Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Study (Research)
HR Giger and the world of Alien and Molly, Eater of AIDS Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dost thou knowest the most secreteth internalestth secreteth ofth godth?
  no, i'm a poll ho
  yesth, godth giveseth hiseth holyth wisdometh witheth ath lispth
View Results

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:04 pm
as i was strolling through the hallowed halls of barnes and noble, i happened to notice a face staring at me. well, more like a decapitated head. with skulls. and snakes. and some mighty odd looking knives(? i think that's what they are....). and the world's ugliest graffiti artists.

matter of fact, the more i looked at it, the more i saw.

the name of this face?

No. 251, Li II. (here is a copy of it- http://media.photobucket.com/image/No. 251, Li II HR Giger/djboehrer3/giger.jpg i had a better one but the link crapped out on me)

the artist's name is HR Giger. the book/slash print thingie is HR Giger Portfolio by the Taschen company. for ten bucks, i am elated, creeped out, and so totally weasels (which needs more explaination than i care to give).

i also discovered that Mr. Giger also designed the aliens in the Alien movies with sigourney weaver (though he did not design her), as well as the sets in the same movies.
(a picture of an alien and his mommy- http://api.ning.com/files/SI-J*e*4HRwuojzwKyTZYACtyeaAvx*jxe7-YYRBONbXI2WXzASMRQY98-KdZ-AWlkEs0JlArr0yDmYftpcZ6B1*UK-OQ1Rw/AlienQueen.jpg)5

which leads me to my nefarious idea- *insert evil chuckle*

what would happen if one of these drawings, or the Alien model itself, were used as servitor models?

i can think of several nasty ideas just with the aliens, not to mention the fourteen drawings in this book.

ideas? thoughts? anyone done this before?

more interestingly, anyone want to do it?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:16 pm
bumping my own thread... le sigh. though i must wonder, i have had 2 votes on my poll but no one replies? O.o  

erinnightwalker

Magus Initi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:00 pm
What do you mean by servitor?

It's not a term I'm familiar with, and when I google it, the results I'm getting:

"Servitor, an Oxford University undergraduate student who received free accommodation

Servitors, menial laborers of the Tech-Priests in the Warhammer 40,000 universe

Imar the Servitor, a 1914 American silent film

The Knights Servitors, part of an ancient order of knighthood for priests

Servitors of the Outer Gods in the Cthulhu Mythos"

I think you might need to explain this better. What do you mean, "used as models"? Also, I have the spectrum edition that has that image. It's pretty nice.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:38 pm
sorry, i thought everyone knew that XD my bad....

a servitor is a magical construct. they are similar to fetches, artificial elementals, and just about any human-created "spirit" that has a particular function. an example would be an astral dog/wolf/big nasty sharp-toothed thing that you visualized and created to protect you. the catch is, you create it. it is made of your own power (and/or that of whoever or whatever helps you). it is not a power animal or an independent being unless you make it so. by using giger's drawings, theoretically one could draw on all the power and emotion that has ever been given to that drawing and make a very interesting servitor. the term and idea of servitors comes from chaos magic (at least that's where i found them), and is the basic step in turning an idea into a god. (and no, i don't really want to turn alien into a god. as of right now, this is more of an exercise in magical theory, so to speak.)

now, take all of that, and add it to this- wouldn't an alien make a hellacious guardian? especially if it was so made that any "badness" or anything that it perceives as truly dangerous to you got facehugged, creating yet another guardian for you? since it already fits into the common perception of the alien's behavior, it wouldn't take that much to alter it into that behavior pattern, either.

this is the sort of thoughts that happen to me when my mind is allowed to wander all alone in itself ^_^  

erinnightwalker

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:50 am
I like the way you think. I seriously hope you actually do this at one point, because damn, it's an awesome idea. Tangentially, I've been half-planning making a servitor that resembles the Flatwoods Monster with the purpose of inspiring fear: having it look like the F.M makes it handy, since I'm shitscared of the F.M in the first place. |D

While not H.R. Giger related, I do know that there are a bunch of magicians within the DomusKaotica/Marauder Underground who made a paradigm based on entities that resembled Clive Barker's "Cenobites" from Hellraiser. Creepy stuff.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:51 pm
Oh, very neat! I've never studied Chaos Magic in depth, but that is a very interesting concept that I will definitely have to look into.

I have read a little bit about creating "guardian angels", though. I wonder if it is similar. If it is, I wonder if you can make your guardian any shape you wish it to be, and have it serve the same purpose.

Hmm..  

Magus Initi

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 pm
Mitsh
I like the way you think. I seriously hope you actually do this at one point, because damn, it's an awesome idea. Tangentially, I've been half-planning making a servitor that resembles the Flatwoods Monster with the purpose of inspiring fear: having it look like the F.M makes it handy, since I'm shitscared of the F.M in the first place. |D

While not H.R. Giger related, I do know that there are a bunch of magicians within the DomusKaotica/Marauder Underground who made a paradigm based on entities that resembled Clive Barker's "Cenobites" from Hellraiser. Creepy stuff.

i've noticed that (your flatwoods monster thing) as i puttered around the forums smile

i'm not sure if i will do this with the aliens though, because i don't really have a need for it at this time. it just hit me one day that giger's work is so incredibly creepy that it would be a very interesting experiment.

i just thought of another thing that could be done... especially if you wanted to do the shamanic self destruction thing... O.o  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:47 pm
Magus Young
Oh, very neat! I've never studied Chaos Magic in depth, but that is a very interesting concept that I will definitely have to look into.

I have read a little bit about creating "guardian angels", though. I wonder if it is similar. If it is, I wonder if you can make your guardian any shape you wish it to be, and have it serve the same purpose.

Hmm..

i would say, yes. like, right now, i have a created servitor working on a task for me. its bound to a ceramic face i made, but it doesn't technically need an anchor. they can do more than just guard- any purpose you can think of, you can make a servitor to do it.

a good book is The Witch's Familiar by Raven Grimassi. the process he describes as creating a familiar is similar to creating a self aware servitor. however, if the task is simple and/or you want a definite time limit on the servitor's lifespan, then there are any number of ways to create one. since you make it, it will look like whatever you want it to.

as for how it gets energy, that can vary. my current servitor, i keep active by giving it energy every day. if i didn't, then she would go dormant in the face until i gave her her next task. however, i have been playing around with the idea of making a "solar cell and battery" type thing so i wouldn't have to add energy each day. i suppose it could be a lunar cell just as easily.... but i'm still working on it XD  

erinnightwalker

Magus Initi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 am
erinnightwalker
Magus Young

Hmm..

i would say, yes. like, right now, i have a created servitor working on a task for me. its bound to a ceramic face i made, but it doesn't technically need an anchor. they can do more than just guard- any purpose you can think of, you can make a servitor to do it.

a good book is The Witch's Familiar by Raven Grimassi. the process he describes as creating a familiar is similar to creating a self aware servitor. however, if the task is simple and/or you want a definite time limit on the servitor's lifespan, then there are any number of ways to create one. since you make it, it will look like whatever you want it to.

as for how it gets energy, that can vary. my current servitor, i keep active by giving it energy every day. if i didn't, then she would go dormant in the face until i gave her her next task. however, i have been playing around with the idea of making a "solar cell and battery" type thing so i wouldn't have to add energy each day. i suppose it could be a lunar cell just as easily.... but i'm still working on it XD

Wow, that is fascinating! The things I'm mainly wondering/curious/worried about are:

Can a servitor "backfire" or betray, abandon, or otherwise harm you?

What sort of tasks are they commonly used for?

Besides the solar or lunar cells, is there a way you can create them to be self-sustaining? Does a larger one take more energy?

Can you create a servitor to protect someone else, or a specific property? Is there a limit on how many servitors you can have?

Sorry for so many questions! maybe I should just shut up and go get the book. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:35 pm
Magus Young
erinnightwalker
Magus Young

Hmm..

Wow, that is fascinating! The things I'm mainly wondering/curious/worried about are:

Besides the solar or lunar cells, is there a way you can create them to be self-sustaining? Does a larger one take more energy?

Can you create a servitor to protect someone else, or a specific property? Is there a limit on how many servitors you can have?

Sorry for so many questions! maybe I should just shut up and go get the book. XD

i do recommend reading it smile but i like answering questions anyway XD besides, he explains it from a wiccan/strega point of view, and there are other ways of doing it.

from the top...
1)a servitor can get away from you unless you are very careful. unless you are willing to put in the time and thought to making a self-sustaining one, its generally easier to make one for a specific time period. then, at the end of the time period, you can dissolve it and it won't cause you any more trouble (grimassi has a very neat way to accomplish this, which is why i recommend the book. but, again, its more of a personal choice how you want to do it). the common timeframe tends to be a week. what people seem to be most worried about is the servitor turning into a "vampire" and attaching itself to you, taking the energy it needs to survive instead of using what you give it. that's why you need to be careful and damn sure you have firm control over what you create. having a physical focus helps because if everything goes wrong you can destroy the focus, thereby destroying the servitor.

2) servitors are limited only by your imagination. examples that i've heard of include one to warp time (apparently he ended up attaining some sort of divinity, but i've never met him so i don't know), a finder (find whatever the person wanted), half a squintillion of guardians (i don't include those that were summoned, like a power animal or anything other spirit, because the person being guarded didn't create them, they just call upon them). ones that i've made, or contemplated making, are my face-girls (two faces that find what i want them to when focused through a specific powder and stone selection), a spider to help get the car i wanted (and it worked quite well too, especially since it was a limited function-type one), the alien that this topic is about (haven't made it because i don't think i need one yet), two dragonlings (purely incorporeal- i need to make them a focus so they don't flicker so badly), a virus named molly that wants to eat cancer and AIDS (and i really need some help getting her out there. i just haven't figured out how yet... any ideas would be welcome!), and a as-of-yet unactivated one that would watch a specific person or place until summoned back to report. these are just examples. give me an example of a situation and i bet you ten fish baits that i can think of a servitor that would fit it. they are a wonderfully flexible category of magic.

3) i haven't yet perfected the cell idea, but i'm sure there must be a way. the problems, as i see them (feel free to add to them if you want XD) is that if you make it self sustaining, you'll have to make it smart enough to survive without you. if you made it flawed to begin with, then you're just begging for something nasty to happen. i have heard of self-sustaining servitors (they aren't always called that, of course, but the principle is the same) and they always eventually showed behaviour outside of the original parameters. in the cases i can think of, the new behavior was positive, but that doesn't mean that it will always be the case (one was fotamecus- the virus who would be timelord, and the other was mara, created by janet and stewart farrar {and talked about in their book A Witches Bible} to protect seals). as for size, i don't think thats what would take energy. i mean, (to use teh scientific speak) a hologram that only had to stand there and look scary wouldn't take nearly as much energy to run as a robot with 50 caliber machine guns in both arms. the complexity of the task is what determines energy consumption, not how "big" it is. to carry that further, a self aware servitor would take more energy than a none-aware one to function (think toaster oven vs. cyborg, in energy bills). in the case of fotamecus (before he became more than just a servitor) he was given energy and then performed the task. Mara, on the other hand, was only given energy during her creation and once afterwards, i think. if i understand what they did correctly, she is now the guardian spirit of the whole island that the seals spawn on, and therefore draws her energy from the whole island.

4) you can most definitely create a servitor to protect someone else/ property. i would recommend telling the other person first, of course (might be a little disconcerting to start seeing aliens out the corner of your eye and not know why, no?), unless, of course, the purpose is to scare the living crap out of them. they can definitely protect a space- you just need to figure out the manner in which you want them to. i'd say the limit on servitors depends on your energy level. if you can pass out energy to fifty servitors a day and wash the dog, more power to you. i would recommend quality over quantity though. start out slow, make little ones that you can practice with, and only make as many big ones as you can handle. for example, out of all the ones i have made/am currently running: the face is dormant unless i actively use her, the spider was a one-time thing, very short term (wasn't in use for more than two hours), the alien isn't even made yet, the dragonlings are very much a part of me and draw as needed (they are more like extensions of myself), molly isn't yet sent out into the world (i need help with that....), and the watcher isn't activated at all. so i only have three currently active.

the book is good, but there are more ways than just his. he gives a clear set of instructions, though, and the theory is sound. servitors aren't limited to just chaos magic, as shown by the book (since he isn't a chaote), i just find it easier to refer to them as servitors than artificial elementals or whatever else they are called XD

and don't worry about asking questions- in answering them i remember things i have forgotten, and it gives me a chance to flex my brain twisted !  

erinnightwalker

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:36 pm
and in writing that reply of doom, i actually timed out of gaia XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:48 pm
erinnightwalker
Magus Young

i do recommend reading it smile but i like answering questions anyway XD besides, he explains it from a wiccan/strega point of view, and there are other ways of doing it.

from the top...
1)a servitor can get away from you unless you are very careful. unless you are willing to put in the time and thought to making a self-sustaining one, its generally easier to make one for a specific time period. then, at the end of the time period, you can dissolve it and it won't cause you any more trouble (grimassi has a very neat way to accomplish this, which is why i recommend the book. but, again, its more of a personal choice how you want to do it). the common timeframe tends to be a week. what people seem to be most worried about is the servitor turning into a "vampire" and attaching itself to you, taking the energy it needs to survive instead of using what you give it. that's why you need to be careful and damn sure you have firm control over what you create. having a physical focus helps because if everything goes wrong you can destroy the focus, thereby destroying the servitor.

2) servitors are limited only by your imagination. examples that i've heard of include one to warp time (apparently he ended up attaining some sort of divinity, but i've never met him so i don't know), a finder (find whatever the person wanted), half a squintillion of guardians (i don't include those that were summoned, like a power animal or anything other spirit, because the person being guarded didn't create them, they just call upon them). ones that i've made, or contemplated making, are my face-girls (two faces that find what i want them to when focused through a specific powder and stone selection), a spider to help get the car i wanted (and it worked quite well too, especially since it was a limited function-type one), the alien that this topic is about (haven't made it because i don't think i need one yet), two dragonlings (purely incorporeal- i need to make them a focus so they don't flicker so badly), a virus named molly that wants to eat cancer and AIDS (and i really need some help getting her out there. i just haven't figured out how yet... any ideas would be welcome!), and a as-of-yet unactivated one that would watch a specific person or place until summoned back to report. these are just examples. give me an example of a situation and i bet you ten fish baits that i can think of a servitor that would fit it. they are a wonderfully flexible category of magic.

3) i haven't yet perfected the cell idea, but i'm sure there must be a way. the problems, as i see them (feel free to add to them if you want XD) is that if you make it self sustaining, you'll have to make it smart enough to survive without you. if you made it flawed to begin with, then you're just begging for something nasty to happen. i have heard of self-sustaining servitors (they aren't always called that, of course, but the principle is the same) and they always eventually showed behaviour outside of the original parameters. in the cases i can think of, the new behavior was positive, but that doesn't mean that it will always be the case (one was fotamecus- the virus who would be timelord, and the other was mara, created by janet and stewart farrar {and talked about in their book A Witches Bible} to protect seals). as for size, i don't think thats what would take energy. i mean, (to use teh scientific speak) a hologram that only had to stand there and look scary wouldn't take nearly as much energy to run as a robot with 50 caliber machine guns in both arms. the complexity of the task is what determines energy consumption, not how "big" it is. to carry that further, a self aware servitor would take more energy than a none-aware one to function (think toaster oven vs. cyborg, in energy bills). in the case of fotamecus (before he became more than just a servitor) he was given energy and then performed the task. Mara, on the other hand, was only given energy during her creation and once afterwards, i think. if i understand what they did correctly, she is now the guardian spirit of the whole island that the seals spawn on, and therefore draws her energy from the whole island.

4) you can most definitely create a servitor to protect someone else/ property. i would recommend telling the other person first, of course (might be a little disconcerting to start seeing aliens out the corner of your eye and not know why, no?), unless, of course, the purpose is to scare the living crap out of them. they can definitely protect a space- you just need to figure out the manner in which you want them to. i'd say the limit on servitors depends on your energy level. if you can pass out energy to fifty servitors a day and wash the dog, more power to you. i would recommend quality over quantity though. start out slow, make little ones that you can practice with, and only make as many big ones as you can handle. for example, out of all the ones i have made/am currently running: the face is dormant unless i actively use her, the spider was a one-time thing, very short term (wasn't in use for more than two hours), the alien isn't even made yet, the dragonlings are very much a part of me and draw as needed (they are more like extensions of myself), molly isn't yet sent out into the world (i need help with that....), and the watcher isn't activated at all. so i only have three currently active.

the book is good, but there are more ways than just his. he gives a clear set of instructions, though, and the theory is sound. servitors aren't limited to just chaos magic, as shown by the book (since he isn't a chaote), i just find it easier to refer to them as servitors than artificial elementals or whatever else they are called XD

and don't worry about asking questions- in answering them i remember things i have forgotten, and it gives me a chance to flex my brain twisted !

Thank you for your very awesome, in-depth answers! I have responses to them and more questions! XD

1. So it would it be a good idea to make something small and generally weak as practice? Like, for example I could make a small creature to play with my cat? If that were it's task, would my cat be able to see it, or at least know it's there? Would a drawing work as a physical focus?

2. Very cool. As for the virus that eats cancer and aids, what you need to do is figure out how to make it transmittable and multiply, like a regular virus. You might also have to be specific, since cancer cells are different depending on the type. Perhaps it can't necessarily eat the disease, but perhaps it can prevent it from doing the things that it needs to grow and sustain itself. The fastest way a virus can transfer is if it's an airborne thing, and transmittable from person to person. It could sustain itself by "eating" the disease, and once the disease is dead, the virus would leave that person's body and seek out the next nearest food source, the next cancer/aids patient.

I don't have any fishbait, but I will still give you an example XD. How about a servitor that can locate lost or forgotten "treasures" and tell you where to find them? How about one that would sit on your shoulder and whisper in your ear if someone meant you harm. Like if you're walking down the street at night, you know?

How easy is it to speak with, understand, or see a servitor? Can you see them like anything else when you want to, or is it something you see and hear in your mind? And elder I know has a familiar (an opossum) that he says he has worked with for so long he can see it clear as day.

3. In the guardian angel book that I read, it talked about a woman who made a being that looked like a monk, and after a while it became troublesome and she had to dissolve him. It didn't go into specifics, though.

4. Very interesting! What if the property you want to protect is like, an hour and a half away by car? Since I assume the servitor would have to come back occasionally for energy, does it have to take time to travel, or does space not effect them the same way?

(I also timed out on reading and responding, lol)  

Magus Initi

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:57 pm
Magus Young

Thank you for your very awesome, in-depth answers! I have responses to them and more questions! XD

1. So it would it be a good idea to make something small and generally weak as practice? Like, for example I could make a small creature to play with my cat? If that were it's task, would my cat be able to see it, or at least know it's there? Would a drawing work as a physical focus?

2. Very cool. As for the virus that eats cancer and aids, what you need to do is figure out how to make it transmittable and multiply, like a regular virus. You might also have to be specific, since cancer cells are different depending on the type. Perhaps it can't necessarily eat the disease, but perhaps it can prevent it from doing the things that it needs to grow and sustain itself. The fastest way a virus can transfer is if it's an airborne thing, and transmittable from person to person. It could sustain itself by "eating" the disease, and once the disease is dead, the virus would leave that person's body and seek out the next nearest food source, the next cancer/aids patient.

I don't have any fishbait, but I will still give you an example XD. How about a servitor that can locate lost or forgotten "treasures" and tell you where to find them? How about one that would sit on your shoulder and whisper in your ear if someone meant you harm. Like if you're walking down the street at night, you know?

How easy is it to speak with, understand, or see a servitor? Can you see them like anything else when you want to, or is it something you see and hear in your mind? And elder I know has a familiar (an opossum) that he says he has worked with for so long he can see it clear as day.

3. In the guardian angel book that I read, it talked about a woman who made a being that looked like a monk, and after a while it became troublesome and she had to dissolve him. It didn't go into specifics, though.

4. Very interesting! What if the property you want to protect is like, an hour and a half away by car? Since I assume the servitor would have to come back occasionally for energy, does it have to take time to travel, or does space not effect them the same way?

(I also timed out on reading and responding, lol)

(i hope you don't mind that i cut down the quote XD it was getting a wee bit long)

1) i would go for simple instead of weak, unless you just like practicing that way. like my aforementioned spider, i just made a ball of energy, formed it into a jumping spider (because i like them XD) and set it on the car i wanted. i specified that it would be under a thousand dollars and would go to us (me and my dad, since he was the one who was bidding at the car auction). it "spun" its silk over the car, cocooned it, and we got it for less then a thousand dollars (a bit more for title transfer and all that stuff). once we got it, it unspun its web, returned to me, and i reabsorbed him. it wasn't a weak servitor, but it was a simple one- get the car for a specific amount. as for your cat, does she see energy already? if not, if she can't see it there's not much reason to make it XD also, if she's not a playful cat already, it could end up being a mouse she can never catch (i'm not saying don't do it, just make sure you don't drive your cat insane). maybe practice making a servitor when you lose your keys? or similar simple jobs. smile
molly and the watcher have drawings i did as their focus. a focus can be anything from a drawing to a rock to a statue. the durability of the material influences the servitor and how it functions.like my drawings- depending on how i burn them, burning the drawings could either destroy them or set them completely free of my influence. it all depends on how you think of it. as i said before, a focus isn't strictly necessary but it does give you a greater degree of control, and allows you to concentrate on more than just maintaining the servitor.

2) the thing about molly is that she may not technically be a servitor. i drew her one day and she looks nothing like what i normally draw. i may have channeled her or something, but she is very emphatic on what she wants. i'll have to find the stuff on fotamecus because he was a viral servitor, and it makes a lot more sense when his creator explains them then when i try to paraphrase. the problem i see is, if she eats all the aids and cancer (a hypothetical situation, but one that needs to be thought of), what will happen then? by then, if she had achieved that, she would be quite powerful and i'm not sure what would happen...
depends on your idea of treasure. i can go into a thrift store and find all sorts of treasure that another person would call junk. but yes, you could make one smile the shape is the only thing that would take some thinking, and that's more of a personal choice. the shoulder watcher would be easy, though it probably would have to be a smarter one. if it were for me, i'd start thinking of something with wings. you might even be able to add something to it so it could "whisper" them away (that little voice in the back of the head that says it's not worth the trouble to bother you...).
it really depends on how sensitive you are to energy and spirits and what kind of servitor you are communicating with. a smart one would probably communicate more clearly, a "simple" one more with feelings. some people see spirits, some hear them, some just get a feeling about what they want. i'm not a very reliable sensor of energy but i'm a very strong visualizer, so it evens out for me but i do have to work around my weaknesses. unless your elder created the opossum, i think that its an independent spirit that he called or invited but didn't *create*. however, familiarity should make seeing any spirit easier to see. (on a side note, possums scare the living crap outta me XD i saw one bigger than my cat one day and it grinned at me O.O)

3)your guess is as good as mine on that one. without know specifics, anything could have gone wrong. she could have based him too much on a real person and got half a poltergiest, or just didn't keep him in line enough. you are responsible for whatever you create, and creating something that complex requires careful thought and planning (which is where the focus comes in handy as an emergency "oh s**t" button- when you end up saying "oh s**t", its time to destroy the focus XD)

4)i would recommend sealing the servitor in an object as a focus and leaving the focus in the location, if you can. setting up a "battery" would probably help- then trips could be spaced out and be more of a maintenance thing. or, you could make a set of twin foci for the servitor and set one there and keep one with you. then you could just send the energy along the connection. or if you can't leave anything there, then take something away, like a rock or soil or a twig then set up the servitor. the servitor would then be able to stay in the area at all times and you would have a connection to send energy to it. since its not really physical, our space doesn't matter to any traveling spirit. i'm not too sure how travel translates for them, though. the reason i'd put the servitor on the actual place would be so it knows where its supposed to protect. depending on how smart you make it, it could get confused and not remember where or what it's supposed to be guarding. for example, my face-girl is out looking for something. i don't want to yank her back if she's onto a good lead, so i leave the energy in the focus so she can take it as she needs it. she's smart enough to come back when she needs it, and i don't have to constantly feed her energy all day long.

feel free to ask for explanations- i'm sure its not as clear as it could be....

bwahaha! another timeout XD!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 am
erinnightwalker
(i hope you don't mind that i cut down the quote XD it was getting a wee bit long)

1) i would go for simple instead of weak, unless you just like practicing that way. like my aforementioned spider, i just made a ball of energy, formed it into a jumping spider (because i like them XD) and set it on the car i wanted. i specified that it would be under a thousand dollars and would go to us (me and my dad, since he was the one who was bidding at the car auction). it "spun" its silk over the car, cocooned it, and we got it for less then a thousand dollars (a bit more for title transfer and all that stuff). once we got it, it unspun its web, returned to me, and i reabsorbed him. it wasn't a weak servitor, but it was a simple one- get the car for a specific amount. as for your cat, does she see energy already? if not, if she can't see it there's not much reason to make it XD also, if she's not a playful cat already, it could end up being a mouse she can never catch (i'm not saying don't do it, just make sure you don't drive your cat insane). maybe practice making a servitor when you lose your keys? or similar simple jobs. smile
molly and the watcher have drawings i did as their focus. a focus can be anything from a drawing to a rock to a statue. the durability of the material influences the servitor and how it functions.like my drawings- depending on how i burn them, burning the drawings could either destroy them or set them completely free of my influence. it all depends on how you think of it. as i said before, a focus isn't strictly necessary but it does give you a greater degree of control, and allows you to concentrate on more than just maintaining the servitor.

2) the thing about molly is that she may not technically be a servitor. i drew her one day and she looks nothing like what i normally draw. i may have channeled her or something, but she is very emphatic on what she wants. i'll have to find the stuff on fotamecus because he was a viral servitor, and it makes a lot more sense when his creator explains them then when i try to paraphrase. the problem i see is, if she eats all the aids and cancer (a hypothetical situation, but one that needs to be thought of), what will happen then? by then, if she had achieved that, she would be quite powerful and i'm not sure what would happen...
depends on your idea of treasure. i can go into a thrift store and find all sorts of treasure that another person would call junk. but yes, you could make one smile the shape is the only thing that would take some thinking, and that's more of a personal choice. the shoulder watcher would be easy, though it probably would have to be a smarter one. if it were for me, i'd start thinking of something with wings. you might even be able to add something to it so it could "whisper" them away (that little voice in the back of the head that says it's not worth the trouble to bother you...).
it really depends on how sensitive you are to energy and spirits and what kind of servitor you are communicating with. a smart one would probably communicate more clearly, a "simple" one more with feelings. some people see spirits, some hear them, some just get a feeling about what they want. i'm not a very reliable sensor of energy but i'm a very strong visualizer, so it evens out for me but i do have to work around my weaknesses. unless your elder created the opossum, i think that its an independent spirit that he called or invited but didn't *create*. however, familiarity should make seeing any spirit easier to see. (on a side note, possums scare the living crap outta me XD i saw one bigger than my cat one day and it grinned at me O.O)

3)your guess is as good as mine on that one. without know specifics, anything could have gone wrong. she could have based him too much on a real person and got half a poltergiest, or just didn't keep him in line enough. you are responsible for whatever you create, and creating something that complex requires careful thought and planning (which is where the focus comes in handy as an emergency "oh s**t" button- when you end up saying "oh s**t", its time to destroy the focus XD)

4)i would recommend sealing the servitor in an object as a focus and leaving the focus in the location, if you can. setting up a "battery" would probably help- then trips could be spaced out and be more of a maintenance thing. or, you could make a set of twin foci for the servitor and set one there and keep one with you. then you could just send the energy along the connection. or if you can't leave anything there, then take something away, like a rock or soil or a twig then set up the servitor. the servitor would then be able to stay in the area at all times and you would have a connection to send energy to it. since its not really physical, our space doesn't matter to any traveling spirit. i'm not too sure how travel translates for them, though. the reason i'd put the servitor on the actual place would be so it knows where its supposed to protect. depending on how smart you make it, it could get confused and not remember where or what it's supposed to be guarding. for example, my face-girl is out looking for something. i don't want to yank her back if she's onto a good lead, so i leave the energy in the focus so she can take it as she needs it. she's smart enough to come back when she needs it, and i don't have to constantly feed her energy all day long.

feel free to ask for explanations- i'm sure its not as clear as it could be....

bwahaha! another timeout XD!

Sorry I didn't respond for so long, my family grabbed me and pulled me off for a weekend getaway, lol.

Thank you for your answers, I will definitely look into Servitors. However, I do have one more question, before I go out and buy a book.

Exactly what are they? I know it is a constructed entity, but exactly how is a ball of energy molded and given a pseudo-life by us? I told my boyfriend a little about servitors, and he doesn't like the idea at all. He said, "you have no right to create spirits, that is the realm of God. You don't have the authority to do that." And I kinda think that he's right. I mean, who am I to make conscious beings, even if they're only a little conscious?  

Magus Initi

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:45 am
Magus Young

Sorry I didn't respond for so long, my family grabbed me and pulled me off for a weekend getaway, lol.

Thank you for your answers, I will definitely look into Servitors. However, I do have one more question, before I go out and buy a book.

Exactly what are they? I know it is a constructed entity, but exactly how is a ball of energy molded and given a pseudo-life by us? I told my boyfriend a little about servitors, and he doesn't like the idea at all. He said, "you have no right to create spirits, that is the realm of God. You don't have the authority to do that." And I kinda think that he's right. I mean, who am I to make conscious beings, even if they're only a little conscious?

really, i think thats a point of view thing. if you want to get the blessings of your chosen god when you make them, then in that way a god did have a hand in their making. if you take the point of view that they are really just little shards of yourself, temporarily isolated and split away so you can concentrate on more that just that one task, then thats what they are. if you think that they are just little automata, carrying out your orders then dissolving with nothing more than the semblance of life then thats what they are too. belief is truly the only factor.
they way that i look at making truly conscious servitors is the same way i look at having children. in both cases its a long term investment of time and energy. in both cases, though i may raise them and love them and shape them as much as a can, they will leave and grow beyond my full control. thats why i'm so careful about making a servitor like that, because its not so much a servitor anymore as a spirit with its own mind and method. some people may make fully conscious servitors like they make children- without full awareness of the responsibility involved in creating a conscious being. i view them in the same way- as anything from foolish to dangerous.

life will always create life, whether or not the creation is clothed in flesh.

i recommend going to the library before buying a book. also, i can post some links to chaos magic articles about servitors as soon as i get back to my laptop (i'm currently across the country right now XD)  
The Study (Research)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff