Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What religiouys texts have you read? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isaac742

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:56 pm
What religious books have you read? I personally read them because i like to understand a religion when i get in pointless debates with closed minded people.

I have read
Bible
Torah
Qur'an
Book Of mormon
Whatever Hubbard wrote about scientoligy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:07 am
I've read the Bible, that's it. Sad, isn't it? I plan on reading some others later, but I have a question, do they sell english translated versions of these texts?

And on my summer reading list is Dianetics, by L. Ron Hubbard. (That's what it's called) And where can you find it? I doubt you'd be able to find it in a bookstore, do you have to go to amazon?  

MissDemeter

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:51 pm
User Image

The Bible (including the Jewish scriptures)
excerpts from Tao Te Ching
excerpts from the Norse Eddas
working on the Book of Mormon now
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 am
i haven't read it all
but i'm reading the Bible
uh I got to Numbers  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Isaac742

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:09 am
MissDemeter
I've read the Bible, that's it. Sad, isn't it? I plan on reading some others later, but I have a question, do they sell english translated versions of these texts?

And on my summer reading list is Dianetics, by L. Ron Hubbard. (That's what it's called) And where can you find it? I doubt you'd be able to find it in a bookstore, do you have to go to amazon?

I got it at borders under scienfe fiction. NOT KIDDING  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:01 am
i only read manga lol
oh and what is up with that you must be 18 to have sex thing?
i am 13 and i j**k off all the time i mean really wtf  

Kngz

Gun Culture

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 am
My grandma made me read the Bible... I found so many loopholes in the logic I was about ready to walk out of church. The Torah has never been an interest of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:35 am
I studied the bible in school for several years. I liked it because the way we studied it was very interesting, we kept looking possible (perfectly secular) explanations for why such things were written, by whom and for what purpose. The teacher never had claimed that anything written there was inevitably true.

I also studied some parts of the Qur'an in school, I took Arabic and we had grammar, contemporary literature, classic literature and Qur'an. It was fun but it wasn't enough. I've bought it recently and I wish I could read it cover to cover. Just to know for sure what is really does or doesn't say.  

Im A Little Pea

eduardo galpaleano

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 pm
Genesis, a few random books here and there, Revelations
all of the old Pagan myths, for the most part; particularly a fan of the Norse ones
Tao Te Ching, a few Buddhist and Hindu things here and there for fun.
Never been interested in the Qur'an or Tanakh, not knowing any Muslims or Jews.*
But I suppose if I ever make friends with one of either, I'd read them.

* I do know ONE Jewish boy, but we aren't very close. We just talked in French class because we were the only two who didn't have to be reminded of what "je" and "est" were in our forth year of the class. He's not worth reading a long, complicated book over, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 am
solomon_ears222
i only read manga lol
oh and what is up with that you must be 18 to have sex thing?
i am 13 and i j**k off all the time i mean really wtf
User ImageWell, jerking off isn't having sex... but I don't know of any religious book that says you have to be 18 to have sex, they say you have to be married. Personally I dont think you need to be married but I think sex is best left to adults over age 18.. so take that as you will.

Ophiucha - I had a French class in COLLEGE wherein the teacher approached a student at the beginning of class one day and said, "Bonjour! Comment allez-vous?" and the student replied, "Je m'appelle {well really it was more like "jay map ell"} Kenya." >.>;User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:44 pm
I've only read the Satanic Bible. I've yet to finish the Holy Bible.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 am
I have read the Old Testament, "New" Testament, Qur'an, and a few others. I've tried to read Hubbard, but it just comes off as an egotistical sci-fi. Whereas of course the former come off as egotistical, but dim-witted fantasy novels.  

Ashe Winters

6,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:25 pm
EdwardHeart
I have read the Old Testament, "New" Testament, Qur'an, and a few others. I've tried to read Hubbard, but it just comes off as an egotistical sci-fi. Whereas of course the former come off as egotistical, but dim-witted fantasy novels.
There's no way in hell that any of L Ron's crap can be considered religious scripture. I got through 39 pages of Dianetics and it was a huge mind f#@k.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:58 pm
i read the book of genesis. Upon doing so, I was confused as to why someone would actually believe what it said  

adolfchrist

Moochka

6,050 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:06 pm
I studied the bible in highschool (Yeah Private Catholic school). And I always got into huge arguments with my theology teacher that ended with me in the guidance counselors office attempting to save me. rolleyes  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff