Submit

Karo Kiba

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 pm
I was just thinking about how most violinists own a lot of black clothing. My conductor expects to dress in concert black several times a year, during different seasons and weather so I do own a lot of clothing for those occasions. I also clearly remember that when I was competing in south carolina we stopped at a supermarket after a performance to get snacks and drinks. Some of the employees asked if we had just went to a funeral which was quite hilarious.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:59 pm
Well, im not a violinist, im an oboist, but yeah, I own a lot of black clothing. All our performances require black naturally.  

`Kel`
Captain

Wings

Invisible Fairy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:13 pm
Black is standard concert dress for both orchestra/choir members. It's unavoidable unless you're the soloist, or a guy wearing a tux. XD  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:15 pm
I'm a violinist and I play in an orchestra, and we always wear black. It's just a thing. Sometimes we perform with the band and we have to wear black and white to match with them. But then X3, I don't have a formal white shirt razz  

Mitang1541

IkaruTiger

550 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:17 am
I am a Euphonium player and a 1st tenor. So Tuxes are my uniform. In general all black is the normal uniform.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:13 pm
I want to try nude cool

jk xd  

Confutatis Maledictus

Asian8640

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:45 pm
As previously stated, Black is the standard concert dress. It is proper, clean, and simple. It makes you look professional. The reason for this is that orchestras and choirs are judged by how they look and play/sing. I was once invited to join an all county choir. What an honor, but i hated having to stand for hours on stage, wearing black, with one hundred and fifty kids from all over the county, and no water. meh. It was fun while it lasted. I wish though that we could cosplay while playing, though the costumes would probably get in the way. Anyway. peace out. Oh yeah, I forgot, the guys in my orchestra have to wear bow-ties, not regular ties.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:04 pm
i did that one time ^^
before my concert, i went to a grocery store with my mom
i was wearing a white shirt and black pants
and ppl thought i was a business women XD
so alot of ppl came up to me and asked me where do i work XD  

sha__mean_aka_nice224

Cat.on.the.Hill

5,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:54 am
yep black and white or just black are the colors of choice. Any pianist out there get dressed up for tests? I always put on something nice and professional looking.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:28 am
My quartet got sick of the concert black. We wore our black pants and suits, but we wore lime green shirts underneath. It was actually quite snazzy.

But for orchestra... black. black black black.  

Lime Kiss

Versatile Lover

4,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Brandisher 100

sstrunks5555

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:23 pm
I believe I've seen orchestras perform in all white. If not, then I distinctly remember a couple people having at least like, beige or something when everyone else had black? I'm not sure. I just remember seeing a few people in a different colored suit than the rest of the orchestra, even though they were sitting down too.

Also, I think the LA Phil does something to the extent of Casual Fridays where they perform in jeans and whatnot. LOL  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:00 am
I'm now officially the first chair clarinet in my school's highest band, (;o) so I'm forced to wear a tuxedo, but it's really uncomfortable, especially since my school's auditorium has really intense lights.

Other bands and lesser concerts like jazz band require white on top and black on bottom. I've never had to wear all black.

There is one concert in March, however, called the Pops concert, where we learn only fun songs, like movie medleys and themes, and other popular songs rearranged for the band. For that concert, we get to dress up in costumes. biggrin It's everybody's favourite concert, by far.  

Piroshki

Shapeshifter

pavoliona

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:49 pm
YA ME 2 IN SKOOL WE HAVE 2 WEAR ALL BLACK 4 CONCERTS razz  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:28 am
for my school, the band and ocrhestra wear white tops, black shoes and bottoms. but for choir, the girls have these floor legth black dresses that we have to wear with pearls.  

Jellyrum

Naioka

Generous Genius

8,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:34 pm
Confutatis Maledictus
I want to try nude cool

jk xd
Lmao!
I was the girl that got the symphony to change their skirts only rule for girls. But only for the cello section! sweatdrop

Classical Musicians Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff