Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Cheesio Reviews: Sonic and the Black Knight Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:06 am
I come to you now, with my aching arm, typing up this review with only my left hand. Why you ask? Because I've been playing Sonic and the Black Knight for the past two days.
Sonic and the Black Knight is the second in the Sonic storybook series. This time he has been summoned into the story of King Arthur by Merlin's granddaughter, Merlina. You see, King Arthur has apparently been turned evil by the scabbard of Excalibur, and Merlina apparently needs Sonic's help to defeat him and save Camelot. However, the Black Knight can only be defeated with 'the sacred sword'. Turns out this sword is called Caliburn, and it can talk... Don't worry though, he's one of the few characters in the game that has a decent voice actor. I say all this, but by the time the giant plot twist comes around none of it will matter.
Now, onto the gameplay. The very reason I'm typing this with just my left hand. Basically, there are lads of different missions to complete to get through the story and beyond, all accessible via a map screen. These are things like reach the goal, give the townspeople rings, defeat a certain number of enemies, beat the clock, and defeat the boss. You run through the levels just like in normal Sonic games, which is all very nice, but, of course, there is the swordplay thrown in too with this game. The swordplay itself isn't bad, it's just the way it's controlled. You just run up to an enemy, and you have a few options. Hop and waggle furiously, just waggle furiously, use homing attack and waggle furiously, jump over the enemies, or press the B button and waggle not-so-furiously, locking onto the closest enemies and taking them out one by one, but draining your soul gage. So, as you can probably tell, there's a lot of aimless waggle. the swordplay would have been better if you simply pressed a button repeatedly to swing your sword, instead of waggling around like a madman, and giving yourself a very achy arm for the next few days. So basically, the gameplay is fun, but not for your poor unfortunate arm.
When you complete a level, you gain a star rating which levels you up if you get enough, and you get followers too, which also level you up... I think... It's rather complicated and they don't really explain that stuff, but either way, you're ranked and you level up. You also get items and new stuff unlocked when you complete a level.
There's also a Blacksmith (Tails) who let's you change Sonic's running and fighting style, let's you equip items, and once you unlock Lancelot, Gawain and Percival, he can forge swords for them out of the items you collect in levels.
The multiplayer, from the looks of it, is pretty bad. It looks very slow and not-so-fun. However, I have yet to play it with Mooigi.
There's also an online mode where you can play levels, and then get your score on a leader board, along with your rank. You can also trade items with friends, but you need to share friend codes for that, so I doubt it will get used much.
The look of the game overall is very nice indeed! All the menus and stuff are very nicely presented, as are the cut scenes, which have improved masses compared to the ones in Secret Rings. The in-game graphics are really great too, and it looks like they put a lot of effort into it. You can even see each separate blade of grass blowing in the wind, and when you swing your sword, you can see all the separate blades of grass fly off into the wind. Lovely.
Overall, this is a decent game, but it's ruined by the endless waggle and the multiplayer mode. I'd recommend you rent it for a week if you're interested.

79%

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:32 am
Hmm, the most important part about your opinion on this game, is how it is in comparison to Sonic and The Secret Rings and Sonic Unleashed. What did you think of both of them, and how good is this compared to them?  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:38 am
Ribbin
Hmm, the most important part about your opinion on this game, is how it is in comparison to Sonic and The Secret Rings and Sonic Unleashed. What did you think of both of them, and how good is this compared to them?
That's very hard to say... They're all very different games. Secret Rings was on-rails, Unleashed was half perfect and half boring, and Black Knight has swordplay. Even without those things they're very different. I'd say my favorite out of them is Unleashed for the daytime stages, but the Werehog was boring, so I'd rate it similar to this.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:47 am
Super Cheesio
Ribbin
That's very hard to say... They're all very different games. Secret Rings was on-rails, Unleashed was half perfect and half boring, and Black Knight has swordplay. Even without those things they're very different. I'd say my favorite out of them is Unleashed for the daytime stages, but the Werehog was boring, so I'd rate it similar to this.

Fair enough, how about for broken levels? That's where Sega really screws up.

I personally hated Secret Rings with a passion, and I'm blown away at how they changed the cutscenes in this game, so that's definitely an improvement. Also, medieval times beats the s**t out of arabian nights. I also agree about Sonic Unleashed on some points, half of it was boring, and half was awesome. The boring half wasn't necessarily the werehog, but most of it was. The last level in the game was entirely boring.  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:57 am
Ribbin
Super Cheesio
Ribbin

Fair enough, how about for broken levels? That's where Sega really screws up.

I personally hated Secret Rings with a passion, and I'm blown away at how they changed the cutscenes in this game, so that's definitely an improvement. Also, medieval times beats the s**t out of arabian nights. I also agree about Sonic Unleashed on some points, half of it was boring, and half was awesome. The boring half wasn't necessarily the werehog, but most of it was. The last level in the game was entirely boring.
Broken levels? None really.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 am
For Sonic games, I tend to play the game myself and figure out how well it does. Yet I seem to have lost faith in all of his platformers. And my bros managed to beat this game in THREE hours. So it can't be too bad or too good. Plus, the spoiled it for me. -x-

but srsly, after Sonic Adventure 2, the only good Sonic game i played after that is Sonic Chronicles. I actually REALLY liked it, which is saying something. Though the PP system could still go and jump off a cliff. xP;  

Sazuka57

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:58 am
Super Cheesio

I'd also like to mention IGN's review was not only poorly written, but it actually lies about the game. Ignore IGN when it comes to Sonic games... ¬¬

I'd like to point out that they gave Sonic Unleashed one of the highest scores of any of the major gaming websites...

Seriously, stop being such a fan-boy and just accept that some people are going to have a different opinion than you. It's their job to tell people whether they enjoyed a game or not. Just get over it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 pm
Teh AK
Super Cheesio

I'd also like to mention IGN's review was not only poorly written, but it actually lies about the game. Ignore IGN when it comes to Sonic games... ¬¬

I'd like to point out that they gave Sonic Unleashed one of the highest scores of any of the major gaming websites...

Seriously, stop being such a fan-boy and just accept that some people are going to have a different opinion than you. It's their job to tell people whether they enjoyed a game or not. Just get over it.
Yeah, their Unleashed review was good, but it's not their opinion I'm complaining about for Black Knight, it's the fact that it's a poorly written review, and lies about the game. Actually lies about facts. I'm pretty sure there are some spelling errors in the review too. I'm not complaining about an opinion.  

Super Cheesio

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:44 pm
Sazuka57
For Sonic games, I tend to play the game myself and figure out how well it does. Yet I seem to have lost faith in all of his platformers. And my bros managed to beat this game in THREE hours. So it can't be too bad or too good. Plus, the spoiled it for me. -x-
You can finish the story in three hours, but you can't actually complete the game in that time.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:48 pm
THREE HOURS?
TWO DAYS?
What the hell? D=
Is it REALLY that short? Is it REALLY that easy?
crying  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:26 pm
I think you're lying about it lying.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 pm
I_love_Inuyasha1
THREE HOURS?
TWO DAYS?
What the hell? D=
Is it REALLY that short? Is it REALLY that easy?
crying
No, it's not three hours. There are tons more missions after you beat the story. Lots of them are very hard...  

Super Cheesio

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:30 pm
in other words
what do they lie about  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:44 pm
What I mean is, some of what they said is almost so wrong that it's a lie. Anyway, is there something wrong with having an opinion on an opinion? It's not like I'm bashing IGN or anything.  

Super Cheesio

Mephisto D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:50 pm
Super Cheesio
What I mean is, some of what they said is almost so wrong that it's a lie. Anyway, is there something wrong with having an opinion on an opinion? It's not like I'm bashing IGN or anything.

Actually, I believe questioning the credibility of a reviewer could be considered bashing.

It's also an unspoken rule that when you review a game, you try not to shoot at the credibility of another reviewer, even if you disagree with them.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff