Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Put in your vote! MSNBC "In God We Trust" US Currency Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0UjgJBt3ONkG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:23 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

The results are extremely upsetting, put in your votes guys.

As for the discussion topic, should "In God We Trust" be kept on the currency? Keeping in mind that it was not added at the founding of the country, and not until the 50's (if I recall correctly) on the dollar bill.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:26 pm
Wow, I never felt more like a minority till I saw how many people wanna keep it in.. gonk  

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Exoskeletor

High-functioning Duck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:31 pm
^ I know what you mean O.o.

I never say "Under God" during the pledge of allegiance. I think it should be removed, even though it was added later. Can't we say under friendship or under peace or something like that? Something less religion-y?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:26 pm
Or just cut out the "under any damn thing" because it wasn't there in the first place.  

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:20 pm
It's funny when someone protests the removal of God from our pledge/currency by saying that we shouldn't change the pledge. What, so change is okay when it's adding your religious crap, but unpatriotic when we change it back? Though I find this argument is usually made out of ignorance to the history of the phrases, correcting them rarely sways their position.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:07 am
I completely agree.

You want to really feel like a minority? Look up any other "Atheists in the news" story, and then look at the comments. We're more hated than any other minority. "Atheists aren't Americans. They shouldn't have the same rights we do." "We should deport the Atheists." I'm not even exaggerating. The language gets much more colorful from there.  

alteregoivy

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:32 am
Only 12%? I'm amazed.

One of the comments:
Quote:
Those that do not believe in God do believe in money and have no problem spending it or working over time on a holiday. I think that since they are so against God they should work for free on holidays and take their pay in another form, maybe gift cards to wal-mart. Maybe they should remember why the settlers came to America in the first place. It wasn't because they didn't have anything better to do and thought they would go for a trip, it was for freedom of religion.Don't these people know that most religions have some kind of God they worship. Maybe they should form their own country and get their own money, or better yet they can get their own planet and leave Americans alone.

Someone needs to explain to me how this relates to taking "In God We Trust" off the currencty.
Atheists don't want it on there, so they should work for free on holidays?
A planet of atheists... I wonder if that would work any different than the real world?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:40 am
Secular Swarm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

The results are extremely upsetting, put in your votes guys.

As for the discussion topic, should "In God We Trust" be kept on the currency? Keeping in mind that it was not added at the founding of the country, and not until the 50's (if I recall correctly) on the dollar bill.

The first coin w/ "In God we Trust" was minted in 1864 and it began being used on all US coins in 1938. In 1957 it was added to the dollar (silver certificate)
http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

But yeah I have NEVER thought it has belonged there. Even if I WAS a religious person, I wouldn't want that on MONEY. Why would they want their God equated w/ something so dirty and "worldly" as money?  

imderanged

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:34 am
Wow 12 percent ...
Am I always a minority?
Yeah I think they should remove it
I mean if I don't they I'm not going to fuss over it but it shouldn't be there.
For the pledge of alliegiance, I also do not say "under God"  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:03 am
KuroFur
A planet of atheists... I wonder if that would work any different than the real world?

Well at least we wouldn't have to worry about The Crusades or Al Qaeda, right? At least, as long as the religious promised not to invade us... They'd come begging for help from our scientists one day, tho. ^_^  

alteregoivy

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:37 pm
alteregoivy
I completely agree.

You want to really feel like a minority? Look up any other "Atheists in the news" story, and then look at the comments. We're more hated than any other minority. "Atheists aren't Americans. They shouldn't have the same rights we do." "We should deport the Atheists." I'm not even exaggerating. The language gets much more colorful from there.

It's such a shame that exercising our first amendment right makes people consider us un-American, as though expressing desire to force everyone to conform to their religion is acting in the spirit of what our nation was founded on. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 pm
Wow, that's sad. Didn't one of the founding fathers say that America was in no way founded on the Christian faith? It seems like the modern government is trying to erase that ideal.  

Lyonette

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:24 pm
Well, I feel like a hated minority now. More proof as to why I should keep it to myself. stressed

Take the "under god" part out of the pledge and the "in god we trust" off the coin.

America is not a country for any one specific "god." You can live here and be a part of it with or without a god/gods and still be as much of a citizen as the next person. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:15 pm
Wow. That kinda gets to me.

but it's not too surprising though, I mean. Not a lot of Atheists probably watch,read, or listen to MSNBC. If that poll were somewhere else I'm sure the results would be much different.

Here's something you'll really like: When I recently joined the military we had to swear an oath to protect our country and what-have-you, but they gave us an option, instead of saying "I swear..." they said depending on your beliefs you may also say "I affirm.."

Now if only everyone could follow this example and leave freedom of religion be what it's meant to be.

This also comes to mind and makes me angry...
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/gardenpark/DSC00382.jpg  

EATSMEATS

BONK Atomic Punch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:38 pm
Apparently the doofuses who put that s**t on there don't know what the separation of Church and State means.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff