Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
has religion ever caused war? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

has religion ever caused war
  yes
  no
View Results

Undecillion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm
has religion ever caused war? and if so could you provide a valid source that would confirm such?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:49 pm
one of the top of my head, all of the Crusades that invaded the Jerusalem, if you want better info for the crusades.
Crusades between 1095 and 1291

the 911 attacks were religiously based.
Tony Blair (English prime minister) said god told him to go with the americans and invade the middle east.

Alexander the great called himself the son of Zeus after he had conquered Egypt and used that as a basis to plot world domination.

Most wars are based on religious claims and the rest are for the safety of the land or just to claim more land.  

Dark Lord Erebus

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:59 pm
Religon doesn't cause war, but merely an exuse for it.

A dictator with low troops is obviously going to try and obtain great quantaties of followers quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 pm
Pirate Captain Sushi
Religon doesn't cause war, but merely an exuse for it.

A dictator with low troops is obviously going to try and obtain great quantaties of followers quickly.
I agree with this. However some religions say their followers should convert heretics. But that's still just a part of human nature. Or should I say: male nature? Paternalism is so evil evil (I'm starting to be more and more feministic about this stuff xd ) I wonder, just wonder, what would happen if women were ruling the world.  

Raticiel

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:56 pm
User Image

Uh, yeah, more than it should ever have.

9/11 attacks prompted the "war on terrorism".
Osama bin Laden deemed the attack as a big step of their "Holy War".

All monarchs in history ruled in the name of god, and declared war
in the name of god, claiming that their enemies are "god's enemies".

Salem witch hunts were done in the name of god.

Too damn many.

@Raticiel: If women ruled the world, we would still have wars. Don't worry.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:07 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

Uh, yeah, more than it should ever have.

9/11 attacks prompted the "war on terrorism".
Osama bin Laden deemed the attack as a big step of their "Holy War".

All monarchs in history ruled in the name of god, and declared war
in the name of god, claiming that their enemies are "god's enemies".

Salem witch hunts were done in the name of god.

Too damn many.

@Raticiel: If women ruled the world, we would still have wars. Don't worry.

User Image

Probably yes... But I wonder about the way the culture would change and what kind of values would be most important. For example males in the world of animals are always fighting between each other in order to get the area/females. Females are breeding kids and hunting (sorry I just watched a movie about wild cats so that's why I'm putting this as example rolleyes ) and generally not fighting around the same species. I know this might be very naive but I still believe there is something with male biology which makes them so rival. (yes i know women also become rivals often but it's somehow different, I don't know how to name it sweatdrop )  

Raticiel

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:28 am
User Image
Raticiel
Probably yes... But I wonder about the way the culture would change and what kind of values would be most important. For example males in the world of animals are always fighting between each other in order to get the area/females. Females are breeding kids and hunting (sorry I just watched a movie about wild cats so that's why I'm putting this as example rolleyes ) and generally not fighting around the same species. I know this might be very naive but I still believe there is something with male biology which makes them so rival. (yes i know women also become rivals often but it's somehow different, I don't know how to name it sweatdrop )

Women fight for men, too. And when they do it's usually 10 times worse than men's fights (Have you seen these cat fights before: Girls fight? OUCH). And while women may have less desire to conquer land, women also have a great capacity to play it dirty (for example the worst a woman can do to avenge a cheating husband is pour acid over the mistress's face. Now imagine something as horrid as that, except on a bigger scale with more victims). Women may be more willing to negotiate, but they may also be willing to team up, plot, discriminate and do things under the table, the nasty way.

Okay I'm sounding sexist so I'll throw this out there: Aggressive behavior is related to testosterone, a primary hormone among males. This doesn't mean that females aren't aggressive, since they have testosterone as well. However, since testosterone is predominant in males, any changes in the T levels are more clearly shown in men than in women.

Basically, there is a higher chance for a person to be aggressive when he/she is low on testosterone. When women are low on T, it won't matter as much to them since what really matters is estrogen, the female hormone. But when men are low on T, they have nothing else to turn to (they have estrogen too but it can't compensate the low level in T since they are completely different hormones), and this causes mood swings, and subsequently aggression (More info: Influence of T on aggression). Similarly when women are low on estrogen there will be negative effects, but that's another story.

So that might explain why you feel there is something in male biology makes them so aggressive.

What I'm just trying to say, is that it may be true that men are quick to get into fights over land or food or women; but women can get into fights just as quick over men or children or family. When a woman feels her loved ones are threatened... you don't want to be near her.

There really isn't any standard you can judge people upon, especially nowadays when society play a strict role in shaping people's lives. Men can be gentle, women can be aggressive. To say that just because they are women the world is bound to be a nicer place if they ruled is an ignorant assumption.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:43 am
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image
Raticiel

Women fight for men, too. And when they do it's usually 10 times worse than men's fights (Have you seen these cat fights before: Girls fight? OUCH). And while women may have less desire to conquer land, women also have a great capacity to play it dirty (for example the worst a woman can do to avenge a cheating husband is pour acid over the mistress's face. Now imagine something as horrid as that, except on a bigger scale with more victims). Women may be more willing to negotiate, but they may also be willing to team up, plot, discriminate and do things under the table, the nasty way.

Okay I'm sounding sexist so I'll throw this out there: Aggressive behavior is related to testosterone, a primary hormone among males. This doesn't mean that females aren't aggressive, since they have testosterone as well. However, since testosterone is predominant in males, any changes in the T levels are more clearly shown in men than in women.

Basically, there is a higher chance for a person to be aggressive when he/she is low on testosterone. When women are low on T, it won't matter as much to them since what really matters is estrogen, the female hormone. But when men are low on T, they have nothing else to turn to (they have estrogen too but it can't compensate the low level in T since they are completely different hormones), and this causes mood swings, and subsequently aggression (More info: Influence of T on aggression). Similarly when women are low on estrogen there will be negative effects, but that's another story.

So that might explain why you feel there is something in male biology makes them so aggressive.

What I'm just trying to say, is that it may be true that men are quick to get into fights over land or food or women; but women can get into fights just as quick over men or children or family. When a woman feels her loved ones are threatened... you don't want to be near her.

There really isn't any standard you can judge people upon, especially nowadays when society play a strict role in shaping people's lives. Men can be gentle, women can be aggressive. To say that just because they are women the world is bound to be a nicer place if they ruled is an ignorant assumption.

User Image
Aww, you're right I forgot about hormons wink "Hormon" is a name of a popular student club in my city, and a place of many catfights (mostly girls fighting over... girls cool ) Maybe that explains the hidden meaning of it's name rofl I have to show this page to my friend on monday...
Yeah, society, the root of all evil ninja I don't know if that was just a translation, but yeaars ago I watched New adventures of Winnie the pooh, and Piglet said (when Tiger wanted to accuse him for stealing something, I don't remeber well) "it's not my fault, it's society's fault!" - that became a cult text at my home. My little brother's favourite excuse cool  

Raticiel

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:29 am
Let's not forget the 1600s-1800s.
Back then, religion was like gangs fighting for territory.
Religion was very serious back then and they showed it. Many everywhere died from something like this until they started to make religious laws more strict AND promote it more through-out the country.
Religion has been the act of violence throughout years and have been a reason to start war.
INFACT, religion was the reason why Jesus was brutally killed.

( Note: I believe Jesus existed. However, I believe he was a crack-pot with a bunch of followers that were bums and whores. XP )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:52 am
Captain_Shinzo
Religion was very serious back then and they showed it. Many everywhere died from something like this until they started to make religious laws more strict AND promote it more through-out the country.
Religion has been the act of violence throughout years and have been a reason to start war.

( Note: I believe Jesus existed. However, I believe he was a crack-pot with a bunch of followers that were bums and whores. XP )
It's historically "proven" Jesus existed. But some of his followers weren't that stupid... Look how rich their descendants are now cool  

Raticiel

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:07 am
Raticiel
Captain_Shinzo

It's historically "proven" Jesus existed. But some of his followers weren't that stupid... Look how rich their descendants are now cool

The key word is descendants.
Were the FOLLOWERS rich? Their wealth shouldn't even matter, really.
Besides, I didn't say they were stupid. I said they were bums and whores.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:27 pm
id say the crusades was the biggest example of religion starting war but if you look at it there are tons of other wars that were based on religion  

dl1371

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:42 pm
User Image
Raticiel
Aww, you're right I forgot about hormons wink "Hormon" is a name of a popular student club in my city, and a place of many catfights (mostly girls fighting over... girls cool ) Maybe that explains the hidden meaning of it's name rofl I have to show this page to my friend on monday...
Yeah, society, the root of all evil ninja I don't know if that was just a translation, but yeaars ago I watched New adventures of Winnie the pooh, and Piglet said (when Tiger wanted to accuse him for stealing something, I don't remeber well) "it's not my fault, it's society's fault!" - that became a cult text at my home. My little brother's favourite excuse cool

I didn't say society was evil. I said society was playing a significant role in shaping people's lives, and following that, "men can be gentle and women can be aggressive". Meaning that society has made it possible for men to not be aggressive even if their natural hormones makes it easier for them to be violent; and society has also made women aggressive even if it isn't in their nature to fight or be violent.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:52 am
Captain_Shinzo
Raticiel
Captain_Shinzo

The key word is descendants.
Were the FOLLOWERS rich? Their wealth shouldn't even matter, really.
Besides, I didn't say they were stupid. I said they were bums and whores.
Sorry, english is not my mother language, I always thought "bum" is something like "a*****e" or "idiot", and "whore" is, well, the way you call someone you don't like wink besides I personally prefer euphemisms.
If the followers were smart and had a good pr, they could make many other people follow them and as result we have a very rich church today. By descendants I didn't mean they're related by blood, it was a metaphor. Thank you. xd  

Raticiel

Raticiel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:03 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image
Raticiel

I didn't say society was evil. I said society was playing a significant role in shaping people's lives, and following that, "men can be gentle and women can be aggressive". Meaning that society has made it possible for men to not be aggressive even if their natural hormones makes it easier for them to be violent; and society has also made women aggressive even if it isn't in their nature to fight or be violent.

User Image
I also didn't say society is evil, however it's the root of "evil" in Rousseau's sense (for example). And yes, it plays a very significant role, but which values are chosen as most important was always decided by men, not women. What you just pictured is what "backlash" is all about. They seem like they want to show women that feminism is a giant failure and going to work/being socially active/driving the car/whatever is pleasant, simply contradicts the mythical "woman nature".
The main mystery to me is *who* "they" actually are... ninja anyway it's pretty clear to me when I read man magazines.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff