Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Should there be an Atheist social movement? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Atheists have a social movement?
  yes
  no
View Results

Piroki-chan23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:54 pm
I have been thinking about a lot of things the past week or so. Namely Atheism, my fellow Atheists, and how we compare to other minority groups.
I have come to the conclusion that there must be some form of social revolution in our society (or at least the American one) in order for us to viewed as equal.
Statistically, we are the least trusted group out there. The only reason why no one ever hears of violence towards Atheists is because religion isn't something that comes up on a regular basis and thus there are no ways to tell if someone is Atheist unless they say so. I wouldn't be surprised if Christians turned violent towards us if we had some universal symbol of Atheism with us at all times.
I find that the main problem is that people don't know much about evolution and/or the Big Bang so they automatically assume that they're anti-god. There is no part of the theory of evolution that states "There is no god" and the same is for the Big Bang theory.
For pubic demonstrations I would suggest public lectures or speeches on the theories of evolution and the Big Bang.

Ultimately, such a movement cannot be accomplished alone. Would you take part in this? If so, what would you do?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 pm
Yes, I think there should be an atheist movement to enlighten the masses!

I say we must educate people on the subject of atheism, telling them what we do, what we are NOT and the like.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 pm
I have to strongly disagree.
Making atheism a social movement makes it no different from what most of anti-religion people are disagreeing.
Science is nothing more than another religion. And every religion leads to forcing itself somehow, especially the stronger it gets. ninja
And what does it mean to "enlighten the masses"?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:05 am
The idea that atheists should be passive and not proselytize is rather silly. It is essentially saying 'we came to it on our own, so you should to!'

If you actually have issues with religion, then you should try to convert people. Otherwise you are saying 'good enough for me, not good enough for them.'  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Indie_lullaby

Tipsy Gawker

6,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 am
Eh. I like the idea of a social movement. However, I think the timing is bad. I would wait a bit longer until our numbers grow then start a social movement. A non-violent movement.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:12 am
Indie_lullaby
Eh. I like the idea of a social movement. However, I think the timing is bad. I would wait a bit longer until our numbers grow then start a social movement. A non-violent movement.

^ exactly  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Raticiel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:00 pm
Louis-Auguste Robespierre
The idea that atheists should be passive and not proselytize is rather silly. It is essentially saying 'we came to it on our own, so you should to!'

If you actually have issues with religion, then you should try to convert people. Otherwise you are saying 'good enough for me, not good enough for them.'

Why should I if they are satisfied with their faith?
I'd rather live the way I am and let other live the way they want to, let them believe whatever they want as long as they won't hurt anyone in front of my eyes.
I think that's what toleration is all about.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:05 pm
Raticiel

I'd rather live the way I am and let other live the way they want to, let them believe whatever they want as long as they won't hurt anyone in front of my eyes.

Who said anything about toleration? I am saying there is nothing wrong with trying to 'convert' people to atheism.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:12 pm
Raticiel

Who said anything about toleration? I am saying there is nothing wrong with trying to 'convert' people to atheism.

i actually dislike it when christians try to convert atheist and others to their religion
so i don't think we should try convert others  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:27 pm
I'm sure there are many different opinions on this topic, but here's mine:
I don't think that there's anything wrong with an honest Christian trying to convert an atheist. Yes, I believe the Christian is deluded but whatever; he's simply doing what he thinks is right. I do, however, think that brainwashing little kids from the get go is wrong.
I think it is perfectly fine for atheists to try and convince other religious people to our way of thinking. Although we'll receive a lot more crap for trying to convert than let's say.. Christians, it is still worth trying if we want. I don't think anything is wrong with that.
If you really believe that theism is causing so many problems with our society then there is nothing wrong with trying to change that, but I think it's always good to keep an open mind and hear out all the religious people's arguments no matter how deluded you think they are. That way, at least you gave them a chance before they gave you one.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:21 pm
Well, I would like there to be more common sense base ideals spread and not so much of the superstitious or the fear mongering.

That's all I want, you can keep your fantasy but let me live in reality and don't push your uneducated views on me.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:37 pm
so if we do
then how can we set such a great movement?  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:21 am
User Image

Hey, the christians try to convert us all the time.
So why can't we do the same to them?
I mean, I wouldn't care enough to have a social movement
if they hadn't cared enough to target us.
But ah, they're not that nice.
(oh there I go again, that "eye for an eye" sentiment)

At any rate, a social movement would be awesome,
provided that people don't start rioting and burning
us alive like they did back in England in those witch
hunts.

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:50 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
so if we do

I suggest starting groups in local areas to discuss and plan public speaches and protests. With local groups in communities across the planet, we will have a system of organazation that will give us the upper hand.
I would say to only speak out against religions that offended Atheists (mainly Christianity and Catholosism). For the most part, I would give pubic lectures on evolution and the Big Bang. Let those who oppose debate against us; with our superior logic it will be far less of a debate and more of making the opposition seem moronic.
I just hope it's all non-violent.  

Piroki-chan23

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:14 pm
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
so if we do

I suggest starting groups in local areas to discuss and plan public speaches and protests. With local groups in communities across the planet, we will have a system of organazation that will give us the upper hand.
I would say to only speak out against religions that offended Atheists (mainly Christianity and Catholosism). For the most part, I would give pubic lectures on evolution and the Big Bang. Let those who oppose debate against us; with our superior logic it will be far less of a debate and more of making the opposition seem moronic.
I just hope it's all non-violent.

yes definetly
even if they do try to threaten us or what not
we must stay calm and be "nice" to them
like don't use profanity because that makes us sound savage
i doubt i can start one
considering the place where i live has like a church on every block
and there's barely any atheist at all  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff