Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheism Growing in Iraq Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:48 am
Quote:
Sun. Oct. 11, 2009

By Afif Sarhan, IOL Correspondent

Many are blaming the crisis on the war and its repercussions.
BAGHDAD – Although their number remains insignificant and most of them hid their identity, the fact that some people are leaving Islam and becoming atheists is a troubling news in conservative Iraq.

“I was surprised a couple of weeks ago when my son told me that his colleague at college told him that his father had become an atheist,” Sheik Abdul-Rassoul al-Rabia’a, a religion teacher at Baghdad University, told IslamOnline.net.

Not only did the father abandon his Muslim faith, he wanted his son to follow in his footsteps.

“I suggested to my son bringing his friend home and talked with him that despite his father’s thinking, he should continue to follow his Muslim heart and never deny his God,” al-Rabia’a said.

Linking that to the non-stop violence plaguing the country since the 2003 US invasion, some Iraqis are becoming atheists.

Most of them have had personal incidents involving either themselves or close relatives.

“Iraq is a land without God or any other kind of major protective superior form,” claims one atheist who declined to be named fearing reprisal.

“We have been forgotten and it is better to think only rationally than emotionally. I left behind my old beliefs because it is the only way to protect my children from any harm that God isn’t being able to do.”

Yasser (not his real name) is grouping up with others who have also renounced their faiths.

“When we first decided to organise ourselves, we were only eight people,” he told IOL.

“And after seven months, our number has reached to 34 but many other groups are being formed countrywide according to my contacts in northern and southern Iraq.

“We believe that today in Iraq, there are at least 220 atheists linked to the groups nationwide.”

Caro (not his real name), 41, also claims their numbers are on the rise.

“Each day we are having more followers and maybe one day we will be able to have our own centre where we will be able to discuss our ideas and nature creation.”

Alien

Iraq in Focus (Special Page)

Iraqis say atheism is just so alien to conservative Iraq.

“If a westerner told me that he doesn’t believe in God, I would keep my mouth shut and never discuss it with him,” says Abdul-Rassoul al-Rabia’a.

“But when I hear that a born Muslim adopted atheism, I feel strong enough to help him find the true path.”

He believes the trend is becoming common in many regions in Iraq.

“No one is guiltier than the Americans who brought such ideas to Iraqis.”

Sara Waleed, 36, religion teacher at a primary school in Baghdad, says sometimes children ask her about atheism and say they heard the word from someone in the family who had become an atheist.

“Our kids today are different from before. They are aware of everything and are growing fast,” she told IOL.

“When I hear this I try to give a lesson that reinforces Islam so that the kids would not forget their origin.”

Yasser recognizes that what he and his friends are doing is alien to the conservative Iraqi society.

“It might be stranger for many people that a man who was raised in a very close Muslim tradition goes against his family and personal beliefs and create a group that doesn’t believe in a major creator.”

He blamed this on the war and its repercussions.

“Violence, religious differences, deaths, hunger, displacement and many other issues made me ask myself where God is,” he said.

Iraq fell into a bloody cycle of violence following the 2003 US invasion, leaving hundreds of thousands killed and maimed.

“I tried to find God during the last years,” says Yasser.

“I realised that he isn’t looking after us and instead we are moving ourselves according to the human nature and not an abstract force.”

But Waleed, the teacher, insists this is no reason to abandon one’s religion.

“I lost two brothers during the war and didn’t stop believing but instead my faith became stronger,” she said.

"I turned to Islam for my personal spiritual comfort."

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1254573498385&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

I never would have expected this eek Although it is about time. How much do the Iraqi people have to suffer to realize that their god doesn't give two shits about them?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:16 am
Overall, I'm glad this is happening! The more atheists in this world, the better. We've been seen as such a disliked minorty for a long time now. If we can rise in numbers, our party could become a more gradually accepted one.

Quote:
But when I hear that a born Muslim adopted atheism, I feel strong enough to help him find the true path

This made me get the douche-chills.
gonk

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:52 am
I'm glad to hear it; if anyone needed cooler heads...

Still, I do somewhat fear the repercussions. If the religious ones that are left blame Americans for bringing the idea of Atheism to their people, then that could be even more problematic for us.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:32 pm
Even if the movement's small, it's awesome that it has surfaced. Aside from the usual intolerant behavour that comes about with a new movement, i doubt this could lead to anything big like more war.  

G4NTZ

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:43 pm
I think that sounds great. Although I don't really care if they stayed muslim but I mean now I think people are beginning to see that there isn't a god afterall. I mean if god care about them wouldn't god protected them and such (liked he "promised") ... why didn't he protected the jewish during the Hitler's times.

Anyway yeah soon we will be the majority =] mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:45 pm
Pirate Captain Sushi
Overall, I'm glad this is happening! The more atheists in this world, the better. We've been seen as such a disliked minorty for a long time now. If we can rise in numbers, our party could become a more gradually accepted one.

Personally, I don't believe more atheists alone will lead to more acceptance. In fact, I'm sure there will be many people who could twist this around based on lies and ignorance. Speaking from an American standpoint (I don't know how it is in other countries), when you think of the people who tend to dislike us, they also tend to stereotype without listening to reason. The "patriotic Christians"-- the ones who adamantly believe that without God, one cannot be an American, and the ones who also think that all Muslims are terrorists-- would probably look at this and use it as a means to connect terrorism and atheism.

It's sad, really, but it's happened before, during the red scare. They connected communism with atheism, and unfortunately some of those bad feelings are still around today (e.g. "Those godless commie liberals!!").  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:36 pm
YES! First Iraq, then.......
THE WORLD!!!
Monks will realize that doing nothing is gay and Buddhists will learn that believing in some fat chubby dude will do nothing for them.
RELIGIOUS PEOPLE EVERYWHERE WILL BOW DOWN AND BURN ALL THEIR RELIGIOUS TEXTS TO PRAISE THE ABSOLUTE NOTHING!!!

This is a dramatization but still.
This is actually very weird. The Middle East of all people?
Jesus, the terrorists are smarter then our own government. >.>
Even though I believe 9/11 was gay but still...

Anyway, this is a surprise.
There is three things that could happen:

1. The beginning of the Scientific Social Movement.
* The idea that people will become bored of religion in the near future. *

2. The world will start to realize that religion can very from person to person and they shouldn't try to force beliefs. Argo, making many countries world-wide Democratic or atleast better.

3. The Terminator, also known as Californian governor Arnold Swarts-a-******, will come from the future to warn the citizens that becoming Atheists will lead to the attack of robots.
Understand that back when Arnold did the Red Scar, no one really gave a s**t. They didn't understand that it would effect their country so badly.

First, people are more open-minded. So if someone starts spouting that Atheism is communism, people will protest and start saying
" Shut da ******** up, man. >.> "

Also, if Atheism spreads like this, it wont just end. Politics will even start to become Atheists.

Lastly, something like the Red Scar can't happen again.
I'll explain later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 pm
Captain_Shinzo

First, people are more open-minded. So if someone starts spouting that Atheism is communism, people will protest and start saying

Also, if Atheism spreads like this, it wont just end. Politics will even start to become Atheists.

I'll explain later.

Well, perhaps not in the same magnitude, but I already see a great deal of ignorance and fear among the group I mentioned about "those terrorist muslims!!". I'm not saying that it's a bad thing for people in Iraq to start coming out as atheist, but just numbers won't convince the people who typically spread hatred and fear for atheism.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:12 pm
alteregoivy
I'm glad to hear it; if anyone needed cooler heads...

Still, I do somewhat fear the repercussions. If the religious ones that are left blame Americans for bringing the idea of Atheism to their people, then that could be even more problematic for us.

Oh s*** eek .  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14 pm
Pixel Mine
Captain_Shinzo

I'll explain later.

Well, perhaps not in the same magnitude, but I already see a great deal of ignorance and fear among the group I mentioned about "those terrorist muslims!!". I'm not saying that it's a bad thing for people in Iraq to start coming out as atheist, but just numbers won't convince the people who typically spread hatred and fear for atheism.

Well, most of that was in my opinions. Only some of it was in reply to yours.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:20 pm
"Today in North America, 1,000,000 fan-girls converted to Twilight cults and abandoned Christianity." - A Fake Reporter

I think this is a bigger problem then people changing views of religion. It's practically the same thing anyway I see it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:28 pm
Aren't heretics lynched in Iraq?

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 am
[-Erik-]

Yes, that's why the atheists in Iraq are staying under the radar and still pretending to believe in Allah.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:58 pm
[-Erik-]
Atheists are treated the worst in Muslim country's. If they find out, they'll do more then just lynch you.  

Zambimaru

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:27 pm
User Image

Even iraq has growing atheism...

I speculate that it's only a matter of time before we finally evolve out of the religious state.

YAY!

User Image

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas