Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rad Electropow

Invisible Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:26 am
http://kotaku.com/5372065/wii-update-42-is-killing-wiis-dead
Quote:
The Nintendo support forums and our tips email alike are packed with reports that Wii system update 4.2 is doing horrible things to Wii consoles, and not just the modded ones.

A quick scan of the Nintendo tech support forum tells the tale of a system update gone slightly awry. The update is freezing halfway through. The update is giving system errors informing customers that their Wii has been modified and then failing to start. There are even reports of random disk read errors following the update. While some of the problems can be attributed to modified systems, customers are reporting issues with units right out of the box.

Kotakuite Crazy Weavile submitted a possible explanation for the problems on the Nintendo forums, suggesting that the latest update irresponsibly updated the system's bootloader, only to find himself banned shortly thereafter.

While no help is on the horizon for modded console owners, Nintendo tech Jane posted a message in the forums yesterday instructing owners of unmodded Wiis to send their units in for a free repair.

Quote:
Some of you have reported problems with your Wii console after updating to the Wii System Menu 4.2. The symptoms most people are describing usually occur when the Wii has been modified. However, some of you also mention your system has never been modified.

We'd like to help get your system working properly again. If you're experiencing problems with your Wii console after downloading Wii System Menu 4.2, and you believe your system has not been modified, please give us a call. If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

Please call our Customer Service Department at your earliest convenience, 1-800-2.... We are open 6 AM to 7 PM, Pacific Time, 7 days a week.

Update your Wii at your own risk.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:48 am
NOW PEOPLE CAN FEEL THE PAIN WITH ME. YAY. AHAHAHAHAHA.  

Super Cheesio

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:47 am
Super Cheesio
NOW PEOPLE CAN FEEL THE PAIN WITH ME. YAY. AHAHAHAHAHA.
Shut up, you little modder. You deserved that one.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:36 pm
But when you send it in for repairs, isnt there a chance that theyll delete your data?

Happened to the guy who makes the Brawl in the Family comics. They fix'd it at the cost of him losing all of his internal savd data, including the games he downloaded and stuff.

Good thing I havnt upgraded since I got my Wii. xd  

J of The Wind

Shirtless Phantom

9,975 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100

The Rawk Hawk

Fashionable Nerd

6,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:28 pm
J of The Wind
But when you send it in for repairs, isnt there a chance that theyll delete your data?

Happened to the guy who makes the Brawl in the Family comics. They fix'd it at the cost of him losing all of his internal savd data, including the games he downloaded and stuff.

Good thing I havnt upgraded since I got my Wii. xd

Yeah, you will lose all your data.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:35 pm
Well I just updated my Wii so it could play Punch-Out!! and other games coming out this year.  

MaverickDrifter

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:45 pm
this update formats your Wii and makes it so only cheaply produced shovelware will work on it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:11 am
I didn't have any problems. Did anyone in this guild have any problems? I mean, I know Cheesio did, but he's a modder.  

Waynebrizzle

Orphie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:21 am
I haven't checked to see if I have any problems yet. Maybe I should. :/  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:37 am
Waynebrizzle
I didn't have any problems. Did anyone in this guild have any problems? I mean, I know Cheesio did, but he's a modder.
I haven't had problems with updates. My Wii broke a while ago.  

Super Cheesio

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:24 am
Waynebrizzle
I didn't update, because i too have homebrew. just not a lot of mods. and it clearly says on homebrew.

DON'T F*%^IN UPDATE!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 am
..yea I'm not updating..

don't want my emulators to go...especially when were close to getting all the gba gbc an gb games working on it.

plus I'll miss the lime green theme we added.

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,075 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500

L a s t B a s t a r d

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:35 pm
That's funny. I updated it with no consequences. I have a perfectly good running Wii. Besides, they have taken notice and will fix it if it ******** up, right?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:25 am
Yeah, no way in hell I'm updating this one. It makes me sad that Nintendo's gotten so desperate to shut down homebrew on the Wii that they've released a system update that's the equivalent of Russian roulette, and for what? What the hell is homebrew doing to hurt them? Hell, if anything, it drums up more interest in the Wii.

As I see it, my Wii is in a pretty good place right now. I've got SDHC support and the SD card menu, I've got homebrew, all of it works, and I almost have all my save files back from the last time I sent my Wii in to Nintendo (and I specifically waited until after I got it back from that incident to install homebrew). Once I do a run of the Paper Mario series and work on Brawl some more, I should be right back where I was, and then some. And I see no reason to risk that for a potentially fatal update that has no benefit and no purpose other than to attempt (and fail) to crush something I enjoy.

Well, potentially fail, anyway. Sure, Team Twiizers has already gotten around the new update, but if the update bricks the Wii, then technically they did succeed in getting rid of homebrew on it.  

GuruGuru214

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:21 am
GuruGuru214
Yeah, no way in hell I'm updating this one. It makes me sad that Nintendo's gotten so desperate to shut down homebrew on the Wii that they've released a system update that's the equivalent of Russian roulette, and for what? What the hell is homebrew doing to hurt them? Hell, if anything, it drums up more interest in the Wii.

As I see it, my Wii is in a pretty good place right now. I've got SDHC support and the SD card menu, I've got homebrew, all of it works, and I almost have all my save files back from the last time I sent my Wii in to Nintendo (and I specifically waited until after I got it back from that incident to install homebrew). Once I do a run of the Paper Mario series and work on Brawl some more, I should be right back where I was, and then some. And I see no reason to risk that for a potentially fatal update that has no benefit and no purpose other than to attempt (and fail) to crush something I enjoy.

Well, potentially fail, anyway. Sure, Team Twiizers has already gotten around the new update, but if the update bricks the Wii, then technically they did succeed in getting rid of homebrew on it.

They're trying to stop homebrew because people pirate with it.

And it's not Russian roulette. The people getting these problems are a humongous minority. Nobody in this guild has had that problem, and there are at least a thousand members, so look at that for a frame of reference. Ten people on a forum might seem large on that forum, but remember that it's just that; ten people.

I feel bad for those people that got gipped by this update, but Nintendo wouldn't have to do it if people weren't pirating all the time.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff