Submit

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:13 am
This game is not for the faint of heart.

It's not for those who expect to know everything there is to know about the game's mechanics within the first two minutes.

It's not one of those games you will be able to finish with a simple 3-4 hour afternoon delight.

This is an RPG for the nerdiest of the RPG fans. It's almost a literal punch to the balls/ovaries. You will probably turn it off a few times, like I have. Remember to save it first!

And you will probably wipe a few times too. The stats are pretty abysmal at first. Casters can start with under 5 HP. WTF?

This game offers you a mind-numbing dungeon crawling RPG in the purest sense. You dont even get to see what your characters look like.

Today's review is:
Ten bucks at my local Gamestop. Yay!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Dark Spire

You're probably sitting there going 'Decavolty, if this game is so hard, why should we play it?'.

I say you should play it because of that challenge. Far too many RPGs nowadays are simple. Mechanics and even storyline are generic and mediocre in exchange for pretty visuals. This game offers very few animations, and nothing I'd call 'pretty'. Hell, there's a graphics mode on this game that features a wireframe mode that only posts your coordinates, to give it a pen and paper feel.

vs

Spoilers: It's the same place.

As far as difficulty goes, think about this. The more I play the game, the more I learn about it. I didnt even know how to properly level up my character until yesterday, after a day of playing it. This game doesnt level you up automatically. It awards exp per kill, but you do the actual leveling up. There's no overabundance of healing potions, there arent even any potions that give you spell points back. At least none that I know of.

Hell, 9 out of 10 treasure chests are booby trapped. Not just a 'Oh it's just 3 damage I'll shrug it off' one either. The poison 'ogod my body' spikes. I get that more often than not.

There's ways around everything, though. With patience and a little (a lotta little) luck, you may just be able to conquer the challenge.

As you can see in my first picture, I posted what you'd consider the 'special edition'. It came with a music CD. Now, when you see a game come out with a music CD, you'd think the music must be top-notch.

You'd be right.

The major plus to this game is the musical score. I love every track that I've heard, as they all convey the message in the artwork, which I'd also give a thumbs up to. Oh, that's something too. The music changes as you go from pen and paper mode to DS mode. Not that that is a bad thing. It's an amazing transition.

Classic (Pen and Paper)

VS

DS Version

The difference is like night and day.

The story goes, the King's most trusted sorcerer steals the King's most prized treasure, and creates this giant structure (ahurr a dark spire maybe?). The player's objective is to climb to the top and retrieve the treasure. Along the way you do side quests, which obviously range in task. For example, I put a hat on a giant statue and laid him to rest or something like that.

You create your characters, but all you're doing is making a spreadsheet. You pick a race (The only thing this really does is determine what alignment you start [Order, Chaos, Neutral], and what the maximum is you can get on your stat rolls for certain stats [A dwarf can have 18 strength cap on the roll, where a human can only roll up to 14]. There's nothing cosmetic and you dont even choose a ******** gender), you roll your stats, pick one of four classes (more on those in a moment), and off you go!

There's only four classes at first. As you progress through the game you may pick up some others.

You've got your Basic Four.

1) Warrior. Hack this, slash that, look menacing while doing so.
2) Thief. The warrior is just a meatshield, I do the REAL damage.
3) Mage. Those fancy people with their armor and weapons. I do damage with my HANDS! *Tries to cast a spell but it fizzles*
4) Priest. They all talk a big game, but when they're hurt, who do they come to? Me. That's who.

Each of these classes are required in their own way. For example, the warrior is needed to tank through the game. The thief is needed to disarm the numerous booby traps, as well as pick the various locks. The mage is needed to do the real damage in the endgame (as well as use a spell that shows your current coordinates. That's right. You need a spell to tell you where you are on your map ) The priest is obviously needed to heal and perhaps do backup damage.

As you progress through the game you also get Advanced Classes. There's six of them. The Warrior-Thief (Ninja), Warrior-Mage (Samurai), The Warrior-Priest (Paladin), the Thief-Mage (Wizard [Yeah, I dunno either]), The Thief-Priest (Ranger), and finally the Mage-Priest (Druid).

The major advantage to any of this is that it lifts the restrictions of classes on spells and abilities. For example, if you were to wear plate mail on a Priest, you wouldnt be able to cast Priest spells. But if you became a Paladin, you can use Priest spells to your heart's content. The level of the Advanced Class is based off of the average of the two classes.

Obviously there's a ton more, but I cant be arsed to relay anymore information without spoiling the game.

This game is quite the throwback to when games were actually challenging and worth the challenge.

I give it a solid 7.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:42 am
Let me guess next place..
A secret door?
HAHA. Jokes.

Nerdiest of games xD
Funny much.  

Pichux

namex

Demonic Hellraiser

9,100 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Divine 500
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 am
sounds interesting....like a remake of an original rpg neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:22 pm
It's very interesting! scream

But yeah, it's probably only going to be for people who are in love with RPG challenges.  

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

smile into the chaos

Feisty Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 am
Think I might give this one a try. It's been compared to Etrian Odyssey, which was a decent title. Plus it's by Atlus, and their games are generally pretty addicting. And you've got to love a game with good music. Stuff like this is what gets the nostalgia pumping, and thus, a more urgent need to want to finish the game.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:15 pm
smile into the chaos
Think I might give this one a try. It's been compared to Etrian Odyssey, which was a decent title. Plus it's by Atlus, and their games are generally pretty addicting. And you've got to love a game with good music. Stuff like this is what gets the nostalgia pumping, and thus, a more urgent need to want to finish the game.

I also did a review on that game, which is a fair comparison. The difference is I think this game is actually harder.  

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

-Hel the Reaper-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:56 pm
Interesting, I think I would like to try this out. I haven't had a terribly challenging game lately (especially not on the DS).  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 pm
Frankly, I feel like getting this solely for the OST. That music is epic. I don't even LIKE most RPG's...
Good review, though.  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 am
The music is one of the higher points of the game. The gameplay itself is good for what it is, but the music is what sets it apart. Kudos to Atlus for realizing this and putting the CD out.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:59 am
The game's music is amazing. Adding to the point I love how the name sounds, and the game looks just amazing. Definitly have to check this out.  

Retro Love Machine

Allegro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:47 am
Yeah, from what I read, this was pretty much designed as a throwback to the Wizardy series. Which is fantastic.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:39 pm
This may give me reason to dust off my old DS. I've always liked RPGs but never played serious ones and the basic mechanics of this seem very solid.  

nerdyninja

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 am
Allegro
Yeah, from what I read, this was pretty much designed as a throwback to the Wizardy series. Which is fantastic.

THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR TO THROW IT BACK TO!

Thanks, man. *brofist*

NerdyNinja: Go for it. It was 10 bucks WITH the bonus CD at my Gamestop, so it shouldnt be that much more expensive anywhere else. Although people may just hate RPGs here. I dunno.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 pm
-Hel the Reaper-
Interesting, I think I would like to try this out. I haven't had a terribly challenging game lately (especially not on the DS).

I bought it, I'm loving it. Told all my friends about it.
XD Heheh 2 humans, elf, and halfling, Warrior, priest, mage and thief. My party is the epic.  

-Hel the Reaper-

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:23 am
-Hel the Reaper-
-Hel the Reaper-

I bought it, I'm loving it. Told all my friends about it.
XD Heheh 2 humans, elf, and halfling, Warrior, priest, mage and thief. My party is the epic.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sadly, there wont be much hurrah about this game.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff