Submit

Is this new info to you?
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
100%
 100%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 34

Rhed King

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:39 am
Brawl, and a few other games, are double layered discs. They have this double layer to keep extra content, since a single layer disc would be in effective. Unfortunately, double layer discs can contaminate your disc reader on the wii. and are more susceptible to breaking once this happens. More importantly, the wii will not be able to read any kind of disc for even a brief duration once this happens. There are a few ways that you can get your wii contaminated IF YOU HAVE EVER EVEN INSERTED A DOUBLE LAYER DISC IN YOU WII!

One. Leave a disc in the disc drive when the console is off.

Two. Swap the wii from vertical to horizontal(or visa versa) while the wii is on.

Three. Letting dust build up on the wii.

Four. Ejecting a disc while playing the game.

Five. Cleaning a disc incorrectly, and then putting it in the wi

If you try to clean your discs, odds are your doing it wrong. Never wipe in a circular motion. Take a non fiber cloth (shirt works, so does shamwow) and wipe the disc from the center to the ousite in a straight line. basically draw a radius on your disc with the cloth, and do that around the disc intil you stop caring.

Basically my wii died because of contaminants, and when I came on here today I noticed the what's in your console thread. It got me thinking that while convenient to just pick up and play a game. It can hurt your wii if you have ever used a double layer disc.

I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, just thought this would help.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:07 am
I have the same problem, I guess I should just take discs out after I use them now and clean them properly... Thanks for the tips.  

Super Cheesio

5ir Psycho 5exy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:15 am
Wow. If I'd known this before I bought Brawl, I probably wouldn't have bought it. neutral Actually, if I knew a Wii's own discs broke it, I wouldn't have bought a Wii in the first place. It's just a dirty disc lens, though, isn't it? Nintendo recently put out a Wii cleaner to rectify this problem.

Will the eventual BWii address and fix any of these problems? They seem like things Nintendo consoles have not had trouble with in the past, and I know for a fact that if the Wii continues to die this easily, I will not be buying another one. Replacement consoles were affordable when a console was $100. If they're going to cost three times as much, I expect them to last at least three times as long.

Brawl was one of the first games I bought, and my Wii didn't make it 8 months. I've had an SNES for 15 years, and the only replacements I've had to make are because the damn thing was stolen. stare Is it so wrong to expect technology to go forward?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 am
-Zephyrotica-
Wow. If I'd known this before I bought Brawl, I probably wouldn't have bought it. neutral Actually, if I knew a Wii's own discs broke it, I wouldn't have bought a Wii in the first place. It's just a dirty disc lens, though, isn't it? Nintendo recently put out a Wii cleaner to rectify this problem.
Nope, that's not the problem. I got the cleaner and cleaned the lens several times and it made no difference.  

Super Cheesio

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:40 am
My money's on however they're manufacturing Brawl.

Dust sounds like an excuse.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm
Waynebrizzle

you should see the dust in my room. it actually disgusts me.

but yeah even though i could fill a bicket with al the dust in my room, my Wii is fine. and i do everything on that list.  

Xilo The Odd

5ir Psycho 5exy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:52 pm
Super Cheesio
-Zephyrotica-
Nope, that's not the problem. I got the cleaner and cleaned the lens several times and it made no difference.
...Then I want my ******** money back. stare  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 pm
~Xiloscent~
Waynebrizzle

you should see the dust in my room. it actually disgusts me.

but yeah even though i could fill a bicket with al the dust in my room, my Wii is fine. and i do everything on that list.

trust me man, It's only a matter of when. Nintendo says that about 90% of wii systems have this problem (they also say there's no way to fix this disc problem, I don't believe that though).

regardless the dust thing is the biggie, cause the back of your wii is like a Kirby. It inhales all of the time. Normally this isn't a problem, cause it siphons air through the wii to cool it. Howevers, if dust gets inside yo' Kirby, he stars having some allergic problems and can't suck in air as well. This means he needs to work extra hard to keep his house cool if he still wants to do donuts in his bumper car. (you can also give Zyrtec to your mini wii kirby to help him out)

(translation: dust clogs the very weak vents on the wii, this makes it harder for the disc reader to read the spinning disc, this makes your wii work harder, puts more stress on the disc, creating a spherical scratch on the outside rim of your disc [you can check that with an LED pocket light] overtime that scratch hurts the wii itself)

This damages the disc reader quite permanently so the only way to fix that is to have nintendo fix your wii. Right now they are doing it for free, so if you start having problems you can fix them quick and free. It takes about 10 days to do this, but they will only fix it once.  

Rhed King

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm
I got my Wii at the launch and I've never had any problems, which is weird since I've probably done everything on that list at least once xd  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:24 pm
I got my wii at launch as well and I only had this problem two weeks ago.

probably depends onthe frequencey of brawl play (cause I play that a real lot)  

Rhed King

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:24 pm
The only thing I've done on that list regularly is leave a disc in, but even then I usally take it out a while later.

I got my Wii only a few months after the launch, and I haven't had any problems with it. Plus, I don't really play Brawl much anyway.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:34 pm
Yeahhhh... I should probably start doing that "take the disk out of the Wii" thing. :/  

Orphie

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:37 pm
Orphie
Yeahhhh... I should probably start doing that "take the disk out of the Wii" thing. :/

Yeah same with me.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:42 pm
Regulust
Orphie

Yeah same with me.

Same here.  

TooHyphy

smile into the chaos

Feisty Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 pm
Rhed King
~Xiloscent~
Waynebrizzle

(translation: dust clogs the very weak vents on the wii, this makes it harder for the disc reader to read the spinning disc, this makes your wii work harder, puts more stress on the disc, creating a spherical scratch on the outside rim of your disc [you can check that with an LED pocket light] overtime that scratch hurts the wii itself)

This damages the disc reader quite permanently so the only way to fix that is to have nintendo fix your wii. Right now they are doing it for free, so if you start having problems you can fix them quick and free. It takes about 10 days to do this, but they will only fix it once.

I think that's what happened to my Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn disc. One day a small but deep scratch appeared on the outside of the disc, and it wouldn't play at all. But for some reason, when I moved it from one tv to another, it worked again.

Are there any cleaning discs available for the Wii, or would that even help?

'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff