Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Practice of "De-gaying" Someone Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 am
I'm sure all of you have heard of christian de-gaying camps. A parent, usually, sends their child off to a secluded location where they attempt to turn that child (teenager) straight. It's like going to church 24/7, except with exorcisms and beatings.

Sounds barbaric, right? The thing is, some adults also go to these camps to de-gay themselves. But my issue with that is, if you can "de-gay" yourself, then you weren't gay in the first place. These people are bisexual. They have to capability to love either sex, so then that means that they are bisexual! That`s the definition. An attraction to both sexes.

So, thoughts?
Do you think these people are bisexual? Or are they just kidding themselves, they're actually gay?
What do you think about these places where they do these things?
Do you believe it actually works?
And, would you ever consider sending your child to one of these places, even though you don't believe what they teach?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 pm
User ImageWell, let's be clear on what we're dealing with. These people are religious gays, specifically some form of christianity where homosexuality is a sin, so these people only want to be straight to avoid hell. With that in mind, it is no surprise that these camps exist and that both adults and parents are sending themselves and their children there. In the end, their just trying to avoid hell.

But does this really work? No. I am of the group that argues homosexuality to be a genetic occurrence (not to say that all gays are genetic gays, for even a straight person can do homosexual things if they desire, but to say a majority of gays are at a genetic predisposition), and therefore you can no more stop being gay than you can stop being black, male, and republican.

When these people leave these institutions claiming to have cured, they're lying, and have, in a way, brainwashed themselves. With work, we can convince ourselves that eating s**t is good, but that doesn't change the taste. These people can call themselves straight until they're blue in the face, but if it wasn't for their religious guilt, they'd be GAY AS HELL.

User ImageAs for your final question: If I found myself fathering a child I suspected would turn out gay, I would just move to the most accepting place possible to make his/her life as pleasant as possible. In the end, it's all I can do, but I have no reservations about homosexuality (being that I was raised by lesbians, have a gay brother in law, and roomed with a gay guy for three years, it just doesn't bother me. Not that I could sit through gay male pron or anything).

Dathu

Newbie Noob

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:00 pm
Well, well, Dathu. Very eloquently said. I have to say I agree. And that`s a good point about the brainwashing, for that is what they do.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:15 pm
De-gaying camps will always leave a feeling of self-hate. IDK.  

Ryukenzy

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:15 pm
ninja Which reminds me, did anyone see the South Park where they sent Butters to a gay camp? It was hilarious because all the "campers" kept committing suicide. xd

I mean, it was awful. ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:15 pm
Do you think these people are bisexual? Or are they just kidding themselves, they're actually gay?

well, first I have to agree that if someone can ever actually "de-gay" themselves, they weren't gay in the first place. However, I don't agree that they must be bisexual. It's likely that they were straight all along and misinterpreted their feelings toward a person of the same sex, thus thinking that they are gay; or they were gay all along, and the "de-gaying" didn't actually do anything (they think they "de-gayed", but the truth is they aren't). There is a high chance that they are bi, but even then "de-gaying" wouldn't help.

What do you think about these places where they do these things?

These places are a manmade hell and a substitution for torture prison. They put you in ice tubs and show you erotic pictures of the same sex and zap you with electricity if you get aroused. Honestly, it's not that different from the torture cells the CIAs use. And they call themselves loving, kind-hearted, good-willed followers of god...

Do you believe it actually works?

No. Absolutely no. Sexual preference, contrary to popular belief, is NOT a life choice. You don't go, "Hey, wait a moment. Before I fall in love with this person, let me check if that's a he or she", just as you don't go, "Hey, before I fall in love with this guy/girl, let me check if he/she's white or black". If you do that, you're one foot stuck in the 1950's when blacks were persecuted like hell. And even if you go through torture, you will not be able to suppress that attraction you feel. The people who went through the camps and said they are successfully "de-gayed" are lying. They still feel the attraction. They just don't admit or tell anyone because they are afraid of going to the camp again or of hell.

And, would you ever consider sending your child to one of these places, even though you don't believe what they teach?

I think the answer is pretty obvious from my last answer. NO. For the love of goodness why would I send my child to torture? And these people are all saying they're anti-child abuse? And they send their children to ice tubs and electric chairs. Right. I can totally see their anti-child abuse sentiment...  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Lordress Viper

Beloved Goat

13,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 am
De-gaying camps? This is actually the first time I've ever heard of such a place. I find that extremely ridiculous that people would make such a place. Just when I thought people could not get any more insane I hear this. stressed  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:29 pm
Has anyone seen the footage of the gay exorcism? Its pretty sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Bl94Xby4g  

Zambimaru

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:24 pm
Zambimaru

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Bl94Xby4g

User Image
Damn "soul murderers," be GONE!!! *Waves hands wildly!*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:05 am
Zambimaru

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Bl94Xby4g

Yeah, that recent... incident... is what sort of sparked me to make this topic. Of course, I've known all about these hellish places for a long time. (Not really, only 2-3 years) But I was reminded of them when I saw that. I watched a small portion, but I just got so angry I couldn't continue watching it.  

MissDemeter

Czstwyb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:46 pm
Very few things make me anger me more than intolerance toward, or outright denial of homosexuality. People who think their opinions should dictate the lives of others disgust me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:15 pm
Oh i heard about that through You Tube from a Chanel called TYT.
I can't believe they would do that, it's ridiculous! I feel so bad for those kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29tDh21GGg

They even sing too it! like their doing good! Gah, what have people turned too!  

AiRilakkuma

1,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Dark Lord Erebus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:41 am
why do these nut jobs think there doing, they screw with these kids heads with their religion so when their being beaten they can easily die from the injures, what they believe happens to your body when their doing it (like if their told they'll feel like their on fire) or just the pure shock, it's actually scary.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:09 am
Czstwyb
People who think their opinions should dictate the lives of others disgust me.

Hear hear!  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Matthias Swan

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:47 am
There was a South Park episode on this. It was hilarious. Poor Butters, so confused.

And since Dathu pulled words out of my brain, not much I can say other than pulling a Godwin and compare these things to the Nazis. Sure, none of these kids are killed, but even christians believe that just by insulting someone, you kill a part of their character and is thus a form of murder. (I went to church a couple times recently, and they really said this).

So if beatings are a step or two above verbal insults, these people are personality-butchers.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff