Earthbound series. Until Lucas came along at least… Anyways, Ness has stayed pretty much the same throughout his Smash History. His grab range greatly decreased from the original, and his PK Flash has changed since Melee. I’ll explain that last change later under its category.

So have fun reading on the most famous Mother character ever.

Neutral A: Punch, punch, and kick. It’s a very decent combo that has a little more range than normal. This attack is good for close combat, even though Ness is mostly a range fighter.

Side Tilt: A kick so strong Chuck Norris trembles in fear at the mere mention of this attack. Jokes aside, this move has good knock back and strength, it sometimes hits above 10 percent.

Up Tilt: Ness palms upwards with both hands. It’s decent attack that’s perfect for starting aerial combos. Since Ness is very good in the air, using this attack is a must.

Down Tilt: A kick. It looks as if Ness is sliding to home plate. Use it in quick succession to lay lots of damage quick. Use it to tenderize a Sandbag in Home Run Contest.

Side Smash: Ness pulls out his baseball bat and takes a swing with it. It has nowhere near the knock back of a Home Run Bat, but it does more damage. This attack can kill enemies at over 30 damage if fully charged. However, this attack shares similarities with the Home Run bat. The tip of the bat is the strongest. Sadly, this attack has afterlag that leaves Ness open for a while.

Up Smash: Ness pulls out his Yo-yo and charges it. It does weak damage as it charges. After a brief charge, Ness performs an Around the World with his yo-yo. It’s good fore sending enemies upwards, but does not do as much damage nor has the knock back of his baseball bat. This hits in an arc range ‘round him.

Down Smash: Again, Ness’s yo-yo. This time he performs a ‘Walk the Dog’ with it. Again, it does damage as it charges. It hits in around him on the ground. Again its not very strong, but still. The charge is short, so you might as well use it sometimes.

Neutral Air: Ness spins around in the air 360 degrees. This is a good aerial GTFO and it hits pretty strong for a spin. It hits at your sides only and doesn’t drag you with it.

Forward Air: Ness blasts a 3 PSI rings before him. He falls as he does this, so the rings fall with him. They deal multiple hits and electric damage. This attack is great for breaking a smash ball.

Back Air: This is one of Ness’s strongest aerial attacks, coming in a close second with his down air. This attack has a sweet spot just as Ness kicks behind him. If the kick connects as he starts, the enemy takes massive electric damage and is sent soaring away. However if the ending or middle part of the attack, they will only get kicked weakly. Use this to break the Smash ball behind you.

Up Air: Ness headbutts. Its very easily chained for combos in the air. Considering the size of his head, this attack is not as strong as it should be. But nonetheless, its still good.

Down Air: Ness kicks downwards. It’s a good spike that sends enemies plunging to their doom. It has incredibly knockback as it sends enemies down. Its awesome for breaking smash balls.

Neutral Special: PK Flash. Though with an accent like Ness’s it sounds something like ‘PK Slash’. Anyways this attack in Earthbound/Mother was instant death sometimes. It was also hard to land. This attack has been interpreted perfectly. PK Flash moves up from Ness and then crashes down. However, if it comes in contact with the floor it does nothing. In melee, this attack was fully charged by the time it hit the floor. This was sacrificed for easier maneuverability of the attack. Jump before you use this attack, so it will hit perfectly. If not charged completely, it will detonate in the air. Use it to damage a foe directly above you. This attack is an almost instant kill most of the time, and can KO enemies at just above 20 percent. Nice. This attack overtakes Warlock Punch and Falcon Punch any day damage wise and knock back wise. This attack will be your best friend in Boss Battles.

Side Special: PK Fire is probably the most easily spammed attack in the game. Ness wiggles his fingers as he does this, which is probably why it hits so many times whilst Lucas’s hits only once probably because he fires it ‘Hyoduken!’ style. Anyway, this attack is used by most noobs as a GTFO. This attack goes down in the air if used as you fly. The attack hits about ten times before dying off. The technique ‘Hot Foot’ will be explained later, as PK Fire is a key component. This attack is good to use against Duon in bosses mode.

Up Special: PK Thunder 1~ The standard PK Thunder hits only once but is very strong. Use this to pick off an incoming enemy as you’re busy with another. The tail of PK Thunder hurts too, but minimal damage. If an enemy touches Ness as he does this without attacking, they will take some damage. Use it to chase after a Smash ball. Ness’s PK Thunder moves faster than Lucas’s but requires a larger arc to turn.

PK Thunder 2~This attack is catastrophic. Aim PK Thunder at yourself to turn Ness into a living projectile. It hits only once, but it does massive damage and knock back. Use this attack recover. Remember, Ness falls slowly as he does this.

Down Special: PSI Magnet. This attack acts much like Fox’s deflector, but instead, it heals Master Hand’s gun attack, is also absorbed, but not Meta Ridley’s Fireballs…. Hmm… (see if you can spot today’s Mario reference) Anyway, this attack if used near an enemy will cause no damage, but deal some knock back. Odd. PSI sure is a strange thing, ‘aint it? If used in the air, this attack will feather your fall, making you fall lightly.

Dash Attack: Ness puts his hands in front of him, using 3 PSI rings. They pull you along with them dealing pretty good damage. This attack has so little knock back, it leaves the target right before Ness. At high damage however, it is very deadly.

Grabs: Ness’s grabs are pretty strong and fun to look at. My personal favorite is his Down toss, two PK Fires! If you pause as he does his side and up throws, Ness appears to be disco dancing.

Final Smash: PK….. STAR STORM!!!! Ness calls upon massive blue stars to fall upon your enemies in a fan-like pattern. Sadly, this attack is easily dodged. However, if an enemy is caught in one of the attacks, they will be tossed around like a rag doll and die a horrible death. Ness is immune to damage at the beginning of this attack, but towards the end, he becomes normal.

Attributes: Ness is a very good long distance fighter and aerial fighter. Close combat with him is risky considering he is easily kicked around and most of his attacks require range to work properly. However, using the Baseball Bat with Ness will prove worth the risk of getting into close range.

Hints and Stuff: Here’s one of my favorite techniques. Its called ‘Hot Foot.’
Perform PK Fire and engulf your opponent in flames, then simply continue Down A until your enemy escapes the barrage.
Ness excels in flat stages, especially because PK Fire is stopped by stage obstructions as well as PK Thunder and PK Flash. Smashville is a personal favorite since it provides a platform to whack enemies off of with the bat as the jump onto it. It can also provide a safe place to charge PK Flash and pick off enemies with PK Thunder.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Olimar (made by Otawara, all credit goes to him)
Captain Olimar, the sole representative from the endearing Pikmin series makes his debut in Brawl as one of the smaler characters. Now, before I begin, Olimar is definetly unique. Not only is he capable of dealing lots of damage in a matter of seconds, he also the only fighter who is almsot completely reliant on his minions. (pkmn trainer not included)

That being sad, Olimar is a very complex character to use, which has earned him fame of being 'useless' like jigglypuff. In good hands however, Olimar can easily be used for easy victories. At the bottom of this walkthrough there is a guide to the Pikmin. One last thing. Attacks in which Olimar needs the Pikmin to use the attack will be marked in color.

Neutral A: Olimar headbutts twice. It does decent damage considering his small size. It also has no lag time.

Side Tilt: Olimar jumps sideways and extends his legs to kick. It does average damage and the attack has decent knockback as well.

Up Tilt: A small jumps as Olimar spins like a helicopter blade. It does weak damage quickly. Not a first choice for PvP battles, but its great for bosses mode since it delivers plenty of hits.

Down Tilt: A forward headbutt while on the ground for high damage, followed up with a bonk of his antenna. The second hit is very weak but its still good for laying on damage.

Side Smash: Olimar commands the Pikmin in front of the line to launch itself at an opponent. They all cover the same amount of distance, and depending on thePikmin, they will deal different types of damage.

Up Smash: Olimar throws the Pikmin in front of the line in the air. Unlike the side smash, this one does not send them high up and does little damage. I preffer Olimar's standard up A to deal with airborne enemies than this.

Down Smash: Olimar whistles and sends the first and last Pikmin in the line behind him and in front of him. It is pretty much a two directional version of Side Smash because it has pretty much the same power, just a little less range.

Neutral Air: The same thing as Olimars up A, minus the jump. Its less entertaing and since you fall as you do it, I dont like it as much.

Forward Air: Olimar takes a whack at ya with the Pikmin in front of the line. The damage varies, so does thetype of damage. Its a good spike to launch enemies away though.

Back Air: Olimar takes a swing at an enemy behind him with the Pikmin in front of the line. The type of damage varies.

Up Air: Olimar launches a Pikmin up as it performs a series of flips that can inflict massive damage, since the enemy is caught in the attack. Again, they type of damage varies. The last Pikmin in the line is sued for this attack.

Down Air: Olimar swings a Pikmin downwards. Normal damage with small range. A good attack to hit someone bellow you.

Neutral Special: Pikmin Pluck. A very boring move, there is nothing to it. Olimar plucks Pikmin for use in battle. You can carry up to six at a time, and you start with three. Personally, I would not use this move until you have less than two pikmin left. Be careful when you're plucking near ledges, they tend to fall.

Side Special: Pikmin toss. Olimar tosses the Pikmin at the enemy. Most of them do not make them flinch, but they stay and do around 10 damage each if they are not knocked off. Careful though. If you KO an enemy while your Pikmin are still attached, your Pikmin are gone as well. Without Pikmin, Olimar just takes a goofy swing that does no damage.

Up Special: Pikmin Chain. Olimar commands his pikmin into a hcain that he uses to grab onto ledges, a tether recovery, if you will. It ia a very good recovery depending on your amount of Pikmin. Remember, saftey in numbers! However, as an attack, this fails. It sadly pushes you away instead of chaining the attack right through you for massive damage. Sadly it pushes you away at the first hit, which is very weak. If done in the air, Olimar does a little leap as he does this.

Down Special: Olimar does a whistly thingy. Even when there are no Pikmin present, he still does it. If timed correctly, it can be used to avoid many Final smashes like Zelda's, Ike, Marth's, and Kirby's. When Pikmin are present, this attack moves the second one in line to the front and the front to the back.

Dash Attack: Very similar to Diddy Kong's. Olimar performs a cartwheel. It drags you with it and does good damage. Use it when you're on the run and there are enemies in the way, for it has no lag time.

Grabs: All of Olimar's Grabs depend on Pikmin. Personally, I think none of them are very good. Avoid using them.

Final Smash: Day's End. In both Pikmin games at the end of the day, Olimar flies off into the atmosphere to avoid the bulborbs on the planet's surface at night. Any Pikmin left behind is devoured. In Brawl, Olimar summons his ship and jumps in, flying off into the starry sky. As he does so, Bulborbs feast on players left behind, doing up to 40 damage. Note that this Final Smash cannot be avoided at all unless you have a starman or died recently. After a few moments of munching, Olimar comes crashing down on the Dolphin, which explodes vioently. Anyone caught near the explosion takes up to 30 damage and flies off with high knock back. If you want to cause extra damage, summon the Dolphin directly above an enemy. This sticks them to the floor and and does about 10 damage.

A key component to survive this smash is to remember you do not flinch while the bulborbs attack you. Use the small amount of time you have to get away from where Olimar took off because he's going to land there. He also vulnerable when he lands, because he is very floaty and will be caught in the air for a while.

Attributes: Olimar is a small character, which enables him to dodge most projectiles. He is also very nimble and has very good range thanks to the Pikmin. His recovery is great, but without Pikmin he is very easy to kill. Olimar is also very floaty, so be careful out there! Also considering his size, he packs a nasty punch.

Hints and Stuff: Safety in Numbers! Always remember this rule for Olimar. Without the Pikmin he has short range and cannot recover.

PIKMIN GUIDE
Red Pikmin
Type of Damage~Fire
Immune to~Fire
Throw Range~Medium

Yellow Pikmin
Type of Damage~Electric
Immune to~Electricity
Throw Range~Medium, but fly slightly higher

Blue Pikmin
Type of Damage~Ice
Immune to~ Ice
Throw Range~Far

White Pikmin
Type of Damage~Dark
Immune to~Dark, Flower
Throw Range~Very far

Purple Pikmin
Type of Damage~Physical
Immune to~None, but has higer endurance than the other Pikmin
Throw Range~Short
Note~ Purple Pikmin will not latch onto an enemy when thrown, but instead will launch them away. Also, when used in aerial attacks (besides up a air) they wil cause more damage and have more knock back.

As you can see, Olimar is a very unique character who excels in the air. Well you can expect no other from such an awesome spaceman as him.
As long as Olimar has his Pikmin in tow, he is safe.  

Al Torrenz

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:18 pm
BRAWL CHARACTER GUIDES P-S

Peach

Pit

Pikachu

R.O.B

Samus

Sheik

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Snake
Snake is without doubt among the most complicated characters in all of brawl. Most of his moves require some strategy to pull off correctly. He can be a fun character to play as, and if you can handle him you can really mess with your enemies. Snake got some really strong moves. He may seem slow, but they actually come out rather fast. Snake is gifted in both close combat and projectiles, making him a well-balanced out character. Again, that is, if you can handle him. I made this guide for the people that want to start playing Snake, but also those that already got into him (not literally) but would like some more advice. I will explain more than just one way to use Snake, it’s up to you which you’ll go for. CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY.

Neutral A: Snake punches twice, then does a roundhouse kick. Very fast, and the kick has the knockback able of KOing enemies past 120%.

Side Tilt: Snake uses his knee to attack. Low damage and virtually no knockback, but the trick is to press A right again. Snake will swing down his arms, causing damage and knockback. The knockback is about the same as the Neutral A kick, but if both the knee and the arm swing connect, that’ll be a quick 20% damage! Yeah, it’s frickin awesome. Use it, but don’t spam it.

Up Tilt: Snake kicks above him. Comes out fast and does surprisingly high knockback. The range is far greater than you may think, thus making this move fit in any situation. It also deals a great percentage of damage, so if your enemy is on low percent kick him into the air and follow up with a Neutral Air (explained below) for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Down Tilt: Snake does a leg sweep. Kinda boring, just use the up tilt.

Side Smash: Snake takes out his awesome rocket launcher AND… Blasts it into the ground right in front of him..? What the hell?!? This may be awkward, but it’s still a great move. It hits in front and a little behind, does good damage and awesome knockback and is thus Snake’s strongest move. By far. Yes, it’s kinda slow, but it’s an awesome finisher and it will KO enemies around 80%.

Up Smash: Snake pulls out a moerser from somewhere (>_>), places it on the ground and fires an explosive which will detonate on contact with enemies or just fall down as it’s momentum runs out. This move does a little knockback right when Snake places the moerser, and if you get the timing well he’ll fly right into the explosive that will be fired after. The knockback and damage from the explosion isn’t so great, but thanks to it’s range it’s easy to KO enemies far above you. That is because unlike all other smash attacks, charging this one up will not make it stronger, but increase it’s range. A full charge goes very, very high and it may just KO a clueless enemy dropping down from your last attack. There is also a very interesting way to use this move, called Snakedash. I will explain it further in the dash attack description.

Down Smash: Snake takes out a land mine and places it onto the ground. Charging it will make Snake dig it deeper, thus increasing it’s power. (somehow..) The knockback isn’t too bad, it should KO enemies in the late 100%s. If Snake is hit by something while he’s still placing the mine, the move will be cancelled and the mine thus not placed. Mines will disappear if you place a second one somewhere, or just after an amount of time. Keep in mind that mines are detonated by ANYTHING. Items, enemies, stage influence, and even yourself. Place it carefully; near a ledge seems to be a famous spot.

Neutral Air: Snake rapidly kicks the air four times. The first three kicks will trap your enemy, the last one will deal major damage and good knockback. It may seem hard to connect them all, and using it right after jumping off the ground will only execute 2 or 3 kicks before Snake touches the ground.. That is, if you use the analog stick to jump. Try using the Y or X keys on your GC controller, even if just for this one move. Hold it down and press A just as the jump initiates. Snake will execute all four kicks, and if there ideally is somebody in front of you, it will result in a total of 29% damage! Another great move to rack up damage, but also finish off enemies around 100%.

Forward Air: Snake does a high-axe kick. It’s slow, but also a powerful spike. If, however, it connects just as Snake’s leg starts falling down, it will kick the enemy vertically instead. Due to it’s low speed it may seem like a bad idea to actually use it outside the ledges, but Snake’s great recovery will ensure a save return in most cases, so don’t hesitate to jump right out and spike your enemy!

Back Air: Snake does a backwards-drop kick. Comes out fast, with a maximum of 16% damage and good knockback. Great to finish enemies in the air without having to get too far away from the stage. This is also Snake’s fastest aerial.

Up Air: Basically the back air but upwards and a little slower. Use Snake’s recovery to get far up in the air and finish your enemy with this move.

Down Air: Snake stomps the air four times in a row. Similar to the neutral air, but it’s a bit harder to make all hits connect. The last kick does even more knockback than the one in the neutral air, so it’s definitely worth a try.

Neutral Special: The grenade. This is one of Snake’s key moves. Snake pulls out a grenade and tosses it forwards. You can delay the throw by holding B down and even walk around or roll (which will drop the grenade though) while holding it. Tilting forward before the throw will increase it’s range, while tilting backwards will make Snake just throw it into the air right in front of him. Grenades will explode on impact / shortly after Snake pulls out the pin. Snake can only throw two grenades at once, after that you’ll have to wait for one to explode before you can use the next one. It’s never really wrong to use a grenade. You can roll while holding it to drop it on the ground, thus acting as a trap. Very useful, especially if you do it just as your enemy charges at you. You will evade the attack with the roll, while your enemy will hit the grenade and make it explode in his face. Grenades that hit enemies before exploding will do a few percent damage, but not make the enemy flinch, while the explosion will do 11-12% and KO enemies around 130% (which is darn good for such a small projectile). It’s never really wrong to use grenades, be it to rack up damage, get enemies in place for aerial attacks or just annoying them. There’s just too many strategical uses, you’re bound to find one to fit your style.

Side Special: Snake fires a RCM. As it’s name may give away, you remotely control it. It slows down if you change the angle, but if it goes straight it will speed up and thus increase the damage it does on contact with the enemy. It will run out of “fuel” after a while and drop down, or you can just cancel the move by pressing R to make it drop down. Try dropping it on an enemy! Pay attention though, as snake is unable of moving while controlling the missile.

Up Special: The Cypher. Snake clings onto it and propels into the air. Great vertical distance, and you can even still attack after it. As soon as snake lets go of the cypher it will fly off, doing a little damage to what it touches. All in all a great recovery move.

Down Special: C4. Snake quickly drops a packet of C4 explosives. Once it is placed, you can press down and B again. Snake will then take out a device and explode the C4. It does 17% damage and fairly good knockback that should kill around 100%, making it a great move. Drop it down from the air while falling and explode it as it’s still dropping towards your enemy, or place it somewhere and wait for your enemy not to pay attention to where he’s standing. If you place it in immediate vicinity of someone, Snake will attach the C4 to him. Great, since your enemy can barely do anything but wait for you to explode it in his face. It also works similar to a gooey bomb, if you touch a player with a C4 pack it will be passed on. C4 packs will explode by themselfes if ignored for a long enough time. There’s one more, very useful aspect of this move. If you cannot make it back to the stage just with the cypher, drop a C4 and explode it right away. Snake will be knocked back and able of using the cypher again. You can do this as many times as you want, but remember that Snake takes damage and might even be KOed by his own move.

Dash Attack: Snake jumps, does a barrel roll and then enhances in ground-crawl mode. Great range. Enemies hit by the jump will be knocked into the air. But that’s not the real reason to use this move. It’s the snakedash. If you do an up-smash just as the dash attack begins, snake will do the up-smash instead and slide across half the stage with superspeed. It’s extremely hard to do without slowdown (try it in training mode), I was only able to recreate it a few times in real battles. Here’s how to do it: Run, then press down the C-stick to do the dash attack, and instantly after tilt it up and press Z at the same time. Sounds complicated and difficult, and it IS. There’s a much easier way though. Do the dash attack, and make sure you hit the enemy in the first few frames. You HAVE to hit the enemy to do this. Snake will be stunned in the air for a fragment of a second just as the dash attack hits. Now it’s the time to press up on the C-Stick. Snake will do the Snakedash. The optimal result would be the enemy knocked into the air by your dash attack and then finished by the Up Smash. This is extremely useful if done properly, and it’s definitely worth practicing for it. Here’s a video demonstrating it: Snakedash (simplified)

Grabs: They’re all pretty average. Useful to hold enemies in place after using the up-smash or down-smash. I prefer the up throw because it looks awesome and does the most damage. Oh, and you can snap your enemy's neck by pressing A while he's in your grab. Looks awesome if used to finish enemies off in stamina matches.

Final Smash: The grenade launcher. Snake calls for a helicopter, jumps and clings to the ladder. He will then float in front of the screen and take out his grenade launcher. It’s pretty simple. You control the reticule and shoot off grenades at your enemies. It’s tricky to hit swift enemies on the ground, so make sure you land every hit once they’re in the air. You can fire up to 12 grenades. They come in two clips, the reload is kinda annoying if you were about to KO an enemy. There’s also a time limit, so don’t hesitate to use all your ammo. This final smash is better in multiplayer battles than one-on-one since it’s less predictable who you’re gonna attack, thus you’ll score more hits.

Attributes: Snake is heavy, his speed and jump is a bit below average (though the air jump is better than the ground one). He can duck and crawl, which proves useful to duck below enemy projectiles.

Hints and Stuff: There’s some fancy just-for-the-lulz stuff about Snake. For example, he talks when he eats food. Most of the time it’s just “OM NOM” or “TASTY”, but sometimes he’ll say “This is too good” and a few really irrelevant things, too. Then there’s the secret codec calls. Choose Snake and the Shadow moses stage, and start spamming your down taunt. Snake should then do a codec call and talk to someone about your enemy. It’s fun, you should try it on every character. Also, if you get KOed while the codec is still going, there’ll be a little surprise that is sure to draw a nostalgic smile on the face of any MGS lover.
Anyways, a good Snake player knows his moves to the last detail, places his explosives wisely and lacks power not in close combat nor ranged battles.
Snake will use anything on the field of battle. That is the crux of survival.

Squirtle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 pm
BRAWL CHARACTER GUIDES T-Z

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Wario
It’s Wario Time! While not nearly as famous as Mario, Wario had a bunch of top notch games within the Wario Land and Wario Ware series. But now, he joins the brawl to... Well, I don’t know why. Maybe he was promised garlics. Much like Meta Knight, Wario was one of the top anticipations for melee, but among us… A GameCube couldn’t possibly handle Wario in all of his glory and smellyness. Wario’s fighting style is very unique, indeed. More unique than you would think. For example, most of his moves are animated in a mere 2-4 frames, thus a lot of his movements look as if he had a NES for a brain. But even apart from that, Wario is just about the contrary of what you would think… Slow, clumsy, bowser-ish? OBJECTION!! Wario has very fast aerials, his ground moves have excellent combinations of power and speed, and his specials are… more special than others. There’s another very interesting thing about Wario. When jumping, he barely loses any of the speed he had on the ground. That combined with his excellent recovery and fast aerials makes him one of the best aerial fighters around. Wah-Wah-Waah!

Final Smash: Wario eats some garlic, and with a flashy animation, he transforms into the ever-so-epic WarioMan. All of Wario’s movements are boosted for a period of time, and you’ll be completely invincible. It lasts long enough to allow you to KO the same enemy twice or atleast damage him after the first KO. Further explanation to each of WarioMan’s moves and optimal use will be written below the moves in purple.

Neutral A: Wario throws a punch, then an uppercut. The uppercut does vertical knockback. Very fast, may be useful to rack up damage on low levels, but other than that this move isn’t so great.
Same as normal, but faster and stronger.

Side Tilt: Wario spin-charges his arm, then punches forward. You will use this move very rarely. Why? It’s close to useless. Wario’s forward smash comes out FASTER than this. This move has a few pixels more range, but that’s about it.

Up Tilt: Wario hits upwards with his hands. Faster than the forward tilt, and better combo potential since the knockback is vertical. It’s got some afterlag, but it should still be easy to follow up with diverse aerials or repeatedly use it on low percent. The hitbox is around his hands, but it also works on enemies close to you on either side.

Down Tilt: Wario does a low punch forward. Similar speed and power as the Up Tilt, the knockback isn’t as high though. Can hit enemies on the ledge or on the ground, useful to launch enemies in the air for follow-ups on high percent (at this point, the Up Tilt has too much knockback).

Side Smash: Wario rushes forward and rams his enemies. Fans of the Wario Land series will recognize this move. This will be your main finisher for ground business. While the range may not be so great, it’s powerful and faster than the side Tilt, replacing it completely. The hitbox is Wario’s entire body, thus it will also hit enemies right behind you or lying on the ground. Yes, it comes out fast, but it’s got some afterlag, that combined with the mediocre range may make it easy to avoid if you use it too much. There’s another fancy thing about this move. While ramming, Wario is immune to knockback. He still takes damage though. This may not seem too useful, but you can use this against any explosive to make it explode in your face without making you flinch, or if you master your timing you may even block a final smash.
This is one of the finishers you will use as WarioMan. It’s faster and stronger, and while ramming, Wario travels across half the stage. If he hits an enemy in the way, he will stop. Spamming this move will most likely make your enemy jump in the air and out of your reach. Or so they should think.. >8D

Up Smash: Wario does a few spins, hitting foes with his head. Multiple hits, the last one just as the attack ends deals vertical knockback. The knockback isn’t bad and the damage is great if all hits connect, but the range is terrible. To connect optimally you need to be very close to your opponent, or else only a few hits will connect or, in the worst case, the first hits won’t even make the last blow connect. The knockback has KO potential, but you really are better off using the side or down smash.
Same as normal, but faster and stronger. There’s also some gust effect that draws enemies in, but you’re better off using another move.

Down Smash: Wario does a sort of breakdance-spin on the ground, hitting whatever gets too close. It comes out fast, hits both sides and it lasts long. The knockback works as a finisher, though it’s inferior to the forward smash. The speed it comes out with is what makes it good and worth using. Wario is not invincible during the long spinning animation, but hitting him without getting too close is very hard, so you can consider yourself save.

Neutral Air: Wario does a horizontal spin, hitting opponents with his bulky mass. Comes out fast, can connect twice; just as Wario starts spinning and during the rest of the animation. It leaves you immobile for about a second, thus I prefer other aerials over it.
Same as normal, but faster and stronger. Also makes Wario fly.

Forward Air: Wario does a fast kick forward. And by fast, I mean almost lag-free. That combined with the low knockback makes it an ideal move for combos, walling and racking up damage. Use it as a follow up after tilts and throws, or just jump and attack your enemy from the air if you have problems closing in from the ground. You can push off enemies trying to get back on the stage, then savely return with your recovery while your enemy drifts downwards. This has proven very useful to me, and only few characters have recoveries fit to ignore attacks. Practice a lot, learn your enemy’s recovery action depending on the character he’s using and don’t get too far away from the ledge so you won’t suicide.
Same as normal, but faster and stronger. Also makes Wario fly. The optimal move to just push enemies off-stage.

Back Air: Wario hits backwards with his head. It has similar potential as the forward air, but there’s an important difference: The knockback. This move has more afterlag than the forward air, but it comes out just as fast and the knockback/damage is superior. It can KO enemies on high percent. The down air does similar knockback, but this move has greater range. Just don’t forget about this move, it will definitely come in handy.
Same as normal, but faster and stronger. Also makes Wario fly.

Up Air: Wario claps his hands together upwards. It looks a little ridiculous, but it does great damage and the knockback has finisher potential. It doesn’t come out as fast as the other aerials, but the damage definitely makes up for it. It works on low percent to rack up damage super-fast in combination with throws and tilts, but the KOing is the more important part. One of the great things about Wario is his flexibility in the air. Whether you want to damage, finish or just push enemies off, choose the correct move and Wario will handle it. Yeeeah, alriight!!
Same as normal, but ridiculously strong and fast. Makes Wario fly, and has great KO potential.

Down Air: Wario heads down and does a few spins. Similar to the up smash, the spin will get enemies stuck in the attack, and a last hit at the end of the attack will send the enemy flying. However, unlike the up smash, this move is very easy to connect. The hitbox is small, but as mentioned in Wario’s description, he loses almost no speed from the ground after jumping into the air, thus if this move is used out of running and jumping you can travel a moderate distance during the spinning animation, making it easy to get enemies stuck in the spin. The knockback is also good enough to KO enemies on high percent or push them off the stage when they’re trying to recover. Now, this move is fast, easy to connect and does good knockback. And hey, the damage is great, too. Use it out of throws, tilts, dash attacks, to finish combos, whatever. This move always works.
Makes Wario spin straight down. Spikes enemies, high damage. Wario will regain control of himself after a second or so. Don't suicide!

Neutral Special: The Wario bite. Wario opens his mouth to supernatural measures, and whatever gets too close will be munched. You can then press A or B to make Wario om-nom-nom the enemy stuck in his mouth, and after a while he will spit him out with a swing. This move has insane priority. Most any attacks of your enemy will be literally “eaten”, even most recoveries. Sadly, when used in the air, Wario will loose all forward momentum and just fall down. There’s one more aspect of this move, that is when it’s used against items. Wario can eat ANY item except for the smash ball. The smaller it is, the faster it will be gobbled down. Explosives do some damage when eaten, but it’s far inferior than the damage they would do if they hit Wario properly. This way, you can “eat” any items your enemy throws your way, or you can get rid of your bike in a faster way than destroying it. You can just hold B and wait for your enemy to throw the item your way, but that’s unlikely to happen, so remember you got this move and learn to use it with correct timing. There’s another little gimmick about eating explosives. If any enemy gets close to you as you eat an explosive, they will be hit by your inner explosion and take 13% damage, while you only take a few percent yourself.
I haven’t been able to find any differences except the knockback which is still too low. Just use another move.

Side Special: Wario takes out his bike and rides it, hitting obstacles in his way. If it wasn’t for this move, Wario’s recovery would suck. But let’s get to the ground usage at first. You can jump off the bike by pressing A, you can speed up by tilting forward, you can turn around (at a risk of falling down) by tilting into the opposite direction, you can tilt up to do a wheelie and increase the upwards range (you can’t jump off during a wheelie) or you can taunt to make Wario do a bike taunt (you cannot do anything during the taunt). The bike has the ability to take in the damage done to Wario while riding and can thus ignore enemy attacks and just run them over. The knockback and damage is low, but the bike is hard to evade unless your enemy jumps out of it’s reach in time. If you fall off your bike, you can pick it up and throw it with A, you can reclimb it by standing next to it and doing the side special again, or you can break/eat it and bring out a new one. There can only be one of your bikes on the field, and you’ll have to wait a little after each bike you break/eat/throw. If you try to bring out a bike while there’s still a bike of you on the field/you just broke your last one moments ago Wario will look left and right, meaning you’ll have to find the old bike before taking out a new one. The best way to use the bike for offensive is driving, hitting the enemy, and keeping on driving towards the end of the stage. There you jump off, and the bike will fall down the stage by itself and soon be at your disposal again. But this isn’t the best part of the bike. The awesome thing is the recovery potential. If you take out the bike in the air, it will do a short hop as Wario climbs up, then drive (fall) sideways. Enemies can be hit while “driving” in the air similar to the way it works on the ground. As soon as you notice you fall down after the hop, push A. Wario will jump off the bike and fly a considerable distance upwards, and after than you can still do a mid-air jump and attack, or if somehow you didn’t make it back on the stage you can still use the up special. All that makes Wario’s recovery so great you can jump down of final destination and get back up on the other side.
This is my favourite move as WarioMan. The bike accelerates to insane speed from the moment you jump on it, and it does high damage and absolutely insane knockback. It has the potential to KO anyone at very low percent, but also to make you suicide unless you jump off in time… Learn to use it and this move will easily score you lots of KOs.

Up Special: The corkscrew. Wario screws upwards a small distance, then falls straight down, unable to move. “Screw” this move.The bike will handle your recovery 95% of the time without needing to use this move after it, the only way this is in even the slightest useful is for going around final destination. Or maybe you will somehow manage to hit your enemy with this..? I think not.
Useful.. Sorta. It’s the same as before, but it now has a few sweetspots with high vertical knockback. Still, it makes you fall down after, and wasting time is what you don’t want to do as WarioMan.

Down Special: The one, the only, the smelly, it’s the Wario Waft! It’s destructive power was proven even in the earliest of brawl trailers, and recent rumors say a full-charged WarioMan Wario Waft backed up by a few blast boxes overpowers even the most vicious of roundhouse kicks. Well, let’s get to the facts. Wario builds up gas over time, so if you fart right at the beginning of a battle or right after your last fart, it will be no more than a small poot. Still, even that little poot has the potential to make your enemy trip. Too bad Wario scratches his head in shame after it, otherwise you could make use of the opening… Anyways, small farts aren’t the way to go. In fact, I consider them useless until you get the full charge. A full charge takes about 110 seconds to charge up, and once charged Wario will start glowing in a disgusting yellow color. The full-charged Wario Waft, once unleashed, will launch Wario up very high, while doing devastating damage (40%!!) and knockback to anyone around at the time of release. There is no further need to explain. Use it if your enemy gets too close, and they will regret it. Don’t use it too far up in the air, or you will fart yourself to the stars… It may seem like a good idea to fart as soon as possible after you attain the full charge so you can continue charging the next one, but it’s very likely your enemy (especially if you’re brawling a real person) will fight more cautiously as soon as they notice the yellow glow. Go into offense and wait for an opening, a wasted Wario Waft would be a shame. And, you will probably use this very rarely, but it’s definitely good to remember that a Wario Waft can be used for recovery if charged up high enough. Have fun, fart away, and if a match is about to end and you have a spare full charge, fart at the last second for Slowdown’d farting lulz.
Same as normal, but with an insane boost in power. A full-charged WarioWaft from WarioMan is a guaranteed killer, even on 0%. Rock ‘n’ Roll, baby!

Dash Attack: Wario trips and slides on his face to hit enemies. This method of attacking is very questionable in fact. It does some damage and vertical knockback, but the slide doesn’t go very far and there’s some afterlag, making it harder to follow up with attacks. I prefer throws and tilts to set up combos in this case.

Grabs: Wario’s grabs include a lot of swingin’, and they’re overall pretty strong and good to rack up damage. To a punch or two before throwing your enemy off, then follow up with some aerials for optimal results.
Same as normal, but stronger. Don’t waste your time trying to grab enemies.

Attributes: Wario has a little below average running speed, he can crawl (in a ridiculous way), and his jumps are also about average, except for the ground jump which is a bit below.
WarioMan is insanely fast and jumps super-high.

Hints and Stuff: Wario is without doubt one of the most fun characters to control. As mentioned before, Wario is a great aerial fighter. Even if you want to attack an enemy on the ground, you can jump, use a neutral or forward air on your enemy as you fall down and follow right up with a forward smash (no problem thanks to the low hit-the-ground-lag of Wario’s aerials). Learn to use the bike and Wario Waft. Don’t forget you have them when recovering. Keep cool during your Final Smash, practice the moves you’ll want to use during it in Training Mode. Wario isn’t just a fighter, by the way. In fact, if you just want to goof out with your friends online, Wario is just about the best choice (amirite, Cheesio? ;D).
And with this, we come to the end of this guide. Use Wario, stupid.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Wolf O’Donnell
Fox McCloud’s rival back in Starfox 64, he now joins the brawl to kick some a** with his claws and questionable outfit. A lot of people declared OMFG FOX CLONE when he was confirmed, but it’s not that bad actually. The specials have similar looks, but they function completely different. As said, Wolf’s look is questionable. There’s spikes and tight stuff everywhere, and his stance is also sorta awkward.. Anyways, Wolf is a well-balanced character, but that doesn’t mean he is free of weaknesses. Let’s check out his moves for now.

Neutral A: Wolf swings his claws twice, then rushes forward a little as he sets the finishing blow. Last hit deals low knockback. Very fast, you should also try replacing the third hit with a tilt or smash attack. Just get the timing right.

Side Tilt: Wolf swings his claw forward. Connects two times if the enemy is close enough, second hit does some knockback. Fast and good damage, can be used out of a down throw on low percent. The knockback can KO enemies on high percent, but you have other moves to handle that.

Up Tilt: Wolf swiftly kicks upwards. The forward range is a little poor, but it’s almost lag-free and awesome to set up a combo since you can follow up with just about anything. Use it out of grabs, rolls, on the edge or figure out your own combos with it.

Down Tilt: Wolf does a low kick. Kinda… Meh. It’s faster than the side tilt, but it’s range and damage aren’t so great. I suggest sticking to the neutral A or side Tilt.

Side Smash: Wolf thrusts forward and claws everything in his way. The damage is a bit low, the knockback is pretty good, but what makes this move special is the range and speed. It hits much farther than any other smash attack in the game, and it comes out only a little slower than the side tilt. It can connect twice; during the slide and at the end. This is another move fallen victim to spammers, but once again, spamming won’t help in the long run. Use this move a lot, be it for finishing, approaching or whatever, but don’t use it too much or you’ll be left predictable.

Up Smash: Wolf does a kapoera-like swing with his legs, then uses them like a scissor upwards (yeah, shitty description). Can connect twice; once as wolfs legs extend to the side, then the knockback hit with the scissor. Fast and can be used out of dashing, has good vertical KO potential. The first hit connects to both sides and links into the second, which is also very nice. Replace the third hit of a neutral A with this.

Down Smash: Wolf ducks and claws both sides. Fast and powerful, though the second hit is a bit delayed. Great move to switch in for the forward smash if it gets too predictable. It hits very close to the ground, so it can be used to edgeguard or against enemies lying on the ground.

Neutral Air: Wolf does a few vertical spins. Knockback is almost zero (unless you connect right when the attack starts), same for the range, and it only does decent damage if you connect multiple hits. You can figure for yourself this move is not too famous. Still, it can be useful. It has pretty much no hit-the-ground-lag, so you can jump down on your enemy with this and follow up with a forward smash or similar.

Forward Air: Wolf claws the air. Comes out pretty fast, has good damage and knockback but also huge afterlag. Can be used as a finisher for aerial combos or just to rack up damage, but watch out for the afterlag.

Back Air: Wolf quickly kicks behind him. This is one of my favourite moves. It’s insanely fast, does good damage and has good reach. The knockback is low, thus you can easily hit your enemy multiple times before finishing with another move. It fits just about everywhere, so use it a lot and create your own combos in combination with throws and tilts. Up tilts and back/up throws work best for me.

Up Air: Wolf slices the air above him horizontally. Good reach and decent damage, tough it’s a little slower than the back air and thus less dignified for combos unless the enemy is on low percent. KOs are possible on high percent, but the forward air should do the duty earlier.Try using this as a follow-up to an up tilt or dash attack.

Down Air: Wolf claws under him with both arms. This move is great. Strong 100% spike, good damage and alright speed. Spiking is an important skill for any good wolf player. This move works as a finisher after a few back airs, out of tilts, against enemies trying to recover or just to rack up damage on the ground. Just remember to place yourself correctly after spiking so you won’t mess up the recovery!

Neutral Special: Wolf shoots with his blaster. The projectile is a lot slower than fox and falco’s and it doesn’t go very far, but it’s much more powerful (the earlier it hits, the stronger). Wolf also has a bayonette attached to his blaster which will stab enemies as he pulls out the blaster. Great to rack up damage if you can connect both the bayonette and the projectile. Also, even if it doesn’t go far it’s still a projectile and can thus be used to cancel a recovering enemy’s second jump or just for confusion.

Side Special: Wolf phantom (?). Unlike fox and falco’s version, this move transports the user sideways AND a little upwards. It does some damage to enemies struck during the attack and massive, electric damage to enemies that get hit with the sweetspot just as the attack ends. It’s fast and with good recovery potential. It doesn’t go as far as the up special, but it’s easier to use and faster, and you may even sneak in a sweetspot as you get back on the stage with it. This may not sound too spectacular, but this is one of the most surprising moves in the entire games. I’ve hit enemies far away with the sweetspot countless of times, you just gotta get the timing right and predict where you will land and where the enemy will be. Wolftastic!

Up Special: Wolf does a spin-kick towards the direction you tilt. This will be your main recovery move. It goes very far, but it has one bad side.. Once it’s executed, you will fall straight down. You can only grab the edge if you fly right into it, otherwise wolf will just stop (hammertime!) and fall down. Get the timing right and use it right below the edge or place yourself correctly with the mid-air jump. But this move is more than just recovery. It does little damage and knockback, the finishing kick at the end of the attack however will do knockback good enough to K.O an enemy at high percent, especially if he’s already high up in the air, making this move an option as a finisher for air combos or against enemies dropping down from your last hit. It’s hard to do and you might be left open as you fall back down if you miss, so careful.

Down Special: Wolf activates his red reflector. Looks much more flashy than fox or falco’s, but all it does is a little damage as it comes out and reflect (and speed up) enemy projectiles. Still, it’s a reflector, and a reflector is never bad. Don’t forget you have it and reflect your enemy’s charged projectiles or item attacks. You may even find the little opening knockback useful to knock the enemy away and follow up with a dash attack or forward smash. And if you really want to get everything out of this move, here’s a hint: Just as you activate the reflector, Wolf will be completely immune to anything for a few frames. Great to counterattack enemies coming at you, and with perfect timing you may even dodge final smashes.

Dash Attack: Wolf does a somersault. The range isn’t so great, but much like other dash attacks it works good to set your enemy up for an aerial combo. Try following up with a up air or tilt on low percent.

Grabs: Wolf’s grab attack is not like the others. It does only 1% damage, but it’s very fast and you can do it over and over. Great to rack up damage if done correctly, just learn to figure out how many times you can do it depending on how high your enemy’s percentage is.The forward throw will make wolf toss his enemy away, all other ones look the same. I find the down version most appealing as you can follow up with a side tilt or even side smash right after it.

Final Smash: Wolf jumps up and crashes down with his landmaster. I was kinda disappointed since Wolf was very different from fox up to this move. Steer it with the control stick, use B for the blaster (which will do most of the KOing work), press down to DO A BARREL ROLL and press up to fly. The blaster is stronger than the one fox has, and it flies better than falco’s, but it doesn’t last as long meaning you can only KO your enemy once unless you manage to KO him just as you activate the final smash, then place yourself below the spawning platform and fly your enemy off-stage as he jumps down. Works best in matches with 3 or more players.

Attributes: As mentionned before, Wolf is very balanced. All of his attributes are thus about average (comparable to Mario), except he’s a tad heavy-ish. Wolf is larger than he may seem, he just keeps his stance low. He can also do wall-jumps.

Hints and Stuff: Learn to use the side-B, use tilts and the back air for fabulous combos, know when to spike and master your recovery. Wolf isn’t easy to use. A lot of his moves require precise timing and correct placement. Practice a lot, kick a** and have some fun with this thang.

Zelda

Zero Suit Samus

Al Torrenz

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:12 pm
Thanks gaiz.

This page is gonna be LOOOOOOOOOOONG once I get a dozen up or so, and if I ever finish.. GEE.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:42 pm
Regulust
Aren't the reverse Falcon Punch/Warlock Punch faster and stronger?

Nope, they're slower. It's more obvious on the warlock punch, on the falcon punch it's a bit harder to realize because after he turns around, the punch actually comes out faster. But counting the time turning around, it's still slower than a regular falcon punch.  

Al Torrenz

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm
Banner add'd.

I've been up alot longer than I should have, I really need some sleep. Night guys.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:15 pm
Allegro
tl;dr.

xd

If I owned a Wii, this would be great.

golden_ninja91

Yoshi Coin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:21 pm
Awesome.
This is very detailed and well put. o:
I'm going to have to put this to use. c:

'Tendo Cult~