Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Elessar Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which Elessar do you think Aragorn II received?
Enerdhil's
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Celebrimbor's
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 23

Lithian Naurwen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:38 pm
To clarify, this is about the elf-stone, not Aragorn II.

In Unfinished Tales, it says the original Elessar was created by a smith in Gondolin named Enerdhil. He loved all green things that grew, and (in the words of Tolkien) "his greatest joy was to see the sunlight though the leaves of the trees." So he made a gem that had the clear light of the sun imprisoned in it, but it was a green as the leaves. It had miraculous healing powers also. Now Idril bound it on her breast and took it with her at the falling of Gondolin. Then she gave it to Earendil who bound it on his breast and ore it everywhere he went, so as a result, he took it with him when he went to Valinor. Now it says that Olorin (none other than Gandalf!) took it with him when he came to Middle-Earth, and passed it into Galadriel's keeping. Then Galadriel gave it to Aragorn. Now another version says that Celebrimbor, out of his love for Galadriel, wrought her an Elessar, except that its power was less, because the Sun was older that it was in Gondolin's time. Then he set it in a brooch in the shape of an eagle with outstretched wings. Now I always liked to think that Aragorn received the Elessar of Enerdhil, but evidence says that he got the Celebrimbor created. What do you think?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:24 pm
Well, I like the version where Celebrimbor forged it for Galadriel, because I think that story is very sad and romantic 3nodding

There are of course, difficulties with the Celebrimbor option, in one of the versions I think Tolkien tried to make Celebrimbor a kinsman of Daeron rather than a Feanorian. Personally, I prefer him as a Feanorian heart  

Edhellos

Wayfaring Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:53 pm
I'd like to think that Aragorn received the more powerful one. I think it would be much more dramatic and symbolic if he recieved the Elessar that was passed down through so many powerful hands. I don't have any evidence for you, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:17 pm
I tend to follow the story with Aragorn recieving the one that had been made by Celebrimbor and given to Galadriel.

Of course, I tend to believe what's written in the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales over something that contradicts that in the History of Middle Earth.  

Zurgi

Boolean Julian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:28 pm
Most likely this is one of those very grey areas, which Tolkien changed his ideas about. Clearly this would mean there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, although the one that woul generally regarded more "accurate" would be from the later of Tolkien's notes.
I have no clue what this would be.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:47 pm
yeah I dunno either, I was hoping the controversial question would draw Falathrim.....but yes all your input is appreciated! Is there anything about the Elessarin any book beside LOTR and The Unfinished Tales?

EDIT: AGH! Zurgi changed her hair!!!!!! The world's gonna end! gonk  

Lithian Naurwen

TenshinoHikari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:51 pm
Seems like we're about even sweatdrop . I like the one with Celebrimbor best, simply because it's more romantic. Yes, I'm a sucker for Romantic stories. That's why I like fan fiction about Elrond and Celebrain *still believes it would suck to have a mother-in-law who could read your mind*  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:52 pm
It's probably mentioned in the History of Middle Earth, alas, I'm only on the Lays of Beleriand so I can't help you there.  

Zurgi

Falathrim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:48 pm
Going off memory alone, I can't recall any mention of the Elessars in HoME. But I reiterate the word memory. I have no access to HoME for the time being, so I can't really check. Pity.

I tend to believe that the latter of the two stories, that Aragorn recieved the Elessar of Celebrimbor, to be the true one. Perhaps if I could find my extra copy of UT,. I could explain why I feel this way, but I don't know where that is so oh well.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:53 pm
xd thank you! I would type the essay here, but I'm too lazy! I'm more inclined to think Aragorn received Celebrimbor's and the other stayed in Valinor. But it would be cool if he got the one Gondolin no?  

Lithian Naurwen

Falathrim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:15 pm
Do any of you have HoME? I do, of course, but it's not with me. But, in case someone does, here's all mentions of an Elessar, be it stone or person, in the HoME Index:

Elessar (The) (VII) Elfstone. 278, 294, 362, 366, 392
Elessar (The) (IXa) Elfstone, Aragorn. 52, 58, 117, 119, 128. See Aragorn.
Elessar (VIII) (1) last King of the Line of Anarion. 153. See Earnur. (2) Aragorn. 309, 370, 390, 395, 411, 427. See Elfstone.
Elessar (XI) The Elfstone. 177; the Green Stone of Feanor 176-7
Elessar (XII) (1) Rejected name of King Earnur of Gondor. 247
Elessar (XII) (2) Aragorn II. 32, 132, 196, 202-3, 207, 211, 217, 243-4, 246, 253, 255, 258, 261, 268, 410, 419; the Elfstone 243; the Great King 414; Annals, Chronicles of the House of Elessar 243, 245  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:42 am
Well, so far I've learned that information is on pp. 248 of UT. I'll check there when I'm done checking the HoME references.

HoME XI p. 177:
"A new page in the QS manuscript begins with the opening of this paragraph, and at the top of the page my father pencilled: 'The Green Stone of Feanor given by Maidros to Fingon' This can hardly be other than a reference to the Elessar that came in the end of Aragorn....It is clear, I think, that my father was at this time pondering the previous history of the Elessar....for his later ideas on its origin see Unfinished Tales pp. 248-52"

That's the only interesting one, the others are all references to Aragorn himself. Let's check the UT and see what it says now!

Well, my UT obviously isn't the same version it's referring to, considering that at page 248 it's the tale of Aldarion and Erendis. Blerg. TO THE INDEX!

Index: Elessar(1):
"A great green jewel of healing power made in Gondolin for Idril Turgon's daughter, who gave it to Earendil her son; the Elessar that Arwen gave to Aragorn being either Earendil's jewel returned or another."

Unfinished Tales p. 322 (of my copy, at least)
"In ages after there was again an Elessar, and of this two things are said, though which is true only those Wise could say who now are gone."

And then it gives both stories. So I guess it's open to interpretation.  

Zurgi

SYFFER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:37 am
I'm pretty sure, since I finished reading Unfinished Tales a week ago, that Aragorn received the Ellesar made by Celebrimbor. Celebrimbor made the jewel for Galadriel and she passed it down to Arwen Undomiel. Arwen gave the Ellesar to Aragorn. The other Ellesar must have been kept in Valinor.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:37 pm
You may say what you want, I prefer the first version. Because Enerdhil's Elessar was given to Earendil, who is the ancester of Aragorn...It makes more sense then that Aragorn receives it.  

Bluering Bearer

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:15 am
I also have to say I like the first version better, simply because I remember no mention of an eagle shaped brooch in LotR. However, I have not read UT or HoME so its just my preference.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff