Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Beijing Olympics 2008 :: Debate Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Hi everyone~

I was researching my debate topic just now ("This house would not allow countries with poor human rights records to host the Olympics") and I found this article~ (it's quite long.. I'll quote some important parts and add my views)

Article

Quote:
Here we go again: Beijing is trying to get the Olympic Games, for 2008. In the early '90s, they made an all-out effort to win the Games for 2000, losing out by a hair to Sydney. Now they are the clear front-runner; a decision is expected next summer. The Chinese insist aggressively that the 2008 Games are their due. So it is time to consider, once more, whether the Games-which are extremely important to much of the world-should be staged in a totalitarian capital.

That was the opening paragraph. Losing out by a hair to Sydney? Know why? Cause Sydney BRIBED two of the African countries to vote for them.

Beijing is totalitarian? Since when? I don't seem to remember that..

Quote:
Wei brings up-as do many others-the specter of Berlin '36. These were, of course, the Hitler Games. The standard American view of these Games is that they blew up in Hitler's face thanks to the historic performance of the (black) U.S. track-and-field star Jesse Owens. This view is handed out to Americans in kindergarten along with crayons and construction paper. But it is untrue: The opportunity to host the Olympics was of great importance to Hitler and the furtherance of his regime, as scholars of the period uniformly acknowledge.

The Gong Chan Dang is comparable to Hitler's Germany now?

Are the Chinese gov't sending people off in trains to concentration camps? Are they blaming the woes of the world on one ethnicity? Are they performing experiments on live humans? I think not.

Quote:
Then there is the key question of nationalism. "If China gets the Games," says Wei, "that would inflame extreme nationalism. It would play a harmful role in the moral and spiritual lives of the people. The Party would promote itself to anti-Western elements, and it might even be encouraged to attack Taiwan." In this regard, "there is a clear parallel to Berlin-the regime would be bolder." But if Beijing were again denied the Games, would that not incite further nationalism and xenophobia? "Just the opposite," answers Wei. "The regime would have gone unrewarded. When the bad boy is not behaving himself, we should not encourage him, but find a way to tell him he is wrong."

Nationalism is harmful to the "moral and spiritual lives of the people"? WTF? How arrogant do you have to be to assume that you know what's best for 1.3 billion people? Spiritual lives of the people? If he's referring to the FLG prosecution, they are the most minute fraction of the people.. and I support getting them out of the country.. but that's another story.

Quote:
The Olympics, according to Yu, are strictly "a tool for Beijing to use. The Games give them a reason to crush Falun Gong, for example. (These are the meditators and slow-movement exercisers who so vex the Party, and who are arrested, tortured, and killed.)

Not another story, apparently~

Have they mentioned how they surrounded the Chinese equivalent to the White House without warning? Have they mentioned how the FLG followers refuse medical treatment because they believe in the miraculous healing of the leader of the cult? Have they mentioned how some practitioners have cut the stomachs of their relatives open with scissors to try to find the "law wheel"?

Quote:
They will say to people, 'We have to show the world that we are unified. You have no freedom, but we have the Olympics. So sacrifice more, be patient, and accept more people in jail.' And if people believe that having the Olympics will raise the prestige of the PRC, they will go along with it."

"No freedom"?

That was said by
Quote:
Justin Yu, a Chinese journalist working in New York.

He obviously hasn't been to China recently..

Quote:
Su Xiaokang, the Princeton, N.J.-based editor of Democratic China, an online magazine, puts it this way: "After Tiananmen Square, the government had no authority. So they had to find another source of support-that was nationalism. They made everything a matter of Chinese pride. They had lost trust, and something like the Olympics is a way of getting it back. They took Hong Kong back. They want to take Taiwan back. The Olympics would strengthen them, make them look good. That's why they want them so badly."

Oh for ******** sake (@mods - sorry about the language). Western people seem to think that Tiananmen Square is the be-all and end-all of all arguments. "China is improving." "Look at Tiananmen Sq!" "China's football is improving." "No it isn't, look at Tiananmen Sq! How can a football team sponsored by a nasty evil regime ever be better than one from a democratic nation?"

Judging China by TAM Square is like judging Britain by Margaret Thatcher.

Quote:
Of all the cities in this great, vast world, from Tipperary to Timbuktu, why the capital of Red China?

Alright, this is really annoying me now.

In case they haven't noticed, CHINA IS NOT, and I repeat NOT a true communist country.

They're still using the old fear of "communism" (I mean, in 60s' America, you could practically be arrested for wearing red)..

Quote:
Here is a first principle, a simple criterion: The Games should not be held in any country whose own people are not free to leave.

What the hell?

I left China pretty easily.

~

So, guys, opinions please? Do you think that any country has the right to judge another? Do you think the Olympics should be so politicised? Do you think that China should host the 2008 Olympiad? Why?

Do you think people should be allowed to make such blatant generalisms and stereotypes? Does this not make the western world guilty of the very thing they accuse China of so often - propaganda?

Is China now comparable to Hitler's Germany? What do you think of FLG and other such groups?

We, as young overseas Chinese, are in a unique position; we are the people who can and hopefully will change western perceptions of China before they are set too deeply. We are the ones who see both sides of the story, who have western ideas of human rights and democracy as well as pride in being Chinese and love for our country and the desire to see it grow and improve.

Should we be allowing such discrimination on an international scale against China?

Is this post too long? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:51 pm
i think that Beijing is going to host the Olympics in 2008. they have a website and everything

http://www.beijing2008.com/

mileena_07

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:34 am
Of course they are.. I mean, the vote came through in 2001~

But loads of people are... erm.. objecting. See above.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:45 am
like it's any of their damn business whether or not we can leave out own country. maybe we like it there and don't really feel like leaving. 3nodding i remember hearing from my parents that the 2004 olympics were promised to china... what happened to that? china was totalitarian? but i sorta thought china was a republic with seperate branches of gov't... hmm.... this is new. hey if they can give hitler the olympics then they can give to anyone. hey the writer reminds me of this one kid i know in my comp. graphics class. he's always trying to sound smart. yesterday he asked if i knew what country spelle shop shoppe (because i like to spell it that way) i said france ( i know stupid answer but i'm not really feeling like i wanna answer) and he said england and then i made crack about his parents and he just goes off explaining it to me. i don't really think the author knows what he's talking about. how would getting the games promote anti-Western elements? my dad says that in china America's a joke, i'm not sure about the other countries (we're prolly a joke everywhere that has money, a television and a internet connection sweatdrop ) Everything is a matter of chinese pride! omg Chinese people have a whole lotta pride. didn't matter about Tiananmen Square. (at least in my opinion) Of course we took hong kong back. we had the deal with the Bristish. the olympics would strenghten anyone and make their country look good.
to niph: lol i know i know. the evil regime one has a better coach and works longer hour than the democratic ones sitting on their a**!! (a little angry with the gov't)
con't of post
china isn't communist, well only in name. I don't think anyone fears communism anymore. It's the matrix that drives us. lol jkz. people in china aren't free to leave? my grandma's been coming back and forth pretty easily. yes your post is pretty long and we can counter it by sitting in our rooms and muttering angrily at your post. lol. jkz. Let's go find this Justin Yu and teach him a lesson. lol. jkz. didn't mean it. Though i don't think another country has the right to judge china with blatant geralism and sterotypes (from the 1900's might I add) and can't say whether or not china has a right to hold the games (plus the whole article is screaming biased. so i don't think that many people will me taking it seriously.)But too much nationalism isn't good. but we should so have the games in China. it's long over due. But don't get your hopes up high in case we don't get it. and don't kill any of the athletes!!lol jkz  

yalie5

[.Higan Bana.]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:58 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
Quote:
Here is a first principle, a simple criterion: The Games should not be held in any country whose own people are not free to leave.

What the hell?

I left China pretty easily.

That's the only thing that has caught my tiring eyes. =+= sweatdrop And yessss amen to that. Warning: adult languages?:

I ******** LEFT CHINA WITH A SINGLE SNAP OF FINGERS DAMN IT!!! WHEN THE ******** WILL THEY STOP THE ******** RETARDED STEREOTYPES ******** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhh....MUUUUUCH better now....x]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:03 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
Of course they are.. I mean, the vote came through in 2001~

But loads of people are... erm.. objecting. See above.

I exactly understand how you feel...when someone is being ******** stereotypical to your own country, it doesn't feel very good does it. stressed But...you know what...who the ******** gives a s**t for those who opposes it...as long as Beijing is holding the games FOIR SURE in 2008...nothing really matters~~ Who cares what those idiots think of China, they'll see for theirselves once they go there!!! So you don't need to worry that much. ^^ *pat pat*

sigh....

[.Higan Bana.]

[.Higan Bana.]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:06 pm
Now all we have to do is sit back on our asses and watch China win ALL the gold metals just like last year. lol 4laugh btw are any of you people going back in year 2008? I'm going back for sure after graduating from my highschool...I might even go to beijing to see the game!! whee heart  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:16 am
Hehe~

Yep, definitely going. I might sign up to see if I can do some volunteering or something at the Games.. free tickets.. ^^  

Niphredil Ithilmir

[.Higan Bana.]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:03 am
Niphredil Ithilmir
Hehe~

Yep, definitely going. I might sign up to see if I can do some volunteering or something at the Games.. free tickets.. ^^
eek THAT WOULD BE SO KEWL. Maybe I'll do that too!! So we can um...volunteer together or something. Besides, we've got "potentials" because we speak proper English. cool lol  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:13 pm
[.Higan Bana.]
Niphredil Ithilmir
Hehe~

eek THAT WOULD BE SO KEWL. Maybe I'll do that too!! So we can um...volunteer together or something. Besides, we've got "potentials" because we speak proper English. cool lol

3nodding And I do loadsa other languages too..  

Niphredil Ithilmir

Tokioka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:26 pm
ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:09 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
[.Higan Bana.]
Niphredil Ithilmir
Hehe~

Really what are they? As far as I know...the only language I know are Chinese, English, a bit of Japanese (like few words here and there xD) and some French which is useless....  

[.Higan Bana.]

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:37 am
[.Higan Bana.]
Niphredil Ithilmir
[.Higan Bana.]
Niphredil Ithilmir
Hehe~

Really what are they? As far as I know...the only language I know are Chinese, English, a bit of Japanese (like few words here and there xD) and some French which is useless....

French and Spanish, lol ^^ and French isn't useless >.< I love that language  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:55 am
Niphredil Ithilmir
French and Spanish, lol ^^ and French isn't useless >.< I love that language
Nonono..I was saying the few little french words that I know are pretty useless...since I can't really use 'em...^^;; Not the language itself lol *enviness* you know so many languages...x_x;;  

[.Higan Bana.]

True.Mendacity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:10 pm
My mom says we're going back to China that year. If they move the Olympic games to somewhere else, I'll be SO pissed!!!!  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff