Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christian Condescension Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:48 pm
I was browsing through some random Gaian profiles and I came upon the profile of a person who said something like, "I am a Christian and if knowing that puts you off you might want to rethink your opinions of people." Then I found the classic "anti-atheist" rant in this person's journal. I won't name drop, but here's the text from the journal (the entry was public, so I assume it is fine for me to post it here).

Quote:
Atheism: The Ultimate Irony

Atheism is probably one of the most ultimate forms of irony ever.

First of all, God gave us free will. The fact that they have chosen not to believe in God is ironic.

Secondly, the fact that they claim that "faith" is stupid is also ironic, because they have faith in their own beliefs.

Third, the fact that they claim us to be blind when they are, in fact, the ones who seem to be blinded to the fact that spirits and other planes do exist is extremely ironic, and earns a nice chuckle.

Fourth, the fact that they believe there is no meaning to life but continue to try and create meaning to their lives is ironic, because they don't believe there is a meaning to life. It doesn't matter if they say "be the best you can be" or "have fun while you're here". Those are meanings to life, and since they believe there is no meaning to life, it is ironic.

It's also retarded.

Fifth, the fact that they claim that religion is bad and should be gotten rid of is extremely ironic, because their beliefs say that there is no point. Therefore, we have the right to do whatever we wish to anybody without any regard to anything. Religion, on the other hand, teaches morals and ways in which to live and find joy and peace.

I've talked to a lot of people of different beliefs. And out of all of them, the group that has had the most jerks has been atheism. Go figure.

Sixth, the fact that they claim that demons and/or spirits don't appear to them, and therefore, cannot exist, is also ironic, because they don't seem to realize that spirits won't appear to people who aren't open to them, and Satan has no use of sending demons to mess with them when he already has them wrapped around his large red finger.

And that, my friends, is why atheism is ironic. And irony is something that has always made me smile. Thank you, atheists, for all the irony you emit.

So, opinions? Thoughts? Seems this person could use a little of her own advice - "rethink your opinions of people" hmm? Nearly every journal entry that I looked at involved SOME sort of disparaging remark about atheists. I know this is pretty much just your typical fundie nonsense, but I needed to vent. XD  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 pm
Don't they realize we're people too? We do have feelings emo

But seriously, and he calls us jerks.

Ozraptor

worthless emo soup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:58 pm
I'm not a jerk. crying I'm just as nice and cute and cuddly as the next person! 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:12 pm
User Image

You know, I found this additional gem in another journal entry of hers.

Quote:
Not true. I do get along with Pagans. While we have our clashes, I DO get along with Pagans. In fact, the only group of people I really have a hard time getting along with are Atheists. It could be because they refuse to be on any kind of level with you and refuse to accept anything you say. Of course, this can be anybody. I've just noticed that it comes heavily from Atheists, along with this twisted kind of anger and hatred. It's so painfully obvious that their hatred is, in part, of supernatural causes, and yet that they don't see it is nearly maddening.

So, basically you'll play nice with anyone who disagrees with you as long as that person believes in deities? Atheists apparently aren't real people! Thought that you all might care to know. XD

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Ozraptor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:36 am
If we aren't real people, then what are we? razz  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:35 pm
It would seem to me that the writer of that entry either has been force fed that information from his or her parents, or simply wants to base her judgment of Atheism on a few experiences with atheists.

In real life, there are plenty of people just like that, or who think that way even when they have nothing to base it off of. It reminds me of my step-father.

Sanguvixen

Missuhs Bunneh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:49 pm
Curiouser and curiouser! I think that people should stop generalizing other people, unless they already have stopped generalizing people :3
But don't Christians emit irony...nay, they emit contradictions, oui? I mean, the bible is seen to some to be read metaphorically, except it's the word of god, so whatever he says goes, right? And some people say that god doesn't need to prove himself, why should they prove god to those who aren't of the same faith they are?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:08 am
What an idiot. Spewing the same filth that has probably been force-fed to her from birth.  

PathlessPlot

KitCatbartender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:51 pm
that's just sad. that anyone could be so deluded that they feel not only a need to make up a helpful diety but also to put down anyone who tries to help him see that there are other ways of looking at the world.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 am
That person could easily be dismissed by the rest of the faithful.
It is best not to find the opponents weaknesses, but their strengths and attack those.

This person is a weakness, not because they seek to put people down, but because they fail so utterly and completely at it.

Oh, the irony that this person talks about atheists being in some sense or other ironic because they don't recognise the supernatural when it seems the christian in question does not know how to use the word and concept of irony!

Wait, that isn't ironic at, just crap.

Damn.

The person sucks. If you find someone who says pretty much the same thing but, well, eloquently, actually explains their position, tries to prove it, that would be better. They are putting effort into it and actually care, rather than 'oh the ironicly inappropriate use of the word irony!'  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Deaths asistant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:18 pm
That is... strange, obviously the person hasnt talked to many atheist, most are nice and accepting but when someone starts saying crap like that then I can see why they would be mean to them. Then they cant say we dont have morals, we dont need a religion to have morals, nobody gets morals from religion just restrictions, our parents give us morals. They are the real jerk because ranting on Atheism when you havent been an atheist is just stupid, most of us dont go around telling people that they are jerks when you dont even know who they are, also they cant say they have morals when they go around talking bad about things they know nothing about, I cant say they are stupid and a complete a** because I dont know them and then I would be no better then them. What a bunch of crap... stressed  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 pm
I love people like that.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 pm
Gimme the username, I have some serious talk to do >:l

What a jerk.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:14 am
I don't know which is worse; the narrow-mindedness of this journal or the incorrect usage of the word irony.
MY EYES, THEY BLEED.

Edit: When I first saw this topic, I thought it said 'Christian Condensation.' xd Didn't know people could evaporate...  

Skyler Crouse

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:57 pm
Christian condensation....
That works.
Put up an atheist forum, and shortly after, you will have believers, fundy or not, clinging to it trying to show you the error of your ways or at least that not all faithful are bad. Just like the water clinging to the outside of a cold can of coke, or whatever your carbonated beverage of choice is.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff