Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Music? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you get turned away from bands if they are Christian?
  Yes...-_-
  Nuuu!
  Sometimes. : /
View Results

Marukar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 am

User Image

So I always get turned away from bands when I find out they are Christian bands...-__-

Do you guys know of any atheist bands?
I have never heard of any
xD

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:25 pm
Not usually.
Music is usually interpreted as you see it, and I usually don't see too many references in christian music unless I'm looking.
But there is that church-style music.
I never could stand that; no real rhythm, always seemed like they took some words that praised Jesus and threw them in there.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Lemon Jally

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:33 pm
I hate christian rock, but I normally don't let religious beliefs hinder my music choices.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:50 pm
I don't usually let religious beliefs affect my taste in music...although most Christian Metal bands suck because they all sound the same and just do a lot of growling and screaming.

Anyway getting back on topic...there are some bands out there that do have some anti-religious overtones in their music. Of course since I mostly listen to metal, these four are all that I really know off the top of my head.

Cellador
Fear Factory
Arch Enemy
Napalm Death  

Arios V

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:37 pm
Ok I have to ask, what would a atheist band sing about?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:03 am
I used to start disliking Christian bands.

Now I just listen to them without thinking about it.
Sometimes a friend will point it out to me, getting all confused about me being such a hardcore Atheist yet the music I listen to mentioning a god.

Being turned off by a music for mentioning a god or the bible is pretty ridiculous.
Since technically, Atheist music is everything that doesn't fall into that category, you could pick on Christians for listening to Atheist music.  

[The Looney Bin]

Marukar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:52 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
Ok I have to ask, what would a atheist band sing about?

User Image

Lol.
Anything that's not religious.
xD

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:56 am
User Image

Greydon Square is an atheist rapper. He sings about free thinking and certain ridiculous notions that religious people have.

I get turned off from Christian bands more often than not, simply because songs whose lyrics are overtly religious tend to be pushy and/or mind-numbingly bad. I do like some Christian bands like Relient K and Lunahalo, though I do disagree with most of their lyrics, because I enjoy their music and I find their lyrics inoffensive and non-stupid. I also like traditional hymns, Gregorian chant, and 16th century church music like that written by Palestrina, Josquin des Prez, and other similar composers.

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Elanchana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:40 pm
Hm... maybe try Oasis? The most prominent members of the band are both atheists, and some of the lyrics are really philosophical. They never made any songs on religious subjects (I think) until their latest album, and those are probably supposed to be ironic. This song is pretty atheistic: "Belief does not existence make -- it's only in your mind."

I only know of one "fanatically" Christian singer, and it seems that if you take out certain words and such in her songs, they could just become regular love songs for anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:31 pm
I don't liken to Christan anything bands, or really anything with an overtly religious or pushy message.

Bands with Germanic Pagan themes are fine by me though (yes that does include Norse Pagan), I actually find it quite interesting. There's something about Abrahamic religious that just irks me....I just like the overall tone, messages, and beliefs of Germanic Paganism better than the ones in Abrahamic religions. There's nothing that says "thou shall do this or thou shalt burn!" or "stone people if they do not respect their parents!". There are codes of ethics, but they aren't comandments. You just orientate your life around the code and live in the best you can if you want, nothing bad will happen if you don't. Personally I don't believe in Odin or anything, or any gods or dieties, I just like the aspects of Germanic Paganism better than Abrahamic religions.  

Henneth Annun

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:33 am
XWraith_LordX
I don't liken to Christan anything bands, or really anything with an overtly religious or pushy message.

Bands with Germanic Pagan themes are fine by me though (yes that does include Norse Pagan), I actually find it quite interesting. There's something about Abrahamic religious that just irks me....I just like the overall tone, messages, and beliefs of Germanic Paganism better than the ones in Abrahamic religions. There's nothing that says "thou shall do this or thou shalt burn!" or "stone people if they do not respect their parents!". There are codes of ethics, but they aren't comandments. You just orientate your life around the code and live in the best you can if you want, nothing bad will happen if you don't. Personally I don't believe in Odin or anything, or any gods or dieties, I just like the aspects of Germanic Paganism better than Abrahamic religions.
User Image

I really like Asatru (Norse religion) in general. Sometimes I wish I believed in the Norse gods. XD

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:00 am
I wouldn't mind of a singer or band I liked believed in god. But if they sang songs about god I wouldn't listen to those particular songs.  

Zambimaru

KitCatbartender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:55 pm
I seem to have the same general opinion as everyone else. A christian band, as in the genre is christian, I wouldn't listen to. But a band that is made up of christian members, I wouldn't have a problem with.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:13 am
Th is something I don't understand about christian, or more accurately, 'worship' music: Why is it so s**t?
I mean, Up to a few months ago, I thought all worship music was s**t: s**t vocals, s**t musicians, s**t blending of instruments and vocals, s**t lyrics, s**t overall. Then I heard one song that was not completely s**t: The music was quiet good. I haven't heard it since and I haven't heard anything that had any decentness about it since.

What's up with that? What is it about 'worship' music that attracts s**t artists? Is it because of the restricted base of artists that shitter ones get through, or is there something more than that?  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas