Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Most Discriminated Aginst? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

migoto-kami

Greedy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:30 am
I was reading some stuff online and came across this article.

http://civil-liberties.tribe.net/thread/a29f6d3a-4742-4cb0-aa98-4c6a922bcd6c

Basically it reads that Atheists are the least trusted and most discriminated group in America. Do agree? Have you ever felt discriminated against?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:59 pm
Hmm. That may be the case, but the thing is, no one can look at you and say, "That guy's an atheist." Unless, of course, you're wearing something saying you are. So, in every day life, I would have trouble believing that atheists face more discrimination than other groups (though that's not to say known atheists don't face discrimination). As far as people mentally and verbally discriminating against atheists as a group? Perhaps.

I will say that I've felt discriminated against as part of the group, especially by things like this quote by George H. W. Bush: "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." It's a shame that people are so ignorant as to ignore the first amendment completely (not to mention overlook the fact that the pledge was rewritten to include that part) and say that we shouldn't be considered citizens nor patriots. If anything, saying that we shouldn't be considered citizens is infinitely more unpatriotic than being atheist would ever be.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Hmmm....

I don't usually tell people that I'm athiest. In fact, I never tell them unless they ask me or I need to say it (because they want me to participate in some religious activity or something) because I don't really think it matters that much. Also, I don't tell people because I've always worried about being discriminated against because of it...I do live in a pretty liberal state so it isn't really a problem anyways, but I've always just kept that information under the radar.

So I guess the fact that I have to worry about being discriminated against would count for something.

I hear these "horror stories" of discrimination against athiests from states in the Bible Belt, and that puts me on edge a bit.... confused  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:11 pm
I guess since my friends mom is extremely religious and my friend had the wonderful idea of telling her I'm an atheist. Now she tries to convert me and doesn't seem to like me as much as before. I've been told so many times I'm going to hell too lol  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:16 pm
I'm Agnostic, but sometimes people would just take that as the same thing, so I don't mention it uness asked. I don't want someone to call a priest on me and try to do an exorcism or something. stare  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:26 pm
Kyoko364
I'm Agnostic, but sometimes people would just take that as the same thing, so I don't mention it uness asked. I don't want someone to call a priest on me and try to do an exorcism or something. stare

xd I've always wanted to have that done. Just for fun. Go to a church, admit my Atheism and have them do the whole song and dance, and then at the end jump up and scream "HALLELUJAH! Jesus, son of God, has shown me the light!" Then I'll just eat the food, flirt with the hot ones, and go home.

Hmm, you think they'd catch on if I had someone take pictures?

Dathu

Newbie Noob

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Dathu
Kyoko364

xd I've always wanted to have that done. Just for fun. Go to a church, admit my Atheism and have them do the whole song and dance, and then at the end jump up and scream "HALLELUJAH! Jesus, son of God, has shown me the light!" Then I'll just eat the food, flirt with the hot ones, and go home.

Everyone would be too busy with the exorcism to notice.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:35 pm
Kyoko364
Dathu
Kyoko364

User Image
Then I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:40 pm
Dathu
Kyoko364
Dathu
Kyoko364

User Image

Don't you get beat up during an exorcism? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:41 pm
Well I'm not in America so I can't comment on that, but I do know very well what its like to be discriminated on by[most orthodox] religious people when they find out your an atheist.

I've got tons of story's to share just from when I was looking at other religions to see if I might find any logic in there way and they always end up real funny for me or with EVERYONE pissed off epically when I confronted the head people about it.

For example one of the last things I said when I was done with Catholics is "you know your hole religion is based off a cult started and a book written 500 or more years after these events"
I think I had a hole cruch pissed.

when ever they do find out your an atheist they try to convert you even more with storys that try to scare you into joining.  

Free the immortal

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:42 pm
Dathu
Kyoko364
Dathu
Kyoko364

User Image

Pictures would be much appreciated.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:45 pm
stark espada1
Well I'm not in America so I can't comment on that, but I do know very well what its like to be discriminated on by[most orthodox] religious people when they find out your an atheist.

I've got tons of story's to share just from when I was looking at other religions to see if I might find any logic in there way and they always end up real funny for me or with EVERYONE pissed off epically when I confronted the head people about it.

For example one of the last things I said when I was done with Catholics is "you know your hole religion is based off a cult started and a book written 500 or more years after these events"

when ever they do find out your an atheist they try to convert you even more with storys that try to scare you into joining.

My own family is against me T-T. They keep telling me about "miracles" that happened in our family. I wonder why humans need an explanation for everything. They don't even care if they got it out of nowhere...  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Free the immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:17 pm
Random Rainbow Rukia
stark espada1

My own family is against me T-T. They keep telling me about "miracles" that happened in our family. I wonder why humans need an explanation for everything. They don't even care if they got it out of nowhere...
Oh listing to the miracle stuff is fun, seeing as 9 out of 10 times it can easily be figured out, But no its god who did it stop trying to bring in logic, an this is what I do when saying that --> lol  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:24 pm
stark espada1
Random Rainbow Rukia
stark espada1

Oh listing to the miracle stuff is fun, seeing as 9 out of 10 times it can easily be figured out, But no its god who did it stop trying to bring in logic, an this is what I do when saying that --> lol

huh? sarcasm?  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:41 pm
I don't know... but if you are White. And Atheist. You will be publicly criticized till you go bonkers I'll tell you that. These days, being white only adds to discrimination.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff