Reply Classical Musicians Guild
Debussy Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I Cosmo I

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:41 am
Any Debussy fans? My favorite song from him is Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum, but i also enjoy listing to Minstrels.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:44 am
I like Syrinx for flute alone. It looks real easy, but its one of the hardest pieces. Far too commonly played though, it gets tiresome quickly.  

flutopia

Septomor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:48 am
I love his preludes, they're just mystical. We're playing Clair de Lune for marching band. Sounds weird, but it's awesome.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:48 am
Man is condemned to be free. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Haha, I love Debussy...I guess my current favourite of his would be Rêverie for piano or La Mer for orchestra - both really highlight the sheer genius of Debussy's impressionism. It's amazing that music can be so metaphorical and yet so literal.

Edit: oh, I should probably also mention that we just sang Salut Printemps, which was a LOT of fun, even though it's a challenging piece. I love Debussy chansons

A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic. ~George Bernard Shaw

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

LadyBherd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:03 pm
ooh! i'm currently working on golliwogg's cakewalk! it's so fun to play!!
but apart from that i'm not really too crazy about his music, i have a cd or two of him, but he's not really my favourite. i guess i have yet to find the right pieces  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:54 pm
I love Debussy! I think one of my favorites would have to be Beau Soir. I sang it for my vocal jury last semester, and I fell madly in love with that piece.  

Aureleid

Dainty Sparkler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:22 pm
I'm singing a piece by Debussy right now- it is also called Clair de Lune, but it isn't the one that he's most famous for. It's from his "Quatre Chansons de Jeunesse". So beautiful. Debussy is a genius. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:00 pm
Quote:
My favorite song from him is Clair De Lune,

I LOVE that song. My sister played it (she also plays piano, but is in college for her music ed major soon.) Anyway, that song is great.  

Geograce

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:47 pm
Played it last concert in May in my Orchestra, it was fun.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:51 pm
Ooh, I love Debussy. My favourites are the Nocturnes for Orchestra, the Estampes, Suite Bergamasque, the Preludes (book one, specifically) and Children's Corner.  

Le Aristocrat

I Cosmo I

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:04 pm
Le Aristocrat
Ooh, I love Debussy. My favourites are the Nocturnes for Orchestra, the Estampes, Suite Bergamasque, the Preludes (book one, specifically) and Children's Corner.

clair de lune is from Suite Bergamasque right?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:28 am
My personal favourite is the Engulfed Cathedral. Or the Sunken Cathedral. I've seen it called both. We did the band version of it, which was pretty lame, but the piano version is beautiful.  

metamorphize

Marie-Cris

Salty Phantom

24,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:44 am
heart ... Autumn leaves fall and are swept out of sight ...

I love Debussy. When I was a kid my mum would put on a 101 Strings CD ((that has about 14 tracks XD)) when we went to bed so I would lie awake until after Clair de Lune; I just couldn't go to sleep until I'd heard it.

I've got the 4-disc album La Mer stored on my laptop ((lovingly burned from the Elder School of Music Library ... I know, shame)). Children's Corner is another one of my favourites, as well as Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune; was incredibly happy when that was one of the pieces used for the audio question in our History of 20th Century Music exam.

... So are the memories of love that we knew ... heart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 am
Trois Chansons de Charles d'Orleans -- three really lush choral pieces <3 Really lovely and kind of random... I can't remember the movement names at the moment, but they're rather like:

1. A love poem describing the beauty of the writer's love.
2. "When I hear the tambourine sound, I do not lift my head from my pillow."
3. Winter is a villain, not like wonderful summer ^^x  

Savoy

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:40 pm
Man is condemned to be free. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Debussy was an absolute genius when it comes to his choral/vocal sets - I haven't heard too many of them, but they always impress me, regardless. I have to say, he knows how to shape music in a way few composer can rival.

A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic. ~George Bernard Shaw

Classical Musicians Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces