What college do you go to. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 am
Tell us about the college you go to, what your majoring in specifically. Like what instruement or voice. What groups do you play in, maybe even what classes your taking. This is so we can get to know each other better.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:51 am
I've just recently been accepted into the Florida State University school of music. The 3rd largest music school in the country. I'll be starting in the Fall 2010.. I cant wait.. im extremely excited. Im majoring in music ed with oboe. whee

I'll be transfering over from a community college I couldnt wait to escape from. I was like one of 4 instrumentalists..

I have orientation in 2 weeks. ^^  

`Kel`
Captain

BassBoy1313

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:37 pm
I'm a freshman at Snow college. I'm majoring in clarinet, only because they won't let me major my bass clarinet. I'm the first chair Bass Clarinet player in Wind Ensemble, and last chair Clarinet player in Symphonic Band. Woot woot go college kids!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:44 pm
I goto Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada. This is my lastest year of music, possibly doing my Master's in Musicology following this, but we'll see.

How is FSU for music, Kel? My family's winter home is near Florida Atlantic's campus, so I did a little research on their music (thought about taking a little vacation exchange, lol) but I know nothing of Florida State.  

liebestraume

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:42 pm
FSU has a huge music program. From what I understand it has one of the best if not the best of the universities in Florida. I have a best friend who is a major UF fan (FSU's biggest rivals). Even he admits FSU kicks butt with its music program. I couldnt tell you details though as I dont go there, but I hear its highly esteemed for its music program.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:29 pm
Yeah, you'll have to let me know how it turns out. I suppose I'm mostly curious whether it's more pop/jazz focused or classical based, every school seems to veer one way or another.  

liebestraume

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 am
Im pretty confident its more classical based. They do a concert every year that I used to go to that features every instrument and music program in the school. They call it the prism concert. The different sections would appear in different areas of the auditorium and do something cool. Like the lights would go out and all of a sudden a million flute players would be lining the aisles playing a fluty sounding piece. Then when that would be over the trumpets would appear overhead on the balcony or something. It was amazing. They had everything from people playing the mallets to people playing those shells you can blow into.

They probably have a jazz band too.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:47 am
Well, best of luck with your audition! I don't know what level your oboe playing is at, but just give 'em your show off pieces, maybe even an English Horn piece just to mix it up (do you do that Dvorak solo? The New World Symphony?).

Any theory and ear training you do before you get there is just a great bonus!  

liebestraume

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:14 pm
Thanks

and I've actually played the new world but my teacher had the solo xp Its actually not that bad of a solo, its more of the stamina thats difficult. That a good idea though thanks.

Im working on one of Albinoni's oboe concertos right now and just performed the 3rd mov in a recital today. Im really working on it for a competition my schools going to next month. Winners get scholarships so I hope I win. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:21 pm
I am a vocal major, but I also play piano. I accompany for vocalists (mostly). I go to Truman State University. The music department is tiny but I enjoy it. It is like one big family. Right now I have finished with theory and aural training. I am currently in counterpoint, and music history I.  

Pax_Veniaque

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:04 am
Yeah the music dept at GCCC is is also tiny but we are also like a family. We call all our teachers by thier first names. Mrs. Judy, Rusty, Scott, Sherri, Rosie. It's kind of nice having the closeness.

We consit of mainly vocalists with a few of us instrumentalists. But were pretty good for being so few. My friend Erich recently got an audition to Julliard for the piano. We have 2 trumpets, 1 clarinet, 1 oboe (me), 5 guitars, 5 or 6 piano, 1 violin, Our teacher Rusty plays the bassoon when we need him. We have numerable vocalists though. Enough to perform Pergolesi's Magnificat. Which we had violin, basson, oboe, and piano accompany.

I have my Juries in less than an hour so I have to go.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:21 pm
Pax_Veniaque
I am a vocal major, but I also play piano. I accompany for vocalists (mostly). I go to Truman State University. The music department is tiny but I enjoy it. It is like one big family. Right now I have finished with theory and aural training. I am currently in counterpoint, and music history I.

Ha. Working on my take home fugue as we speak! GL on that!  

liebestraume

Wings

Invisible Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:49 am
I graduated from UBC in Canada last May. The technical name of my major is General Studies (Secondary Education) with a concentration in piano. My non-music friends usually have no idea what that means, and so I just tell them I'm a music major and I play piano. XD

The music department here is tiny as well, but I liked the close-knit atmosphere. I'd never get to know anyone otherwise since I'm so slow in warming up to people. ^^;  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:58 am
Well, technically I'm not in college at the moment. I was studying at Vancouver Community College last year, ear training, theory and music history stuff. I'm a classical guitarist, but I'm not sure if I want to lean towards jazz or classical, since I thoroughly enjoy both styles of music, so I guess this is kind of a critical time in my education. If I decide to go with jazz, I'd really like to get into Capilano University, since they pretty much have the best jazz programme in B.C. and I also have a friend who is a 3rd year jazz student as well. I also take private lessons at the Vancouver Academy of music.  

Kazikli Voyvoda

liebestraume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:06 am
Wings
I graduated from UBC in Canada last May. The technical name of my major is General Studies (Secondary Education) with a concentration in piano. My non-music friends usually have no idea what that means, and so I just tell them I'm a music major and I play piano. XD

The music department here is tiny as well, but I liked the close-knit atmosphere. I'd never get to know anyone otherwise since I'm so slow in warming up to people. ^^;

Lucky Ducky! Doesn't John Estacio teach composition there?  
College Music Chat

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff