Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Serious discussion & Rants
Emo stereotypes Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

adriande2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:48 pm
When I say "Emo" how many of you think of a suicidal person who cuts themselves? Real emos aren't always that way, that not what makes someone emo. There is a huge difference between being emo and suicidal. And what I hate is the wannabe emos, they go by these stereotypes to seem emo, it's frustrating enough with them trying to be something they aren't, you can't really choose to be emo.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:15 pm
...I don' really have a good definition, but I see emos as people who find it hard to quell the raging emotions welling insied of themselves from past or current experiances.  

OiginalLimbershadow

adriande2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm
Limbershadow
...I don' really have a good definition, but I see emos as people who find it hard to quell the raging emotions welling insied of themselves from past or current experiances.

There's more to it than that
I'd say more of a heavy heart or soul burdened by the past
And I don't feel rage  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 pm
Personally I think there are a few types of emos. There are the ones who are overly emotional, and then there are the ones who dress in a certain way.

I am a big fan of those that dress in a certain way heart  

00Shoe
Captain

LordStripeyTail

Quotable Smoker

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:02 am
00Shoe
Personally I think there are a few types of emos. There are the ones who are overly emotional, and then there are the ones who dress in a certain way.

I am a big fan of those that dress in a certain way heart

So, you're my fan? blaugh

I'm called emo a LOT. And I'll grant that indeed, I LOOK emo, and when I get depressed, I ACT quite emo. But whenever I'm feeling fine, I'm quite loud and boisterous. Kinda like a scene kid (I'm sorry to say). Still, I get called emo just for looking the part. And I guess that's okay. I get emo guys then.. and emo guys are hawwwt <3 heart  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 pm
adriande2
Limbershadow

There's more to it than that
I'd say more of a heavy heart or soul burdened by the past
And I don't feel rage

Then by my standards you aren't truly emo. You're a dark person, perhaps one with bad experiences, troubled, etc. Whatever you feel applies best. Emo is more the term which applies to the stereotype.

For instance: Dressing darkly doesn't make you an emo, people did that a LONG time before emos, or even goth kids, were around. Neither does just being a troubled person. An emo is a person who cannot handle their emotions, and so react, be it by overreacting to things, mutilating themselves, or whatever. That's what an emo IS. That doesn't mean their by necessity suicidal, but it's the only way they know how to handle things.

By comparison, what I really hate are the people too conformist to the "emo" persona to really get what being emo is, they cut themselves, not in secret because they're ashamed, but so that they can tell all their little "emo" friends about how much they hate themselves.

Though, emo boys can be hot. :shifty:  

Mor Drakka

Morning Lace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:33 pm
I find this idea of mine funny: People self harm/mutilate themselves... do we think we're the only species that does so?

What about birds, plucking all their feathers out til they're nearly bald? thats caused by stress. same as emos hurt themselves. basically, all in all, cuz of stress.

and dogs/cats get mange. course that may be more of a disease. but still.

if horses break their legs and the legs are bandaged, the horses bite at their legs so they cant heal.

sure, we think its all them being stupid animals. but ... what if they KNEW what they were doing? I think they do. why wouldnt they? they react, they have emotions too, so im pretty sure they think and reason.

so they do know what they're doing.

we're not the only species that self harm.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:37 pm
When I think of emo, I first draw a line between "emo" and "scene."
In my thoughts, and emo person is someone who is constantly depressed, but has no legitimate reason to be.
I'm not counting clinical depression, which is a real issue and should be handled with care.
But, when someone is all emotional and depressed just because things aren't going the way they want, that's when I slap the label of "emo" on them.

L Ahkmill

King Geek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 pm
When I hear "emo" I usually reply with "shut up". There are so many fakes it's hard to tell the difference. I can't even tell which ones are real and I should feel sorry for. And after hearing and seeing all the many fakes at my school I just ended up hating the word "emo" and anyone who mentions it. I don't like that about me either, but I can't help it anymore.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 pm
labels are stupid. unless you're scene and need to be punched in the face.
stop it.
|:

be yourself. don't be defined.  

0rganic

L Ahkmill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm
0rganic
labels are stupid. unless you're scene and need to be punched in the face.
stop it.
|:

be yourself. don't be defined.

I actually think scene kids are sexy, when they're not being obnoxious.
I'm a sucker for medium, thin, straight hair.
X3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:25 pm
@Organic: That's how band people feel. We rule, stop insulting us!  

King Geek

Mor Drakka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:15 pm
adriande2
When I say "Emo" how many of you think of a suicidal person who cuts themselves? Real emos aren't always that way, that not what makes someone emo. There is a huge difference between being emo and suicidal. And what I hate is the wannabe emos, they go by these stereotypes to seem emo, it's frustrating enough with them trying to be something they aren't, you can't really choose to be emo.

If that's not what you are, then by popular definition, you're not emo. Simple as that. You may be an emotional person, or be a little dark sometimes, but that doesn't make you an 'emo'. An 'emo' is someone who bought into the trend and decided that they wanted to act like some terminally depressed whiny kid who hates themselves. There's already terminology for people who really feel that way, you know?

I myself am chronically depressed and do often write poetry that has dark themes or even talks about death, but I don't call myself emo, because I don't cut myself/pretend to cut myself or whine about little inconsequential things that noone else really cares about.

Of course, the easiest difference to see is that real people who feel this way don't go around talking about it like the 'emo's do.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 pm
I think of emo as more of a fashion. When going out on the weekends I will straighten my hair and wear eyeliner and other makeup - and I will look 'emo' as in style.

You can't really lump in all the kids who act all depressed to get attention with us who look this way as a style.  

00Shoe
Captain

KillSmallCartoons

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:00 am
I hate it that people think that all emo's cut themselves. It just pisses me off to no end. But the reason for all of these stereotypes is (IMO) because they are the most drastic things.

Like when you think of Pakistan or Iraq, the 1st things that will probaly come to mind are War, Terrorism, Violence,Osama Bin Laden, and towel heads. (Oh my Alla!)

The one thing I can say that most, if not all, ture emo's harbor is the ability to help someone through a hard time. Emo's ARE emotinally deep people, but not like where we wanna kill ourselves! >:C  
Serious discussion & Rants

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff