Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
do we need religon? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TragicRabbit616

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:14 pm
i want to be a paranormal investigator and my mom says i need to have a firm religous background but im not a really religous person
iacctualy dnt beleive in god
do i need religon?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:32 pm
it depends on whether or not you can accept what happens in a paranormal sense, most religions are just systems used to try and understand things that wouldn't make sense without them so if you can believe whats happening without that system I would say just go for it.  

talnari forsaken

The Dark Side of Desire

4,975 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm
You don't need a firm religious anything. Most religions already have set explainations for the things you'll be investigating, and there's no point in investigating something you already know all about. All you need to know is how to handel the things you're looking into, and you'll be fine

Love and Peace!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:35 pm
I second (or third) what Sakai and Talnari said. You don't require any kind of religious, faith or magickal system in order to investigate the paranormal. If anything, a strong sense of scientific procedures would be handy.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Baltazaar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:51 pm
depends on what your style will be.
As far as I know, only eyes and ears are required, and maybe the ability to buy some electrical gadgets.
Sure, a knowledge of religions helps, but mostly in the field of the clients.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:12 pm
Mitsh
I second (or third) what Sakai and Talnari said. You don't require any kind of religious, faith or magickal system in order to investigate the paranormal. If anything, a strong sense of scientific procedures would be handy.

Ascended_Samster

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm
I don't see why a set religion would be necessary for Paranormal Investigation. You can believe in spirits without a religion (i know plenty of people who do).

Surely a religion couldn't hurt (if it's one of the religions that teaches how to deal with spirits), but i don't think it's necessary.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:12 pm
i would think that a general knowledge about a variety of religions is a good idea if you want to go into investigating the paranormal. but it should be balanced by scientific knowledge and a certain degree of sceptisism.  

Just Tsuki

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 pm
Tsuki Yuki Kuki
i would think that a general knowledge about a variety of religions is a good idea if you want to go into investigating the paranormal. but it should be balanced by scientific knowledge and a certain degree of sceptisism.

I agree. Depending on whom you are working with: Like on Paranormal state, most of them are Catholics, you should be able to know what they are talking about.

Of course then you balance it out by knowing about the demons in the room of whatever.

I love Paranormal State BTW, how they can't say a demon's name XD Good times.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 pm
I like paranormal state, too...

I'm also a fan of Most Haunted, simply because they freak out about everything, and squeal and run around with their british accents.  

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:23 pm
XxBangbang.im.a.banditxX
I like paranormal state, too...

I'm also a fan of Most Haunted, simply because they freak out about everything, and squeal and run around with their british accents.

That is actually my favorite part because it makes me go...really? It's just a spirit...and a minor one at that, you have nothing to fear.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:12 am
TragicRabbit616
i want to be a paranormal investigator and my mom says i need to have a firm religous background but im not a really religous person
iacctualy dnt beleive in god
do i need religon?

No. Religion is something that irked the hell outta Jesus. If you look up the original meaning of the word from its either latin or greek roots, it means "a rebinding to god". WHat you need my friend is a good sense of what you believe is the truth. keep to your truths and you won't get caught up in the wierdness and stuff and die from it.  

bassclef1

D_Marx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:04 am
It depends on how you're researching. If you're going to research as a scientist, you don't really need religion. If you're researching based on Spiritual senses and intuition [as psychics consulted by a police force] you might need a little back up or reinforcement.

If you're thinking about walking around haunted places with either, take extreme care in being as true to yourself as you can. Don't adopt anything strange just to fulfill a requirement.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 am
Half in Half. You don't need a religions background but you do need some understanding of it.  

Koigokoro Konjou

Fumetsu Hime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 pm
I too, want to be a paranormal investigator.

You don't need a religion.

In fact, I feel it is quite the opposite.

Having a religion gets in the way of the truth. If your beliefs make you take an obvious piece of evidence that may prove paranormal exsists, then everything you worked for is ruined because you are too stubborn to think that maybe your religious beliefs were incorrect.

For example, suppose you found an actual ghost. You are able to speak to the ghost, and it tells you that when you die you are doomed to walk on earth for all eternity. Now suppose your Christian, or any other religion who believes in God. You would have to accept that God doesn't exsist, and neither does Heaven or Hell. Now those three things, are the majority of the religion, and connect to all other aspects of it.

To accept the Ghost's story, would to go against everything you believe in. It is much better to go into it with an open mind. Because if you are willing to let go in what you believe in so easily, then you never truly believed it at all, therefore you have no right to claim that religion. I myself, am Buddhist. In my religion, we don't worship anything, but we can if we so choose to. By being Buddhist, I am not devoting my life to a figure that may or may not exsist. Instead, I can merely keep God as an option. A philosophy to consider, but not to take true action upon.

If you want to, I see no harm in choosing a religion, but merely as an idea. Something that you feel makes sense, but not to go all out and let it take over you, because then you won't accept the truth, even when it hits you in the face.

Anyone who wishes to contradict me, please do so. I would love to hear your opinion, that may or may not sway my own. I, like I mentioned earlier, like to be open to options. heart

The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff