Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Typography Nerds Unite! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkSakura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 am
Good graphic design isn't just bold colors and neat layout! What about type? Publication? All of those are part of it.

So how many other type nerds are out there? What fonts do you like and why?

And yes, Helvetica is a staple, but let's get a few others.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:40 pm
Visitor, bebas, Centuray Gothic, Icecream Soda, Lumino and Geosans are my favorite.~ heart  

Larzar
Crew

Mr Professor Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:32 pm
My favorites would be Visitors, Calibri, Orlando and Zyphyte.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 pm
Adobe Garamond, Arial, Caslon, Baskerville....of course it all depends on if it is text for book layout or poster and banner signage. The whole readability verse legibility issue is always a fun issue. razz razz  

4ngel5pawn

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:27 am
John Baskerville invented the first font designed soley for printing! heart
And I like all fonts for their unique characteristics. I'm a fan of any script or novelty, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:38 pm
I really like using any Jellyka fonts (except for Castle's Queen, Endless Voyage, Love and Passion, and Waterways Seafarers. They don't really fit into my tastes), Century Gothic, Trajan Pro, Celine Dion Handwriting, and Copperplate Gothic Light on my graphics. :3  

Pikazoid

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:15 am
Ever since I studied into the craft of graffiti I've been more into creating my own kinds of lettering. Oddly enough, it's something I really enjoy, and if I get unlazy enough I just might make my own typesets. This site helps make that process a bit easier  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:31 pm
I really really love using simple fonts C: When I say simple, I don't mean the default fonts. Frankly, default fonts should never be used on a graphic, in my opinion. The fact that they are default ensures that everyone has them. This makes a graphic not so unique. There are so many different fonts out there! Go find some!

What usually turns me off from a graphic (made by another person) is the recognition of a font. I like saying to myself, "Oh my! What a really nice font! I wonder what s/he used!" If I see a graphic and I go "Oh, that's Birth of a Hero, Scriptina, violation, and bleeding cowboys" then it doesn't really give me any reason to be excited about it--unless there's like a really cute picture or something. Or I think "Man this banner would've looked really nice! If only they used a different font..."

My current favorites at the moment are New Cicle, Tall Dark and Handsome and Zag. Simple fonts work with quite a lot of different themes, so the flexibility makes it appealing to work with. C: Batman Beat the Hell out of Me is another fun font that my friends and I love. Though I rarely use it, I just love having it in my collection!

Bear-Garden

PhoeJynx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:12 am
I am in love with Future Std, the entire family. It's clean, easy to understand, no frills and it just looks nice when put into a design! rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:20 am
PhoeJynx
I am in love with Future Std, the entire family. It's clean, easy to understand, no frills and it just looks nice when put into a design! rofl

Futura?

Knockout is my favorite. It's by Hoefler & Frere-Jones and includes a massive font family. The design is based off of old boxing posters. It's a great and versatile typeface.  

im Damien

Sumomo4life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:55 pm
I would really love to get some new fonts for CS3 anyone know how and where to get them? I'm running windows vista and i'd like the fonts to be from somewhere that is free.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:02 pm
Sumomo4life
I would really love to get some new fonts for CS3 anyone know how and where to get them? I'm running windows vista and i'd like the fonts to be from somewhere that is free.
Same as you would get fonts for anything else. Run a search if you don't already know of a site to get fonts from, download, and install. So long as they're in the right folder, any program that uses text should be able to access them just fine - you don't need special fonts for CS3 or Vista. Though, if something offers fonts for both Windows and Mac, obviously you'll want to go for the ones marked for Windows.  

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

DrStones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:50 am
times new roman ftw

User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:51 am
Sumomo4life

youtube it.  

DrStones

Sumomo4life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:20 pm
.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.
Sumomo4life
Same as you would get fonts for anything else. Run a search if you don't already know of a site to get fonts from, download, and install. So long as they're in the right folder, any program that uses text should be able to access them just fine - you don't need special fonts for CS3 or Vista. Though, if something offers fonts for both Windows and Mac, obviously you'll want to go for the ones marked for Windows.
Ty what folder do i put them in though? ^^  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces