Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Times when its inappropriate to declare your atheism? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:20 pm
HM... the title sounds bad to me. XD

Anyways.
Is there a time and place where saying you are atheist is uncalled for and/or rude?
For example, if your family members ask you to say grace, is it asserting your religious rights or just being rebellious?

Is it inappropriate when asked at a 3-year-old's sunday school, "Are you a methodist?" to say, "No, I'm atheist!"

I'm sure there are others, but I'll leave that to your imaginations.

So.
Are there times when one should not mention their athesim as a way to "keep the peace", of sorts?
Or should one proudly declare their religious influences?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:47 am
KuroFur

Anyways.
Is there a time and place where saying you are atheist is uncalled for and/or rude?
For example, if your family members ask you to say grace, is it asserting your religious rights or just being rebellious?

Is it inappropriate when asked at a 3-year-old's sunday school, "Are you a methodist?" to say, "No, I'm atheist!"

So.
Are there times when one should not mention their athesim as a way to "keep the peace", of sorts?

What you're asking is as follows.

"Is there a time when telling people I'm not a delusional schizophrenic is a bad thing, and allowing them to assume I am a delusional schizophrenic is a good thing"

How about NO!!!!!!

It is never a good thing to not admit to being an atheist, discounting finding yourself stranded in Saudi Arabia with a bust of sadistic blood thirsty Muslims looking for an "infidel" to kill.

If you treat religion with respect it will get used to the idea of people respecting it. This is not a good thing. When people talk to imaginary friends they should have mockery and ridicule, unless they're young children in which case they should have the truth explained to them in a way they can understand.

Never be ashamed that you are a strong willed intelligent person who doesn't have imaginary friends. This is a GOOD thing.

Those who are offended by your atheism are delusional anyway, who cares if the mental patients are upset, they're barely human anyway (human being are the first species to develop reasoned thought, they gave theirs away, they are equivalent to cattle in my eyes).  

Tornado_Creator

guttural

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:39 am
I go to my grandparents house a couple times every year and I say grace with them at the dinner table and occasionally go to church with them too.

It honestly doesn't mean anything to me. I don't get anything out of prayer, obviously, so I don't feel the need to complain or refuse, especially seeing as I'm in someone else's home. I don't feel any different than if I hadn't gone to church or "prayed", so why does it matter?

I don't understand why so many atheists feel the need to tell the world about how right they are. How can you do the exact same thing that you want everyone else to stop doing?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 pm
I go to free lunches offered by religious groups. I don't talk about atheism there. Well, sometimes I talk about it in distant way for research purposes. I try not to get to know the people as individuals, but they are very insistant on knowing things about me. Christians are artificially friendly.

Anyway, I don't really announce it at all, because I don't like to get into fights about it. But if I know someone for a while, it will come up, because I don't like to be fake with people I spend a lot of time with.

If someone asks me if I believe in g0d, I'm not going to lie. Ever.  

Prince Rilian

Sex! at the Disco

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:10 pm
In the middle of delivering a sermon at a Southern Church.

That would be both inappropriate and dangerous.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:50 pm
There are two categories of times when you may want to re-consider coming out:

1) When you'll be in physical danger from the declaration.

2) When it hurts someone's feelings in a way which is not constructive and is unnecessary.

eg.:
Person A: *crying* "Why did he have to die?"
Person B: *patting them* "He's in a better place now..."
You: "As an atheist, I'm almost completely certain that isn't true."  

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:06 am
Tornado_Creator
KuroFur

Anyways.

So.

"Is there a time when telling people I'm not a delusional schizophrenic is a bad thing, and allowing them to assume I am a delusional schizophrenic is a good thing"

How about NO!!!!!!

It is never a good thing to not admit to being an atheist, discounting finding yourself stranded in Saudi Arabia with a bust of sadistic blood thirsty Muslims looking for an "infidel" to kill.

If you treat religion with respect it will get used to the idea of people respecting it. This is not a good thing. When people talk to imaginary friends they should have mockery and ridicule, unless they're young children in which case they should have the truth explained to them in a way they can understand.

Never be ashamed that you are a strong willed intelligent person who doesn't have imaginary friends. This is a GOOD thing.

Those who are offended by your atheism are delusional anyway, who cares if the mental patients are upset, they're barely human anyway (human being are the first species to develop reasoned thought, they gave theirs away, they are equivalent to cattle in my eyes).

I agree with all but the last paragraph of your statement. Some of us escaped religion but still wouldn't consider themselves to have been cattle, ever, in their lives. That's a huge problem, pretending that there's some enormous gap between the humanity of theists and atheists. How can you expect people to be peaceable if you alienate them that way?

You say that religion is mental illness. Okay, I'll certainly buy that, but then you say that they're no better than cattle. Are you prepared to be consistent and say that all people with mental illnesses are cattle? Are you further prepared to claim that you're never illogical, and that anyone who does illogical is cattle?

I know I'm certainly not always logical. I'm not sure there has ever been a spot marked "wet paint" that I haven't felt compelled to touch.

Humans aren't always logical, and sometimes animals are. I think you're being unkind to cows in a way which isn't fair. They aren't eaten and treated the way that they are because they deserve it in some queer moral fashion. They're treated that way because they're delicious.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:11 am
Sharp Santini
Humans aren't always logical, and sometimes animals are. I think you're being unkind to cows in a way which isn't fair.
Teehee. My laugh is not meant to invalidate your statement. I laugh when I am happy.
Quote:
They aren't eaten and treated the way that they are because they deserve it in some queer moral fashion.
Uhuh...
Quote:
They're treated that way because they're delicious.
Hahahahahaha!

biggrin heart

I know you're right.  

Prince Rilian

Rogue_Rachiru

Dapper Guildswoman

6,400 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:48 am
I don't really think there's an inappropriate time, as long as you're not rude about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:28 am
Sharp Santini
There are two categories of times when you may want to re-consider coming out:

1) When you'll be in physical danger from the declaration.

2) When it hurts someone's feelings in a way which is not constructive and is unnecessary.

eg.:
Person A: *crying* "Why did he have to die?"
Person B: *patting them* "He's in a better place now..."
You: "As an atheist, I'm almost completely certain that isn't true."

I agree with this statement. Otherwise, you should be totally honest about your beliefs-- stay proud of who you are! But the dying dialogue..... lol I can't imagine anybody saying that unless they are a jerk. And jerks who are atheists give people the wrong idea about the rest of us......  

Serendipity Splendor

Tornado_Creator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:04 am
Sharp Santini
Tornado_Creator
KuroFur

Anyways.

So.

How about NO!!!!!!

I agree with all but the last paragraph of your statement. Some of us escaped religion but still wouldn't consider themselves to have been cattle, ever, in their lives. That's a huge problem, pretending that there's some enormous gap between the humanity of theists and atheists. How can you expect people to be peaceable if you alienate them that way?

You say that religion is mental illness. Okay, I'll certainly buy that, but then you say that they're no better than cattle. Are you prepared to be consistent and say that all people with mental illnesses are cattle? Are you further prepared to claim that you're never illogical, and that anyone who does illogical is cattle?

I know I'm certainly not always logical. I'm not sure there has ever been a spot marked "wet paint" that I haven't felt compelled to touch.

Humans aren't always logical, and sometimes animals are. I think you're being unkind to cows in a way which isn't fair. They aren't eaten and treated the way that they are because they deserve it in some queer moral fashion. They're treated that way because they're delicious.

Ok, there was a small measure of sarcasm in what I was saying which may not have came across as intended.

Yes, I consider all people who do not conduct their lives by logic and reason to be unpredictable and dangerous and thus I avoid them where possible. I am entirely logical in what I do. Occasionally I act on impulses as all humans do, often due to extreme emotional stimulus or trauma. This however is an expected level of illogical action. It is logical to expect the brain to occasionally force the person to act illogically, however if they strive to conduct their lives with reason and to "quest" as it where, for facts and truth then they are doing as I am doing and they are deserving of my respect. I wish to lead my life 'believing' a few falsehoods as possible, I would hope that others also want the same.

And yes, I am entirely logical to within the expected boundaries of humanity. I still say "Ow" when I injure myself even when the pain is very slight and no-one is around to be alerted that I may need help, yet I still reactively say "Ow" even know I know that there is no logical reason to do so.

I will likely talk as though I was talking to my parents after they die. I am sure I will say things that I wished I could say to them when they where alive, out loud and will probably get emotional. I know they cannot hear me but I will still do it because it is a standard grieving method used to cope with emotional trauma.

People do illogical things, but there are reasons behind them, so really, are they so illogical after all if we can explain them?

I am almost certain that I live in absolute logic, at least from my perspective. If you think otherwise, I would like to know why.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:03 pm
Tornado_Creator
Sharp Santini
Tornado_Creator
KuroFur

Anyways.

So.

How about NO!!!!!!

Ok, there was a small measure of sarcasm in what I was saying which may not have came across as intended.

Yes, I consider all people who do not conduct their lives by logic and reason to be unpredictable and dangerous and thus I avoid them where possible. I am entirely logical in what I do. Occasionally I act on impulses as all humans do, often due to extreme emotional stimulus or trauma. This however is an expected level of illogical action. It is logical to expect the brain to occasionally force the person to act illogically, however if they strive to conduct their lives with reason and to "quest" as it where, for facts and truth then they are doing as I am doing and they are deserving of my respect. I wish to lead my life 'believing' a few falsehoods as possible, I would hope that others also want the same.

And yes, I am entirely logical to within the expected boundaries of humanity. I still say "Ow" when I injure myself even when the pain is very slight and no-one is around to be alerted that I may need help, yet I still reactively say "Ow" even know I know that there is no logical reason to do so.

I will likely talk as though I was talking to my parents after they die. I am sure I will say things that I wished I could say to them when they where alive, out loud and will probably get emotional. I know they cannot hear me but I will still do it because it is a standard grieving method used to cope with emotional trauma.

People do illogical things, but there are reasons behind them, so really, are they so illogical after all if we can explain them?

I am almost certain that I live in absolute logic, at least from my perspective. If you think otherwise, I would like to know why.

It's nearly impossible to use "absolute logic", a lot of the basis of our actions is subjective. Still, that you try to be as logical as possible is to be applauded. I suppose that I had trouble discerning the sarcasm because all but the last statement (while somewhat extreme) I agree with, and I believed them to be sincere. There wasn't any noticeable transition between the two. In most cases when someone deliberately crescendos an argument to a clearly absurd climax, it shows they're making fun of the entire argument. While I didn't know, I didn't think this was the case, so I supposed you were just being ridiculous.  

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ruminating Skeptic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 pm
I don't think that atheism is something that should be hidden. In no situation should you have to hide who you are.

It's sad in our day and age that we have to declare non-belief, or else be lumped with all the others. If someone gets offended because I don't believe in what they do, fine. I've stopped trying to be the sort of person who trys to please everyone. I could care less is some moron feels all butthurt over the fact that I don't need the crutch like they do.

BTW, OP genius, the word atheist is a noun. Therefore, it's correct English to say "I'm an atheist". Just thought I'd let you know before a REAL grammar Nazi rips you to shreds.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:15 am
But it could also be an adjective.

adjective
1. related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings"

adjective: "I'm atheist", as in, my beliefs are atheistic.

noun
1. someone who denies the existence of god
noun: "I am an atheist".

Besides, it's a little silly to be that prescriptionist with grammar.  

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Xiporah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 am
Tornado_Creator

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff