Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Unknown Wives Club Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ladari

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:16 pm
Okay, this is something that drives me crazy whenever I read the Silmarillion.

WHO WAS EVERYONE'S WIFE?

I know a lot of people might find this rather off topic and silly, but I just have to know. I mean, half the people in the house of Finwe had kids- but no wives? No girlfriend? No random elven "lady"? Where were all the mothers in this?

For example, one that I know many people wonder about is Legolas' mother. She's virtually non-existent in the books (LOTR, Hobbit, Sil, Lost Tales, Unfinished Tales). And the one I would love to know about is Curufin's wife. He has Celebrimbor- and no wife? (And we know with his temper he probably wouldn't have been too keen on adoption...)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this. Please respond!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:44 pm
Not many of the wives are really mentioned at all. Unfortunately, all my Tolkien books are currently at my house, which is being renovated, so I don't have access to them to check @__@

Basically, it seemed that Tolkien only delved into the depth of a character if they had an important role to play. If the wife wasn't someone who accomplished a lot herself, then it seems that she was left out completely.

In my memories, at least. Anyone else want to say something? *prods the dead guild members*  

Zurgi

Falathrim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:43 pm
Curufin was married in Valinor. His wife did not come with him into exile, although his son, Celebrimbor, did.

Maglor and Caranthir were also wed.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:43 pm
Falathrim
Curufin was married in Valinor. His wife did not come with him into exile, although his son, Celebrimbor, did.

Where did you find this out? I don't recall seeing it in the Sil or Unfinished Tales.  

Ladari

Ithilvalan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:34 pm
Maglor was wed???????????

I want to know Fingolfin's wife. One of the few I can recall is not a wife but more of a "beloved" and that was AmariĆ«, I think, for Finrod.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:01 pm
Ladari
Falathrim

Where did you find this out? I don't recall seeing it in the Sil or Unfinished Tales.

HoME... 12, I think. It made me very happy. 3nodding And yet unimaginably sad.

Amarie alternates between being a beloved and a wife depending on what you're reading.  

Rhaella

SYFFER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:37 am
Wives? What wives? You have your facts mixed up my dear.

You see Elves are hermaphodites and therefore are both male and female but are usualy considered males. The males lay eggs every 50 years which hatch if they are not eaten by wargs and/or Orcs.
I wonder if posting alot of bullshit makes you officialy funny.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:05 pm
exclaim lol ewwwww that's not true xp  

churrlo

Falathrim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:56 pm
SYFFER
Blah.

You are right.

Bullshit does not make you funny.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:14 pm
LMAO  

churrlo

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:32 am
NOooooooo elves are human too...no wait thats wrong....they're mammals then....that sounds wrong too.....they're magical mammals...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:06 pm
LOL that works haha  

churrlo

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:53 am
Wow, that does sound weird even now.....  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:32 pm
I agree blaugh  

churrlo

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:11 am
Actually (reply to the first post), I think only the important ones were mentioned. I remember seeing somewhere the mentioning of wives and not husbands. By the way, who was Morwen's husband?  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff