Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
x3 Knittings hard. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:32 pm
Knitting is hard.

I've been trying to teach myself how to knit, and I think I'm finally able to get one row done. x3, i am at the moment, attempting to make a scarf. x3 I think its going ok, a little messy looking, but at least I can actually knit a row now. XD

Anyone know of any easy beginner projects?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:04 am
You fall hard, You fall deep
Even when you're awake, You look half asleep
Do you even know what you did last summer?
Wandering around deaf, dumb and blind
With the girls all hanging around you

If you choose what you want to knit on this site, it'll show you different patterns and saw whether it's beginning, intermediate, advanced or between the two.
KnittingHelp.com
Hope it helps! <3

Is that no or yes? We'll have to guess.
Mysterious eyes let you see what you want.
Half the time you didn't know any better
But half the time you didhanging around
Like tomorrow doesn't apply to you

emergency conspiracy

4,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100

Evagaline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:16 pm
A basic scarf is actually a pretty easy beginning project. If you're looking for something a little different, try the yarn brand websites (lion brand, red heart, etc). Often they'll have patterns that are coded with their degree of difficulty. And if you make a few mistakes, don't worry about it. Behind every great knitter are some really wonky first attempts. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:25 pm
Good beginner projects:

wristlets: keeps your wrists warm (they really work) short and fast - you can make squares and sew them into rings

hats: I loves hats. They're quick and easy

discloths: make a square and scrub away

bookmarks: fast and very easy

scarves: use a chunky yarn to make it go fast!

Good luck!!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

KariudoMegami

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:54 am
It gets much, much easier as you do it. Most of the people I've taught to knit have problems in the beginning, as they figure out how to hold the yarn and the needles comfortably but become proficient in short order as they practice.

(the projects above all look loverly. Hat-wise, you can knit them on straights, rather than figuring out double-points immediately. (I don't really know much about circulars, as I don't use 'em.). -you knit a rectangle, and when you get to the top of the hat, you gather it. Then sew the two short sides of the rectangle together, and you get a hat.-)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:36 am
I have taught many people how to knit and crochet and my best is advice is even if its hard, and/or you hate it and/or you want to quit don't. Most everyone feels that way at first and sometimes at other points in their knitting lives. I do sometimes still and i have been knitting since I was 8. that was 16 years ago.

What a lot of people don't realize is that bags are super easy projects if you make them that way. Just knit as many stitches as you want the purse wide, then go crazy. Keep knitting until the length is about double what you want the purse to be. All you need to do is fold it in half and use some yarn and a yarn needle to sew up the sides. It's not the most "store-bought" looking purse you can make. But it gets you making something super cool that looks way more tricky than it really is. If you want to put on hard, non knitted handles what I used to do was grab them and set them on top of the lip of the bag and then tie it on with a bunch of short pieces of yarn and make fringe all the way around. Just make sure it's all tight and secure. It ends up looking pretty neat. Or, you can knit a thin rectangle to use as a strap. I usually sew that to the inside of the purse and make sure all the sides are anchored down. You can throw a cotton lining in the bag if you are feeling fancy, but that can get a bit complicated sometimes when you are just starting out.

I hope you keep knitting and don't give it! It does get a lot easier!  

Drowtung

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:40 am
Ok, you guys.I decided to start out with a simple scarf as my first project, but i messed up and had to start again. I'm doing it smaller than the first time I started it.Anyways, I have a question: the last stitch on the row, the one where I start each new row, is loose, is it supposed to be loose, or am I doing something wrong?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:08 pm
Kay-VW
Ok, you guys.I decided to start out with a simple scarf as my first project, but i messed up and had to start again. I'm doing it smaller than the first time I started it.Anyways, I have a question: the last stitch on the row, the one where I start each new row, is loose, is it supposed to be loose, or am I doing something wrong?

XD, I must be doing something wrong, considering I started out with only 8 stitches and now I have 10. sweatdrop Oh, well. it still looks good so far. x3  

Kay-VW

KariudoMegami

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:24 am
Kay-VW
Kay-VW

XD, I must be doing something wrong, considering I started out with only 8 stitches and now I have 10. sweatdrop Oh, well. it still looks good so far. x3
Don't worry about it, every person I've ever taught to knit has done that at first, you stop accidentally increasing as you practice more. As for the last stitch being loose, it's hard to say without seeing, but I know my knitting does that if I don't snug it up a bit. It's never caused problems for me, though.*shrug*  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:49 pm
I agree with Kariudo, most of the time I have to give a gentle tug on the yarn to tighten my final stitch on each row. It's in its nature not to be tight. It has no other stitch to anchor it done and make it secure so it goes a little willy nilly.

I was just texting a new student of mine about an hour ago. he is having the same increasing problem as you. Almost everyone does, I did. A lot of time you will wrap your yarn over the needle (Yarn over) twice or do some other step in a direction other than what is supposed to be done. this can also cause you to add a stitch. Also, if you are working with bulky or "wispy" yarn you could be splitting the fibers and making two stitches out of one loop. I used to do that. It really depends and it would take an experienced knitter sitting next to you to know exactly what is going wrong.

All I can say is keep going no matter what. You will get better and all the weird problems will eventually work themselves out and go away.

Good luck!  

Drowtung

elletricity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 pm
leg warmers are pretty easy (: good luck on your projects!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:14 pm
I've been knitting for over a year and I still sometimes have issues with the last stitch looking a bit loose. It takes a good bit of practice to get over that, but I've never had issues with affecting a pattern or the look of the final project. So relax, have fun, and don't knit of front of cats that steal shiny things! (My brothers cats steal my knitting whenever it touches the couch/floor/not my hands. They even team up on me to achieve theft of my extra needle when I'm knitting cables ^^)  

Silver Mist

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:31 am
Some people tend to accidentally bring the yarn over the needle rather than around at the end of the row, thus giving you two loops from the last stitch rather than one and making you increase.

One really quick beginner's project is a basic pair of slippers, which is the first thing I ever made. Using worsted weight yarn (like Red Heart Super Saver) and size 8 needles, cast on 25-28 stitches, depending on the width of your foot. Knit until the slipper is as long as your foot is, then cut a long end, draw through all the stitches, and pull them tight. Stitch up the edges until the toe is as deep as you want, and then stitch up the cast-on edge to form the heel. If you want, you can add a pom-pom or tassel, but I leave mine plain.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:59 pm
A simple scarf is the best thing to start out with, because it gives you plenty of practice and is super easy. Don't get discouraged; my first scarf is so curvy from increasing and descreasing stitches it almost looks like I meant for it to be that way. 3nodding  

-knitting-pixie-chick-

Whats down

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:03 pm
Don't worry! You will catch on fast. My 11 year old sister just learned saturday night and she is already making a scarf its her first and she has a few big holes in it. That's ok. Look on directions online. Good luck!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff