Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
New Moderation Panel! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:13 pm
What do you think of the new moderation panel? Likes? Dislikes?

It appears that the join request page, log pages(now page) and forum list have been altered. Member list now has avi heads (Isn't that just a fancy add on to piss off dial-up users?), and the server's version of join order as well as last post as long as the most recent post was after the change.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:26 pm
I really like that it automatically tells you if there is a join request. One less thing I have to check. xd

As to the membership lists... w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is finally CLEAN.

Seriously, that's all I wanted. I'm a happy panda now.

I don't mind the avi heads so much... But then, I don't have dialup. However, it's slightly easier to look for an avi that I know than a name surrounded by other text.

I find it hilarious that if you go by member id, you don't find any of us current crew until Window on the bottom of page 13. I was next on page 48, if I didn't miss churrlo... I think I did though. I got bored looking through after that, lol.

I haven't seen anything I've disliked so far, but I haven't really played around with it too much yet. xd

Edit: I dislike seeing the banned people on the same list as the members. It just seemed weird. stare  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm
  • The user invitation form looks a lot neater. I like how you have to enter one username per box instead of the commas because I always lose count.
  • Guild logs are a lot easier to read with the summarization now.
  • Ability to categorise members based on post count, level, etc.

DISLIKES
  • Banned members
  • And thus, lack of a kicking option
  • Categorising members based on guild's member ID seems useless. I would rather see a join date AND/OR the user's Gaia memberID in its place.
  • This is more a design issue than a function issue, but the new stuff doesn't match the old template at all. Choose one template and stick to it because it looks like two very different people did different sections. Both designs look good, but the inconsistency makes it just plain trashy. (Yeah, yeah... so I'm a spoilt web design brat. Sue me!)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:27 pm
NomNomNominal has mentioned many of my likes and dislikes smile

i am very happy everything is going well

i wish w can eliminate or hide useless forums smile

and i was wondering when the mass Pming was coming :*  

Silent elf

diversaurus

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 pm
LillianSaire

Member list now has avi heads (Isn't that just a fancy add on to piss off dial-up users?), and the server's version of join order as well as last post as long as the most recent post was after the change.

dial up users? well, the thumbnails are very small... definitely not an issue for dial up users (unless you're running at below 56K... *gack*)  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 pm
I just like being able to see information about the guildmember. Heh.

Oh, and requests to join the guild is great too.  

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am
The guild member id number and banned members are just how the servers think. I'm sure with way too much time it can be made nicer. User ids would be pointless for guilds not oriented for older gaians.

It isn't the images themselves, but that with 15-20 or however many there are, the member pages will load noticeably slower than usual. Flash is impossible, those images would just be a new inconviniance. I have just seen Gaia move towards anti-dial-up in some areas and thought that that should be mentioned.

The join now thing for auto accept join requests shows for me on my guild, in the 'my guilds' list. o_O Ya... that should be fixed or it will seem too odd.  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:27 am
LillianSaire
The guild member id number and banned members are just how the servers think. I'm sure with way too much time it can be made nicer. User ids would be pointless for guilds not oriented for older gaians.

Yeah, unfortunately there was no good way to show a join date as that's never been captured, so we'd have all these millions of guild users with either the same join date or no join date. I wish we could go back in time and capture that info, but unfortunately we can't. The only way to give some idea of join date was to go by member ID. I know it sucks, but I guess it's better than nothing smile

LillianSaire
It isn't the images themselves, but that with 15-20 or however many there are, the member pages will load noticeably slower than usual. Flash is impossible, those images would just be a new inconviniance. I have just seen Gaia move towards anti-dial-up in some areas and thought that that should be mentioned.

I definitely empathize with your situation. You're right though, Gaia is not dial-up friendly. I try my best to design stuff that will work and make sense with and without styles, so that if you were on a truly crippled connection you could disable style sheets or images and things would still make sense. I think Gaia should even work on a text browser, and in some cases it does (the cases where it doesn't, I just haven't gotten to yet smile ).

LillianSaire
The join now thing for auto accept join requests shows for me on my guild, in the 'my guilds' list. o_O Ya... that should be fixed or it will seem too odd.

Yeah, I'm not sure if we can remove that or not yet. When you're searching, you're searching in the context of an anonymous user, and the backend doesn't really know to which Guilds you currently belong. To do so isn't impossible, but it might create a performance hit that we want to avoid.

NomNomNominal
The user invitation form looks a lot neater. I like how you have to enter one username per box instead of the commas because I always lose count.

I hate comma-separated lists for data entry! They're so ambiguous, especially with things like keywords where a keyword might contain a bloody comma. It drives me bonkers.

NomNomNominal

DISLIKES
Banned members
And thus, lack of a kicking option

I wanted to surface banned members because previously they would be totally hidden from the list and probably in most cases, gone from memory. You could search for their username and have them show up, but that search is pretty weak. I think we should tweak this to only show them to crew members though. It's intended to make lifting a ban easier.

NomNomNominal
Categorising members based on guild's member ID seems useless. I would rather see a join date AND/OR the user's Gaia memberID in its place.

Me too.. crying See above for the nerdy explanation though.

NomNomNominal
This is more a design issue than a function issue, but the new stuff doesn't match the old template at all. Choose one template and stick to it because it looks like two very different people did different sections. Both designs look good, but the inconsistency makes it just plain trashy. (Yeah, yeah... so I'm a spoilt web design brat. Sue me!)

Hah, I thought we'd get skewered for this! So far I think you're the first to call us out on it. One of the side effects of rewriting the moderator application stuff is that it's forced to go into one of our current grid layouts. Our hope is that eventually, the entirety of Guilds will be put into a matching layout. To do so in one release would be just too big (in terms of development effort), so we have to break stuff up. Users suffer due to the disparate designs, but we hope that limiting it to a smaller subset of users (crew+) would alleviate that. Hopefully you're not too put off by it smile .  

pacifisticuffs

Zef

Fluffy Trash

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:25 pm
I like the new moderation panel. But it looks way different when you go to other tabs. Like Nom said it looks like if some people worked on it separately. Do at least 1 template and its good. 3nodding .
Another thing is those ID's o.o
How am I the 4111955 user on my guild? I made my guild. but if this refers to the entire guild system then its ok. I just got weird-ed out of those numbers when i saw it in the member's list.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:03 pm
I really like the recent posts tool. It gives me a good idea of who is online, and lets me know if known troublemakers are posting.  

Ezra-tan

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:27 pm
pacifisticuffs
LillianSaire

Yeah, unfortunately there was no good way to show a join date as that's never been captured, so we'd have all these millions of guild users with either the same join date or no join date. I wish we could go back in time and capture that info, but unfortunately we can't. The only way to give some idea of join date was to go by member ID. I know it sucks, but I guess it's better than nothing smile

In that case, I would rather see their Gaia memberIDs rather than the guild memberIDs. I started listing (not completely accurate) join dates of my guild members a month ago anyway. Gaia memberIDs are better to tell who's changed their names.

Rey Shot
How am I the 4111955 user on my guild? I made my guild. but if this refers to the entire guild system then its ok. I just got weird-ed out of those numbers when i saw it in the member's list.

My GUESS is that the number specifies the "total" number of people who are in a guild. It's in quotations because I can't think of a better word to use even though it's wrong. It's like a count. So if you join Guild A, it goes to 1. A guy joins guild B, it goes to 2. You join Guild B as well, it goes to 3.  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:46 pm
Rey Shot
I like the new moderation panel. But it looks way different when you go to other tabs. Like Nom said it looks like if some people worked on it separately. Do at least 1 template and its good. 3nodding .
Another thing is those ID's o.o

I -think- that's your user ID, and doesn't represent anything except how long you've been on Gaia for.

My own notation:

I liked the 'banned members' list but this raises a problem: Members who are kicked out of guilds are banned. Pretend I make a guild, sell it to someone else. I have to 'ban' the members from the guild. Pretend said person wanted to 'join' the new guild that was created (for example, the new owner created a guild relevant to the banned person's interests, and is unable to join the guild. Why should this be the case?

I honestly think that one should be able to 'kick out' members (in other words, kick them out of the guild) but no ban. Certainly if there were issues that arose from that guild member, then banning would be the proper option. You know what I mean?  

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 pm
1. I prefer guild user ID to gaia member ID because it still lists in join order.
2. Kick out, like dismiss? A lot less scary sounding.
3. I noticed something odd. The list keeps data of banned members but not ones that quit?

Oooo What would be really cool is a quit guild message, sort of like the join guild form and invite form... That would be really helpful. We would know who leaves, and if they chose, why.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:46 am
I think it's a great improvement!  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:31 am
LillianSaire
1. I prefer guild user ID to gaia member ID because it still lists in join order.
2. Kick out, like dismiss? A lot less scary sounding.
3. I noticed something odd. The list keeps data of banned members but not ones that quit?

Oooo What would be really cool is a quit guild message, sort of like the join guild form and invite form... That would be really helpful. We would know who leaves, and if they chose, why.

There's a reason I put 'kicked out' in quotation marks. I was trying to find a nicer word last night and was unable.  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff