Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
YAY for in-game cheats. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YAY?
  YES, I LOVE THEM.
  NO, you cheater.
View Results

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:23 pm
I guess modern games have spoiled me.
Because I can't seem to play the sonic the hedgehog game straight to the end.
Keep in mind that this game has NO level codes OR save points.
And there are limited lives, and one hit kills.
Old games were deffinately more brutal, that's for sure.

I wouldn't be getting anywere at all if it weren't for the games very own
in-game "skip to specific level" cheat.

That's...
UP - DOWN - LEFT - RIGHT - (hold A) START

Doing this on the title screen (and it doesn't stay long) brings up the in-game list of levels. Just highlight one and hit start to pick up where you left off.

The only down side is that using this doesn't keep track of your points
It goes back to zero.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:42 pm
Lol, I don't even consider that a cheat, unless you're using it to skip levels you haven't played. That reminds me, I still need to beat Dr. Robotnik on the third Spring Yard level.  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:03 am
And I'm still on the DREADED 4th zone.
(can't remember the zone names)  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 am
You're in the Labyrinth Zone. 3nodding  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:42 am
Oh yeah. Thanks!
LOL  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:10 pm
a true gamer, playes without the cheat codes  

Tybarious

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am
I only have time to play for an hour or so, usually. So if I have to use a level code to skip to the last level I did, I can live with that.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:44 am
Tybarious

Older games are brutal.
If you've played alot of newer games.
You won't be able to play the older ones very well,
because you've gotten used to the save points and extra lives.
Do you think you could go back to it,
and get through now that you've played a ton of moddern games?  

xwhateverxdudex

Tybarious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 pm
xwhateverxdudex
Tybarious

Older games are brutal.
If you've played alot of newer games.
You won't be able to play the older ones very well,
because you've gotten used to the save points and extra lives.
Do you think you could go back to it,
and get through now that you've played a ton of moddern games?

I've played alot of older and newer games, I know its harder when going back to those older games but that just makes me want to play more, what can I say I like a challenge  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:35 pm
I have to say I'm with Ty here. I loved the challenge of the old games the new games anymore are lacking the heart, the challenge, the story, the character interaction, and so much more.

I've never used a cheat in any game I've ever played...at least not something like that. Sure I've looked up maps when I get my self so totally lost I don't even know where I started from even when I end up back there. So if that's cheating then okay I've cheated but other then that nope never have. So personally I think this skipping lvls or letting the system play for you till you can take over is BS and takes what little challenge there is in these modern games out completely.

*bows* That is my two scents sorry.  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

Tybarious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 pm
Moonracer
I have to say I'm with Ty here. I loved the challenge of the old games the new games anymore are lacking the heart, the challenge, the story, the character interaction, and so much more.

I've never used a cheat in any game I've ever played...at least not something like that. Sure I've looked up maps when I get my self so totally lost I don't even know where I started from even when I end up back there. So if that's cheating then okay I've cheated but other then that nope never have. So personally I think this skipping lvls or letting the system play for you till you can take over is BS and takes what little challenge there is in these modern games out completely.

*bows* That is my two scents sorry.

I wouldnt consider Guides cheating, you need help every so often. They're only there to point you in the right direction.

*bows to you never using a cheat code* thats something I can't I've never done sweatdrop and everytime I did I felt like I was cheating myself  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 am
I agree with what you guys are saying.
I too try to do a game at least once without any cheats.
But if a part is so hard that it stops
being "challenging fun" and starts being frustrating to the point you throw the controller to ground with a loud thump, then it's time to get help.
Because parts THAT hard get tiring if you constantly have to replay them for hour after hour. Especially if it makes you have to replay all the stuff that came before it. As is the case with games that have no level stops.
Doing it to much can make it seem tedious, and that's no fun at all.
And games should be played for entertainment.
If it's not fun anymore, then why play at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like challenging games(to a certain extent), but if I see no progress in an entire day of gaming. Then it quickly becomes tedious.  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 pm
I can understand wanting a challenge. But I don't have time to replay six levels that I've done before to get to a level that I haven't played. I just don't have that kind of time. I don't consider it cheating as long as you're not skipping levels that you haven't done yet. 3nodding I don't usually use cheats, anyway. But let me ask you this: Would you play through any modern game that uses save points WITHOUT saving, so you have to restart the whole game every time you die? If so, congrats on your dedication, and on your massive amounts of free time. If not, welcome to my world. xd

Moonracer: Character interaction? Did I read that right? blaugh Lol, old games like Sonic, Mortal Kombat, and the original Prince of Persia had zero character interaction. It was all, get from point A to point B and collect the [insert generic VG collection here]. The story was almost just as nonexistent. xd

Also, I've never seen a cheat that lets the system play for you. eek I certainly wouldn't use one; that defeats the purpose of getting the game. What kind of game have a cheat like that?

But yeah, it's all about enjoying the game. If you're not enjoying it, then maybe you shouldn't play it. But if you enjoy it, but you just don't have the time to redo the whole thing just to get to a part you haven't done yet, I don't think there's anything wrong with skipping a level.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:23 pm
Ty: Okay cool cause I didn't think they were but hey what do I know you know? lol Why thank you. You guy's wanna know the main reason I don't use cheats? Cause I don't have the first clue on how to. Even if I did I still wouldn't use them. To me throwing down the controller getting pissed off is all part of the game cause I usually go outside for a few moments come back and go, "Oh *censored* the answers was right there! I can't believe I missed that *censored*." lol

Dude: I guess to me being challenging frustrating is all part of the game. Like I send on those parts I step away for awhile then come back and see what it was I was missing or get a new look on things or try a few ideas out. See I guess repeating things don't bother me to much, oh don't get me wrong after awhile it probably would, but when it comes to games. Once I play threw it once I've got it memorized for the longest time so I can just whip threw the earlier section and be back at where I died real quick. If I see no game progress in an entire day of gaming I think it's time for a brake personally. lol

Purple: *nods* That's a good point about you not having time and playing that many lvls in one go to get back to your last lvl is hard. So I guess that's alright but still you'd think they'd have some kind of save point. Oh, I've done it on a couple of games actually. I tend to leave it on when I sleep. Uh one of the Zelda games the one's that had two games that kind of intertwined? It was on like the Gameboy Color I think it was. I couldn't figure out how to save so I plugged it in when I went to bed and left it on when I found a safe place to leave him then picked it up. ^_^;

Hey all the old games I ever played had character interaction, but you have to remember I didn't start out with the Atari or the Nintendo I started with the Sega. I had Sonic and his interaction with Tails may not have been a lot but there was at least enough, and though it was your basic storyline it had a storyline sorta. I was never into Mortal Kombat the game I sucked to bad at it. lol The games I played had stories not the greatest ones but hey they entertained me back then.

Oh I have one of the new Sonic ones has a system like that I think it was where if you get stuck the game system will play for you and you tell it when you want to pick it up again.

Ahmen sister. When I'm not enjoying a game or get bored with it I stop playing though sometimes I stop playing cause I got sidetracked by another game. Some I come back to but ones I don't like I don't.  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 am
Lol, I don't like getting pissed off at my games. If I'm pissed off at myself cuz I know I'm missing something or doing something stupid, that's okay. But if I feel like the game's working against me, I quit. xd

I don't mind repeating stuff if I have the time and it's a fun game. But like I said, time is an issue for me. sweatdrop Most of the older games didn't have any kind of save points. The early Sega games didn't, and nothing before that had them, either. Some of them had level codes so that you could restart at the last level you did. Would you consider that cheating, too? xd

The very first Sonic game didn't have save points or character interaction. It didn't have Tails, either. xd I read recently that there was a Sonic comic that came out right before the first game. Apparently, Dr. Robotnik was originally a good guy name Kintobor who invented a machine to suck all the evil out of the world. Sonic came along, accidentally busted up the machine, and all the evil transferred into the poor scientist, turning him into the bad guy. Kinda makes Sonic sound like a jerk. xd You should try some of the games before Sega. They had no character interaction at all and little or no story. xd

Wow, I don't think I would bother with a function like that. That just sounds weird. I thought the point of a video game was to be in control of it. xd

Nothing's coming.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff