Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Show yer Stuff Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Katherdante

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Okay, I didn't see a thread where we can all just post our stuff. So here it is.

Rules

Post one Project / Image at a time and allow time
for people to critique before posting another.

Constructive Critisism ONLY /aka/ No art bashing.

It has to be your original work.

It can be work generated for school, a profesional project
or something that you just did on your own.

Do not just post a link to your DevArt Account
and ask for us to critique your body of work.
This is for us to look at one piece at a time
and get to know each other's styles and
help each other improve.

For presentations sake please use a tidy, reasonably
sized thumbnail with a link to the full sized version.
These can of course be hosted on DevArt.

Use the following format when posting your piece.

[b]Name: [/b] Your Name
[b]Title: [/b] Title of your Piece
[b]Medium: [/b] What you used to create it.
[b]Year: [/b] The Year you produced this piece.

[img]malformed url[/img]

[b][u]Comments[/u][/b]

Tell us about this piece.

Use the following format when responding to a piece.

[b]Name: [/b] Your Name
[b]Critique for: [/b] Title of the Piece your Critiquing
[b]General Impression: [/b] Just a short genearal thought.
[b][u]Critique[/u][/b]
The comments go here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:34 pm
Name: Cat
Title: With Our Hands
Medium: Photography
Year: Fall 2004

User Image

Comments

I did this piece for a class last fall. The assignment was to choose from a list
of words that were the opposites of each other and to create a graphic solution
using photography. Mine was 'open/closed'.

I chose the composition and subject matter to make the statement go a little
further into the symbolic realm. The open handed frame is a calm and serene
blue/cool color to emphisize feelings of tranquility and peace. The closed handed
frame is redish/warm color, highlighting the violent closed fist.  

Katherdante

Kitsuta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:26 am
Name: Kitsuta
Critique for: "With Our Hands"
General Impression: Great piece! smile

I like this a lot. I think it's good that you went one step further and infused symbolism into your photography -- the willingness to go the extra mile in your work makes the difference between producing good art and producing GREAT art. Just a few nitpicks -- my monitor can handle very dark colors, and I did look at the full view, and I came to the conclusion that the hands get a bit too dark. Especially the 'closed' hand; I see what you were trying to do with the harsh lighting, but it blends in too much with the black matte you have around the two photographs and confuses the eye quite a bit, especially on the smaller version. I would recommend you give the hand more space like you did with the 'open' hand. I know you probably wanted to give the closed hand more emotion by making it bigger, but IMHO tranquility is just as strong of an emotion as anger/violence. It's up to you. If you can't/don't change it, that's fine.

Another thing.. the black matte is all well and good, but it makes the piece look a little unfinished for two reasons. One is that it's uneven for no discernable reason -- why is there more black on top? Why isn't there any black on the sides? It doesn't make sense. I know your school project might constrict you on this, but I would love some kind of title on the bottom to make this piece a little more polished.

As I said before, it's a great piece. Very good photography and contrast. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:32 pm
Kitsuta

I think it's good that you went one step further and infused symbolism into your photography -- the willingness to go the extra mile in your work makes the difference between producing good art and producing GREAT art.

Thank you so much! The teacher thought so as well. I got an A+ for this one.

Kitsuta

Just a few nitpicks -- my monitor can handle very dark colors, and I did look at the full view, and I came to the conclusion that the hands get a bit too dark. Especially the 'closed' hand; I see what you were trying to do with the harsh lighting, but it blends in too much with the black matte you have around the two photographs and confuses the eye quite a bit, especially on the smaller version. I would recommend you give the hand more space like you did with the 'open' hand. I know you probably wanted to give the closed hand more emotion by making it bigger, but IMHO tranquility is just as strong of an emotion as anger/violence. It's up to you. If you can't/don't change it, that's fine.

I have two monitors and one is older so I can understand the problem of it looking too dark. But trust me. Face to face the piece's contrast is right on. The problem in this case is a technical one because of the hardward used to view it.

On the sizing... I hate to say this but... well, it just happened like that. I think it is mainly because the 'angery' hand is comming at us i.e. it is for-shortened. Where-as the other hand is resting at a different angle is is to the side.

I felt the balance was fine between them. I think the problem you are having with the closed fist might be because it is right up against the edge of the viewing area. Trust me, with the side borders it looks more like it is slamming into them adding to the effect.

Kitsuta

Another thing.. the black matte is all well and good, but it makes the piece look a little unfinished for two reasons. One is that it's uneven for no discernable reason -- why is there more black on top? Why isn't there any black on the sides? It doesn't make sense. I know your school project might constrict you on this, but I would love some kind of title on the bottom to make this piece a little more polished.

I'm sorry you feel it loses something because of the matting.
The matting was done by hand per the instructer's specs.
The label is on the back. We have a particular label we must
use and a certain spot on the back of the piece where it
must be placed.

I am a Communication Design major at TSU and our teachers
are professionals in their individual fields. They all take presentation
compleatly seriously and all student work is not only expected,
but required to meet industry standards.

This was done for my first ComDes Foundation's course.
So he was the most easy going on the mouting as
it is going to get for me. He broke it down to the basic
steps. I.E. We were not required to put on a 'cover flap'
which is trasparancy paper that covers the front, perfecty
to size and shape, with a 2'' tapered back that must be
attatched with white masking tape. With the tape the corners
must be trimmed to contenue the vertical that the tapered
back of the transparency paper creates.

And thats not getting into dimentions. The norm for dimentions
is 2'' top and sides and the 3'' bottom. For this he had different
dimentions for the piece. Though, I believe that the side edges
are actually 2'' ea. at least... maybe 3''? I am at work right now
so I will let you know later. In anycase, I believe that the edges
were trimmed off due to the limited size of my scanner. If you
think it is seriously detrimental I can photograph the piece,
or maybe add the border in again digitially as photographing
a piece instead of scanning usually loses something.

Thank you so much for the feedback!
I hope to see more people not only respond to my stuff,
but start posting their stuff as well!  

Katherdante

Kitsuta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:10 pm
Katherdante,

I understand about the hardware thing. This isn't a new monitor, but it usually doesn't have a problem with viewing things that are too dark. If you say it looks fine IRL, that's good enough for me.

xd You have good luck, haha. No, it looks fine, the only problem was with the blending because my monitor didn't differentiate. 3nodding

In retrospect, the balance IS fine, the only real problem was the contrast.

Oh my! That's quite a strict course! :O Well if it was supposed to be done a certain way then that's fine.

I didn't think about the scanner cutting it off, but that makes sense. You can edit it on the computer if you wish to -- I think it might look better, but it looks good anyway. 3nodding

I might post something later. Right now I can't think of anything.. most of the websites I am working on, have not been published yet... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:19 am
Kitsuta
Katherdante,

I understand about the hardware thing. This isn't a new monitor, but it usually doesn't have a problem with viewing things that are too dark. If you say it looks fine IRL, that's good enough for me.

xd You have good luck, haha. No, it looks fine, the only problem was with the blending because my monitor didn't differentiate. 3nodding

In retrospect, the balance IS fine, the only real problem was the contrast.

Oh my! That's quite a strict course! :O Well if it was supposed to be done a certain way then that's fine.

I didn't think about the scanner cutting it off, but that makes sense. You can edit it on the computer if you wish to -- I think it might look better, but it looks good anyway. 3nodding

I might post something later. Right now I can't think of anything.. most of the websites I am working on, have not been published yet... sweatdrop

I had my parents bring it up when they visited me and the border is compleatly different. 2 in on top and sides, 3 on bottom like I said were the usual specs. When I have a chance I will edit it digitally to refect that. *nod*

Thanks for the feedback. And yes... they are very specific. It is not just one course but my major. xd

And show what ever you want/can.
It just has to be your work.  

Katherdante

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:41 pm
Name: mrmrs_sukiher (You could call me Sue)
Title: Rurouni Kenshin, Legendary Battousai
Medium: Macromedia Fireworks MX
Year: 2005

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Comments

"Rurouni Kenshin, Legendary Battousai" is a layout I created for my website. For those who don't know, "Rurouni Kenshin" is a Japanese Animation about a wandering samurai who spends his time repenting for his past mistakes. Kenshin is the man in the middle, surrounded by his companions. He's a really nice person, but he also has a really nasty personality, which is shown with the picture on the right (in the round box). I think I like it, but extra help would do as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:25 pm
Critique for: Rurouni Kenshin, Legendary Battousai
General impression: Please do not use copyrighted images in your works.

Unfortunately, sukiher, it is apparent that not everything in your layout is copyrighted to you. It's technically copyright infringement to use copyrighted images in your layouts, banners, etc, and besides the words and lay out of the images, the piece does not fully belong to you. Thus, I can't really critique it. sweatdrop  

Kitsuta

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:45 pm
Oh, sorry about that then. When I put the coding and layout together, then I copyright it to Rurouni Kenshin.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:49 pm
Kitsuta
Critique for: Rurouni Kenshin, Legendary Battousai
General impression: Please do not use copyrighted images in your works.

Unfortunately, sukiher, it is apparent that not everything in your layout is copyrighted to you. It's technically copyright infringement to use copyrighted images in your layouts, banners, etc, and besides the words and lay out of the images, the piece does not fully belong to you. Thus, I can't really critique it. sweatdrop
Is that honestly true? I find that very hard to believe. sweatdrop As long as you're not making money off it, you don't claim it as yours, and you at least aknowledge whose it rightfully is, is it copyright infringement?  

alis in wonderland

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:42 pm
Name: mrmrs_sukiher
Title: The Green Mystery
Medium: Macromedia Fireworks MX

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Comments

I was really interested in the mystifying look of a tigers eye, so I decided to create a green eye! I love green, so that's why. But I really like it. What do you think? Any improvements???  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:47 pm
Name: Tsujigiri-san, way formerly known as Gebrek
Critiquing: The Green Mystery
Gen. Impression: AMAZING!

I think the use of color is amazing, but a couple of technical things. I know you didn't specify what "type" of eye you were making, but cat's pupils are almond shaped. I like how you turned the pupil into a design though. I'm not sure but are the yellow bands around the pupil supposed to look like blood vessels? Maybe try making them radiate from the center a little, so it looks less like a circle, and a little more like a line nova (?). Good job all together, it looks great!  

124-C

Sovielus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:27 am
Name: Sovielus
Title: Big Bang
Medium: Photoshop
Year:Fall 2005

User Image

I got bored one day during open hour so I decided to put this together. All I did was raise the saturation, added wind, and placed an explosion behind the city scene. Anyways, I'd like the feedback. Feel free the PM me instead of posting here, since I can't get on every day. Thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:00 am
No comments?
That makes me sad. crying  

Sovielus

124-C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:49 pm
Name: Aaron (Tsujigiri-san)
Title: umm, Slick's new sig[?]
Medium: GIMP
User Image

Comments
Well, my friend asked me to make a new sig for him. After looking at his avatar for all of five minutes I decided to focus on the sunglasses. You can see the result of this decision. Any way, I was just to proud of this one to let it go unknown...  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff