Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Extended Discussions
The Human Race Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Human race screwed?
  Totally man
  Nah, they'll pull it out in the end
  I'll never say! *slinks off into black hole*
  *Strolls in yoinks gold and strolls out*
View Results

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:43 pm
It is my opinion that the human race is *censored* its self straight to hell. Okay...seriously the topic here is what do you think about the human race? Do you think that eventually we'll figure out that we're all the same living thing a human being and learn to get along and build our Utopia or do you think we'll blow ourselves up before the universe gets a chance to do it for us?

The reason I'm going with we'll wipe ourselves our or very close to it is because look at the children from years ago and looks at the children today. You can see the steady decline in so many areas from manors to brains. I've also found that it's the stupid people that tend to have 4+ kids while the smart people either have no kids or 1 or 2 the only time they have more is when Oops, honey just had triplets etc. They tend to breed within their budget while the stupid people breed outside their budget.

Then you look at how our ancestors left Europe to come to the Americas for religious freedom, yet we beat, burned, and god only knows what else to those that had any other religion but the one. The wars we constantly have there is rarely if has there ever been a time there wasn't a war going on somewhere. I don't think the human race would know what to do if there was peace world wide there would probably be a massive riot on the streets. stare

These are just my opinions what about yourselves?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:28 am
Some people actually believe we need all the conflict in the world to stay sane. I think that kind of thinking can only come about by an ailing race to be honest. We're so used to all the negativity and darkness in this world we think we can't live without it. I say this but... realistically, I don't know if utopia is a possibility. I don't think there's a high probability for it but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Every era has its pros and cons. We're so much more technologically advanced in this age but we also use that knowledge to fight amongst ourselves in terrible wars. Human beings are very very good at separating themselves from their fellow man. Man vs woman, religious vs non-religious, race vs race and so on. We're so good at giving into those animal instincts, and greed and violence because it's much harder to step back and look at the bigger picture. It's much harder to be genuinely compassionate and loving. Well, to some, these things can come easier of course, but generally humanity's just not good at it.

As for how kids are turning out well, I honestly think that's a very complex situation. No one thing is the culprit. Most "smart" people are career people who don't really have time for kids, hence them having 1 or no kids at all. But you know, it's no guarantee an intelligent couple will produce an inherently intelligent child. Even a dumbass couple can have a smart kid, same thing applies to beauty.

I'm often pessimistic about my own life, but as a human being looking out at the rest of my race, honestly we have to be optimistic and always work toward something better, otherwise how else can we expect to get to that "utopia"?

Iakun

Tybarious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:04 pm
a person can change but people rarely change, and usually happens in the face of major catastrophe. But honestly if the world was ever to experience a true world peace then it is a sign the world is coming to end (thats just my opinion)

But to be honest I don't believe wars are fought b/c of humans decline but really the conflicts of ideas. Which I think is healthly (not the killing part), humans arn't meant to stagate but to constantly adept and change, to grow, we weren't meant to live losolated infront of an computer or stay in one place for long periods of time. We're meant to explore, to learn, to come to new conclusion, to live.

I've been looking at the same problem you have for a long time now, and what I have noticed is that while we believe we have seperated us (humans) from nature, the natural process still takes place. What I mean is, every culture has come up with their own idea of the way life works. Some have failed and some have become successful. That is not to say some idea are inheritly meant to succeed.

Ok, I lost my train of thought now. sweatdrop I might pick it up later

edit: Some of you may disagree and I'm glad you do (sorry, sometimes I think about one thing and then type another, its so irrating)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:13 pm
I think different ways of living are healthy as well. I think the point when it becomes a problem is when we have, for example, certain religions telling their people that they're the special holy people and everyone else is damned to hell. It's those modes of different thinking that are dangerous and only serves to divide us and engenders hate and superiority complexes and causes us to look at the world in this "us and them" mentality when we're all human and living on this rock together.

By the way, I really agree with your second little paragraph, Ty. I think humans are meant to be much freer creatures, learning, growing, exploring etc. But look at human society today, boxed into cubicles at work, comfy homes, sitting in front of the computer all day etc. We're like trained little pets obediently staying in our doghouses.

Don't worry about losing your train of thought hehe You know, when I came up with the idea for this subforum, I was perfectly content to have it be simply a discussion forum. People can have debates if they wish, but it's not a rule that all threads here must be debates. God, it'd be much more stressful if this was a debate forum.

Iakun

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:15 pm
Hm...I can see both of your stand points or at least I think I can though tonight may not be the best night for me to reply to this I think I'll try. Brother you make a very good point about the kids and that there is no one single culprit but I was also trying to make a point with the only example that came to mind. As for the "smart" people and such you have a point there as well with them having a dumb kid and vise versa. However, I don't completely buy the because they're to busy they only have 1 kid or no kids. I also believe they think more about it, perhaps because they are busy or have a career or whatever, they think can we take care of this child? Can we raise this child? Can we afford this child? They don't tend to rush into it and have 50 kids, perhaps just because of their careers, but I see it as they think more about it.

*nods* Again you make a good point every era does have it's Pros and Cons. However, I wander is being technologically advanced such a good thing? Look at the teens that are CONSTENTLY txting all the time they can't stop even if they are with their friends. And many other things I can list but I can't remember them at this moment. It's taken away from us going out to get together or do things outside and I believe making our race dumber in away.

Ty I have to admit you make a point people rarely change though and I think that still applies even when they are faced with a major catastrophe, but that just might be me. *smiles* I can easily see a lot of people thinking if there was a world peace they'd think the end of the world is coming. Whether that's true or not only time would tell. Me I'd sit back and enjoy it myself. ^_^

I have to agree too with your second paragraph too but I agree with what my brother says. What you say is true yet look at how "society" has made us. Conformed sitting behind computers to work, working inside building in a rat maze called cubicles, in tiny machines, staying in one place to live etc. We are losing our "human" nature by your standards we no long explore, we no longer roam, we are isolated to some degree wouldn't you say? Yes, we learn but look at say your great grandfather or grandfather. I took a test one time of their "8th grade" exams cause my great grandfather never made it past the 8th grade. I took his exam and let me tell you they were teaching back then I didn't know even half the answers to those questions.

We have a motto "Leave no student behind" yet what is that doing to those kids that are getting it? They are now forced to be bored in class and start failing because they are so dang bored they start getting into trouble and believing they are done so we dumb down the classes even more to not leave them behind which makes things worse. Our school systems have dumbed down so much that we're barely learning what our ancestors were learning in like the 3rd grade by time we hit the 12th grade. I'm probably exaggerating the differences a bit much there but you guy's get the point.

Oh and Ty no worries about losing your train of thought I do it a lot. More times then I care to count. ^_~  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:31 pm
Moonracer
Hm...I can see both of your stand points or at least I think I can though tonight may not be the best night for me to reply to this I think I'll try. Brother you make a very good point about the kids and that there is no one single culprit but I was also trying to make a point with the only example that came to mind. As for the "smart" people and such you have a point there as well with them having a dumb kid and vise versa. However, I don't completely buy the because they're to busy they only have 1 kid or no kids. I also believe they think more about it, perhaps because they are busy or have a career or whatever, they think can we take care of this child? Can we raise this child? Can we afford this child? They don't tend to rush into it and have 50 kids, perhaps just because of their careers, but I see it as they think more about it.

More educated people are equipped with the facts of safe sex. I think they're somewhat less likely to have accidents if you know what I mean. I think a lot of smart people who are career people honestly make their career the priority in their life. Of course smart people think about it more because they look to the future, they think about careers, where they want to be in 5/10/15 years etc etc. I think today many intelligent people who are in careers also feel a pressure to devote their entire lives to those careers because there are careers that demand a lot out of you.

But there's also a cultural aspect to this aside from just how smart people are. My family's from Europe as you know, very traditional people, so family is super important and we have tons of kids. I've noticed my white, Canadian born friends and others I've met tend to be an only child. Bleh, I don't really know where I'm going with this, I feel like I can approach this from different angles so all I can say is what I said before: it's really complex haha

Quote:
*nods* Again you make a good point every era does have it's Pros and Cons. However, I wander is being technologically advanced such a good thing? Look at the teens that are CONSTENTLY txting all the time they can't stop even if they are with their friends. And many other things I can list but I can't remember them at this moment. It's taken away from us going out to get together or do things outside and I believe making our race dumber in away.

I think the development of our technology isn't a bad thing really. But we probably don't put a lot of our knowledge to its full potential. I can't stand watching kids constantly txting each other. It's like they'll die if you make them stop for just one minute, my sister's like this too. Her cellphone is constantly buzzing. There really is no privacy anymore, no time to be alone and reflect, look within yourself, really think about things etc.

Unfortunately, I've fallen to this internet addiction too. Before I had a computer I was much more active. I used to walk around, go to the park, hang out with friends. I mean ACTUALLY hang out with friends, not just sit on the sofa with them and watch tv. We'd actually wander around the neighborhoods and stuff, we'd find something to do.

Quote:
I have to agree too with your second paragraph too but I agree with what my brother says. What you say is true yet look at how "society" has made us. Conformed sitting behind computers to work, working inside building in a rat maze called cubicles, in tiny machines, staying in one place to live etc.

We're living in "bliss". We're more interested in who Angelina Jolie's next baby is gonna be and how fat or skinny Britney Spears is rather than the countless atrocities happening in other parts of the world. And even when we are aware of those atrocities, that terrible state of apathy just wafts over us.

Quote:
We have a motto "Leave no student behind" yet what is that doing to those kids that are getting it? They are now forced to be bored in class and start failing because they are so dang bored they start getting into trouble and believing they are done so we dumb down the classes even more to not leave them behind which makes things worse. Our school systems have dumbed down so much that we're barely learning what our ancestors were learning in like the 3rd grade by time we hit the 12th grade. I'm probably exaggerating the differences a bit much there but you guy's get the point.

No student left behind or whatever's an american thing. We don't have that kind of act over here in Canada I don't think. I think it's laziness. Real competent teachers are lacking and the lame teachers that are around don't want to deal with students having a more difficult time, so even if they can't grasp material they just push them on ahead. It's why there are plenty of kids in the 12 grade who probably only have an 8th grade reading and writing level, or lower. That and they don't want to hurt kids' feelings.

I actually think the entire approach to education needs to be overhauled.

Iakun

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:08 pm
You first point I have to agree it is a complex area really. Wish I knew where you were going cause it seems very interesting to me. Though I will say this perhaps a combination of brains and spiritual or emotional evolution is needed now. Perhaps another thread we can talk about this more. ^_~

Your second point...Okay you make valid points I don't think all technology is bad or the increase in it is bad and I do agree that we aren't putting our full knowledge into it or behind it. I just wonder when will it end? Will we become like the Time Machine movie were we eventually become so stupid that we can't even fix the machines we made or know how to feed ourselves or what not because machines had done it for so long that eventually we can't do the simplest things ourselves? I just wonder when do we unplug ourselves and learn to live again? I mean if we lost all technology how many people could actually survive?

Your sister can't stop txting even when she just gets home from seeing her friends. My friend can't leave her phone alone for to long heck my little cousin Jenny can't go to school without her phone so she can txt her friends in class. How messed up is that? *nods* Agreed I use to be far more active then I once was but I too have fallen pray to technology but it's the only way to keep in contact with some friends without driving my bills through the roof. ^_^ It is nice but the lack of safety and care that is spent on the Internet is less then reassuring.

Point Three... Society. That's my thing why do we care who her next baby is going to be, what star did what and so on? I mean it's a person okay sure they entertain us but I don't care what they do on their off time. Why can't countries just fix the problems in their own country and if it gets to bad for them to fix they turn to outside help and then if we feel it's a good cause we can donate or whatever?

Point Four...Education. It probably is wouldn't surprise me why American students are so stupid now days. You might have a theory there of it being laziness and the fact that competent teachers are seriously lacking. I remember very few teachers that were competent and not to mention made the class fun and interesting for the students. The lame/lazy ones far out weighed the good ones. Who cares about hurting the kid's feelings? The world will do that anyway and better to learn it when they're young so it can be fixed rather then when they are out on the job and then they're going "Well crap I can't do anything because my teacher didn't teach me this stuff." *nods* Agreed the education system needs a total overhaul! I agree!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:16 am
Wow, I take a couple days off, and we get a discussion started! surprised

Personally, I do think the human race is screwed, and we did it to ourselves. Stupid people do breed more, and the problem with that is not that stupidity is hereditary, but rather that it is learned. Same result, tho. The education system does have a part in it. I think they focus too much on trying to make everyone good at everything, so everyone ends up being good at nothing, except pretending that they're good at everything. xp

Technology has achieved its goal of giving us more free time. What we choose to do with it is the problem. Technology isn't perfect, but nothing is. I think we're still the ones at fault in this case.

I don't think peace is possible at all. Regardless of whether things are getting worse in the world, they're certainly not getting better. There have been no real improvements in human relations in millennia. People are the same no matter where you go or what time period you're in. And the truth is, nobody cares. About the future, about each other, about the planet. We only care about the things that facilitate our own survival, and only as long as they help us. So yeah, we're screwed. xp

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 pm
*chuckles* Well it came to mind I threw it out there it seems to have been at least somewhat of a hit. sweatdrop

*nods* You make a good point stupidity isn't so much hereditary but rather it is something that is learned. Thank you, I couldn't have put it any better in fact I was having troubles saying just that. *nods* Well seems we're in agreement about the education system needing an overhaul to straighten it out.

Technology I don't know if it's so much to give us more free time as I don't know something else. I mean human beings come up with these great technological advances but instead of putting them JUST to good uses they put them to...I don't want to say darker uses but more war oriented uses. Why not just use them to better mankind rather then destroy it? Yes, we're at fault for technology because it is simply technology we're the ones that think it up and put it to uses.... I lost where I was going with that train of thought there....oh well.

I don't think that's totally true. Because if we only cared about what facilitates our own survival we would care about the planet because it can't be replaced what's we're out of something that's it. Not to mention back in some time areas we were more connected then we are now. We HAD to help out our neighbors other wise we could starve, be killed, or whatever. So why have we lost that? Sure there were misunderstandings, it was a harder time, and more but still people were closer to each other gave a bit more of a damn then they do now days. For example back then most of the people knew every one of their neighbors, their kids, the animals, etc because they got along or had to so they could survive now days we're so out of touch with other people most of us don't even know our next door neighbor.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 pm
Actually, I believe that genetics does play a role in how smart you'll turn out in life. If it had no role then a lot more of us would be Einsteins because there are plenty of people out there that are exposed to good education. But then again we'd have to agree on a definition for smart. Does smart mean general common sense? (of which so many people don't even have, how's that for irony) Or is it book smarts? Wisdom's another one.

Iakun

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:58 pm
Well, the original goal for technology was to give us more free time. Back in the days of the industrial revolution. xd Vacuums and dishwashers were invented to give us more time. Telephones and computers were meant to help us work and communicate faster. I think most things were originally intended to make the world work faster. Except for TV. That was just an anomaly. xd

I actually think the example of how people used to be closer to each other only proves my point. People used to know their neighbors and stay close to family because they needed each other. We don't need as many people these days, or at least we don't SEEM to. Technology makes it seem like we're more autonomous than we are. ninja Dude is a perfect example of this. He doesn't care about anyone because he thinks he doesn't need people. He focuses on his computer and other technologies and sees people as a nuisance. Probably because he doesn't think about all the people behind every little thing he uses every day. 3nodding Perception is important to how people treat each other. You'd think that people would care about the planet on which their survival depends, but most people don't BELIEVE that their survival depends so heavily on our planet. They think our technology will save us. So they don't care.

And for genetics, you're right. I forgot to take that into account. But I still think that environment has a bigger effect on intelligence. Genetics creates the potential, but the environment determines how well it's used. Being exposed to a good education does no good if the parents teach by example that education is unimportant or that authority figures in schools aren't to be trusted or that books are for wimps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 pm
I think technology is meant to help us, but I also believe we've allowed ourselves to become slaves to our technology. There's a much higher instance these days of people who socialize purely online. Some think this isn't a big deal but I do think there is something wrong with this. When we start to prefer socializing online and not face to face with people and actually doing things together, it just starts seeming a bit messed up.

People are important, and we do need people. I don't think we're meant to live so solitary, and this is coming from someone who has issues socializing with people. The family unit is breaking down, neighbors are complete strangers to us, and internet culture has shown me the general lack of respect, and the apathy people hold in their dealings with other human beings.

Too many times I've seen people say "it's the internet, don't take things so seriously, it's just pixels". No, it's not. You may be anonymous on the internet, but to me it's not an excuse to abandon good manners and good treatment of others. If you bash someone online, call them stupid, or say any other number of things, you're not dealing with pixels; there IS another human being on the receiving end of your fire. This just highlights how detached people have become from their fellow man really.

And as for the genetics and intelligence, yeah I agree, the genetics hold the potential which is why it's so unfortunate how some people who could have the potential to be so great, are born into circumstances that make it nearly impossible to achieve that greatness.

Iakun

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 pm
I guess people will almost always choose the easier path, and that means using the internet to socialize, communicate, and anything else we can make it do. Sad, but true. sad  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:50 pm
purpleravenhawk
Well, the original goal for technology was to give us more free time. Back in the days of the industrial revolution. xd Vacuums and dishwashers were invented to give us more time. Telephones and computers were meant to help us work and communicate faster. I think most things were originally intended to make the world work faster. Except for TV. That was just an anomaly. xd

And see again the human race at their finest here. Humans NEVER...or at least rarely ever think far ahead into the future for example there use to be people at gas stations that filled up your tank, washed your windows, and checked your oil. You had a chance to tip them and so on. Then the pups changed so the average Joe could do it himself and those people lost their jobs. Another example the swamp lands of...Florida I think it is long ago they decide it's to swampy and we need the land for more housing what do they do they plant trees that will suck up the water so the swamp will become dryer and they can build their houses, now they're wondering why in the world the swamp is drying up and oh crap that can't be good for the delicate ececosystemStupid idiots. Technology is a dangerous thing that we tend to get sucked into and believe that it will "give us more time" when in truth it is taking away jobs and just making us lazy.

purpleravenhawk
I actually think the example of how people used to be closer to each other only proves my point. People used to know their neighbors and stay close to family because they needed each other. We don't need as many people these days, or at least we don't SEEM to. Technology makes it seem like we're more autonomous than we are. ninja Dude is a perfect example of this. He doesn't care about anyone because he thinks he doesn't need people. He focuses on his computer and other technologies and sees people as a nuisance. Probably because he doesn't think about all the people behind every little thing he uses every day. 3nodding Perception is important to how people treat each other. You'd think that people would care about the planet on which their survival depends, but most people don't BELIEVE that their survival depends so heavily on our planet. They think our technology will save us. So they don't care.

That's another problem with humans we're forgetting simple things like manors, morals, kindness, and respect. These simple things and how we are indeed a "pack" animal or at least a social animal seems to for whatever reason be forgotten. Why people think they don't need anyone, can stand on their own, and such is beyond me. Though...I do have a problem with that myself why that is I...can't really say for certain. People need to start looking ahead before doing some idea they pulled out of their arse and really thinking what effect it might have later on down the road. Like this one thing I saw to keep from having global warming to put a bunch of foil like reflectors, or something like that, out in space to reflect the suns rays back at it so we'll cool off. Do they think farther into the future what might happen? Do they think "Hm...what happens when we've cooled down?" Do they think, "How do we remove them once we've cooled down?" Do they think, "What happens if we can't remove them?" Probably not they just think, "Oh that will fix our problem" and then go on about life!

purpleravenhawk
And for genetics, you're right. I forgot to take that into account. But I still think that environment has a bigger effect on intelligence. Genetics creates the potential, but the environment determines how well it's used. Being exposed to a good education does no good if the parents teach by example that education is unimportant or that authority figures in schools aren't to be trusted or that books are for wimps.

I have to agree I think both play a big role neither can be without the other if the kid isn't smart to begin with or doesn't have the ability to grow smarter, however you want to put it, then even if he got into the best educational system in the world it wouldn't help him. However, the reverse can be said if the kid is a genius but is put in the worst possible educational system out there then his smarts go to waste. Then again you've got society already having things set up in their mind in a nice neat box. Bonafide geniuses I've noticed tend to be very...different rather mentally challenged, Atistic, or simply see things differently for whatever reason whether from the lack of something in the developement of their body or whatever. However because of societies nice little everyone must fit into this box idea most see them as "stupid retards" because they aren't the norm even if they are amazing. It's really freakin sound that society pushes people down or forces them to conform to a normality and so those with great potential to possibly save our a**, bring about world peace, cure some disease, or whatever they were put on this planet to do are now lost, laughed at, ashamed, or whatever else.

(I'm sorry I think I lost my train of thought on my rants...sorry)  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:12 pm
I totally agree. People aren't allowed to be unique. It's not fair, but it's what society has decided, no matter how boring it makes everyone.  
Extended Discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff