Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Must let this RANT OUT!!!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RyomaKun1992

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 am
This started at the Worst/most disappointing games thread...and it turned into this hulk of text here. If you can bear it, you may read and be amazed, but of course no one is forcing you to.

My Defense of ToS:
To all the ToS haters, if you played past the first five minutes you'd see a deeper stroyline than just,"Find the dungeons and save the world" Seriously, the game takes a 180 once you hit Tethealla, not to mention the excessive muture subject matter in a game with such kitty graphics(Rampant racism anyone?)
The battle system was...meh, it was okay, but to me better than Star Ocean 3's, and trust me, I'm a Star Ocean fanboy. At least it was fluid(I can't tell you how many times a character just stopped in mid combo because of fury, or a move didn't work how it's supposed to, not to mention the only mages are incredibly annoying, magic itself is useless, Maria was uberly overpowered, and no block button which meant any enemy with a strong fast attack that surrounded them, the vast majority of them, would pwn your whole party, then the learning curve....but I still love the game ^^)
There was plenty to do in the game, the lighthearted charm melded well with the hopeless atmosphere, and you get to fight angels, FREAKING ANGELS!
As for the AI....they did there job. I don't think I had to do much other than replenish tp sometimes.

Worst game? I might get some booing for this...but FF12....It's like an mmo....without other people. What's the point? The battle system everyone goes on about it like a sad version of WoW's, the gambits just make the game too easy, and other than it being in Ivalice, my favorite FF universe, I can't say much more than meh.

Most disappointing? Oh I can go on,

The Last Remnant - The battle system is engaging and all, but that doesn't make up for a s**t storyline, s**t graphics for the 360(I came from Star Ocean 4 to this, big mistake since SO4's were just beautiful), s**t voiceacting, characters who are so childish it's not even funny(once again, came off of Star Ocean. They make the crew from that look like badasses)
I mean the main character is afraid to say "a**" He says,"Let's kick some A." ....WTF? Let's kick some...A? How the hell did this get an M rating, the ketchup blood? Seriously, I've seen more blood in Legend of Zelda: Ocarnia of Time...The cursing, as I said, A. Alcoholic references? Well there's pubs, but that's where you get quests, and the battle system, while different, often gets you killed when it refuses to give you a heal command when you know you have enough resources to use it, not to mention the enemy AI can just keep attacking your weakest member to maximize damage until the whole unit dies, which they often do. Just a big crap on rpg fans like myself.

Resident Evil 5 - Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this game, I still play it, but remember the trailer? Go look it up, RE5 trailers...you'll come across one with Chris, and like 100 majini(the zombies) on him, not fast foreward to the game. They unveil co-op,"Oh, so we don't have to fight 100 zombies alone! Yay! That new character's kinda cute..."
So you buy the game, take it home, get a friend and tell him about this game with 100's of zombies and only two gunmen to try to survive them. You pop it in....and get not only not the 100 zombies promised, but LESS CONTENT then the last game. RE4 took me 20 hours on my first playthrough, subsequent ones taking less and less thanks to more guns available, then my professional run took me 10, thanks to knowing the game inside and out.
This too me...six hours, without a partner. The zombie volume is perhaps two zombies more per area that RE4(but there are less areas mind you)
and other than some new melee's and such there isn't much new here. Most of the sections are now watered down versions of past game sections(Public Assembly = Village, Swamps = ....the Swamps) RE4 had so many different massive environments for the time from the villages to the massive castle to the military island that went from futuristic to creepy in a matter of moments, where as 5, though you can say is has "more environments"(by about one) has all very short environments. The enemies on RE4 were just smarter than on this, often exploiting your open points and backing up the stronger miniboss type enemies, now they just ATTACK ATTACK ATTAAACK! Where as in the last game, They'd hit every entrance, find a way to keep you surrounded, on this one I've been snuck up on in the main game once...when there were openings everywhere, yet only one zombie thought to go from behind.
They increased the weapons, but that doesn't matter much when the game is shorter and easier, then their your partner, an absolute idiot! I won't go one much farther than to say definately play this with a friend. The professional mode on here should be called cheap mode, as even with all in game armors you can be one hit killed by a pebble...RE4's professional mode made you think on your toes, this one makes you think,"How can they cheaply kill me worse?"
The whole game, other than being short, was too geard to co-op. Puzzles involving both characters were the one thing the AI was good at, while online many people don't seem sure how to go on without the comp doing everything. Often it makes me feel like they're throwing in a generic "teamwork" badge everytime one character has to pull a switch at the same time as another, but OMG if you press the button to pull, the character waits while the other does it automatically! AWESOME!
I remember in RE4 there's a part where two people have to pull switches at the same time, involving you pressing A with the right timing, and I thought,"I sure hope they don't put a bunch of those in games to come..." Ta da, thanks Capcom, an entire game of it. The whole storyline is basic and doesn't explain enough(Mostly about Ada and some other things...)
Wesker finally gets a boss fight, but thanks to crappy AI it's a chore more than anything.
The bosses, while fun to fight, are as many say rips of many others in attack patterns/methods to kill.
The characters are bland other than Wesker who is made cool by his blandness(while the rest have no excuse) and another character named Irving, who unfortunately is short lived, and has some stupid lines(which the came is full of...Dollars to donuts anyone?)
I don't mind the inventory shrink, but having a real time menu, in one player, is very...VERY annoying, plus towards the end of the game, while the enemies don't get much varied besides many a regular zombie with many a weapon, the zombies get guns...that's right, AK Freaking 47's, and they introduce a bland and uneeded cover system.
The few things that has kept me playing is the fact that I'm too much of an RE whore, the online co-op, when you find a good player, infinite ammo unlocks for every gun in the game, and Mercenaries, which you do not want to do without a partner since several boss enemies have moves that instantly kill if your partner doesn't save you(A la L4D, minus the decent AI that actually saves you, especially since in Mercenries 1 player you must go it alone.)
That and Wesker is playable on Mercenaries, with his STARS uniform biggrin
The icing on the disappointment cake has to be the versus mode, which I lack since you have to PAY EXTRA FOR IT? Why Capcom? WHY???
Now we have to pay for modes that are probably already on disk? WTF????

Okay...that's all.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:36 am
I didn't like FF12 either. D: The idea of not having to input commands and the general way the game was put together appealed to me, but the actual gameplay bored me to death. Boss fights were drawn-out and tedious, dungeons were repetitive and confusing in their layouts, travelling was long and boring, and the character development.. wait, what character development? xd

As for the others, haven't played them. Heard good things about the Tales series, but never gotten a copy.  

5ir Psycho 5exy

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:39 am
My sister loves FF12, and I hate the battle system.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 am
Super Cheesio
My sister loves FF12, and I hate the battle system.
I like how you don't have to stop running to attack. You just run past an enemy and hit them automatically. xd Also, everyone can equip everything. This is something I'd like to see more of in future FFs.  

5ir Psycho 5exy

wariodude128

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:24 pm
Holy Crap! This topic is pretty much a spin-off topic of the one I made and I love it. I agree with everything said about Tales of Symphonia, especially since I've played through the whole thing myself.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:43 pm
Yeah, I stopped playing FF12 after a half an hour playing it. Combat system was so horrible.  

Sir Codin

RyomaKun1992

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:21 pm
Lord of Armageddon
Yeah, I stopped playing FF12 after a half an hour playing it. Combat system was so horrible.

lol, that is my exact gameplay time on it. It was just...a fail to me.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:26 pm
Last remnant was a big disappointment, with squad and leader caps set so low. I really wanted to fight a huge battle with 5 full squads and maybe a ton of enemies. the game really doesn't deserve the M rating as mentioned above. Last Remnant was a decent game, only thing that kept me going was the fantastic battles.  

Dragons_maw

RyomaKun1992

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:09 pm
Yeah you had to choose between larger squads but less units per squad, or small squads but larger numbers. I did manage to get a huge battle, but I got bored of it after about the 15'th wave.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 am
I'm a ToS whore. The first one is my favorite RPG because it has one of the most drawing plots ever. And you get to fight God. The sequel, whereas it has a weaker story, tells it in a much more enthralling manner, not revealing anything til about the very end.

FFXII...Is the RPG I am currently playing. The plot thus far is very cliched, yet well executed. I agree: Where the ******** is the character development? Nah, this is the type of game that utilizes the characters for the story rather then the emotions. I like the battle system. It's a fun change of pace, that if given the chance, really captivates with it's deeply strategic system reminiscent of VIII's. The gambit system may allow you to create all characters equal...But that's only if you so choose so. No complaints there. The boss battles keep you on your feet, but the game does feel like a grinder. My only complaint thus far is that I'm 20 hours in and I've still haven;t obtained a summon yet! WTF? Where be my summons?!  

King of Paradise

Allegro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 pm
The Not So Evil Deadite
I'm a ToS whore. The first one is my favorite RPG because it has one of the most drawing plots ever. And you get to fight God. The sequel, whereas it has a weaker story, tells it in a much more enthralling manner, not revealing anything til about the very end.

FFXII...Is the RPG I am currently playing. The plot thus far is very cliched, yet well executed. I agree: Where the ******** is the character development? Nah, this is the type of game that utilizes the characters for the story rather then the emotions. I like the battle system. It's a fun change of pace, that if given the chance, really captivates with it's deeply strategic system reminiscent of VIII's. The gambit system may allow you to create all characters equal...But that's only if you so choose so. No complaints there. The boss battles keep you on your feet, but the game does feel like a grinder. My only complaint thus far is that I'm 20 hours in and I've still haven;t obtained a summon yet! WTF? Where be my summons?!
First off, this is one of my favorite posts ever. You sir, need to post here more often.

Secondly, you get most of your summons in the mid to late game, but they come at you rather quickly.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:19 pm
I agree with you about tales of symphonia, that game is pure awesome. one of my favorite games.

Final Fantsay 12... i'm getting kinda bored of it. It wouldn't come close to the worst game i played. It was fun for a while, it just gets boring fast. The story is just uninteresting, and the battles just feel repetitive and easy. The boss fights are just long, tedious and easy. I might finish it eventually, I am playing it very slowly.

I haven't played any of the other games you mentioned, so I can't comment on that.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

Mizu Torrent

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 pm
The lesson here is that ToS fails in comparison to most other Tales games, to be honest.

It was in no way their entire "best" game, but it's really the only other one that people know about extensively. While I agree it's the better game out of the other selections available, I can hardly call it the best game. :/  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:14 am
I'm gonna go out on a limb and call everyone who thinks ToS is a bad game wrong. >_> Also, the fighting system is awesome. It was made for multiplayer and ToS delivered that. Aside from lovable characters and a captivating plot, just playing it with friends was fun.

As for RE5, I loved it. D= Why does everyone hate it?  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

RyomaKun1992

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 pm
Ribbin
I'm gonna go out on a limb and call everyone who thinks ToS is a bad game wrong. >_> Also, the fighting system is awesome. It was made for multiplayer and ToS delivered that. Aside from lovable characters and a captivating plot, just playing it with friends was fun.

As for RE5, I loved it. D= Why does everyone hate it?

The fight system had the same problem most real time rpgs do, lack of moves, since most of them ended up being a mixture of moves, and your basic A combo do old after a while, but I think the biggest gripe is that you could only move in 2D basically, though I will admit it was deep, I mean my friend could juggle enemies Tekken style...alone.
And even on ToS2 he did the same thing.
And I don't not love RE5, in fact I played it after I wrote that, but it was a big disappointment, especially after such promising trailers. As I said, less content, a completely frustrating professional mode, especially with comp partner(and cheap shots like on the boat level where it's nigh impossible to avoid dynamite falling in your boat and insta killing you both in one hit with full health), stupid comp AI that was only helpful in like one boss fight and other than that drained ammo and didn't know when to use a gun(Mine was trying to snipe with a shotgun), less enemy variety(Oh look, more majini...) A sheer lack of anything that kept me on edge, at least 4 had the oven guy and that thing in the bag that shook, as well as the regenerators(those still scare me), too much emphasis on co-op leading to many moments where progress is hindered by an obstacle that basically requires you to push one button and your partner another(seriously, if they'd put three switches Chris and Sheva woulda been screwed XD)
Weak character development of anyone besides Wesker, and the whole Gears of War envy thing with the cover system, and yet I still can't stop playing it. I guess the flaws are what make is beautiful.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff