Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Obama are you sick of him? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think obama will do about north korea and Iran
  do you think he will declare war? with North Korea
View Results

xxpeaceful_dreamsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 pm
I jusst wanted to know what people thought of obama and maybe things that he should do I am playing to right a letter to his office soon so if you could please povided something that would help like what you think or more ideas  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:59 pm
It probably won't do you any good to write him if your goal is to get him to change policies. Really, congress is what you write when you want to advocate policy. And even then, it only helps if your suggestion is something the congressman is clueless about and it doesn't seem to partisan. If you want to affect change, the best way to do it is by changing people's minds, not government's. Whatever your issue is, read everything you can on it. Become an expert in your interest. Debate it with people online, and learn what their counter-arguments are. Then think hard, read their sources, and refine your own position. Then, take your issue to people. Educate the uninformed, organize like minds, learn who stands where and endorse those who stand with you. It doesn't change the behavior of people in government, but it changes government to something more of your liking.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Twisted_Lover21

3,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:18 am
Lord Bitememan
It probably won't do you any good to write him if your goal is to get him to change policies. Really, congress is what you write when you want to advocate policy. And even then, it only helps if your suggestion is something the congressman is clueless about and it doesn't seem to partisan. If you want to affect change, the best way to do it is by changing people's minds, not government's. Whatever your issue is, read everything you can on it. Become an expert in your interest. Debate it with people online, and learn what their counter-arguments are. Then think hard, read their sources, and refine your own position. Then, take your issue to people. Educate the uninformed, organize like minds, learn who stands where and endorse those who stand with you. It doesn't change the behavior of people in government, but it changes government to something more of your liking.

Only one thing to add, be careful!!!!!!! As much as I hate to admit it, nowadays, the government has become more controlling than ever and if they see people talking about what the government did wrong and such, they'll find means of shutting whatever website down, we have limited resources because of the government now and the more people who get under their skin, the less "freedom" we'll have.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 am
Quote:
the government has become more controlling than ever and if they see people talking about what the government did wrong and such, they'll find means of shutting whatever website down

I would challenge you to provide an example of this having happened.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Twisted_Lover21

3,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:52 am
look up the restrictions in the scientific community over "intelligent design". If they can do shut down a website just because it was traced to "intelligent design", what makes you think that they won't do it over other things? I know a few people(my father included) who were kicked out of forums for stating what they believe and their posts deleted. The government doesn't want a challenge and as soon as they see one, they go to lengths to get rid of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:36 am
Quote:
look up the restrictions in the scientific community over "intelligent design". If they can do shut down a website just because it was traced to "intelligent design", what makes you think that they won't do it over other things?

Who's they? What sites? The only thing I could find was a web site that was shut down at Baylor University in 2007. That was hardly a case of the government shutting down a website they disagreed with. The university is an independent entity.

Quote:
I know a few people(my father included) who were kicked out of forums for stating what they believe and their posts deleted.

Again, what forums? Were they government owned/sponsored, or were they with private entities. If I bounce someone out of this forum because I don't like their opinion on Nazism, it's not a case of government censorship, it's a case of the private editorial control we wield in this forum. It has nothing to do with government censorship.

Quote:
The government doesn't want a challenge and as soon as they see one, they go to lengths to get rid of it.

You've made vague allusions to this happening, but have not given a concrete example of it.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Twisted_Lover21

3,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 am
Lord Bitememan
Quote:
look up the restrictions in the scientific community over "intelligent design". If they can do shut down a website just because it was traced to "intelligent design", what makes you think that they won't do it over other things?

Who's they? What sites? The only thing I could find was a web site that was shut down at Baylor University in 2007. That was hardly a case of the government shutting down a website they disagreed with. The university is an independent entity.

They meaning the government. University is an independent entity: That may be true, but who may I ask, do you think it was that is banning "intelligent design" from being even spoken of? Unfortunately, the government, they have control on what is taught and they won't allow it.

Lord Bitememan
Quote:
I know a few people(my father included) who were kicked out of forums for stating what they believe and their posts deleted.

Again, what forums? Were they government owned/sponsored, or were they with private entities. If I bounce someone out of this forum because I don't like their opinion on Nazism, it's not a case of government censorship, it's a case of the private editorial control we wield in this forum. It has nothing to do with government censorship.

They were government sponsored and because my father and a few others decided that they didn't want to be told what to believe, they were banned and their posts deleted.
On your last comment, there are concrete examples everywhere, you have to pay attention because you may be missing something that is very important.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:09 am
I don't know if the government is censoring websites- I've yet to see evidence of it so I hold my skepticism. The only thing I would worry about it the government discrediting their opposers, censoring or locking them up is too obvious. People who claim being censored tend to be paranoid.
Writing to your congressman(woman) will going get you so far. Too many politicians are determined to finish their checklist and appease their lobbists- not to say there aren't good politicians, there are. But many of them are not going to listen to you. And trying to change the public is difficult, because you have to get passed the authorities discrediting you- like they do to the conservative talkshow hosts.
Some people learn the hard way, sometimes people need to experience something to realize how bad it is, and Obama's true intentions will come to light and people will see him for what he is. He and the congress are arrogant enough to not keep track of what they do.  

Latopazora

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:56 am
Quote:
They meaning the government.

Again, where is your proof of this? What websites are you talking about. Just saying "the government is shutting down intelligent design websites" is useless to me. Where is your proof?

Quote:
University is an independent entity: That may be true, but who may I ask, do you think it was that is banning "intelligent design" from being even spoken of?

Where the hell is it being banned? The courts have ruled that you can't teach it in public school classrooms, that's it. If they truly banned ID from being spoken of I wouldn't be able to provide you this list of links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design
http://www.intelligentdesign.org/
http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/
http://www.iscid.org/
http://arn.org/
http://www.balancedscience.net/
http://www.iconsofevolution.com/
http://www.icr.org/
http://www.hyahya.org/

Quote:
Unfortunately, the government, they have control on what is taught and they won't allow it.

The government has control in a very limited sense over public school content. One of the big things they don't allow is the teaching of religion in public schools, and ID requires the teaching that there is either a God or a designer with God-like powers. There is virtually no proof to that claim that can be presented, tested, and falsified, so yes, the courts have a right to remove it from public schools. You are free to study it as much as you want, there is NO ban on press, reading, possessing, studying, or expressing personal belief in ID.

Quote:

They were government sponsored and because my father and a few others decided that they didn't want to be told what to believe, they were banned and their posts deleted.

WHAT WEBSITE!? I asked for this last time. If it is scienceforums.com it is NOT a government website! Does the website end in a .gov even?

Quote:
On your last comment, there are concrete examples everywhere, you have to pay attention because you may be missing something that is very important.

There are concrete examples of martians landing on people's front lawns and crapping gold bricks for them everywhere. You just have to BELIEVE. . . oops, I mean pay attention. Unless you are willing to link to an actual occurrence of this, your claim is baseless.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 pm
State courts have allowed ID to be taught in I think only two states, and even that is limited to a couple counties.

Meh the debate is useless, as ID, Creationism and Evolution are schools of thought with little evidence on the contrary to sway the others into acceptance.

I hold to Evolution without Macroevolution in aplication, that man has been around since the Creation! but Adaptation is applicable to not make new species but enough to alter much of their structure. Evidence? None, much like Creation and evolutionary Big Bang Theories.  

Vasilius Konstantinos

DudeGuyman the original

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:17 pm
he's never gonna declare war and niether will north korea we're just gonna sit here and get killed while north korea bombs us and the rest of the world we need another revolution!!!! wahmbulance idea scream  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 pm
Quote:
we're just gonna sit here and get killed while north korea bombs us

I'm forced to conclude one of two things based on this statement, either 1. you live in Hawaii, or 2. you have not read the specs on the Taepodong-2.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:56 pm
DudeGuyman the original
he's never gonna declare war and niether will north korea we're just gonna sit here and get killed while north korea bombs us and the rest of the world we need another revolution!!!! wahmbulance idea scream

Scuds away! We wont even get wet from the splashdown as they hit the water. That's unless you do live in Hawaii.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 am
ok i dont know where this guy got the idea that North Korea is gonna bomb us and i dont see any war in our future, for the moment. what i do see is that , however small the problem is, Obama will find a problem that he and all the librals supporting him can make seem big enough to put the country in military control or whatever its called, and who controls the military? Obama! once this country is under military control the constitution goes byebye. and we have to obey whatever our o so lovable president says we should no arguments because we cant, no freedom of speach anymore and we cant talk about it on websites because no freedom of press. im not saying that this WILL happen but it is likely.  

pheonix19330

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:09 pm
That's really not a possibility Phinx. The only president who was even able to suspend Habeas Corpus in this country was Lincoln, and that was after half the country had gone fully renegade. Frankly, if the country doesn't do anything dumb (and you never know on that count with all the neo-secessionist BS that gets bandied about these days) Obama will never receive the support of the military to do anything of this nature. This country just doesn't have an emergency decree provision the same way Wiemar did (which is actually where the example you cited came from). Any martial law decree from the president has to be under conditions so indisputable that nobody would think to argue with the power. That's not something you can spin your way into, you're talking a full nuclear first strike on this country or a meteor impact before anyone gives Obama these powers. Short of the, the Republican Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, the Joint Chiefs, or the Division commanders could all revolt, and you're almost assured the National Guard would revolt, as would the citizenry. Obama isn't stupid, and he doesn't want to end his days in exile or like Saddam Hussein did.  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff