Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Cross Necklaces? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:02 pm
People who feel the need to show off their religion sometimes annoy me. And I'm not including sikhs in this mixture, for the turban is a requirement. I'm talking about Christians. You don't need to show off your religion, and I know I'd get a lot of glares if I wore a shirt with "There Is No God" on it, or anything of the sort. So how do you feel about people who broadcast their religion?  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 am
User Image

I'm fine with people wearing a small symbol of their beliefs, like a tasteful necklace or earrings. I am not a fan of the blatant Christian t-shirts that they think are so cute that say things like "PROPERTY OF J. CHRIST" or whatever... I'd prefer that they wear those things to their churches and not force me to look at them. Likewise, a shirt from a church event or something doesn't bother me too much, unless it's one of those obnoxious "cute" things.

I guess my big thing is about tastefulness...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

55may55

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:57 pm
I agree with Daffodil, have taste.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:46 am
I agree as long as it is tasteful, then it doesn't bother me.

What annoys me is when I wear my Buddha pendent and Christians come up to me and tell me that I need to find Christ.

Moochka

6,050 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 pm
HiverReine
I agree as long as it is tasteful, then it doesn't bother me.

What annoys me is when I wear my Buddha pendent and Christians come up to me and tell me that I need to find Christ.

OOH yeah, that's the worst. My grandmother is buddhist, and so I have a buddha pendant too. (I got it for Christmas last year) I wore it one day and some girl asked me why I wasn't following god, because I'm white. Ignorant fools.

And yeah, I suppose it is all about taste. I guess a simple gold or silver cross is fine, but not one with jesus on it. I don't want to look at your neck and see a violent death scene.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:35 am
MissDemeter
I don't want to look at your neck and see a violent death scene.

rofl

Exactly! I concur, but unfortunately we are the heathens for not wearing a bloodbath around our neck. rolleyes

Moochka

6,050 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:07 pm
I don't mind people wearing cross necklaces or religious shirts, and to tell the truth, I usually don't pay attention anyways. Now, if I noticed that someone had a shirt attacking other people's beliefs, then I would probably get very annoyed.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:21 pm
"What's that 't' stand for?" -Unknown

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he's gonna want to see a ******** cross?" -Bill Hicks

I don't mind people wearing tasteful symbols of their faith. They're just expressing their beliefs in a subtle way. Also, I accidentally bought a shirt with an Om on it and I still wear it because it's pretty.

It's just when it's... GAUDY (pun intended!) or rude that I don't like. When it trashes atheists or other people who aren't Christian it's just blatantly cruel and obnoxious.

Another thing I don't like is this:
http://www.notw.com/
I see Not Of This World stickers everywhere these days. It's really arrogant. I find it hilarious that they try to make Christianity look edgy and rebellious when more than 80% of the population in the United States is Christian. Ooh, you rebel you! I'm sure you're a total outcast because of your religion, just like the dozens of kids at school who wear the exact same damn NOTW hoodie as you and the hundreds--maybe thousands--of people in your congregation!

My mom had a suggestion that made me want to make my own bumper sticker: "NOTW? GTFO!"  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:41 pm
The only thing I really hate about Christian T-shirts is that "Got Jesus?" crap and then the Reeses parody "King of the Jews". >.< I mean...seriously, these people even pray in the morning and have a quick Bible study before class starts in the Choir room, which I used to be in for Freshman choir. That's ******** up.

Thank goodness I graduated.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:28 pm
I love it when the sorasluts have a crosses hanging in their orange-tanned cleavage.

I think it's rather hypocritical for Christians to buy expensive necklaces with crosses on them. Christianity is an anti-materialist religion. Think of how many misquote nets they could buy for African children if all Christians stopped buying cross jewelry.  

MahouTragicQueen

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:55 pm
Materialism sells.

Strangely, I have a cross with a thorn halo over it with Jesus over those thorns of course. It looked Celtic to me at the time, then I started asking myself why I bought it. The only reason I'll wear it is to confuse people. Maybe I'll wear it to college with a T-shirt that says "WTF?" on it. Then I'll reference the necklace.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:06 pm
I have a few shirts from Passion Plays I was in that I want to start wearing to my atheist club events.  

MahouTragicQueen

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:50 pm
That NOTW thing made me laugh.
I'm not one to get angry if someone flaunts their religion around.
Seeing as they're going against the teachings of said religion, seems to be their problem, not mine.

In other news, I found a ring on the ground that says "HE DIED 4 ME -insert cross here- I LIVE 4 HIM".
It, again, amused me that they wrote "4" as opposed to writing out the word.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:01 pm
I don't mind jewelry with small religious symbols, although nothing too vulgar. I admit, I am turned off a bit by the necklaces, but I never say anything about it. All my friends, atheist or Christian, know I'm an atheist anyway. Not to mention the fact that one of my best friends, an atheist, always wears cross necklaces because she thinks they are pretty.

Most offensive thing I've seen a Christian wear was a shirt a girl I know and her boyfriend were sharing that said something about going to a third world country, the dates they went, and "MISSION" with the first letter I as a cross. I have a huge problem with missionaries, so I was pretty offended by it. I tried not to hint at it, though, out of politeness... but it really, really bothered me.  

eduardo galpaleano

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm
It's called freedom of expression, and what are you, the fashion police?
Their freedom stops six inches from your nose, just like your freedom stops six inches from theirs.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff