Physical Trainer: Ask your questions here! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0mega_Virus
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:47 am
Since I'm compiling a bunch of knowledge together for a few people in the guild, I figured I'd let anyone who wanted to ask questions take a crack at me.

I'll be posting up some workouts, stretches, and a few other things for this thread. Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Although I am a Physical Training Leader in the Air Force, I am not a doctor or nutritionist. My advice comes from research, personal experience, and the suggestions of my peers.

So, with that, if you have any questions... fire away.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:48 am
MOBILE STRETCHES

Note: These are done when you have the room to move around (Like a basketball court or a field)

Side to Side

Jog

Knee Highs

Toe Whip

Rabbit

One/Two Legged Hops

Sprints

RESTING STRETCHES

ARMS

BACK

LEGS  

0mega_Virus
Crew

0mega_Virus
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 am
UPPER BODY WORKOUTS

PUSH-UP

Quote:
Standard:

- What muscles does this work?
* Chest, Shoulders and Tri-ceps

- How do I perform this exercise?
Step 1: Start in a kneeling position, with your hands palms down (The bottoms of your hand facing away from you). Keeping your arms straight, place your hands on the ground, no more than shoulder width apart. Raising off your knees, straighten your legs so that you balance on the balls of your toes. Your legs should be positioned no more than shoulder width apart. Your back should now be straight, and you should be balancing on only your arms and feet. This is the starting position for this exercise, and where you should rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your head looking forward, lower yourself to the ground. Your arms should bend, and your back should stay straight. Continue to lower yourself until your arms come to a 90 degree bend. After you lower yourself to this position, push yourself back up. You should only use your arms to accomplish this, keeping your back straight. Once you have pushed youself up, you will have completed 1 correct Standard Push-up.

- How much of this exercise should I do?
* That depends on the level of your upper body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of push-ups you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Push-up)

Quote:
Wide Arm:

* Chest, Shoulders, Tri-ceps and Deltoids

Step 1: Start in a kneeling position, with your hands palms down (The bottoms of your hand facing away from you). Keeping your arms straight, place your hands on the ground, no less than shoulder width apart. Raising off your knees, straighten your legs so that you balance on the balls of your toes. Your legs should be positioned no more than shoulder width apart. Your back should now be straight, and you should be balancing on only your arms and feet. This is the starting position for this exercise, and where you should rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your head looking forward, lower yourself to the ground. Your arms should bend, and your back should stay straight. Continue to lower yourself until your arms come to a 90 degree bend. After you lower yourself to this position, push yourself back up. You should only use your arms to accomplish this, keeping your back straight. Once you have pushed youself up, you will have completed 1 correct Wide-Arm Push-up.

* That depends on the level of your upper body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of push-ups you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Push-up)

Quote:
Tricep Push-ups:

* Shoulders, Tri-ceps and Deltoids

Step 1: Start in a sitting position, with your hands on the ground behind you, fingers facing the same direction as your legs (Meaning that your thumbs should be inside) Keeping your arms straight, lift your torso so that you balance on the heel of your feet. Your legs should be together, and you should be balancing so that your torso is at an incline to your heels. This is the starting position for this exercise, and where you should rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your head looking forward, lower yourself to the ground. Your arms should bend, and your back should stay straight. Continue to lower yourself, making sure that your butt does not touch the ground. Your arms should come to a 45 degree bend (Basically you should almost be touching the ground). After you lower yourself to this position, push yourself back up. You should only use your arms to accomplish this, keeping your back straight. Once you have pushed youself up, you will have completed 1 correct Tricep Push-up.

DIPS

Quote:
Dips:

* Shoulders, Tri-ceps and Chest

-Is there any equipment involved?
* A set of parallel bars, chairs, or anything that you can use to get a grip on.

Step 1: Start in a standing position, with your hands on the object your using to dip from in front of you. Keeping your legs straight, lift and bend at the knee. You should be supporting yourself with your arms, keeping them straight. Your legs should stay together. This is the starting position for this exercise, and where you should rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your head looking forward, lower yourself to the ground. Your arms should bend, and your back should stay straight. Your arms should come to a 90 degree bend. After you lower yourself to this position, push yourself back up. You should only use your arms to accomplish this, keeping your back straight. Once you have pushed youself up, you will have completed 1 correct Dip.

* That depends on the level of your upper body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of Dips you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Dip)

BURPEES

Quote:
Burpee:

* Chest, Shoulders, Tri-ceps, Theighs, Calves, Hamstrings

Step 1: Start in a standing position, with your feet not more than shoulder width apart. Your hands should be relaxed at your sides. This is the Starting Position.

Step 2: Bending down into kneeling position, with your hands palms down (The bottoms of your hand facing away from you). Keeping your arms straight, place your hands on the ground, no more than shoulder width apart. Put your legs behind you, so that your back is straight and that you balance on the balls of your toes. Your legs should be positioned no more than shoulder width apart. Your back should now be straight, and you should be balancing on only your arms and feet.

Step 3: Keeping your head looking forward, lower yourself to the ground. Your arms should bend, and your back should stay straight. Continue to lower yourself until your arms come to a 90 degree bend. After you lower yourself to this position, push yourself back up. You should only use your arms to accomplish this, keeping your back straight.

Step 4: Bring your legs back into a kneeling position. From here, jump into the air, extending your hands up into the air as you jump. Once you have landed back onto your feet, you will have completed 1 correct Standard Burpee.

* That depends on the level of your upper body/cardio strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of push-ups you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Push-up)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:50 am
LOWER BODY WORKOUTS

SIT-UP
Quote:
Standard Sit-up:

* Theighs and Upper/Mid Abdominals

Step 1: Starting in a sitting position, cross your arms over your chest. Your feet should be together, and your hands should be resting on your collarbone. Your legs should be curled up towards your chest, knees bent. This is the starting position, and where you will rest if you need to. Make sure to have something holding your ankles (Either a person, or some device that is able to do so. I.E. A bed, couch, etc.)

Step 2: Keeping your back straight, lower your upper body to the ground. Your shoulder blades should touch the ground, then using ONLY your ab muscles, pull your self back up. Your hips and back should not be used, and your elbows should make contact at your mid to upper thigh muscle. This is one completion of the correct Standard Sit-up.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of sit-ups you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Sit-up)

CRUNCHES
Quote:
Standard Crunch:

* Upper Abdominal

Step 1: Starting in a laying down position, cross your arms over your chest. Your feet should be together, and your hands should be resting on your collarbone. Your legs should be in the air, knees bent. This is the starting position, and where you will rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your legs straight, raise your upper body to your knees. Your elbows should touch at your mid to upper thigh muscle, then using ONLY your ab muscles, lower yourself back to the ground. Your hips and back should not be used, and your shoulder blades should touch the ground. This is one completion of the correct Standard Crunch.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of crunches you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of crunches)

Quote:
Bicycle Crunch:

* Upper/Mid Abdominals, Obliques

Step 1: Starting in a laying down position, place your arms behind your head. Your hands should rest on the back of your head, elbows facing outward. Your legs should be in the air, knees bent. This is the starting position, and where you will rest if you need to.

Step 2: Starting with either arm, twist your body so that your left/right elbow makes contact with your right/left knee. The side with the connecting elbow should twist, while the leg curls towards your chest. The opposite leg (the one not being touched) extends all the way out. You then twist the other way, the touching leg extending while the extended one curls to the chest. The touching elbow comes back while you twist forward with the previous elbow. This is one completion of the correct Bicycle Crunch.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of crunches you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of crunches)

Obliques
Quote:
Obliques:

* Upper/Mid Abdominals and Obliques

Step 1: Starting in a sitting position, position yourself either on your left or right side. Your feet should be together, and your hands should be resting on the back of your head. Your legs should be straight. This is the starting position, and where you will rest if you need to. Make sure to have something holding your legs (Either a person, or some device that is able to do so. I.E. A bed, couch, etc.)

Step 2: Keeping your back straight, Pull yourself up using only your ab muscles. Your legs should remain planted, and you should only bend at your waist. Lower yourself back to the ground slowly. This is one completion of the correct Oblique.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of sit-ups you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Sit-up)

Quote:
V Crunch:

* Upper/Mid Abdominals

Step 1: Starting in a laying down position, place your arms above your head. Your arms should be no more than shoulder width apart, with your palms facing away from you. Your legs should be touching each other, straight in the air. This is the starting position, and where you will rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your back straight, raise yourself forward touching your fingertips to your shins. You should ONLY be using only your abdominal muscles. After your fingertips touch, lower yourself back to the ground. Only your shoulder blades should touch the ground. This is one completion of the correct V Crunch.

MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS

Quote:
Mountain Climbers:

* Chest, Shoulders, Upper/Mid/Lower Abdominals

Step 1: Start in a kneeling position, with your hands palms down (The bottoms of your hand facing away from you). Keeping your arms straight, place your hands on the ground, no more than shoulder width apart. Raising off your knees, straighten your legs so that you balance on the balls of your toes. Your legs should be positioned no more than shoulder width apart. Your back should now be straight, and you should be balancing on only your arms and feet. This is the starting position for this exercise, and where you should rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your back straight, raise your leg so that your knee touches your chest. You should be balancing on your hands and the opposite leg. After your knee touches your chest, lower it back to the ground, then switch legs. The opposite legs' knee should raise to your chest. Lower it in a similar fashion to the other leg. This is one completion of the correct Mountain Climber.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of Mountain Climbers you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Mountain Climber)

BRIDGES
Quote:
Bridges:

* Chest, Shoulders, Upper/Mid/Lower Abdominals

Step 1: Start by laying on your stomache, with your arms underneath you. Your elbows and forearms should touch the ground, with your hands balled into fists. Keeping your arms locked, straighten your legs so that you balance on the balls of your toes. Your legs should be positioned no more than shoulder width apart. Your back should now be straight, and you should be balancing on only your arms and feet. This is the starting position for this exercise, and where you should rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your back straight, hold the starting position. Make sure that your back stays straight, and that your lower body does not raise (Keep your butt down when doing this). Once you have reached the amount of time you want to spend holding this position, relax. This is one completion of the correct Bridge.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of time you spend doing one Bridge) or Repitition (The number of times you do Bridges in your workout)

SQUATS
Quote:
Squat:

* Legs, Gluts and Lower Back

Step 1: Starting in a sitanding position, with your legs shoulder width apart. Your toes should be pointing either forward, or outward. Your arms should be resting by your side. This is the starting position, and where you will rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your back straight, lower your upper body to the ground. Your butt should go back as you lower yourself (Imagine trying to sit in a chair). Your arms should come up to help with balance. You knees should not go past your toes when you do this. Using your thigh muscles, push your upper body back up into a standing position. This is one completion of the correct Squat.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of Squats you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Squats)

Quote:
Planted Tiptoe Squats:

* Glutes, Hamstrings and Calves

Step 1: Starting in a kneeling position, placing your hands shoulder width apart in front of you. Your feet should be also shoulder width with your hands planted palms to the ground. From this position, raise your butt in the air. Your body should make the shape of a Reversed V, and you should be on the balls of your toes. This is the starting position, and where you will rest if you need to.

Step 2: Keeping your back straight, lower your butt to the ground. Your Knees should bend towards the ground. Make sure to stay on the balls of your toes, and that your shins should not hit the ground. Your body should roughly make the shape of an R when you do this. Raise your butt back up, going back into the V shape. This is one completion of the correct Planted Tiptoe Squat.

* That depends on the level of your lower body strength. You should always start at a low number, then work your way to a higher one. This can be done either by increasing Frequency (The amount of the number of Squats you do) or Repitition (The number of times you do that number of Squat)

0mega_Virus
Crew

0mega_Virus
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:51 am
CARDIO WORKOUT IDEAS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:51 am
FAQS

Quote:
- Do I need to know what my target heart rate is?
* While this may be important, by no means should you base your exercises on this. The best method of knowing to increase your workout duration/speed is with the Talk Test.

The talk test is very simple. During an exercise, if you can form complete sentences (Essentially carry out a conversation with someone) then you are exercising correctly. If it is too easy for you to talk, try increasing your pace. If it is too hard for your to talk, you may want to slow down, or decrease the amount of repetitions/frequency you are doing.

Quote:
- Do I need a gym to get a good looking body?
* Not really. All the workouts I do are done without weights or machines. I use things in nature, or stuff around my home that you see every day in order to get a good workout.

Now, does a gym help? Hell yes. But I hate weighted systems, and have seen too many people hurt themself/others because they use too much weight, or didn't know what the hell they were doing. Weights are good in moderation, when used to augment training your already doing by yourself.

Now why do I say that? If you'll notice, people who use weighted systems often have tears and breaks more often than those who do not. What I mean by this is that they put too much strain on muscle and joints, and cause a tear or fracture when it could have easily been avoided.

If you want to use weights, go right ahead. Make sure you have a spotter for anything that is more than 20 pounds, and that your have a personal trainer properly show you the correct way to do the exercise (lift, press, etc) so that the likelyhood of injury will decrease.

0mega_Virus
Crew

0mega_Virus
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:52 am
UPDATES

28 Jan 09
- Opened Thread

31 Jan 09
- Added Standard and Wide Arm Push-ups workouts to the Upper Body Workouts Section, Information to FAQS....

11 Feb 09
-Added Tricep Pushups, Sit-ups, Crunches, Bicycle Crunches, Mountain Climbers, V Crunches, Bridges.....

28 June 09
- Added Squats and Dips.

16 April 2010
- Added Obliques, Stretches, and Burpees

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:53 am
You can now post your questions!  

0mega_Virus
Crew

Meriko
Captain

Aged Gaian

12,400 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:34 am
Most efficient way to turn a flabby belly into a six-pack? T____T

*cheekrubs Peter and the thread* heart  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:49 pm
I second Meri. 8D;  

Witch of Rokkenjima
Crew

Konami Shojou

Romantic Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:34 pm
Yay, expertise!

I have very bad knees. They've been bad all my life, but in the past few years I've put on some weight from my lack of activity and it's making them hurt even worse. Is there some sort of low-impact exercise I could do that isn't swimming? surprised The main reason I'm as inactive as I am is because it just hurts so much to be on my feet for too long.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 am
I third what Meri said. XD

Also if you build up a lot of muscle, is there a way to get it to go down a bit?

XD I do know that Fencing has kept my legs in shape. Just when I thought my legs were looking kinda...ech...I saw myself stretching in the mirror in class and saw some muscles popping out. I felt very good. XD

Taylor_Calastadd

1,750 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

0mega_Virus
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:23 pm
Meriko
Most efficient way to turn a flabby belly into a six-pack? T____T

*cheekrubs Peter and the thread* heart

Most people will tell you diet and exercise.
My opinion? A consistant workout schedule will be out diet any day of the week.

If you try to diet, you'll just crave what you want and can't have even more. So, eat things like Icecream and Doughnuts and Cake in moderation.

As to a regime to ahdere to, it needs to be something that works your core muscles.

Although Sit-ups are helpful, they only work certain muscles. I suggest you try several different exercises and put them together in a workout (or just wait and I'll post some workouts for you guys to try ^_^)
This will help, but it will take time. There are no sure fire ways to get a flat stomache in a short amount of time. At least not ones that are healthy.

Konami Shojou
Yay, expertise!

I have very bad knees. They've been bad all my life, but in the past few years I've put on some weight from my lack of activity and it's making them hurt even worse. Is there some sort of low-impact exercise I could do that isn't swimming? surprised The main reason I'm as inactive as I am is because it just hurts so much to be on my feet for too long.

What exercises would you like to do? I suppose you want to do something that works your whole body. Ergonomics (Bike riding) is low-impact on the knees, and works your stomache and legs. Try Bike Riding (instead of jogging or running) for about 20 minutes. If you have a Ten speed, use one of the gears that makes you have to push more revolutions to turn the wheels (This will work you more, and still keep you low impact).

Other exercises could include Ball exercises, but they are a bit more impact than your probably looking for. Let me look into this a bit more and I'll get you some more exercises.
Taylor_Calastadd
I third what Meri said. XD

Also if you build up a lot of muscle, is there a way to get it to go down a bit?

XD I do know that Fencing has kept my legs in shape. Just when I thought my legs were looking kinda...ech...I saw myself stretching in the mirror in class and saw some muscles popping out. I felt very good. XD

Depending on what your doing, you can build muscle fast. How would you get it to go down? Well, you'd change your workout to reflect that you lift or do. Reps are what tone muscle, and weight is what build more muscle.

Also, instead of isolated muscle workouts, try doing several ones that work different muscle groups. This will increase your overall muscle mass and not make you look a bit odd (Like the nice arms, but the flabby stomache.)  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:16 am
0mega_Virus
What exercises would you like to do? I suppose you want to do something that works your whole body. Ergonomics (Bike riding) is low-impact on the knees, and works your stomache and legs. Try Bike Riding (instead of jogging or running) for about 20 minutes. If you have a Ten speed, use one of the gears that makes you have to push more revolutions to turn the wheels (This will work you more, and still keep you low impact).

Other exercises could include Ball exercises, but they are a bit more impact than your probably looking for. Let me look into this a bit more and I'll get you some more exercises.

Thank you for your response and for looking into this for me. ^^ Would an exercise bike be as good as a real bike?  

Konami Shojou

Romantic Prophet

0mega_Virus
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:37 pm
Yes. It can simulate up and downhill slopes, giving you more resistance while providing low-impact workout for your knees.  
Meri & Kimi's Inc.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff