College people in Music

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:28 am
This is a forum thats particulary important to me considering im a music major and high school band is a thing of the past for me. I dont know how popular this forum will be though. This is for all the kids who are now either majoring in music in college or just playing music while in college. We can talk about anything from recitals, other performances, theory.., different colleges, ect.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:37 pm
I have something to say about theory. First, I don't see the importance in learning anything past tonal music. Second, as I have confirmed today, moveable do solfege is stupid. My theory teacher said that moveable do helps you "feel" where the notes are. I do feel where particular notes are, but if the solfege always changes, the same syllable will not always feel the same. Moveable do is ok when there is no chromaticism, but when "fi," "si," "ra," and especially "di (I lose the key completely when I encounter this)" are involved, I am concentrating on which note is which solfege instead of what the pitch of an F really is. Not that perfect pitch is great, but I could hear music better in my head before I sight-sing it if there was just some consistency.  

musiknerd

StratMan725

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:47 pm
First off I'd like to say that I'm a classical guitar major and recitals usually freak me out, since I'm the only one on the stage. I got to say that I'm particularly fond of my ear training class. My professor is hilarious and an absolutely brilliant piano player. He'll always improvise accompaniments over our sight singing examples. One thing I'm scarred about this semester is the fact that I have to write a Sonata for my theory class, because I've never wrote anything before. I hope that goes alright. Sorry for the obnoxiously long rant.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm
I'm in college and I just started music theory this semester.

I have to state that for the first time in Music Theory, I'm so lost. Right now we are working on V7 chords. It's not the actual dominant 7th chords that confuse me themselves. It's my lack of ability to identify their inversions aurally, I know that I should try to pay attention to the bass line, but I get so anxious that I mess it up! Oy,

Sorry about that! Just needed to rant! XD  

Rosa Cantante

6,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 am
it trips me up too. i had a tutor who said how i should listen to the base line but he wasn't very helpful--just banged on the piano mostly. but it comes over time with constant practice. (i hate listening for inversions) xp  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:38 pm
musiknerd
I have something to say about theory. First, I don't see the importance in learning anything past tonal music. Second, as I have confirmed today, moveable do solfege is stupid. My theory teacher said that moveable do helps you "feel" where the notes are. I do feel where particular notes are, but if the solfege always changes, the same syllable will not always feel the same. Moveable do is ok when there is no chromaticism, but when "fi," "si," "ra," and especially "di (I lose the key completely when I encounter this)" are involved, I am concentrating on which note is which solfege instead of what the pitch of an F really is. Not that perfect pitch is great, but I could hear music better in my head before I sight-sing it if there was just some consistency.

I really disagree with your opinion of post-tonal theory. New music is one of the most important things to understand in this century - it completely changed the world. No piece started the same riot that Stravinksy's "Rite of Spring" did, and few pieces are more moving than Messiaen's "Quartet for the End of Time". The discarding of tonality has created so many sounds and colors that would otherwise be unknown to us. If we didn't develop post-tonal technique, we would be cycling through the same pieces over and over. It's just what happened when the Baroque moved to the Classical, then to the Romantic. We are lucky enough to notice and react to the shift in genre. Without movement, there can be no advancement.

Also keep in mind how *relatively speaking* young of an art form post-tonal music is. Only now are we performing, respecting and understanding pieces that were written 50 years ago. In Classical times, you only knew Bach's music if you studied with someone who knew him. We are lucky, in our day and age, to be able to be in quick contact with composers, and understand our performance practices based on current performances instead of what is summarized from our time period hundreds of years from now.

I don't have much of an opinion on Solfege, though. I'm not a singer wink and we used scale degrees/neutral syllables in all of my Ear Training courses.  

adjust_the_sails

musiknerd

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm
adjust_the_sails
musiknerd

I really disagree with your opinion of post-tonal theory. New music is one of the most important things to understand in this century - it completely changed the world. No piece started the same riot that Stravinksy's "Rite of Spring" did, and few pieces are more moving than Messiaen's "Quartet for the End of Time". The discarding of tonality has created so many sounds and colors that would otherwise be unknown to us. If we didn't develop post-tonal technique, we would be cycling through the same pieces over and over. It's just what happened when the Baroque moved to the Classical, then to the Romantic. We are lucky enough to notice and react to the shift in genre. Without movement, there can be no advancement.

Also keep in mind how *relatively speaking* young of an art form post-tonal music is. Only now are we performing, respecting and understanding pieces that were written 50 years ago. In Classical times, you only knew Bach's music if you studied with someone who knew him. We are lucky, in our day and age, to be able to be in quick contact with composers, and understand our performance practices based on current performances instead of what is summarized from our time period hundreds of years from now.

I don't have much of an opinion on Solfege, though. I'm not a singer wink and we used scale degrees/neutral syllables in all of my Ear Training courses.

I enjoy listening to atonal music, but as an undergrad music education major, I do not know why I have to learn the theory behind it (otherwise known as Contemporary Trends in my school). Even if I teach high school, I will not be teaching set classes and tone rows. If I was a composition major, I would feel differently. The comment that I made was posted before I took atonal theory and "advanced" sight-singing. I will admit, trends was pretty easy, but I'm not going to use it in my field. Atonal sight-singing was fascinating though. We did use fixed-do solfege for this class, and we used intervals also (I2, I5, etc).

I do like Stravinsky, Copland, Bartok, Debussy, Britten, John Adams, and even some Berg, but I never want to analyze their music/compose like them (or compose at all really). I am taking music since 1900 as a music history course next semester, and I am not opposed to taking it like I was opposed to atonal theory.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:47 pm
Well, Rite of Spring is neo-classical, the harmony is still very tonal, there is a tonal center. Presence of disonance does not equate to lack of consonance, just so we're clear. smile Also, it was the ballet and the combo of the new music that pissed everyone off, mostly the Russian Pagan Sacrificing going on with the dancers. I would know this having read his memoirs....and playing the bassoon at conservatory. Yes, I am a huge nerd. It's part of my territory. razz

Theory is a bummer sometimes, but it's pretty helpful. I like to think of conservatory as boot camp sometimes. They are training us to be the most fit musical soldiers we can be. Close combat training (lessons), defensive chemical warfare (making reeds), firearm training (keyboard class), target practice (sight-singing), etc. Ha! Funny. Classical majors have it easy in terms of theory. Boyfriend is on top of the jazz scene fresh out of NEC grad, his knowledge of theory BLOWS MY MIND. I understand almost everything he talks about but his fluency is amazing. It wouldn't matter who it was, just because I adore him it doesn't demean the ridiculousness of the musical knowledge. The thing is, every really talented jazzer has a background like that. We're never really pushed to know that stuff, we don't have to improvise and the music we play doesn't always call for that stuff.

About recitals and nerves? Just play for people. I also record myself when I practice sometimes. I also....practice.....an effing lot. David McGill of the CSO (chicago) said in response to audition nerves that the best thing to do is be so well rehearsed that not even nerves will hinder your ease in playing. Makes sense, right? I still get nervous for my teacher, but that's because I play something new every week. I don't get as nervous for recitals, I mean I DO--I am human. But performance practice is just as good as any practice, just as necessary.

I LOVE MUSIC HGRLHSUGILRSEIL.

That is all. <3  

Eziana Altaire

6,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:04 pm
Mini rant: evil My ear training professor gave me a B- because I didn't show up to every class (or laugh at his jokes). Totally wack. I had to work on one of the days for the classes and I told him AND my advisor and they both essentially ignored me. And I'm going to pick my job that helps pay my tuition over sitting in a class and risk not returning back, um, because I couldn't pay my tuition!

He's an @$$ with a capital [at symbol], and my advisor is too distracted by her obligations to care. But, alas, it just proves that grades amount to a hill of beans. Luckily when we audition no one will ask, so what's your GPA?

About the only redeeming thing here. I'll try to avoid grad schools with asinine grading policies and self-righteous professors.

Rant done. sweatdrop  
College Music Chat

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff