Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Protesting? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To protest or not to protest?
  To protest!
  Not to protest.
  That is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or...
View Results

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:32 am
This topic is about...protests and protesters.
Just share stories, comments, anything.

My story: the other day there were a few anti-abortion protestors on campus. They were in two or three locations where a lot of people would have to pass by. Of course they had posters with pictures of fetuses and were yelling on bull-horns. It made walking to class a charming experience. I liked how they did it on the same day and same time others were trying to do a breast cancer awareness event in the same area. I think the breast cancer thing was funded by an official organization though. Hence the nice flyers and sticker things and looking like they had bathed recently. (not that all anti-abortion protestors don't bathe..just not the particular ones I saw.)
Anyways, anti-abortion and anti-homosexual protestors used to hang out in front of my highschool/middle school once or twice a year. There's nothing a 6th grader likes more than seeing large photos of fetuses at 8 in the morning. I can understand thinking a college campus is appropriate since some people were actually stopping and asking questions/ debating. It always puzzles me that they have to go for shock value. All it accomplishes is making everyone on campus go 'OMG did u see..!!!' And a few people will get upset and argue. But overall, I haven't seen shock value posters and such do much good. It's like the guy I saw standing on the side of the road yelling about Jesus and going to hell. There's no positive correlation between the loudness of the message and the chance of conversion.
[/minirant]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:35 am
The shock value gets attention. They want attention for their cause. Pictures of dead fetuses get attention. Therefore they're gettin what they want. It's a good ploy for protests. 3nodding  

Thaxul

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:11 am
Do the protesters happen to be highly religious?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:02 pm
My mom went to that Anti-War protest in Washington D.C. last week. I didn't go, but I'm glad I didn't after watching some TV.  

[Satan]

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:41 pm
I'm not much for protesting. I think people are more than capable of informing themselves without me shouting my opinion over a megaphone with a half dozen photos of distubing images.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:27 pm
Dathu
I'm not much for protesting. I think people are more than capable of informing themselves without me shouting my opinion over a megaphone with a half dozen photos of distubing images.
I agree. That's why I didn't go to the protest with my mom. sweatdrop  

[Satan]

E_Night

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:29 pm
I think it would be ... fun to be a protester if it was something i beleived in... all though if there is a good cartoon on i might want to watch that instead ya know? xp  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:16 am
A church in my area, aparently, made all the ...church-goers watch a video of an abortion.
My friend couldn't stop laughing when the video was playing.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:00 am
I don't think the issue is killing babies.

To me...it seems the issue is sex.

Do you know that the "Bible" says that having sex that doesn't result in a baby is a sin? So everytime someone has safe sex they are supposedly sinning.

I forget which bill they tried to force though...but it was supposed to stop the morning after pill, and emergancy contraceptives. Later on they wanted to go ahead(If that one passed), and stop people from using condoms, or birth control pills.

Even that church whose vatican died not to long ago....they tell thier people that the use of condoms and birth control pills are bad. Technically they arn't supposed to even recommend them to people in Africa....

At first I didn't understand this level of extremist. But after thinking, and a bit of research...I came to one conclusion.

It is an underhanded attempt to enforce their religious beleifs and morals.

It has nothing to do with killing the unborn fetus, and everything to do with people having safe sex.

Protestors like that make me sick. I can't stand them
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:52 am
Sanguvixen

Not only that, people of a faith discourage and/or outright ban any form of birth control because it lowers the number of future followers. They know that children of a christian will more than likely be christian, so the more children the better. Mormans are huge on this aspect. stare

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:13 pm
Dathu
Sanguvixen

Not only that, people of a faith discourage and/or outright ban any form of birth control because it lowers the number of future followers. They know that children of a christian will more than likely be christian, so the more children the better. Mormans are huge on this aspect. stare

Oh I know. Some Catholic groups are like that too.

The only reason a lot of religions still exist today is because parents force it upon thier children.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:38 pm
What I think of protestors

User Image

oddly enough this is also my opinion on this particular issue, but that's a whole other thread...  

Orichalcon

Thaxul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:35 pm
Orichalcon
What I think of protestors

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

oddly enough this is also my opinion on this particular issue, but that's a whole other thread...
That guy is my hero. surprised  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:30 pm
I like the Anarchist Protest Ninjas who sneak around and disrupt anti-protest rallies and stuff... steal or mess up signs and just generally cause havoc among them.

I hear they all wear masks and refuse to show their faces to anyone ever.  

Bowmore

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:31 am
Orichalcon, that image rocks.

Whoever that dude is, he is a braver man than I.

xp Damn that was funny.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces