Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)
Religion and Magic Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kittykatkay08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:50 pm
Magic and Religion, same and different. While they have difference in them they still have main points that are alot a like.

Both religion and magic is a way to deal with supernatural, or explain the supernatural. They both share common consern with rituals and the priesthood. There are far more the same in each then one would think.

Faith is a common thing in both religion and magic. Although both have differences in the type of faith it is still faith. In religion it tells us to have faith in god/ the gods and his/hers powers. While magic tells us to have faith in the powers of man.

Also, religion and magic share the belive that the powers of god/gods can be trapped inside of a human body, for his/her benifit. acciomplished by means of offerings, sacrifices, or another ritual, to ensure the aid of god/the gods.

There are also a difference in the two. magic tells humans thatit can try to manipulate the super natures. Religion on the other hand tells us that they are superer to us. Basicly, magic tells us that we are stronger then nature, while in religion nature rules us.

One of the biggist differences between the two is insticts. Religion tells us that we have to overcomeour baser insticts to beable to reach the sprirtual. Note; not all religions. While magic understand these insticts and tries to develop and blend then into a mighty unit called willpower.

(I hate the fact I can't use tab on gaia crying )  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:34 pm
Sorry, kitty, but I have to say I think you're making far too many broad generalizations in your post. If you were more specific with religions and types of magic, you would have one hell of a post there. Feel free to use examples where they're needed. You're definately onto something though.  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Talonis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:23 am
EladrinStarmist
Sorry, kitty, but I have to say I think you're making far too many broad generalizations in your post. If you were more specific with religions and types of magic, you would have one hell of a post there. Feel free to use examples where they're needed. You're definately onto something though.

yeah am in agreement, and:

"There are also a difference in the two. magic tells humans thatit can try to manipulate the super natures. Religion on the other hand tells us that they are superer to us. Basicly, magic tells us that we are stronger then nature, while in religion nature rules us. "

sorry but i just cant agree with that  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:41 am
You know... you yeally know, right..? that magic is an extremely crude term? If you speak of magic as in the Wiccan religion, it is a religion. If you speak of magic as in Chaos Magic, it is, still, a religion. If you speak of Harry Potter, and most literature, it is Magic, yet it is entirely fictional. Someone could be a Wiccan and not practice 'Wiccan Magic'  

Akuneko

kittykatkay08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:17 am
I'm soo freaking sorry that I tried! you don't have to make fun of my spelling and gammer. I know I have them, and I know I make alot of typos. You know what I'm soo freaking sorry Akuneko that in all the damn booksI looked through called it magic!!! You know what? I can't help the fact that it's called that! next time I just won't post enything!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:24 pm
You're attempt at a great topic hasn't gone unnoticed, we're just saying that you could try to be a bit more specific, that's all. Don't give up. I like hearing from you. ^^ This is a good thread you've started. Magic and religion are very much alike but at the same time very different. For some people, the two go hand in hand, and for others they never mix. Anyone care to share their thoughts on that?  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

giniro ookami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:11 am
*sigh* I hate gaia sometimes too, cause I just had a nice long post and gaia ate it sad

Oh well I'll type it again later I guess for now a quick summery.

Prayer and Magic:

You can not compare religion and magic because magic is a tool of religion.
Better to compare Prayer and Magic.

Prayer and Magic as defined by the Roman Catholic Church.

I'll edit and type this up again in proper form, but I need sleep first. So just give me a few hours ok?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:24 am
I disagree that magic is simply a tool of religion. There are a lot of practictioners of magic who aren't religious in any way, shape or form. For them, magic is simple a tool for energy manipulation and has nothing to do with any faith. A simple kitchen witch such as myself doesn't always connect her magic to a religious ceremony.  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Dust.And.Echoes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:27 pm
I pratice magic, but I don't have a religion at all. I study all religions.... I don't follow or practice them. The only thing I stick to is my magic. I say I'm pagan, but for lack of a defined religion. I am in the practice of studying Shamanism, which is kind of a religion* that uses magic. I guess those are just some examples...

*i used religion as a lack of a better word  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:43 pm
kittykatkay08
I'm soo freaking sorry that I tried! you don't have to make fun of my spelling and gammer. I know I have them, and I know I make alot of typos. You know what I'm soo freaking sorry Akuneko that in all the damn booksI looked through called it magic!!! You know what? I can't help the fact that it's called that! next time I just won't post enything!
hey it's okay like i said in my earlier posts just because i'm young doesn't mean i can't help with stuff so if you need help with this forum tell me and I will do everything i can if you want my help just pm me okay

p.s. i'm not trying to be sarcastic it's just this is one of the few things i'm good at and i heart helping with this type of stuff  

Tenrou29

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:42 pm
Dust.And.Echoes.
I pratice magic, but I don't have a religion at all. I study all religions.... I don't follow or practice them. The only thing I stick to is my magic. I say I'm pagan, but for lack of a defined religion. I am in the practice of studying Shamanism, which is kind of a religion* that uses magic. I guess those are just some examples...

*i used religion as a lack of a better word

I'd definately say that I dont' follow a religion, but that I have faith. Magic is a part of that faith, but it's not intrinsic to it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:48 am
I'm not a-religious. I think organized religion is the evil.

I, however, have a deep spiritualism... Or whatever the word is.

Thing is, while i don't go to church or pray "as they teach you in sunday school", i however, seem to have some kind of relation with god... He's mi compadrito :>

Heh, i dunno. I just don't see much anything "holy" or "special" about this whole business... It's just normal and simple. We like to make things complicated, though..  

Zadkiel

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:24 pm
Zadkiel
I'm not a-religious. I think organized religion is the evil.

I, however, have a deep spiritualism... Or whatever the word is.

Thing is, while i don't go to church or pray "as they teach you in sunday school", i however, seem to have some kind of relation with god... He's mi compadrito :>

Heh, i dunno. I just don't see much anything "holy" or "special" about this whole business... It's just normal and simple. We like to make things complicated, though..

You don't see anything holy or special about being able to effect change in the world simply by using your own will, either through spells or prayer or a combination of both? Interesting. Anyone care to comment?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:58 am
Being a Chrisitan Witch, I disagree that
Quote:
There are also a difference in the two. magic tells humans thatit can try to manipulate the super natures. Religion on the other hand tells us that they are superer to us. Basicly, magic tells us that we are stronger then nature, while in religion nature rules us.

To me, magic is not tied to rituals or invoking deities, I have prayer for that. To me magic is simply energy manipulation and card readings (though I always ask God and Goddess to guide me when I work). It is not the manipulation of the supernatural, but rahter the manipulation of the energies that are the effects of the supernatural. In addition, many religions do not acknowledge nature's supremacy over mankind (Christianity being one of them). Also, magic, to me, is not about overcoming nature, it is about becoming at peace with it. There can be no lordship between creation, no 'I am greater than you for ____ reason".  

Niharana

Maewyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:55 pm
giniro ookami
*sigh* I hate gaia sometimes too, cause I just had a nice long post and gaia ate it sad

Oh well I'll type it again later I guess for now a quick summery.

Prayer and Magic:

You can not compare religion and magic because magic is a tool of religion.
Better to compare Prayer and Magic.

Prayer and Magic as defined by the Roman Catholic Church.

I'll edit and type this up again in proper form, but I need sleep first. So just give me a few hours ok?

one could argue that religion is a by-product of magic...
The original people would have seen nearly every thing as mystical(stars, odd plants, fire) As a result of this(and pscho tropic mushrooms) they would worship diferent things tus forming god(s/ess{es}) As time when on they would repeat these stories, forming myths that would basicly be word of mouth doctrines of their Geocentric religion.

As far as prayer VS magic again i would side with magic as it seems to encompasses prayer. Prayer is just (to me) a state of gnosis/void/meditation a reaching out of intent with or with out the aid of god(s/ess{es}) made up or real, to force/bend/coax/reveil bits of reality/eather/mater/time/space/nothing/everything  
The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games