Reply Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild
(New)Anne Rice and Kaori Yuki - Similarity? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alicelights

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:14 pm
Do you feel that the books by Anne Rice have anything in common with kaori Yuki's works?

If so, what?

Feel free to comment if you've only just seen the film version(s) too.
One of the films: 'Interview With The Vampire' Just make it clear that you have.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:19 pm
Follow or die - Rules

- Mark spoilers and say what it is they spoil.

I have only read two books by Anne Rice (plus seen the 'Interview...' film).
I also know I've yet to read 'Fairy Cube' and some others...
I will not be best pleased if anything is given away cool be cool, mark spoilers.  

alicelights

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:38 pm
Oh I wish I could respond to this, but I have never read any of Anne Rice's books though so many people say I should.

I did watch Interview with a Vampire though...-_-

When you deal with the gothic and with the supernatural though, both Anne Rice and Kaori Yuki do like to toy with tropes...
You could say that with genres like horror, fans of the particular genre keep on returning to it to see a particular kind of thing/theme, though it may be gussied up in a different guise.
This can be both good and bad depending on how you see it, though I dont think Kaori Yuki has been very guilty of being cliched.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:44 pm
Oh! *claps hands* what an exciting topic. Anne Rice happens to be a favorite of mine. Yay!

I've seen both Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned.
I've read all the books in the Vampire Chronicles, the lives of the Mayfair Witches, and the tales of the new vampires, as well as her stand alones Violin, Servant of the Bones, Cry to Heaven, and Ramses.

There's the obvious common theme of gothic writing/time periods/what have you. But there is also this wonderful aspect to both styles where it is very likely that the "hero" will not be who you want him/her to be and the story will likely not end the way you want it to, but the way it SHOULD. There is a critical difference between the way a story should end and the way the reader wants it to end. Anne Rice and Kaori Yuki both do a wonderful job of telling stories that seem REAL to the reader simply because of the fact that everything isn't always all happy and hunky-dory at the end. There is often intense pain or saddness/grief whatever bound up with the way the story ends. I absolutely love that about them.

Also... the boy x boy stuff is pretty common 4laugh  

YGOPaladin

alicelights

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:26 am
YGOPaladin
Oh! *claps hands* what an exciting topic. Anne Rice happens to be a favorite of mine. Yay!

I've seen both Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned.
I've read all the books in the Vampire Chronicles, the lives of the Mayfair Witches, and the tales of the new vampires, as well as her stand alones Violin, Servant of the Bones, Cry to Heaven, and Ramses.

There's the obvious common theme of gothic writing/time periods/what have you. But there is also this wonderful aspect to both styles where it is very likely that the "hero" will not be who you want him/her to be and the story will likely not end the way you want it to, but the way it SHOULD. There is a critical difference between the way a story should end and the way the reader wants it to end. Anne Rice and Kaori Yuki both do a wonderful job of telling stories that seem REAL to the reader simply because of the fact that everything isn't always all happy and hunky-dory at the end. There is often intense pain or saddness/grief whatever bound up with the way the story ends. I absolutely love that about them.

Also... the boy x boy stuff is pretty common 4laugh

AH yes, you're right about the way the story 'should' end. The boy x boy stuff is kinda essential. Makes me wonder if they have similar fanbases?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:29 am
Sai-kun
Oh I wish I could respond to this, but I have never read any of Anne Rice's books though so many people say I should.

I did watch Interview with a Vampire though...-_-

When you deal with the gothic and with the supernatural though, both Anne Rice and Kaori Yuki do like to toy with tropes...
You could say that with genres like horror, fans of the particular genre keep on returning to it to see a particular kind of thing/theme, though it may be gussied up in a different guise.
This can be both good and bad depending on how you see it, though I dont think Kaori Yuki has been very guilty of being cliched.

Read the 'Interview..' book. It's a good read, gives the characters a little more depth than the film. I picked it up by accident.  

alicelights

Boredom_Kills

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:52 pm
Oh my gosh! I have never thought of the similarities between theses two autohrs! Anne Rice and Kaori Yuki are my favourite authors. Both of these suthors are so cool and dark in there writing. Wow I never noticed the similarities... don't want to put any spoilers of any of the authors so I don't ruin for you guys. Thanx for pointing this out for me xd Now I'm going to be thinking all the rest of the day about this!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:30 am
Boredom_Kills
Oh my gosh! I have never thought of the similarities between theses two autohrs! Anne Rice and Kaori Yuki are my favourite authors. Both of these suthors are so cool and dark in there writing. Wow I never noticed the similarities... don't want to put any spoilers of any of the authors so I don't ruin for you guys. Thanx for pointing this out for me xd Now I'm going to be thinking all the rest of the day about this!!!

Ah, ha ha - Looks like my topic was clever... ^-^7 he he

I noticed the similarities when I was reading Anne Rice's 'Interview...'. Maybe there was a Cain book typing around too that made me think, though I might never know  

alicelights

Moonlit Masquerade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:47 am
I've never read any of Anne Rice's stuff. Should I? -is ashamed-  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:44 am
Moonlit Masquerade
I've never read any of Anne Rice's stuff. Should I? -is ashamed-

Most definately. There are lots of good vampire and witch stories. Also, there are some other great stories. Servant of the Bones and Ramses the Dead are two of my all time favorites. You should definately check them out.  

YGOPaladin

Wordfalling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:35 am
Anne Rice... I'm sorry, but I really, really don't like her. I've read Interview With the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and The Vampire Armand, and I have no wish to read any more. I suppose that Rice's and Yuki's books are sorta similar, but only with thier darkness, and the demonic characters. (I don't think the characters themselves are in any way similar).

I liked Interview, but the other ones were just so blatantly anti-Christian, particularly Lestat. While reading it, I kept finding myself saying, "but that's not true...". I'm not trying to start an arguement about religion; I just prefer things that don't take sides, at least not so harshly. Kaori Yuki doesn't strike me as taking a side; in Vol.1, she said that AS is just her own little story and that it's not how she herself pictures angels, or something like that.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:56 pm
Anne Rice is a Christian now *Dies* So no more Vampire stories for us. crying  

The Poison

Ninael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:13 pm
Mr. Genius
Anne Rice is a Christian now *Dies* So no more Vampire stories for us. crying

Well, she used to be similiar in terms or story-telling, I didn't believe you until I looked on Ann Rice's website.
Goodness, what the hell happens to dark fantasy culture when the so-called "female Stephen King" writes about about Jesus?

Well, as long as Kaori Yuki doesn't loose her gothic story-telling I'll be happy. Ann Rice wasn't that great anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:24 pm
they have nothing in common to me.  

Bloodyblade666

Lumicran_Minamoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:34 pm
I heard that Anne Rice went super Christian. blaugh

I think that the general theme of their works are similar- but besides that, they are completely different.

Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff